Gutteridge Black 2013

Gutteridge Black by Gutteridge
Gutteridge Black is a popular perfume by Gutteridge for men and was released in 2013. The scent is citrusy-woody. It is still in production.

Oakmoss, Blackcurrant, Italian bergamot, Lemon, Amber, Vanilla

Submitted by Bill88, last update on 31.10.2020.

On fragrant tracks and aromatic paths - Italy Part 1
I would like to dedicate the first part of my fragrant voyage of discovery through Tuscany and Italy to the fragrance Black by Gutteridge. I found the fragrance in the Italian city of Pisa, where I became aware of it. The trademark of this city, who would have thought it, is of course the Leaning Tower. So it was also our aim to visit this monumental building.
By the way, Pisa is a typical Italian town, and even to the current corona restrictions relatively well frequented. Compared to my other destinations in Italy, Pisa actually had the least southern flair. Everything is very much oriented towards tourism. This changes the further south one gets. Nevertheless, the city with all its sights is of course worth a visit.

On the way to the highlights of the city one can stroll wonderfully through the pedestrian zone. Passing cafes, souvenir shops and ice cream parlours I noticed a very elegant shop of Gutteridge. High-quality, dignified Italian fashion is sold there, and so is the perfume line of this store.
A number of previous speakers seem to have had a similar experience. By chance they passed by the shops and became aware of the scent.

When I entered the house it was also clear to me that no cheap goods are sold here. Wrapped in a fresh, tangy and spicy coat I took the sales rooms. It smelled very attractive and pleasing, very masculine and in this combination then also very Italian Of course, this scent already came from the perfume, which the operators certainly also use as a room scent, not least for sales strategy reasons.
All this convinced me almost offhand, and I bought the fragrance blind. With the price of 30 Euros, this is certainly not a daring venture.
What came next was an extensive test of the newly acquired water, which presents itself as follows...
Black starts with a tangy and pleasant freshness. It is rather a lemony freshness, which glows briefly and intensively, but then also loses its presence quickly. This prelude is supported by a light, discreet fruitiness, without letting the fragrance appear sweet. On the contrary, Black always remains elegantly tart and pleasantly spicy.
As soon as this refreshing start subsides there is a certain herbal, earthy-mooey component taking over the direction. A minimal roughness hovers additionally in the background. Very authentic and in good symbiosis with the fresh start.
So that the whole thing doesn't get too much angularity, amber and vanilla have a certain regulating effect on the fragrance development. The overall picture makes the fragrance appear smooth, elegant and absolutely wearable. How do you say so nicely...easy to wear ;)
I would place the projection as well as the durability in the moderate or elevated midfield. Black is not a rebellious companion, but acts well from the background. Occasionally you can even catch a small cloud a few hours later.
The flacon is a splendour, lies really heavy in the hand, and is very solidly built. All these features make the 30 Euro for the fragrance an absolutely fair and also realistic price. Clear purchase recommendation if you like such fragrances.
Summing up, Black is certainly not a monumental work of art, as well as many other things I looked at that day. But it is an elegant and masculine scent, which is worth wearing.
For the inclined reader of this olfactory description of Black, I have added in my album the appropriate visual accompaniment with a few pictures from Pisa...to be continued!!!
Love to thank you for reading...

For even more interested people and creed enthusiasts:
The often quoted comparison to Creed's fragrance smithy only holds up to a limited extent for me personally. I have taken the trouble to compare both fragrances. Referring to my owned Aventus Batch, Black is olfactorically differently coloured than its supposed role model. Black has certain facets and sprinklers of Aventus, but is, and this is what I find the big difference, herbaceous and harsher in the overall impression In the end, however, this will always depend on the respective batch.
Unknown fragrances Part 1: An everyday Aventus from Italy
It seems to be the classic here: a perfume or a perfume bottle strolls through an Italian city, the sun is shining, the mood is in holiday mode - and there! A smell, a scent! Weather recorded! A keen sense of smell leads him or her through the streets, through the dusty summer, past ice-cream parlours and architectural testimonials of bygone days, to a ... clothing store called Gutteridge. Not very Italian sounding, but "dal 1878"
Granted, I had never heard of this brand when I was on holiday in Milan and Bergamo last summer. That was long before Corona. A fine, well-known fragrance poured out of the well-air-conditioned shop in Via Dante. But that's Aven...! In the pedestrian zone I almost pronounced out loud that mystically colored name that inevitably awakens the guardians of the batch codes from their never deep sleep and who as archangels stand by their Lord in celestial heights like Michael with his followers in the Revelation of John.

