I am always skeptical about using the word "extreme" in the name of a fragrance. Sometimes this emphasis is used because the main notes are bolder. It may as well happen that the fragrance is stronger and possibly performs better. Usually you don't get both developments.
With Vetiver Extreme
you get a little bit of each and some notes have been changed. You lose the orange opening note; in the bottom notes, tobacco is replaced by a more intense and soturn cedar. Vetiver Extreme also performs slightly better, either because of the notes change, or because the concentration of some ingredients has changed as well.
The scent is still very similar to the original vetiver, but a little less "Barbershop" and a little drier and more herbaceous. It's also a little darker, likely due to the use of Haitian vetiver.
For my taste, I would like it to be even more earthy and smoky.
Still, I have to admit that this scent is pretty good and one of the best "vetivers" I've ever experienced.
And yes ... I like this flanker more than the original!
- It's less "barbershop", but it's still "barbershop".
- It's more herbal and has a darker shade of green, but it's still green.
- It has a lesser fresh start, but it still has a fresh start.
- There is also some sweetness present. I associate it with anise and it makes this scent more attractive.
- There's also a smoky chord that I don't recognize in the original version, and I like it better that way.
- The dryness is more oriental and intense than in the classic version, probably due to the notes of cedar and tonka.
Extreme rating of this Guerlain Vétiver:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 9.0 (Guerlain's well-mastered citrus accords)
- DryDown: 8.5 (woody and intense)
- Longevity: 8.5 (slightly longer life than 9 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.5 (up to 6 ~ 7 ft sillage and 2.5 hours of projection)
- Versatility: 8.5 (above average for a fresh scent)
- Ease of use: 9.0 (literally very cold everywhere except outdoors)
- Praise: 8.5 (good at complimenting; the ladies think it's male)
- Exclusivity: 8.0 (this fragrance is a flanker of the regular Vétiver)
- Quality: 9.5 (quite high)
- Presentation: 7.5 (very discreet ... a matter of opinion)
- Price: 8.5 (30 € / 100 ml + taxes, on sale; testers were 5.0 € cheaper)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average: 8.55 / 10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal to or greater than 9 => don't miss it;
Opinion on Guerlain Vétiver Extreme:
Very good flanker and providing a similar (or better?) satisfaction as the original. Value for money is quite high. Choosing this or the original version only depends on your personal taste. You may decide for the more aromatic and intense one (Vétiver Extreme) or for the more formal, alluring and a tiny less intense one (original version). Both are very masculine and suitable for any user looking for a manly scent.
Recommended? Yes indeed.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for any of the Guerlain Vétiver versions.
I recommend this fragrance. It is an inexpensive near niche quality fresh vetiver perfume.
Music: Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - "Shallow"