L'Homme Idéal Extrême 2020

L'Homme Idéal Extrême by Guerlain
Bottle Design Thierry de Baschmakoff
L'Homme Idéal Extrême is a new perfume by Guerlain for men and was released in 2020. The scent is sweet-spicy. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Pink pepper, Almond
Heart Notes Heart NotesCinnamon, Plum, Heliotrope
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Cedar, Tobacco, Leather

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 01.03.2021.

MrTee
L'Homme Idéal Extrême exudes luxury, elegance and sophistication.
I recently read that humans can "distinguish at least 1 trillion different odors, up from previous estimates of a mere 10,000 ... awareness of our innate smelling abilities, however, is complicated because the human language doesn’t have words for a trillion smells" which brings me to my point, with L'Homme Idéal Extrême, I find that I am at loss for words; nonetheless, I'll take a stab at it.

It is too simplistic to dismiss Idéal Extrême just because it bears resemblance to another, after all, it is a flanker by design, taking its place in a fragrance line that has been well received and dare I say, has a cult following. Personally, with exception to the L'Intense and the sport versions, I own at least one full sized bottle of each of the remaining, the EDT, EDP, Cologne, Cool and my latest acquisition, the marvelous Extrême.

Everything about L'Homme Idéal Extrême exudes luxury, elegance and sophistication. The blend is as perfect as it can be, the quality is outstanding, and the transition from the opening to the dry-down is masterfully done. All in all, this scent is delightful beyond expectations.

Like every other fragrance, L'Homme Idéal Extrême may not be for everyone, but let me tell you this, it will be appreciated by those who enjoy the finer things in life.

Guerlain did it again .. Thank you monsieur Thierry Wasser for this masterpiece!

cherry presentation compliments scent
had the pleasure of trying this in a department store (no sale - way
overpriced). therefore, this 'review' is based on one 5hr wrist test.

very mellow… not as 'sharp' a scent as ideal toilette (which i have)

opening is very cherry sweet. mid to drydown is more relaxed with musky, faded cherry. cozier scent for anytime after 4p when the sunset isnt far away. seems great for date night & may be office-friendly when light on the pump.

* this is my 1st or 2nd review on a scent ever. i just got into scents a few months ago, viewed some youtube vids (jeremy, bigbeard, demi, gentscents, bowtiescents, cubaknow, etc..), did quite a bit of reading, got a few more bottles & here i am…

hope this aids in someone's decision to purchase
Basti87
For me the best of this series
I'll have to add this comment, as it definitely deserves a few lines. The L'Homme Ideal series I find generally very nice. The series has not only fans. For many classic Guerlain fans probably too mainstream thanks to that usual crowdpleaser almond sweetness that runs through pretty much all the scents in this range. But as far as I can tell a great and well selling range. There are 4 heavier scents (this Extreme, the original EdT, EdP, L'Intense). Plus 3 fresh flankers (cologne, cool, sport). Almost all of them I have tested and I feel this one is the best. Of the fresh ones, I own the Cologne, which I also really like. Plus the EdP, which is similar to this Extreme. This series is probably so to speak the male counterpart to the ladies series Mon Guerlain.

A fragrance I now own many weeks and was a great companion on some chilly days this autumn / winter. Smells so the ideal man in winter? In part. This Extreme is probably the most unisex fragrance of this series, without being too feminine. This soft sweetness is still well wearable by ladies. It already has the potential to be the ideal men's fragrance when it comes to sweet scents for the colder months. He is easy to like without smelling like one of many.
This Extreme is very much in the vein of the EdP, which is being discontinued or has already been discontinued. Strangely enough, as it has quite a few fans. But still plentifully available in many shops. Here with this Extreme, I found a nicer version, even though it smells about 70-80% the same. Where the EdP seems classier and more mature, I find this Extreme to be much more seductive without being too heavy-handed. It retains that classy elegance and seems a little more modern and cozy. This one also has a slight cherry touch with almond & spice. In this extremely, it's the heart notes that make the difference. The combination of cinnamon,heliotrope & plum give this fragrance a seductive and delicious touch. Harmonizes with the almond note and the light leather and tobacco notes from the base. Through and through a great cozy companion.

I can recommend this fragrance to anyone looking for a sweet scent for the colder days. It won't clash greatly without being too unrecognizable. It goes well with many occasions, including everyday and on the job. Have I often worn and felt well accompanied.
Performance is very satisfactory, as with all of this series. As far as that is concerned, this Extreme and the EdP on a wavelength. 10 hours about he holds and with good sillage over many hours he convinces.
Price-wise you get this also often at a fair price. My 100ml I found for around 60 euros.

Who is still looking for a sweet flatterer: Try this one. Even with mild autumn tempauren this still comes very well.

Neither extreme nor ideal
With gifts it is always such a thing to meet the right taste of the recipient. But so far it is my mother-in-law always quite well managed to add me after sifting my clear perfume collection a new treasure. Also this Christmas was again a ride on the razor blade for them.

Guerlain was and still is a benchmark for me when it comes to perfume bottle design. Even though I can hardly blame them for having traded the individual old flacons of classics like "L'Instant" or "Vetiver" for the new flacons with their uniform design features. No matter, the elegant silver box with belly band and neatly centered nameplate and clear letters is recognizable as Guerlain from afar. So is the solid, slightly faceted square with the solid red knob. The perfect spray button releases a fine mist of the reddish liquid, which could easily be mistaken for a delicious cognac or whisky. The way this fragrance stands, just ideal. Such a thing you can also confidently pack instead of a vase or other decorative object alone on the coffee table or in the showcase.

As soon as you uncork the bottle, respectively take off the Knöpke, you know what to expect: A fruity-tart sweetness spreads. With the Aufsprühen this impression is then also rapidly strengthened, but for me not to the advantage. A sweet cloud surrounds you and almost takes your breath away. Lots of almond, lots of cinnamon, lots of heliotrope, even more patchouli, too much of everything in concentration, too powerful, too expansive. If it weren't for a few tart notes of wood or leather, ritual ablutions would be in order. Fortunately, this prelude only has a half-life of half an hour on me, after a whole hour the almond and patchouli have completely evaporated. Now you can dare to bring the back of your hand to your nose and try to locate what else the fragrance has to offer. And there it is again, that childhood memory of my father's leather tobacco pouches in which he stored his cherry, peach, plum or whisky flavoured pipe tobacco. Wonderful fruity notes of wild cherry and fully ripe plums combined with soft leather and dry woods, wrapped in an aromatic, bright tobacco leaf. You could truly get used to this, lose yourself in it like a dream, but unfortunately these accords very quickly retreat further and further into the skin. After just under six hours, you have to dig your nose deep into the skin to be able to guess the last molecules. Unfortunately.

The arrival chords in isolation, I would blindly guess a sweet, not exactly delightful women's fragrance. The fragrance base, on the other hand, is from the composition of a straight classic men's fragrance, which you could well and easily locate in a time of 50, 60, 70 years ago. Unfortunately, this fragrance is no longer even remotely as voluminous as it was back then. From the typical at that time, expansive silage and the proverbial days-long shelf life is nothing left. Unfortunately.

My mother in law had to acknowledge that the fragrance on me does not come into its own. May be due to the fact that the fragrance in my by heating air dried out winter skin just seeps. Let's test it again in spring. Until then, I find everywhere the prelude extreme, but the fragrance is far from ideal for me.
BEST ONE
Sometimes I really do not understand the reviews here on Parfumo.
How is it possible that the EDP is rated better in terms of durability ?
There are literally worlds in between. H/S is really significantly better than the EDP. In terms of taste, of course, this is a matter of opinion. The L'homme ideal Extreme is for me the best of the series. For me, the EDP as well as the cologne were too feminine. The Extreme does almost everything right for me. Spicy, sweet, unique and yet fresh.
Reagenz
Sceptical at first, then stylish
After I wanted to treat myself to the next dose of luck with my scent dealers of my trust, I took home many scent impressions on strips. The "Ideal Extreme" dominated with its strong notes next to the other competitors to come into my future collection. In the beginning I was sceptical and did not know what to think of him. So I put it aside. After a few hours I snooped through all the strips again and there he was... The scent is so harmoniously created for me that I have added it without hesitation. The next day it was generously applied for my environment :) I perceived the fragrance myself the first two hours... after that only recurring pleasant smelling clouds. Should it really not last long, or was it just the "odour blindness"? After ten hours there were still constant compliments for this scent DNA. This is another stroke of genius from Guerlain, who are doing a great job for me. Also highly recommended is "Ideal EDP", the slightly more feminine version. The "Extreme" I would describe as more mature, masculine. Very good to wear in wintertime.
Very nice spray head
Serres74
My number three fragrance for men...
...somehow I got the taste to try men's fragrances now and then. Some were allowed to move on immediately, others were allowed to stay. So after I was so enthusiastic about Jaipur Homme from Boucheron and Rochas Man from...um...Rochas?! it could be this scent, because the pyramid of scents is all mine Well what can I say...Bull's-eye!!! When the bergamot and the pepper have warped, the palatable cinnamon comes out...probably the plum makes him so, so...gggrrrrr...animalistic? At least there should be no male being around me who carries this scent...otherwise I can't guarantee anything ;-)
As the wine progresses, almond and heliotrope are added, which gives it a slightly bittersweet note. I have noticed that when heliotrope and almond appear in fragrances, they like to stick to my taste buds...at least I have the feeling of having a coated tongue all day long...in a positive sense, of course In the drydown I hear a creamy tobacco, not one of those smoky, scratchy, disgusting (sorry) ashtray tobacco scents like Orto Parisi's Terroni (as you can see, I'm still trying to get over this trauma) supported by the cedar, which contributes this spicy, woody note. I don't necessarily perceive leather, patchouli not really either.
The Sillage is ok...the durability too, although I wouldn't have minded if the scent would last longer...for an extréme unfortunately weak, the only thing I have to complain about...otherwise top scent!

KimJong
As a long-time fan of Guerlain,
I received this earlier this month and thought I would wear it when the weather got colder. And I wore it for the first time today. To be honest, I have some complaints. The complaint is not because Extrême is not very good. Because it is not very Guerlain-like. I've heard pretty friendly compliments several times during the day today, and this is rare on days like these days when most people wear masks. It means that Extrême is a popular mainstream cologne, classified as a 'compliment getter', and it's very successful in that point. But as for my personal impressions, it's not the type of piece that constantly inspires something for me, and it's even a little mediocre, compared to Guerlain's previous pieces. Anyway I felt that some parts of the L'Homme Idéal Extrême were similar to Herod. Especially the mild cinnamon combined with cigarettes, and so is the overall mood and aspect. However Extrême is neither smoky nor animalic unlike Herod. It has a delicious sweetness that subtly flows from the background rather than a tangy sweetness. If I can say this, Extrême is cute. It has a little childish impression. It certainly doesn't fit my age well and I'm a bit embarrassed. Here Parfumo and other perfume communities I've read several comments saying Extrême is a good manly cologne. Of course it is. On the one hand, it's far from the masculinity I expected. I'm still a bit confused, and I think I bought a good cologne at an affordable price, but I think this should be called Thierry Wasser's 'product' rather than Guerlain's 'art piece'. Still I enjoyed the compliments I received today (including those from a person I don't know). Actually most of the compliments aroused by fragrance products are only meaningless greetings and it's not a evidence that it makes me stand out more, but nonetheless.
3lbows
The almond has a home now!
Yes, yes, the hommes idéales of this world - they didn't have an easy start with me. Starting with the OG, the EdT, which I tested in the Duty Free in Barcelona in 2018 and although it raised my left eyebrow because of its rugged amaretto note, it couldn't arouse my desire for more, I ended up with a full bottle of the EdP, which in my opinion is the best of the line. But more about that later.
This is supposed to be Homme Idéal Extrême, the latest flanker in a series that I think I had to revise my testing of the entire series. Because:
The original Edt does not appeal to me per se. Interesting, yes, but unbalanced and difficult to locate: Summer? Too sweet. Fall/winter? Almond component too fresh/scratchy/bright.
But then the EdP blew me away. After the EdT someone probably thought: Ok, now we have the almond, now let's embed it not only creatively but also appropriately. And voilá - the EdP wraps the almond in a round, sweet garment of cherry, (soft) rose and a touch of leather, thus accompanying its wearer just as creatively, but much more harmoniously than Duftaura in the background. To bite into!
So, but now really to the extreme: I only came to the Edp through him. In my search for autumn fragrances, prominently featured as the 2020 novelty in the red M, I wanted to give Guerlain's Homme Idéal series another chance. The pretty red bottle with its autumnal content did the rest. And what was that? The almond now has a home! Right after spraying it on, I notice a distinct tobacco note, accompanied by cherry. Cherry tobacco it is. And that, together with the almond, makes for a dream trio, much more coherent, so even with the EdT, since here all the components play in the same sweet category. That simply fits together. Only at the end of the drydown, when the gourmand substructure runs out of air, Extrême becomes more scratchy, just like the EdT. The EdP sounds more harmonic and coherent, is also calmer and sweeter over the whole course of the game.
Since I would like to see more short information myself, I am trying to rewrite Homme Idéal Extrême in the style of some Fragrantica users. Please don't take the Anglicisms away from me

WOW RATING: 8/10
Loud, sweet cherry tobacco scent with a fresh component.

DISLIKE RATING: 3/10
Drop and round. If you don't like gourmand sweets or fragrances that go in the direction of Pure Havane, it's better to avoid them. But don't worry: cardboard sweet or chewing gum-like is by no means!
UNIQUENESS: 7/10
One rarely smells the combo almond-cherry-tobacco, the tobacco primer on the other hand more often.

MASS APPROVAL: 8/10
Not mainstream, but suitable for the mainstream. Perfect to attract attention in autumn without being a nuisance
PROJECTION: 5/10
Not a space filler, but perceptible over an arm's length.

SILLAGE: 7/10
Projected less, but the scent comes through at regular intervals.

DURABILITY 8/10:
A valuable Guerlain - on the skin he likes to go along for 8 hours, but the last 2 hours are very close
SELF-PROOFING:
Does not fade out with me - the whole day over wahrnembar.

DOSING:
4 splashes and good is'.

FLACON:
Valuable, great colouring, well-dosing spray button. I would just like to have the rubber coating on the edge of the first EdP bottles, for example.

TIME OF THE YEAR:
Autumn. Clearly. In late autumn and winter then to EdP.

WHEN TO CARRY:
Work, leisure, going out. Yes - even after the sport I could still imagine it.

AMBIENTS / EMOTIONS:
Playful, active, extroverted - spending a sunny autumn afternoon outside with friends or the children.

VERSATILITY: 7/10
Versatile, but extroverted.

SEX:
Due to the tobacco clearly male.

ALTER:
20+
BLIND-BUY:

No - fill up first!

ALTERNATIVES:
Pure Havane, One Million Priveé, but less: Spicebomb, Herod, Rehab - these go in a spicier, sweeter and therefore more wintry direction.

CONCLUSION:
For me bottleworthy, if you have to choose a Homme idéal, and the EdP already has.

Nice, sweet/spicy plum/tobacco mix
One of the most recent releases from Guerlain is L’Homme Ideal Extreme, a sweet, spicy, boozy mix that feels very apropos for the upcoming cooler weather in the northern hemisphere. Its note mix consists primarily of plum, tobacco, almond, pink pepper, patchouli, woods, and just a hint of leather. The plum/tobacco mix is especially telling, with plum being a lovely sweet and boozy additive to contrast the bitter/smoky/green aspects of tobacco, with other supportive notes.

It has an effective sweet and spicy balance, perhaps slightly more sweet than it is boozy but it overall feels complete and well-thought-out, relatively safe but with some intrigue. This could easily be a fall/winter staple for men in particular, for those who are not sweet-averse. It performs pretty well, in EDP concentration, meeting the expectation of a perfume beyond a designer/cheapie.

I blind bought this from News Parfums some weeks ago after seeing a favorable review, and unfortunately it does not yet seem to be available in the US, though it’s currently for sale on Harrods’ website at $73 for 50ml. I paid a little more via News Parfums at a little over $80 for the 50ml size. The retail pricing seems very reasonable overall for the quality, utility, and performance.

I regard it as a successful blind buy and a recommended try for those that have access it to it now for those, like myself, in the US when it becomes available here.

8 out of 10

PitcPitc 3 months ago
The best flanker in the saga? An ideal perfume for short distances. With an acceptable duration. For a man over 25. A good launch
Nik604Nik604 5 months ago
Another hyper sweets, genderless edition... mehh . Now they totally ruin the original.
HugoMontezHugoMontez 6 months ago
Very good combination of Heliotrope, leather and almond (coumarin). There's a touch of tobacco too. Masculine and different from the line

Bereit für einen extrem idealen Tag!
by EauSavage
by Tabernero
by SbstnLnk
by SbstnLnk

Popular Guerlain

Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route de Madagascar by Guerlain