Curious, I entered the store and tested the early offshoot (2013) of what is probably the most wave-setting niche fragrance of the recent past. Out of respect for the original, which I really appreciate, it should be emphasized that the wearer is not presented with a revolutionary, unique twist here. For Gutteridge (Black), as the offspring is called, does not try to hide its family resemblance at all, and probably originated from the calculation of jumping on the bandwagon of success. What luck for all those who love scents! br />
For me it is a portable Aventus, soft, creamy, more withdrawn, more suitable for office use. No fruit explosion, no burning birch forest, no olfactory volume. Less missa solemnis than Sunday Mass - everyday life in the realm of the liturgy of fragrance. My 30ml bottle of the original simply doesn't want to get empty, although I like to wear it from time to time. The original is often too loud, too much, too extroverted for me. I lack understatement and modesty, although I understand anyone who sees it differently or appreciates the lack of those very qualities in Aventus. After all, tastes and "areas of application" are different. I can't imagine the original - for me - at a christening, in a hospital, shopping in a discount store or visiting grandma with coffee and cake, but I can imagine this Italian offshoot very well.

With the Gutteridge, I have now found an "A-scent" for me that is less complicated. Less "aftershave", more soft base, a little duller and less complex. Significantly less smokiness. A fragrance that's still distinctive, can be worn with a shirt like a T-shirt and never "Here! Me! Look, everyone! Here I am!" shouts. Less acrylic paint, more watercolour. There's nothing annoying about that scent, nothing is too much for me. I find it quite impressive for this type of scent.

The bottle is massive and heavy, the cap has taken an involuntary fall from a height of one and a half meters almost without scratching, but it does not sit very firmly on the fuselage. The sprayer is a real highlight - not yet Dior or LV level, but already good quality. Durability and sillage are completely average for a men's fragrance, which I personally find good. For a long time, this fragrance was probably only available in Bella Italia or through middlemen who "passed it on" at exorbitant prices. In the meantime, it is also available online for, I believe free of charge, international shipping. On the spot, at least last summer, it was under 30,- for 100 ml. Very fair.
Ah... Ventus?
Like CroDuft, I walked past a Gutteridge branch in Italy one day and was led in by my nose. The golden bottle pyramid also stood in Milan, but testers were only available at the cash desk on request. So I got some splashes and continued my tour.

The attack is strongly alcoholic, but the lemon takes over quickly and then changes fluently into a berry, somewhat synthetic-looking note with a slight incense association. On myself, the shelf life is enough for a working day, and although the scent can quickly get on your nerves when overdosed, ergo thriftiness pays off.

I'm not so sure if Creed was really a role model here, since Aventus simply smells different and most imitators have been inspired by the head note fruit.

So if you love Aventus and are looking for a cheap alternative, you won't find it here, especially as I agree with Achilles, since mostly only the original is an original.
For me it is a fragrance that you don't smell and get on every corner and is therefore well suited to smell a little different on a boring autumn day. No more, no less.

Nichtwissen is fuel
Short and sweet:

It's probably a never-ending topic, Aventus. THE bestseller etc pp bla. Where, in which house you don't meet a clone or a leaning or a brother or something that also wants to get what from this cake or wants to share in the success of the great role model, not only cheap houses mind you (Rojas Elysium, Liebe von Khaltat, Mazzolaris Nero etc.).
Understandably, what once worked will always work again. Didn't I? Dead-ridden topics for me. I personally like Aventus and like to wear it, but I have to say that I was able to grab a big bottle with a fantastic batch. Balanced fruity smoky, projection and durability absolutely titanic, after 16 h still very clearly perceptible and I don't know how much longer if there was no shower. There's just nothing on the original.

Then one day all the clones will come. Gutteridge is one of them. That was my last purchase so far, where Aventus is listed as a fragrance twin. Whereby I bought him out of curiosity whether the other comments and I was already completely indifferent to a relationship.
It's just not worth it. Gutteridge is beautiful, clean, creamy, citric and has Aventus Vibe. There's nothing classical-Italian about it, I'm sorry. It's another clone for a fraction of the price of Creed. Currant and more vanilla than Aventus, less aftershave, less oak moss, something soft-unisex-lovely. For its price it is a good fragrance, but unfortunately it does not have the durability or the charisma of the model.

Sometime after my "Aventus-Challenge", where clones like Club de Nuit Intense Man, Vibrant Leather, Insurrection II Pure, L'Aventure Pineapple Vintage and Pineapple Vintage Noir and the original (by the way, every participant could blindly identify the original) had to be found here in the forum, I stopped testing more clones, because it now makes more sense for me to rather treat myself to a bottling or a bottle of the original than to run after some cheap dupes forever. Who buys cheap, buys double, that is unfortunately the truth. With Aventus clones this increases immeasurably, so it will no longer happen with me. I ran out of fuel in this field
The first impression
Hello my perfume friends,

this perfume is only available in Italy in the Gutteridge Stores, where you can also find great clothes and you can not even order it online to Germany.

