Guess 1981 Los Angeles Men 2019

Guess 1981 Los Angeles Men by Guess
Guess 1981 Los Angeles Men is a popular perfume by Guess for men and was released in 2019. The scent is sweet-woody. It is being marketed by Inter Parfums. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver
AmberAmber
SandalwoodSandalwood
TobaccoTobacco

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 29.09.2021.

Doctorflower
Very friendly and bright oldstyle fragrance
I'm proud to have smelled out the mint and the floral (I'm new). For me, there's often something perpetually typically alcoholic about perfumes that isn't so nice, but that's how they are, especially the old ones (Guess has been around for a long time). Often I don't wear Guess, not at all, but I would prefer it to many other expensive and recent ones that you can compare. Often it doesn't matter if instead of that it still has that in it etc. It has nothing whatsoever to do with oil based vanilla, and the scent is not accompanied by musk. The "final fragrance" of Guess is reached quickly, there comes then not something else.

But it is really a bright friendly fragrance that has been in the world longer, no edgy boss fragrance. I would also like it on a woman. I wouldn't compare it to Versace Eros in the same way. When I read the fragrance notes I can confirm besides what I found out myself amber and plum very well.
Versace Eros light
I would like to compare the fragrance directly with Versace Eros EdP:
The fragrance starts very floral in the first few minutes, but this fades relatively quickly. After that, he smells really 1to1 like Versace Eros, but projects significantly less. And after already one hour, the performance decreases significantly, while Versace Eros clearly after 6h still blithely continues to project. After this hour, I smell mainly plum, so that the fragrance then begins to differ more from Versace Eros, without losing the same character.
In Versace Eros I take namely in contrast to the variant of Guess a clear cedar note was, which is then completely missing here. This makes the fragrance nice and sweet and light, but also takes him somehow the maturity.
After just under 6h on the skin is the end of 1981 Los Angeles Men. On textiles he is then still
but still perceptible.

Generally, Eros is yes as a "party fragrance". For me, he can also Prima as going out, date and suit scent use. As a pure party fragrance it is difficult with here with 1981 LAM, because of the weak performance. However, he is for the price a super alternative to Eros for the other situations, or even to test whether one likes the fragrance at all.
And it is a super gift for the younger faction. If I think back so, what I got so in my youth as a gift, since this has a completely different quality.
Can you buy mMn without any hesitation blind.
Worthwhile blind purchase
The fragrance was for me a blind purchase, what you can do at 15 € / 100 ml generally good conscience.

The bottle is kept simple and elegant and has a very pleasant-looking tint. However, this is neither particularly exciting nor unique, so for me just average.
The durability on the skin is okay at the price, but really rips nothing out. Sprayed on in the morning, you can still feel a slightly woody spice in the late afternoon. On clothes, however, the fragrance is still perceptible the next day.
A big minus represents for me the sillage. I feel the current rating of 6.6 as still too high. Already after 1-2 hours, the scent is really only perceptible in closer contact.
The fragrance itself, however, I find very good. After a fairly spicy opening can be perceived quickly the sweetness of the top note. Especially the plum comes across sufficiently strong for me to make the top note interesting, but the pepper prevents the fragrance from becoming overwhelmingly sweet. I also really like the interplay of ginger and mint in the heart notes, but it loses its character quite quickly and moves into the base notes. In the drydown, the fragrance becomes pleasantly woody with hints of tobacco and ginger.

Overall, I am satisfied with this blind purchase and can only recommend the fragrance. At prices of 15-20€/100ml you can not do much wrong. If the sillage would be better, the here really phenomenal. Especially with all the comparisons with Versace Eros, it's clear that you have to get in line at this point. You won't attract attention with it and it doesn't really scream party. However, who is looking for a cheap and really good everyday fragrance is definitely right here

Eros little sibling
Purchased this fragrance before the pandemic, the scent has similarities to Versace Eros, but in a affordable price another reviewer from this post said could be Guess best fragrance and I would agree to the T. Longevity/performance off my skin is beastly I get around 13+ hrs (with moisturizer on pulse points). To me is great alternative to Eros and highly recommend.
Tommyxxl
For the money just great!!!
First of all, I have to say that for me it was a blind purchase. Because I thought that with 17€ for 100ml you can't do so much wrong. So just order and after the fragrance has arrived, spray it on your skin. After a short wait, then came the moment, you know the moment! I must say that it comes across really light, like Versace Eros.

I think Versace Eros is good too, but Guess 1981 Los Angeles is really the gentleman of the two. He's peppery/sweet too, but still discreet in his own way, so not quite as loud as Eros.

The Sillage is ok, but the durability is really top. I noticed the smell after 8 hours, still on my sweater! So from my side to the scent, as well as to the price, it is clearly a recommendation to buy
BLurreD
Pleasing everyday fragrance for a small budget!
Was a blind buy - as the ratings for such a new perfume launched on the market were pretty good.
I also like GUESS very much as a fashion brand (especially the Retro-Line), which is why I dared to try to order it this way.
For 24€/100ML you cannot complain.

The fragrance was very much marked by mint and pepper - which is why it was very intense and pointed in the nose. After this concentrated initial cloud has settled,
the fragrance pyramid came out better. One smells some vetiver like also the ginger - however no molecule of tobacco got into my nose.
There is some similarity to EROS, but the pepper is too strong, so the sweetness of an Eros never really gets through (which some people will like).

The Sillage is OK - but it does not take up space, which is of course a plus point.
In the drydown I like the fragrance the best, because here all the fragrances function very harmoniously and produce a well "stirred" cocktail, which will not touch and please everyone.
Shelf life was 5 hours with me (before I showered). So actually OK - would have given the smell perhaps still so 1-2 hours, before it would be then only completely skin near perceptible.
However, in my opinion the special, the class is missing here, which makes the fragrance appear high quality. According to its "brand" GUESS, the fragrance also ranks among the usual mainstream suspects.
A helper, Burberry, and his ilk could have brought out a scent like that.

My blind buy rating here would be a 7.5/10. price-performance but a 9/10.
Eros? No better!
This scent has been on my radar for some time! Already more than 3 months ago I saw a review of 1981 Los Angeles from the Youtuber "AGentlemansJourney" and was fixed directly. Unfortunately it took some time until the fragrance was finally available here in Germany. When I could finally find him the days online, was not hesitated any longer and the purchase was decided thing ... And the long waiting time was worth it :D

The scent is exactly what I had hoped it would give me! In my opinion, a comparison with Versace Eros is quite appropriate here, especially because of the concise Minz note in both fragrances. Basically, I've always liked Eros pretty much. Somehow he was a bit too loud and prolific for me (not for nothing he is considered the "King of Clubbing" ^^). From 1981 Los Angeles I hoped for a more balanced and adult "Eros" and that's exactly what I got.

Now let's get to the fragrance:
From the beginning to the heart note, the mint note here is clearly pronounced but not quite as intrusive as with Eros. That's probably why it comes across so well with me, because it's with the black pepper (just in the top note) and the plum (that's probably the fruity note I perceive in the fragrance). But I don't know if I would have tipped on "plum" on my own if it hadn't been in the scent pyramid^^) two opponents who "slow down" the mint a bit.
In addition there is a pleasantly warm sweetness through the amber. I also like this much better compared to the somewhat sticky vanilla sweetness of Eros. Finally, sandalwood skilfully rounds off the fragrance and gives it a beautiful woody undertone in the drydown.
In addition, there is the beautiful bottle including wooden cap (only the lettering looks a bit cheap), the very good durability (8-10 hours) and a good sillage (although you have to make some compromises here compared to Eros), which make this fragrance for me an absolute price/performance-price racket!

Zara does Eros
There is something to be said about having a certain number of fragrances in your collection that just rub youthful noses the right way – somethin’ fo da laydies, somethin’ fo da cluhhh, blah blah blah, bling bling bling blah. 1981 Los Angeles is a clone of Versace Eros. That concludes our intensive 4-week course on contemporary logic.

Seriously though, LA was a total blind buy after eyeing the notes and thinking – hmmm, this looks like a more interesting D&G The One. After watching a couple of reviews online, my thoughts changed to – well ok, it might START OFF like Eros, but surely it evolves into its own thing? But no. Ok, sort of.

The opening is unmistakably reminiscent of a cross between Boss Bottled and something from Zara. Superbly generic and synthetic aromatic fruitiness that doesn’t quite smell like plum or apple to me, nor does it quite reach the depths of well-blended vanilla sweetness from Boss Bottled. Noticeable ‘cleaner’ vibes in the opening too the first couple of times I wore it. I can’t deny that I wasn’t initially disappointed.

However, within 2 minutes, there’s a clear warm ginger note that comes in and plays with a VERY modest mint that also doesn’t quite match the mint in Eros. But within those first few minutes, the sweetness from the amber finally surfaces and increases steadily over time, allowing LA to take on the unmistakeable garb of Versace’s creation, albeit without the same overwhelming brashness, robust vanilla or projection.

Don’t get me wrong – the projection isn’t terrible, but certainly nowhere near the strength of Eros. Think of a more “library appropriate” version. And that’s basically how it remains for the next 2.5 hours – a slightly warmer/woodier, watered down and muted version of Eros, until it morphs into a simple and generic (almost powdery?) amber-ginger combo by hour 3. Total longevity is about 7-8 hours and projection is surprisingly decent for the first 2.

All in all, I have to admit that I’m not totally disappointed with the scent – in fact, I always disliked Eros for its annoying persistence. It was just too juvenile, too pervasive, superficial and sweet – like the energizer bunny that follows you around all day, banging that goddamn drum. LA seems to fix those problems by replacing the vanilla with a muffled amber and the apple with “plum.” It's very pleasant to the average nose (compliments = yes), but a little too uninspired for my taste. In fact, to a niche head, this might be the stuff nightmares are made of. Absolutely nothing natural about the ingredients.

So to sum up, I would imagine that Guess 1981 Los Angeles is what an Eros clone by Zara would smell like – quieter, more humble, somewhat neutered, slightly more generic (plasticy almost?) yet still incredibly likeable. It could easily be mistaken for a modern flanker too – Eros Amber or something - and undeniably better than that dreadful ‘Flame’ nonsense. Longevity is decent, although the projection is more suitable for an intimate evening affair. Humid clubbing environments would just eat this stuff up.

Overall, it’s not a bad scent, but it’s certainly not a good one IMO – merely average, and probably a great gift idea for a horny teenager (aren’t they all horny though?) There are far better scents at this price point; but if you’re in the market for a modest and inexpensive Eros clone, Guess LA is suitable option. That is….until Zara actually comes out with their own version??? Here's not hoping.

Perhaps Guess's Best Cologne
The idea of balancing sweetness with mint, is very similar to Versace Eros. Indeed, 1981 LA has an impressive atmosphere reminiscent of Eros. But it's not just copying. Anyone can easily spot the difference. It's well blended with fresh peppers that tap into the rich plum flavor from the opening. Not too sticky, not too sweet. After the Eros-like heart note, tempting red flower hints blend in amber and sandalwood that feels like vanilla ice cream. It seems to last 8 hours for spray 3, but I still don't know if it will do so in cold weather. The sure thing is: This is a very sexy, very harmonious cocktail.

AdamStraightAdamStraight 10 months ago
Eros with showergel vibe and more woody notes, doesn't have that punch in your face like Eros tho
ScentDaneScentDane 11 months ago
A more mature and less in-your-face version and less cloying version of Versace Eros. Also dirt cheap.

by Ernie824
by Ernie824
by DoNI92
by DoNI92

Popular Guess

Seductive Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Seductive Homme Noir by Guess Seductive Homme by Guess Seductive Red by Guess Guess 1981 for Men by Guess Seductive (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Bella Vita by Guess Guess 1981 Indigo for Men by Guess Guess Man by Guess Guess Men (Cologne) by Guess Guess by Marciano by Guess Guess (2005) (Eau de Parfum) by Guess Dare for Men by Guess Seductive I'm Yours by Guess Guess by Marciano for Men by Guess Guess (1990) (Parfum) by Guess Dare (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Seductive Homme Blue by Guess Guess 1981 Indigo for Women (Eau de Toilette) by Guess Guess Girl (Eau de Toilette) by Guess