Shalimar Philtre de Parfum 2020

Shalimar Philtre de Parfum by Guerlain
Top 11 in Women's Perfume
Shalimar Philtre de Parfum is a new perfume by Guerlain for women and was released in 2020. The scent is oriental-sweet. The longevity is above-average. It is being marketed by LVMH. Pronunciation

Thierry Wasser

RoseRose
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouliPatchouli
Tolu balmTolu balm
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by CandyScent, last update on 24.09.2021.

Rosenherz
Philtre de Parfum - or the potent balsamic vanilla of the Shalimar!
Oh Philtre, we got off to a bad start by mistake. When I first tested you (after opening for business after a long lockdown...) I must have caught a tester who was so spoiled that it just caused facial expressions on my face that suggested disgust. I'd read a lot about the scent beforehand, of course, and thought surely this can't be true - spoiled, scratchy acidity is supposed to go down so well...? What's wrong with my nose?

Every time I visit a perfumery now I have avoided Philtre, too - in a negative sense - impressive was my first fragrance experience. I gave the fragrance nevertheless a few days ago still a chance - there must be finally something to the fragrance, if here so many rave :)

So I tested it and was surprised: it overcame me such a fluffy-sweet lemon-mountain moth combination, which already hinted at the vanilla in the background, that it was done around me. At this point, however, I did not yet know that the top note was not the highlight, because it is to become even more beautiful...

Philtre is exciting! I have never in my young perfume experience experienced a fragrance on my skin (except for Angelique Noire and Mon Guerlain Intense) that has such a fabulous scent progression. The citrus remains perceptible for about half an hour, but it quickly becomes clear: the sweet, quite unsmoky vanilla is the star here (unlike in the Shalimar EdP, which I unfortunately don't like.) Paired with the beautiful jasmine, the scent evolves into an opulent, balsamic vanilla scent that stays with me all day (and my skin likes to eat scents, so rarely do scents linger on my skin for long - mean!) Every now and then, a gossamer vanilla scent tail reaches me, making me daydream with pleasure.... hach :)

Compared to the classic Shalimar - which leaves me completely unaffected - Philtre draws me in. At first sniff, it does indeed seem a bit vintage, but only slightly and to an acceptable degree (if - like me - you don't want to wear vintage scents à la Shalimar EdP or Chanel No. 5) But even that hint of vintage fades away along with the citrus, leaving behind a slightly younger and fluffier Shalimar that is much more wearable and pleasing.

A special fragrance, I'm in love!

Shalimar? Yes, but
Philtre is a version of Shalimar that's been modernised to suit a younger audience. The citrus - bergamot - (aromatic) top is well worked to give an instant hit, but it's brash with a long-lasting sharp quality.

Underneath that is a powdery iris bouquet, with hints of rose and jasmin, and at bottom is the other main player - real vanilla; 'durty' with the dark gunge of sticky pods. This replaces the original civet, but there might be a touch of leather and castoreum to give it extra oomph.

The citrus - powder - vanilla aspect is gourmand, but, with the big vanilla and discrete patchouli, Filtre doesn't fess up to the Angel style - it just alludes to it.

The name is a word play on Filtre d'amour, love potion, so the gourmand comes as no surprise.

But, looking at it from another point of view, if you take the bright citrus and iris in the top half, Filtre is not that different to Dior Homme Sport 2017.

Guerlain have positioned this well in the market, it's not too animalic, not too heavy, not too gourmand and not too loud; it pushes the right buttons but I'm not sure it's a hit. It feels like Teen-Shalimar with an eye on the fruchouli market, and there's little mileage in that me-thinks.
Lavender-flavored Shalimar?
Hello my dearest sniffers. Welcome to my commentary on Guerlain's latest Shalimar fragrance, namely Philtre de Parfum. Soo... Philtre means love potion, by the way... I wonder if that's a reference to the fact that the fragrance might seem so extra yummy and sexy once again? Well, we shall see. If it is so, then I can once again recommend a great, sexy fragrance to you ladies... whereby I myself of course as always have nothing of it, none can be nibbled by me after all, waaah how mean... I should really only comment on men's fragrances *SEUFZ* :DD

Alright, first on with the text... Soo... Shalimar is basically similar to Chanel's No.5: a beloved classic, but one that might also seem a bit quite old-fashioned to some today. Of course, because of this, there are more modern or less old-fashioned smelling fragrances in the Shalimar series, all of which are also very fancy. Therefore, I would recommend you all to just sniff your way through the great Shalimar fragrances, if you should be less into Chanel, for example, or Alien fragrances (argh, how can you not like Alien, you doofians!! :D).

Well anyway, so now comes the new fragrance from 2020, and let's see if it continues to smell really nice like the other flankers of this series or if Guerlain has also totally screwed up once!

The fragrance:
Oh, although the Shalimar-DNA rises briefly in the nose (because of the sweetish-powdery fragrance notes), the fragrance also briefly seems quite different. Because you smell a lavender right at the beginning, which you're not normally used to with Shalimar. Only a little later, however, the lavender weakens again quite strongly, so that the fragrance then smells like a familiar Shalimar. One has here as usual strongly powdery fragrance notes, which come from balsamic/resinous scents and iris, and of course the interplay with the vanilla is also perfect as always.
A little later, there's a light, earthy patchouli note in the background, and if I'm not mistaken, it also feels like I'm smelling out very light, grassy-green notes (could still be the patchouli, though...).
Otherwise, it remains mainly intense powdery-sweet notes like vanilla and balsamic scents. The lavender does not occur later, by the way, the disappears namely still in the top note almost completely.
In the end, the fragrance smells basically only vanilla,... after gentle, powdery-beautiful vanilla with balsamic notes, so that the fragrance yes even softer effect :)
A beautiful fragrance, if you like intense vanilla.

The sillage and the durability:
The sillage is strong, the fragrance will radiate neatly and therefore for a while certainly good to smell at one. The durability is extremely long due to the intense vanilla, so that you can smell the fragrance very well from morning to night and actually even until the next morning on the skin.

The bottle:
Nothing has changed about the great Shalimar flacon and it continues to embody the shape of Indian/oriental buildings. To me, this still makes the bottle look like an angelic figure spreading its wings. The lid has the shape of a half sphere, is blue and gemstone-like faceted. At the neck hangs as usual a ribbon with the logo of Guerlain. The fragrance liquid is also brighter and clearer here. A very beautiful bottle, as always.

Conclusion:
Soo, also this Shalimar proves well that Guerlain with the Shalimardüften continues to do everything right, even if some might find the fragrances as something "too powdery". I find the fragrance very successful and for me the fragrance represents a mix of the old Shalimars with flankers like Initial, where the original part, that is the classic touch, is more present than more modern smelling fragrances.

It's smooth and soft, about like a cat's head (he he), smells sweetly great, also about like a cat's head, and is certainly great on the skin (uhh... about like a cat's head?? :DD). For me, the fragrance is a fall and winter scent and is very good for evenings or going out. He is perhaps the very young girls not so much to recommend, but all who are a little older than 20 or have remained forever 29 (:D), he could stand very well.

In my opinion, he is thus definitely worth a test, because you can do with Shalimar practically hardly anything wrong except to overdo it when spraying, so be careful, the fragrance is quite strong! And that's it from me again. Have a nice evening, take care and see you next time!

Great flanker
From the initial spray, it reminds me quite strongly of the classic modern Shalimar, but rather closer to the Cologne version. This is a very intense bergamot/lemon accord with Shalimar's characteristic "leathery” (resinous) nuance. Very quickly, after 5 minutes, a very bright note of vanilla appears - undoubtedly nice and pleasant, but it seemed to me that it stands alone, as if it were separate from the rest of the composition.

This way the perfume lived on my skin about two hours: the familiar shalimar-y citruses and a new note of vanilla, hardly mixing, appeared alternately, one or the other. As a result, a classic citrusy resinous component has won.

All in all, it is very well made fragrance, and, probably, one of the best recent Shalimar flankers.
You have to give Philtre de Parfum some time
I have owned a bottle of Shalimar Philtre de Parfum for two days now. I bought it blind because I found the fragrance pyramid interesting. The first time I sprayed it on, I was a little startled. I smell a very strong and somewhat sharp lemon and some bergamot in the background. Nothing else. I love lemon, but there's almost a bit too much of it here for my taste. Fortunately, it is tempered after a short while by subtle lavender, though it remains discreetly in the background. A little later, a hint of vanilla and a faint floral scent brings a subtle sweetness into play. Patchouli is (thankfully) not dominant and seems to gently support the other scents. For a short time, tolu balsam pushes its way to the fore. It fades again, while vanilla becomes stronger, gently enveloping all the other nuances and combining them into a harmonious accord that stays with me for a few hours. The fragrance relaxes and leads me pleasantly into the distance.
Since it is rather close to the body and not intrusive, it is best suited for all days
Old love does not rust
Your gentle lavender heart
conquers my heart by storm.
The way you've always gotten me also without lavender.
You look fresh,
almost younger,
got your hair cut...
Your sunny disposition ensnares me vanilla, tender and soft.
We walk through the garden, a light breeze of jasmine and ylang ylang passes by.
A light touch of your beloved pipe got caught in my hair.
The memory rises in me, as it used to be...
Your tonka-sweet patchouli kisses stick to my skin...
You're cute... soooo cute,
maybe toooooo sweet.
Wistfulness seizes me,
the thought of the past almost hurts That you're not who you used to be,
drills into me like a sword I'm trying to be reasonable not to get too involved with the new you...
It's hard...
But you're too sweet now want to please too many...
I'd rather reminisce than to be disappointed.

Shalimar that smells like Shalimar
I was tired of flankers of the queen of all fragrances. Often only the famous name "Shalimar" was put in front of the trolleys; the iconic imho flacon was misused to push another mass market Guerlain, which did not live up to its great name, into the shelves. Not always on the German shelves, Guerlain plays too small a role in German perfumeries, but in many French-speaking countries in any case, and generally in areas where the valued clientele still has its own opinion.
However, the subtitle "Philtre de Parfum", the allegedly used notes and advance praise from elsewhere made me curious. And when I had the opportunity a few days ago to try it out myself, I hesitated and hesitated by no means.
The first, quick impression on paper left a lot of question marks. A 70's/80's bottle of Shalimar Extrait, which I preferred much more than "new" pure perfume because of the almost deceased, never loved metallic bergamot top note, jumped into my face. Unfortunately I didn't have the time to deal with the fragrance in more detail.
But today!
The vintage top note "Shalimar Extrait" morphs into a vanilla/lemon direction, which has never been so flattering at Shalimar before, most likely in Cologne ca. 2010 (?) similar developments could be seen. The rose and iris notes are only perceived as background The longer Philtre lingers on my skin, the softer, sweeter, but also "younger" it becomes.
The Dorian Gray among the Shalimars!
Tonka becomes denser, while the fragrance becomes more skinned overall, which I rather welcome, because otherwise it could be annoying through candy overdose. Now it reminds me of a less potent version of Ode a la Vanilla, for many the best flanker so far.
In short, a successful blend of the best Shalimars, for relatively little money.
That was supposed to stay, so now it's your turn

KimJongKimJong 6 months ago
Masterpiece inherited evenly from Shalimar, Habit Rouge, Jicky, Mon Guerlain and Cuir de Russie. Full of both estrogen and testosterone.

by Timmama
by KatharinaG
by Grace1305
by Grace1305

Popular Guerlain

Mitsouko (Extrait) by Guerlain Shalimar (Extrait) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Extrait) by Guerlain Jicky (Extrait) by Guerlain Vol de Nuit (Extrait) by Guerlain Cuir Beluga by Guerlain Samsara (Extrait) by Guerlain Tonka Impériale by Guerlain Angélique Noire by Guerlain Shalimar Ode à la Vanille - Sur la route du Mexique by Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Heure Bleue (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain Shalimar (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Mon Guerlain (Eau de Parfum Intense) by Guerlain Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain Mon Précieux Nectar by Guerlain L'Homme Idéal (Eau de Parfum) by Guerlain L'Instant de Guerlain pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Guerlain Bois d'Arménie by Guerlain