The question is: Is a purchase worthwhile during your next holiday in Italy?

The answer: Yes! ...but...

I have to admit that I haven't smelled anything better since Creed Aventus 5 years ago. And then came Gutteridge Black.

Very subjective but honest: I have hardly experienced a more beautiful opening (up to 30min) in my life so far!

The sad thing is that this alleged eau de parfum (for 20€ / 100ml) only lasts for about an hour and is no longer perceptible for yourself afterwards. The environment has perhaps up to 3 hours still something of this smell, although very closely.

I simply hate this perfume for not having a more potent version, otherwise it would be my number one even before Aventus!

What's it smell like? As may be seen from the fragrance pyramid, there is a certain similarity to Aventus. Only in this case this smokiness is missing and a sweet, tart, fruity freshness (grapefruit-like) paired with pseudobirch and oakmoss and a hint of vanilla bring a smell in perfection states as I have rarely experienced it! Kernig male but as soft as the drydown of Aventus. Fruity and refreshing like a cool drink in the hot Italian summer. Serious and gentlemanly discreet! I don't think I could do better than that!

But I am so sick of this lack of durability that it makes this fragrance almost unwearable, despite travelatomizer. It's just annoying to feel you have to spray every half hour. Especially at work.

That would have been the next level Aventus for me! What a shame!

Nevertheless I like to use it as a room scent or to relax before falling asleep. I'll have him brought to me again and again! Love-hate. This opening just... zero synthetic, you want to bite into it! Incredible scent quality!!!

Well, it is what it is. If you ever stumble across it, treat yourself to it. Price performance nevertheless wobbles due to the facts described above.

Lg and a nice day to all

Elysium
A blend of roasted pineapple, smoke and creamy vanilla
I should mention now that I came across this little jewel during one of my recent visit to a shopping mall. Actually, all the times I visited that place, I smelt a so lovely, fresh, and creamy aroma in the air. It's a kind of like blend of roasted pineapple, smoke, and creamy vanilla, and honestly, I thought it was coming from Hollister Co. shop, you all know they are used to over-spray their scents like an ambient perfume. Anyway, no matter how good they are, none of their scents smelt like this. Umm, at that point, I was a bit puzzled.
I was on the verge of giving up with chasing that gorgeous scent while standing in front of the window of Gutteridge's shop, that the lovely trail got more and more powerful. Oh man, the smell was coming right away from that shop... Yeah, they had a branded male cologne named Gutteridge Black! Here we go.

The fragrance is distinctively clean, sharp, and citrus, with a smoother, creamier aroma in the higher qualities. A bit zesty, a bit fruity, a bit smoky, a bit leathery, and a bit mossy. I decided, or better, I immediately entered the shop without taking any decisions and bought a bottle of GB; it was sold for just 25€ rather than 49€. The bottle is cute, all black, elegant, with a cap that reminds me of Amouage's ones.

Hence, what about the scent? On my skin, it opens with a loud blast of clean lemon. Its juicy sharpness is accompanied by bergamot and fresh berries, which give even more tartness and sweetness to the composition.
After the first reviving blast, I detect a smoky note creeping in. This is the birch or something leathery not mentioned in the main notes, which stays sharp but adds some firmness and anchor to the composition. Besides, a blend of spicy and floral notes linger around for a while. I mostly enjoy this heart because of its unusual character in modern structures, especially when transposed on the background of pineapple.
GB remains mostly linear after the initial blast. The smoky note remains until the dry-down, and it is joined on stage by a mossy accord giving more earthiness to the blend. The vanilla accord that emerges towards the dry-down is divine. The velvety, creamy sweetness of the vanilla and the amber provides a delicate balance to the mossy, animal, and leathery accords.

The overall impressions I have had in testing it have been positive, the essence resting on the skin entirely with a remarkable and never intrusive persistence. The strength of GB is precisely its sobriety that allows it to be one let pass for any occasion or age. It is interesting how it shifts from quite a citrus and fruity scent and settles down into a mossy/leathery fragrance with a great blend of sweetness.
It is worth to mention that both longevity and sillage are above the average. At the and of my business day, I still get a whiff of it whenever I turn my head, or I move my arms. In my opinion, GB fits well with the mid-seasons, when the weather is neither too cold nor too hot.

What are you waiting for? You will love it as I do.

-Elysium

ToreterToreter 2 years ago
Club de Nuit Intense by Armaf clone .
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
Citrus and moss are the aspects of the atmosphere that will breathe, leaving space for the currants, sweet resins and velvety creaminess.

by Medianus76