L'Homme Idéal Extrême 2020

L'Homme Idéal Extrême by Guerlain
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
L'Homme Idéal Extrême is a new perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2020. The scent is sweet-oriental. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Almond
Heart Notes Heart NotesCinnamon, Plum, Heliotrope
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Cedar, Tobacco, Leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 29.11.2020.

Serres74
My number three fragrance for men...
...somehow I got the taste to try men's fragrances now and then. Some were allowed to move on immediately, others were allowed to stay. So after I was so enthusiastic about Jaipur Homme from Boucheron and Rochas Man from...um...Rochas?! it could be this scent, because the pyramid of scents is all mine Well what can I say...Bull's-eye!!! When the bergamot and the pepper have warped, the palatable cinnamon comes out...probably the plum makes him so, so...gggrrrrr...animalistic? At least there should be no male being around me who carries this scent...otherwise I can't guarantee anything ;-)
As the wine progresses, almond and heliotrope are added, which gives it a slightly bittersweet note. I have noticed that when heliotrope and almond appear in fragrances, they like to stick to my taste buds...at least I have the feeling of having a coated tongue all day long...in a positive sense, of course In the drydown I hear a creamy tobacco, not one of those smoky, scratchy, disgusting (sorry) ashtray tobacco scents like Orto Parisi's Terroni (as you can see, I'm still trying to get over this trauma) supported by the cedar, which contributes this spicy, woody note. I don't necessarily perceive leather, patchouli not really either.
The Sillage is ok...the durability too, although I wouldn't have minded if the scent would last longer...for an extréme unfortunately weak, the only thing I have to complain about...otherwise top scent!

KimJong
As a long-time fan of Guerlain,
I received this earlier this month and thought I would wear it when the weather got colder. And I wore it for the first time today. To be honest, I have some complaints. The complaint is not because Extrême is not very good. Because it is not very Guerlain-like. I've heard pretty friendly compliments several times during the day today, and this is rare on days like these days when most people wear masks. It means that Extrême is a popular mainstream cologne, classified as a 'compliment getter', and it's very successful in that point. But as for my personal impressions, it's not the type of piece that constantly inspires something for me, and it's even a little mediocre, compared to Guerlain's previous pieces. Anyway I felt that some parts of the L'Homme Idéal Extrême were similar to Herod. Especially the mild cinnamon combined with cigarettes, and so is the overall mood and aspect. However Extrême is neither smoky nor animalic unlike Herod. It has a delicious sweetness that subtly flows from the background rather than a tangy sweetness. If I can say this, Extrême is cute. It has a little childish impression. It certainly doesn't fit my age well and I'm a bit embarrassed. Here Parfumo and other perfume communities I've read several comments saying Extrême is a good manly cologne. Of course it is. On the one hand, it's far from the masculinity I expected. I'm still a bit confused, and I think I bought a good cologne at an affordable price, but I think this should be called Thierry Wasser's 'product' rather than Guerlain's 'art piece'. Still I enjoyed the compliments I received today (including those from a person I don't know). Actually most of the compliments aroused by fragrance products are only meaningless greetings and it's not a evidence that it makes me stand out more, but nonetheless.
3lbows
The almond has a home now!
Yes, yes, the hommes idéales of this world - they didn't have an easy start with me. Starting with the OG, the EdT, which I tested in the Duty Free in Barcelona in 2018 and although it raised my left eyebrow because of its rugged amaretto note, it couldn't arouse my desire for more, I ended up with a full bottle of the EdP, which in my opinion is the best of the line. But more about that later.
This is supposed to be Homme Idéal Extrême, the latest flanker in a series that I think I had to revise my testing of the entire series. Because:
The original Edt does not appeal to me per se. Interesting, yes, but unbalanced and difficult to locate: Summer? Too sweet. Fall/winter? Almond component too fresh/scratchy/bright.
But then the EdP blew me away. After the EdT someone probably thought: Ok, now we have the almond, now let's embed it not only creatively but also appropriately. And voilá - the EdP wraps the almond in a round, sweet garment of cherry, (soft) rose and a touch of leather, thus accompanying its wearer just as creatively, but much more harmoniously than Duftaura in the background. To bite into!
So, but now really to the extreme: I only came to the Edp through him. In my search for autumn fragrances, prominently featured as the 2020 novelty in the red M, I wanted to give Guerlain's Homme Idéal series another chance. The pretty red bottle with its autumnal content did the rest. And what was that? The almond now has a home! Right after spraying it on, I notice a distinct tobacco note, accompanied by cherry. Cherry tobacco it is. And that, together with the almond, makes for a dream trio, much more coherent, so even with the EdT, since here all the components play in the same sweet category. That simply fits together. Only at the end of the drydown, when the gourmand substructure runs out of air, Extrême becomes more scratchy, just like the EdT. The EdP sounds more harmonic and coherent, is also calmer and sweeter over the whole course of the game.
Since I would like to see more short information myself, I am trying to rewrite Homme Idéal Extrême in the style of some Fragrantica users. Please don't take the Anglicisms away from me

WOW RATING: 8/10
Loud, sweet cherry tobacco scent with a fresh component.

DISLIKE RATING: 3/10
Drop and round. If you don't like gourmand sweets or fragrances that go in the direction of Pure Havane, it's better to avoid them. But don't worry: cardboard sweet or chewing gum-like is by no means!
UNIQUENESS: 7/10
One rarely smells the combo almond-cherry-tobacco, the tobacco primer on the other hand more often.

MASS APPROVAL: 8/10
Not mainstream, but suitable for the mainstream. Perfect to attract attention in autumn without being a nuisance
PROJECTION: 5/10
Not a space filler, but perceptible over an arm's length.

SILLAGE: 7/10
Projected less, but the scent comes through at regular intervals.

DURABILITY 8/10:
A valuable Guerlain - on the skin he likes to go along for 8 hours, but the last 2 hours are very close
SELF-PROOFING:
Does not fade out with me - the whole day over wahrnembar.

DOSING:
4 splashes and good is'.

FLACON:
Valuable, great colouring, well-dosing spray button. I would just like to have the rubber coating on the edge of the first EdP bottles, for example.

TIME OF THE YEAR:
Autumn. Clearly. In late autumn and winter then to EdP.

WHEN TO CARRY:
Work, leisure, going out. Yes - even after the sport I could still imagine it.

AMBIENTS / EMOTIONS:
Playful, active, extroverted - spending a sunny autumn afternoon outside with friends or the children.

VERSATILITY: 7/10
Versatile, but extroverted.

SEX:
Due to the tobacco clearly male.

ALTER:
20+
BLIND-BUY:

No - fill up first!

ALTERNATIVES:
Pure Havane, One Million Priveé, but less: Spicebomb, Herod, Rehab - these go in a spicier, sweeter and therefore more wintry direction.

CONCLUSION:
For me bottleworthy, if you have to choose a Homme idéal, and the EdP already has.

Nice, sweet/spicy plum/tobacco mix
One of the most recent releases from Guerlain is L’Homme Ideal Extreme, a sweet, spicy, boozy mix that feels very apropos for the upcoming cooler weather in the northern hemisphere. Its note mix consists primarily of plum, tobacco, almond, pink pepper, patchouli, woods, and just a hint of leather. The plum/tobacco mix is especially telling, with plum being a lovely sweet and boozy additive to contrast the bitter/smoky/green aspects of tobacco, with other supportive notes.

It has an effective sweet and spicy balance, perhaps slightly more sweet than it is boozy but it overall feels complete and well-thought-out, relatively safe but with some intrigue. This could easily be a fall/winter staple for men in particular, for those who are not sweet-averse. It performs pretty well, in EDP concentration, meeting the expectation of a perfume beyond a designer/cheapie.

