Vetiver Extreme 2007

Vetiver Extreme by Guerlain
Bottle Design Robert Granai
Vetiver Extreme is a popular perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2007. The scent is green-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
LemonLemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesPepperPepper
NutmegNutmeg
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver
CedarCedar
Tonka beanTonka bean

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 16.10.2021.

Rquill67
Deeper and darker vetiver!
I enjoy deeper darker and smokier fragrances, and so the addition of incense to Guerlain's Vetiver Extreme was right up my alley. The combination of tarragon and licorice, along with the incense sets this fragrance apart. Definitely has the Guerlain DNA, and that's what makes this one a good one. Guerlain knows how to blend fragrances. Guerlain is a house that's been around for a long time now, so I can often count on Guerlain to deliver. Great for spring and fall, but probably not summer unless you want to be daring (and really who doesn't? lol) This is a 7 / 10 for me!

ScentSlave
I bought this after the original Vetiver grew on me
While they DO indeed have a similarity, there IS also a DEFINITE difference. This one (Extreme) doesn’t smell as “open” or “sunny” as the original. It’s much more of a “condensed” or “compacted” vibe. The original is MUCH MORE of a “widespread” feeling scent. I’m not saying one is better than the other; it’s a matter of preference. I personally like the way the Extreme feels better. The original feels almost “louder”... a kind of “spread out” feeling. The extreme DOES have just as strong of a presence, it’s just more of a slightly “cleaner” flow. I can’t help but to think of the original of as feeling like unwrapped hay, while the extreme is a wrapped and tied bundle. I hope that makes some sense.

As they dry down, the similarities, still present, continue progressing in this trend. Extreme is much more of an “organized” feel. The original is more of a “outdoorsy” vibe while the Extreme has more of a “professional” feeling to it; and I always thought the original felt like a “Doctors” or “professors” scent. Imagine that. Therefore, if the original was a Dr. or Professor, than Extreme is the department head and/or the Dean. Think of the original as feeling like a fresh picked, at the farm, newly sprouted aroma that’s resonating out loudly; thick, even outside the barn. In the same sense think of the Extreme as prepared, clean cut and packaged. A well arranged and presented aroma that is still full and loud; just giving with more of a tightly knit, symmetrically sound resonance. Such a vivid picture they both paint.

They both have pretty much the same projection radius (1-2ft), with a light sillage trail, and the longevity is about 3-5 hours on my skin. If you love one of them, you’d love the other, and they ARE different enough to grab both. The same ideology would apply if you DISLIKED one or the other; if you didn’t like one, you won’t like the other, as they ARE similar enough to hate them both too.

I personally like them both. The original had to grow on me. It took a while for me to acquire that “mature grassy” feel, but once I liked it, I LOVED it. After it grew on me, I grabbed the Extreme. They both paint such clear pictures, so rich and so vibrant. It’s fragrances like these that make me grateful for parfumo.net. I wouldn’t even know that Guerlain existed if I hadn’t found it.

Flaviu12
Guerlain Vetiver Extreme, the resistance structure of men's perfumery!!
So lets start folks! In the beggining i have to say that this superb frag from Guerlain its in my most loved vetiver frag for men all time! Vetiver extrem start superb with that superb explosion of vetiver, good ol” vetiver that u ve got from the original, with spices and incense, super potent in the opening. From like 30 minutes 1 h, start to developed into more modern intepratation besides Original Vetiver, this is more herbal/more green if u like it. The green grassi notes are strong, just like the original Vetiver and gives u a fresh spicey, earty vibe, very manly, bold and timeless. Frakincense adds the smoky touch to this martepiece, and will follow in each and every steps of the development. The base of the frag its more like oriental/woody/lemony with just a little bit of sweetness from tonka, but the vetiver is very dominant.
Longevity its super good for my version batch of 2016, 7+ Good H, with strong 3 H projection and with decent silage like 1 arm leght.
Age at least 23-25+, for true connoisseurs and for those who really appreciate good vetivers.
All in all i do recomand this for every serios collector of fragrances.
I ll give 8,5 note out of 10.
SchatzSucher
Nature boy and gentleman in beautiful harmony
Vetiver Extreme is one of the first fragrances in my collection to have vetiver as its main theme. In others it is more of an accompaniment.
At the time I had to see what Vetiver was all about. Ah, a sweet grass species from Asia. I had already suspected grass, so I was not wrong. And you don't want to stay completely uneducated Basically, I am a mainstream trulla in my heart, as I mainly look around the mass market. First small steps towards a niche market have been cautious and hesitant so far.
The house Guerlain serves both departments very nicely, from affordable to highly exclusive, everything is included.
Vetiver Extreme belongs to the more affordable fragrances, but is not a mass market in my eyes.

Yes and already they caught me again that I have a guerlain smell on my wrap...

I changed this scent here a few months ago. I didn't know it before and I have not yet met the original father from 1959. In the shops you don't find the Extreme version so often, mostly you have to order it And I was torn for a while as to whether the fragrance would be allowed to stay in my collection or move on. But I have decided and it may stay
As for the fragrance itself, let me say:
It starts off citric, but bergamot and lemon are of a serious and very tart nature right from the start, they are rather subdued in their actually fresh brightness and appear very herbaceous green. Quickly dry-spicy components are added, a fine pinch of pepper brings a very slight pungency, nutmeg a little bitterness, which underlines the serious character very nicely.
Vetiver sets the tone here, underlined by cedar wood, which gives a beautiful woody impression. A touch of warmth pervades the fragrance the whole time. I can only guess at tonka bean What strikes me very strongly is this somewhat peculiar tobacco note, which appears again and again. Tobacco is not listed, but seems to have been used. There is a hint of smoke in the air. This makes Vetiver Extreme a very dry looking scent, quite idiosyncratic A rich, dark and woody green buzzes in my head when I wear the fragrance.

I am often a bit distant from the rather harsher scents and am not really attracted to this scent, but the whole thing has been implemented here in a really pleasant way and nothing disturbs my nose, nothing scratches, nothing pricks. And this seriousness is of very friendly basic character.

In my opinion, the right season for Vetiver Extreme is autumn, when it is already getting cooler, the leaves are changing colour and nature is developing a very special peculiar scent, of leaves, moss, damp earth and much more. Vetiver Extreme is the perfect companion to this special autumn scent.
I see the perfect gentleman in front of me, correctly dressed, who knows what he wants and doesn't want, but who also likes to be a robust nature boy with a checkered shirt, rough boots and a casual full beard and who has retained a certain ladishness and wisely roams through nature. So through and through fundamentally sympathetic.

Regarding the durability it can be said that an office day without overtime is definitely possible and the scent is anything but obtrusive, even if it is one sprayer more. Colleagues at work will not be annoyed by any means.
The bottle is the typical one that has been used by Guerlain for men's fragrances for some time, simple and well made.
The term "extremes" is misleading here again, but I don't want to talk about marketing again.
Vetiver is certainly not extremely knocked around the wearer's ears and the scent is not extremely strong either. Smell extremely well, you can attest to that.

In short, a beautifully made vetiver scent suitable for everyday use, which I like very much, but into which I had to grow a little. Now it has not become the greatest enthusiasm, but I like to have Vetiver Extreme with me and it is a pleasant, very sympathetic and reliable companion. And I can transfer the individuality to myself very well ;-)

The extreme vetiver compromise
I am always skeptical about using the word "extreme" in the name of a fragrance. Sometimes this emphasis is used because the main notes are bolder. It may as well happen that the fragrance is stronger and possibly performs better. Usually you don't get both developments.
With Vetiver Extreme you get a little bit of each and some notes have been changed. You lose the orange opening note; in the bottom notes, tobacco is replaced by a more intense and soturn cedar. Vetiver Extreme also performs slightly better, either because of the notes change, or because the concentration of some ingredients has changed as well.
The scent is still very similar to the original vetiver, but a little less "Barbershop" and a little drier and more herbaceous. It's also a little darker, likely due to the use of Haitian vetiver.
For my taste, I would like it to be even more earthy and smoky.
Still, I have to admit that this scent is pretty good and one of the best "vetivers" I've ever experienced.

And yes ... I like this flanker more than the original!
Why? Because...
- It's less "barbershop", but it's still "barbershop".
- It's more herbal and has a darker shade of green, but it's still green.
- It has a lesser fresh start, but it still has a fresh start.
- There is also some sweetness present. I associate it with anise and it makes this scent more attractive.
- There's also a smoky chord that I don't recognize in the original version, and I like it better that way.
- The dryness is more oriental and intense than in the classic version, probably due to the notes of cedar and tonka.

Extreme rating of this Guerlain Vétiver:
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 9.0 (Guerlain's well-mastered citrus accords)
- DryDown: 8.5 (woody and intense)
- Longevity: 8.5 (slightly longer life than 9 hours with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 8.5 (up to 6 ~ 7 ft sillage and 2.5 hours of projection)
- Versatility: 8.5 (above average for a fresh scent)
- Ease of use: 9.0 (literally very cold everywhere except outdoors)
- Praise: 8.5 (good at complimenting; the ladies think it's male)
- Exclusivity: 8.0 (this fragrance is a flanker of the regular Vétiver)
- Quality: 9.5 (quite high)
- Presentation: 7.5 (very discreet ... a matter of opinion)
- Price: 8.5 (30 € / 100 ml + taxes, on sale; testers were 5.0 € cheaper)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Average: 8.55 / 10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal to or greater than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on Guerlain Vétiver Extreme:
Very good flanker and providing a similar (or better?) satisfaction as the original. Value for money is quite high. Choosing this or the original version only depends on your personal taste. You may decide for the more aromatic and intense one (Vétiver Extreme) or for the more formal, alluring and a tiny less intense one (original version). Both are very masculine and suitable for any user looking for a manly scent.
Recommended? Yes indeed.
Blind buy worthy? Yes for any of the Guerlain Vétiver versions.
I recommend this fragrance. It is an inexpensive near niche quality fresh vetiver perfume.

Music: Lady Gaga & Bradley Cooper - "Shallow"

Hajuvana
If you're able to ignore Luca Turin's review...
...you've probably noticed that most others are positive (and rightfully so).

Vetiver Extrême is essentially a herbal take on the vetiver root (as opposed to two main schools of the contemporary vetiver - the woodies & the smokies). Here, the vetiver note is surrounded by a herbal, licorice-like top and an almost leathery base, which might be the combination of incense, pepper and something sweet and cardamom-like. What might be upsetting for some Guerlain-enthusiasts is the fact that this is a quite linear scent. Plus there are some shamelessly synthetic notes in this - altogether a pretty odd thing coming from the house of Guerlain, who IMO are doing superb job achieving a relatively 'natural' feel (and skin-time-evolution) even with their more affordable products.

If you're like me and prefer your vetivers clean, herbal, and without smokiness or ISO-E-super, this is something you might want to give a sniff. Though I'll have to agree that this is not your typical Guerlain masculine. You won't find a gorgeous citrus opening here. Nor it has a classical top-to-down structure. To be honest, It might even smell a bit cheap at times (which might be due to the fact that it IS cheap). But if you think outside the Guerlain box and move into the context of contemporary perfumery in general, those aren't necessarily faults or weaknesses.
As a downside worth mentioning, I've found Vetiver Extrême's longevity just barely average and its sillage way below average.

P.S. I'm very curious about who composed this. It can't possibly be Jean-Paul Guerlain, that's for sure.

Prosperonlin
A very satisfying scent for men
I saw on Youtube someone saying that Guerlain Vetiver Extreme was for a 70, 80, 90 yo, and remembered that the experts say that there are only two kinds of fragrances: the good scents and the bad ones. If we shouldn't say that a scent is for women or men, how can one say it is for the very oldies?Is it not fashionable? What is fashion anyway? You are what you smell, smell well? I agree that there are scents with a juvenal, youth aura that suits, of course, young people. Also I agree that thare are time and place for everything under the Sun. But I cannot agree that a scent is good but only if you are over the rainbow and beoynd together with the mothballs. Guerlain Vetiver Extreme is my first vetiver, although vetiver is in almost everything under that same Sun. And for me it smells great, really wonderful. Walking to work I got winfss of it and I couldn't belelive it was me, my vetiver giving me that very satisfying smell that just makes one feel good with himself and the world, it was almost like the first ...time wearing a scent, for me and I am 50+. I suppose one could say that it is because I am almost getting there. A young profesional man can pull GVE off? Of couse he can, if he wants to be taken seriously. But that is only one of his choices and there are plenty of them. I think I don't need to say anything about notes for other serious reviewers have done that better than I ever could. Just a final thought I wear a scent for myselfself firstly and try not to offend the ones aroud me.

Miaw2
Great flanker, but not very extreme
Not as dark as Encre Noire neither as sweet as L'Occitane Vetyver.

It's a great take on vetiver that's sweet and smoky at the same time with a great balance between sweetness (tonka) and smokyness (pepper/incense).

Smells elegant and classy - not outdated.

Longevity, lasting power and sillage are medium-high.

Updated January 2014

Flaviu12Flaviu12 1 year ago
Just 3 words: Classy- Manly-anthological.
Too good, 8.5 out of 10! Must have for every serious collector.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
Classy, manly, strong, easy to wear vétiver. Guerlain designed a vétiver fragrance to please everybody. The barbershop wave is here to stay.

by Shivsri13
by 123321
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Millésime Vanilla Planifolia by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain