Guess 1981 Indigo for Men (2018)

Guess 1981 Indigo for Men by Guess

Guess 1981 Indigo for Men is a perfume by Guess for men and was released in 2018. The scent is sweet-floral. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums.

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamot, Fig, Sage, Lavender
Heart Notes Heart NotesCoconut water, Iris, Oakmoss, Roasted tonka bean
Base Notes Base NotesCedarwood, Amber, Sylkolide™

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 18.06.2020.

Figlicious
The smell of fig has fascinated me, ever since I was a child, and I climbed on the plant to reap the fruits, the black ones were my favorites. Each part of the fig plant has a perfume; the leaves, for example, emit pungent green and milky scent when touched. Instead, the fruits still release a milky but sweeter scent when the scorching sun of the hot summer days kisses them. If a branch breaks, the typical smell of the fig is still present, but much more dry, dense, and woody, almost a mineral scent like a hot stone that is kissed by a drop of rain.

1981 Indigo was an unexpected release from Guess, and I received it as a B-day gift last year. Oh, man.. it smelled so good, and I honestly wasn't expecting anything from a brand like Guess, given that their fragrances are often not groundbreaking, not wicked but not disruptive. It smells incredibly special to me, unique, fresh, and addicting. I have nearly 1000 bottles, and I have never really felt anything quite like it, so it is pretty unique and not a close of any of them.

The opening greets me with a sort of mineral smell, quite uncommon, and I'd say, reminiscent of the tuff's walls of the ancient Procida village, the smell of wet leaves, the brickwork covered with moss, the sulfurous references typical of Greco di Tufo white wine. Right off the bat, I get a blast of green fig leaves, dusty iris, sweet coconut milk, and dry, warm cedar. The refreshing aroma of fig note is prominent, not all too sweet, and I bet just leaves and woods fit in without the tasty fruits. Perhaps the fig note mixed with blue lavender and coconut results in the mineral accord I get most. Just a gentle touch of bergamot and sage are present for a while, but the cologne is neither too citrus nor aromatic; instead, it is slightly creamy.

When the heart opens, I instantly detect the coconut vibe, not the tropical odor of the tanning cream, but something more smooth, milky, and pleasant. It mingles with the iris, here not all too feminine, not with floral or powdery or lipstick vibe, and does not overpower the scent. The sweetness of the tonka balances with the wet moss earthiness of the Evernia prunasti, the oakmoss, therefore the middle stage does not result too sweet or cloying.

And then comes the dry down, the bare and woody cedar melts very well with coconut and fig, the result is again something mineral like the smell of the river's stones, a bit warmer now. The ambroxan is not a dominant note in 1981 Indigo ass in other contemporary colognes and shares the final act with the synthetic velvety musk, the Sylolide. The overall aroma on my skin is the blend of iris, coconut, and cedar, while the note of fig tree frames all concoction, which stays throughout the stages and is joined from time to time by other guest notes.

Concerning the performance, on my skin, I get a moderate projection, and average longevity, I am rocking it at the office today, and I could get whiff of it still in the late afternoon. Some whispers are present on my shirt when I take it off late at night. The elements in this scent make me reach for it during the chilly days of Fall and perhaps warm Spring, even though I prefer floral colognes in the springtime. I won't be surprised to find out that 1981 Indigo works very well during Summer nights out. Any situation versatile kind of scent since it does start smelling warmer at the base with the amber, musky, and mossy vibes, but it is still undeniably fresh. In my opinion, I would recommend checking it out.

This review is based upon a 50ml bottle I own since June 2019.

-Elysium

Cedar, Fig & Coconut an odd mixture
SOTD: Guess 1981 Indigo for Men: As of 01/20/19

It was blind buy via Fragrancenet.com, It was recommended by Chad from A Gentleman's Journey YouTube channel, he mentioned that it was he's best blind buy bought for 2018, and I would agree. To my nose is a fresh and woody scent, I detect the fig, coconut, iris, lavender and musk. The fig, coconut and cedar is front and center, it can be sharp in the opening, but it tones down on the dry down. A solid release from Guess. Is a must have and a hidden gem

Rating

Scent: 8/10
Design/Presentation: 8/10
Value: 9/10
Longevity/Performance: 8/10: Lasted on my skin/skin scent around 10+ hrs
Overall: 8/10

My SOTD (Scent of the Day): Guess 1981 Indigo for Men: As of 02/24/19

Revisiting this fragrance again as my SOTD as of 02/24/19, I just love the way the Fig, Coconut and Iris were well blended and as well the lavender and musk are connected in the background. And the Fig note is beginning to be one of my favorite note(s). My nose detects more of the Fig, Coconut and Iris from start to finish. Longevity/Performance is beastly on my skin 8-11 sprays, lasted on my skin as a skin scent around 12+ hrs. Overall rating it will be a tad bit bumped up from 8 out of 10 to 8.25 out of 10. Is a must have to any collection to me is a hidden gem from Guess.

PolarrfoxPolarrfox 11 months ago
The Best EDT for men (but I think also women can use) Ive ever felt. Spicy, coconut scent with speciál aura. Pretty good, for EDT. Thumbs up
Jazzy76Jazzy76 12 months ago
A really "blue" fragrance with noticeable cedarwood notes and a quite good sillage. Light and pleasant in every season for Her too

Popular Guess

Guess 1981 Los Angeles Men by Guess Guess Men (Cologne) by Guess Seductive Homme by Guess Seductive Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Seductive (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Guess 1981 for Men by Guess Seductive Homme Noir by Guess Guess 1981 Indigo for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Guess Man by Guess Guess by Marciano by Guess Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess Guess (2005) (Eau de Parfum) by Guess Guess (1990) (Parfum) by Guess Seductive I'm Yours by Guess Guess Girl (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Dare (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Seductive Homme Blue by Guess Guess Gold by Guess Dare for Men by Guess Guess Night by Guess