I blind bought this from News Parfums some weeks ago after seeing a favorable review, and unfortunately it does not yet seem to be available in the US, though it’s currently for sale on Harrods’ website at $73 for 50ml. I paid a little more via News Parfums at a little over $80 for the 50ml size. The retail pricing seems very reasonable overall for the quality, utility, and performance.

I regard it as a successful blind buy and a recommended try for those that have access it to it now for those, like myself, in the US when it becomes available here.

8 out of 10

“The spicy almond”
When I first smelled this i thought was a bit unpleasant to my nose due to the spices which differentiate this from the other “almondy fragrances” from the line which I was used. Later I started getting the plum and the heliotrope which are really well blended, after that this one still maintain the almond and simil-cherry vibe of the predecessor without being too sweet! In the dry down you get the tobacco leathery but they’re both softer maybe because of the tonka undertones even its not present on the note list! Longevity and projection on my skin are the best from the line with an easy 8 hr!which is still above average but not extreme...

Chanelle
The ideal man is a woman, it's as simple as that.
As much as I admire Yatagan and his unrivalled comments, we both disagree with the last L'Homme Ideal Flanker.
I had to test it 3 times to be sure, then it was out: L'homme Ideal Extreme is Mon Guerlain Intense for men. For women too, by the way Never before have I felt such a close relationship between two Guerlain fragrances: almond, cinnamon, cherry, definitely. But also the typical Mon Guerlain attributes! Lavender caramel.
For hours I didn't trust my nose and thought I might have caught MGI after all, but of course I didn't.
Please, see for yourself. Except for a leather wrap and an admittedly deliciously sweet tobacco note, the two fragrance twins are the only ones to be found. A bit obvious, Thierry. I'm not falling for that...
Yatagan
All's well that ends well!
Uncommented fragrances No. 152

In all brevity I would like to at least record my first impressions of this fragrance, which I will look at more closely and test for its suitability for everyday use. While I considered almost all variants of L'Homme Idéal to be more or less average or even unsuccessful (except for the cologne I adored, but which I have already withdrawn from circulation) and actually assumed that there was nothing to be saved in the conception (far too much almond for a men's fragrance), I am quite taken with the latest variant. Actually, I had even expected that I could like it better, because if you combine the almond, which is obligatory in all Ideal variants, with patchouli (in my opinion very important here), tobacco and plum, i.e. with ingredients that are themselves so strong that they keep the almond in check, everything can only get better, and that's how it is.
In Drydown, I think there's even a certain parallel to Heritage, one of my favourite Guerlain men's scents, as patchouli comes out more clearly at this point, while almond and plum (actually not a bad idea for a men's scent) slowly retreat. At this time you can also smell the tobacco much more clearly. In my opinion, leather is hardly ever present, at least not in this unspeakable Tuscan leatherette or soft leatherette variant or as recently with Patchouli Ardent, but at best underground. I myself actually do not really smell it. Clearly I still recognize the cinnamon, but together with the plum, it becomes a very strong scent. Fortunately, it doesn't ring the Christmas bells, but is still suitable for spring and autumn: just a nice, warm spice.
It's certainly not a very big Guerlain fragrance, but I fluctuate between 7.5 and 8.0, and since many people here know me and I stand by my Guerlain bonus, the fragrance even gets the better note for now. Whether it will stay that way, you can see on this page. In any case, it's finally a completely successful version of the L'Homme Idéal, which I've almost declared dead, in addition to the great cologne, which remains unrivalled for me.
All's well that ends well.

Nik604Nik604 2 months ago
Another hyper sweets, genderless edition... mehh . Now they totally ruin the original.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 3 months ago
Very good combination of Heliotrope, leather and almond (coumarin). There's a touch of tobacco too. Masculine and different from the line

by Headstrong
by Headstrong
by Pistazieneis
Bereit für einen extrem idealen Tag!
by EauSavage
by Tabernero
by Tabernero

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Instant Magic (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain