Drakkar Noir 1982Eau de Toilette

Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guy Laroche for men and was released in 1982. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Pierre Wargnye

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisia, Basil, Bergamot, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon, Lemon verbena
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Coriander, Juniper, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Fir, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 25.10.2020.

When daddy shaves
Childhood memories. Does anyone here still know this green goo (slime) that you wanted to have as a child? I remember the smell of it. Or the first time you send a Slinky down the stairs. Those are childhood memories for me. Including the smell that I noticed when my father sat down at the breakfast table on Saturday after he had shaved. That's what I always said "real men" smelled like. Drakkar Noir is exactly that smell. Freshly shaved. Clean and yet incredibly masculine. It is timeless. I hope dads will still wear it to the breakfast table in forty years.
DN1982
He was one for everything - today you can forget him
The scent already caught my attention in a very positive way with my great uncle who died many years ago. Also because as a child I somehow always had the thought that good fragrances are actually more a domain of women
So at the age of ten or eleven, in 1986 or '87, we were visiting my great uncle and were just getting ready to go home, he said to me: "Wait a minute, I have something for you."

Game? Tension? Chocolate? Well, he was always very frugal with that sort of thing. And now he goes into the bathroom. What could he bring from there? His squeaky duck, perhaps?
Far from it. He held a small flat black box with the writing Drakkar Noir in his hand. With a smile on his face he opened the small box with his fingers and pulled out a small glass bottle. He pulled the lid off the vial, which had a long thin plastic strip on it, stroked me along with the strip behind my left ear, dipped it back into the vial, and repeated the whole thing behind my right ear. Then he put the lid back on, put the small bottle back in the box, closed it and put it in my hand.
That's a fine thing, just right for a fine fellow like you, he said with a mild, thoroughly honest smile in his eyes
And already the olfactory delight unfolded! And that at this low dose of maybe a tenth of a milliliter - I was baff!
I cherished this specimen, using the fragrance exclusively for larger family celebrations.
Eventually, the sample ran out. I kept the empty specimen for a while and in the meantime tried all kinds of (shaving) waters, many of which were good, but not nearly as good as Drakkar Noir.

One day I was leafing through a magazine and found advertisements for Drakkar Noir. Drakkar Noir? That name mean anything to you?
What was even nicer, there was a small card with a scent sample stuck on the advertisement.
Ripped open, nose in, and there it was again, the dragon boat. So I picked up some money and went to get a bottle of that scented bomb. There it was again, this olfactory delight, which brought me one compliment after the other and at times I could hardly save myself from inquiries about what kind of perfume I was wearing. Mind you, it was the beginning of the nineties, when Drakkar Noir was supposedly in everyone's nose, the best-selling men's EdT etc.; but nobody except my great uncle wore it, which amazes me to this day
Drakkar Noir was really suitable for every occasion and also when the better is the enemy of the good: Never chance a running system! Especially if it suits you perfectly right from the start and doesn't have to be smelled better by tens of times trying it. Over the years I have kept some fragrances through and also in my repertoire, but the permanent staff includes DN!

In the end, it was lucky for everyone involved that my great-uncle was one of the last wounded to be flown out of the Stalingrad cauldron and thus survived the Second World War in southern France, where he met a Frenchwoman who was born with a love of good scents. Otherwise I would probably never have ended up with this bombastic scent, which was so formative. Posthumously again many thanks for it
At some point, however, it must have been around 2000, this classic must have been slightly changed for the first time. At the same time, it was no longer Cosmair printed on the back of the bottle of the coveted fabric, but LLC. I still had the old one and could compare both versions directly against each other or have them compared. The spray head was changed as well, it got smaller and does not stick out as much as the old one
The juice didn't necessarily get worse, it became a bit milder and more base note-heavy or heart and base notes appear earlier (which I liked quite well), but with the exception of the leather note, which was perfectly tuned before and unfortunately is no longer there this year.
However, this reformulation was at the expense of durability! He still packs his 5-6 hours. But if you know that Drakkar Noir was about twice as strong in the original version and the sillage was a whole lot stronger, you might be a bit disappointed. Especially since two sprays were once the absolute maximum dosage, where it now needs double.

Around 2009, I suddenly found myself enjoying flacons with the inscription Cosmair, which, according to the seller, were supposed to be from current production and came close to the original in terms of fragrance and durability. An inquiry with Guy Laroche, who is now the current (!) distributor of Drakkar Noir, was never answered. Since I have been smelling good for years and had to ask this unpleasant question to other manufacturers as well, I could quickly make the observation that I never (!) received an answer. Why only, if they don't have any dirt or IFRA on them?

However, the seller from whom I bought a bottle from Cosmair times in 2009 swindled me! DN was all and I ordered from another shop. What did I get? One from LLC from 2010!!! What does that tell us? Fresh goods still only come from LLC - until today! Since all other lovers of good fragrances buy everything old and unreformulated from under your nose, the chances of getting old new goods have now dropped to zero. Opened flacons or ancient miniatures via Ebay excluded.

Now it's the year 2020 and again DN smells different than my last 2013 badge! The spray head has been changed again, now it is the old bigger one from years ago. Of course the label on the bottle has been redesigned a little bit. After several adjustments I can say with certainty that between 2000 and 2020 DN was operated on three times - more questions?
Interestingly enough, DN is now coming back to its former, full-bodied self. Not like the original from the 1980s, but closer to it than what was thrown on the market 10 years ago. They seem to have found an adequate replacement for oakmoss. Even the zero in leather that DN's friends had to put up with has given way to at least a barely audible +0.1 in leather.
Peace, joy, DN? No! Even though the overall composition is rounder in itself, the makers have now taken away any form of reach from the good boy. No matter how much reformulation has been done on him - if the bottle is empty, I will buy more after 4 weeks at the latest without DN, because I am missing something else. My current 2020 badge (100 ml) is half empty after 6 weeks of daily use, I refill it at least twice a day with at least 6 sprayers each. I never had such an immense wear and tear! As soon as it is there, it is already gone! The scent is still great, but those who don't know it until today should leave it at this status quo, it is just frustration! It's sad that I have to say this, but let's take it off the market

Rquill67
80's throwback! Kickin' it Old School!
This fragrance sits along side the original Polo for me (green bottle). Totally brings me back to the 80s when I wore both fragrances in high school. Definitely an 80’s throwback. Strong and masculine DNA! This is your typical lavender, leather and oak moss men’s fragrance. Many like it on the market. Not my favourite dark fragrance on the market. Also plays to the under 30 crowd. Good sillage. Lasts 6-8 hours. Probably a good clubbing fragrance. 5 / 10 for me.

Afterdark
Used to be sexy... actually
An icon actually, a trend setter actually, yes actually for a while the most sold perfume ever and was actually considered very sexy in the bars, discos and clubs.

Today is a shadow of his former self. Castrated and reduced to the bare essentials. Oakmoss has completely disappeared and therefore the beautiful lavender is a bit sweeter and simpler today because there is no contrast. Oakmoss was so important for the depth and dimensions of many fragrances.

For me it is still beautiful and I will always have a bottle of it but every time I spray it on I get a little sad what Guy Laroche has done with this fragrance...but then I say to myself that at least it is still there, many of my favourites especially the Gucci are long out of the assortment.
ThomC
Short blazer with nasty shoulder pads. Welcome 80ies!
My old man had worn this fragrance from 1988 to 1989. And I had to put up with him when I was 12 years old. Because he always wore it too much and thought: a lot is good. This scent had eaten into my young brain at times, had accompanied me everywhere, in the passenger seat, during visits, at home. It was his attempt to dress up for the ladies after the divorce. He had never really worn perfume before. Looking back, I have to say: "Drakkar Noir" was not a bad choice, it had corresponded to the spirit of the times, had style, was shrill. I just had to smell it again after more than thirty years. A self-check, if I would recognize it again after such a long time.
No, I didn't really. Anyway, no memories came rushing back. And yet it seemed familiar. But I don't like it, because it smells like a cheap man, it scratches my nose, it smells like flashy 80s fashion, like pushiness. I just smell, without any recognizable single scents. And it lacks the "whistle", the twist in the brain somehow, which makes me say: I want to wear this. Nope! The bottle stands in the bathroom with the felt billion others as a monument to a vanished spirit of the age. A warning and a reminder at the same time. That's okay. But not anymore
I've given up hope.
Recently dieselled in Karstadt with the tester, but he is still so weak-chested in the current formula, albeit still unmistakably DN. I don't think it's going to work anymore, too bad. The dragon ship is old and rotten...

Even the cheap 200ml jumbo bottle is of no use...

Unique allrounder
This is a unique fragrance that has been around for a long time because its a classic scent that wont go out of style. This is a great scent for the office, it has that just got out of the shower aftershave scent.
The only test that matters with any fragrance is whether or not you would you buy it again? Having regard to the price and the bouquet 110% yes, this is one fragrance that I would buy again and again.
Perfectly fresh and masculine
Drakkar Noir is the fragrance I look forward to as soon as I put it on just before putting on my jacket. He completes me, gives this freshly showered aroma and the day begins. In the first two hours, compliments are not uncommon. Unfortunately, the scent fades quite fast and lets the assumption arise that in its current mixture and new edition it is only a copy of the original of the 80s. Those who have Drakkar Noir in their collection do nothing wrong and show class.

Drakkar Neutral
In the old days before digital, photographers would calibrate their cameras using a mid grey card, 50% black 50% white.

Drakkar Noir achieves a similar balance by mixing the dark tones of leather, patchouli and tree moss with lavender and coumarin. DN may be called black but to my synesthetic nose it smells grey, grey like fluffy mould.

The neutral tones of DN were adopted by feminists when it first came out in the eighties. The tactic of wearing traditionally male perfumes allowed women to sidestep olfactory stereotypes long before Serge Luten's Palais Royale brought crossover scents back into the mainstream.

A middle of the road fougère, sweet yet bitter, moderately heavy, opaque but nebulous, it still divides people today. Some love it. Others perhaps unsettled by its vague indeterminate nature don't like it at all.

It is easy to overdo it with DN, too much can get suffocating so moderation should be the order of the day - not too much and not too little.

I think its not bad - but not great either, just quite nice. Technically its no great shakes either, another barbershop fougère.

And the legacy of Drakkar Noir : eighties gender bender or the smell of shaving foam in a can?

Shield wall! Now!
Let's talk some statistics for starters. The sentences in which the word "school" is usually included in Drakkar Noir's reviews are rougly divided between the ones having "high" and the ones having "old" in front of it. But since I'm pretty sure that all these "high schoolers" are in no case under 40 years old, both adjectives conclude one thing. Drakkar Noir is by no means a modern fragrance. It's something that trend followers would ironically call an old lady fragrance and amuse themselves for belittling it even further by not associating it with men.
Dear trend followers, unfortunately I cannot pass as an old lady, cause despite having quite long hair, it's nowhere near white. Perhaps my year old beard has some part in it too. You see, bearded ladies belong to the same place where Drakkar Noir belongs too, according to your refined taste and aesthetics. Freak shows...So how would you call a man in his mid-forties who's featuring all this hair and digs old fragrances named after scandinavian battleships? Wait! Did someone say "a bloody Viking berserker"? I guess I could pass as one.

So, let the battle hymns fill the air.
(You may start running for cover now trend followers.)
Enter Led Zeppelin.
(Another much despised "old lady" thing.)

"We come from the land of the ice and snow from the midnight sun where the hot springs flow."

It actually came 10 years after the first Drakkar had already landed on the fabled western shore. It sailed from river Seine, which does not make it a Viking thing exactly. But who cares? This one was black!
I guess a matching black sail decorated with a skull and crossbones was fluttering on its mast as well. Too early for that you said? Pirates you said? I agree, but I also beg to differ. Pirates were not looting only gold coins but golden ideas too. And this rather unrefined emblem had always made gold coins jump into treasure chests by themselves upon showing up on the horizon. Let alone that Vikings actually WERE pirates!

If its intention was to terrorise its opponents and make them flee, Drakkar Noir landed a serious blow without even raising its hand. As we speak, many otherwise hard-boiled dudes are fleeing like cockroaches taken by surprise when someone hits the lights by seeing this veteran warrior approaching.
It brought the same amount of mayhem with a Viking fleet landing in the middle of a raging battle, cause this is exactly what the '80s were. A huge battlefield where ferrocious warriors were exchanging devastating blows in order to prevail and get all the maidens.

Drakkar Noir came to avenge its fallen brother who had perished under the combined attacks of Italian lancers (Gucci pour Homme), English bowmen (Halston 1-12 and Z-14) and Spanish expatriated swordsmen (Paco Rabanne pour Homme). And it routed them single-handedly, conquering their realms and dethroning them from the Kingdom of Macho overnight. For some years it was the absolute ruler of everything, gloriously daunting in its black panoply and towering over every laughable attempt made by usurpers trying to succeed it. Then it was its turn to be conquered, but only by time, and not without making a legendary last stand which is still reverberating through fragrance lore.

If there ever was a fragrance smelling oily and arid in the same time, this was the one. Like sticking your head into an old abandoned well and smell the thick darkness. Cold, dry and slippery. Like a dormant volcano surrounded by glaciers, occasionally venting its ire through fumaroles.
And I say "was" cause the current version of Drakkar Noir smells like a splash bottle being forgotten open since 1982 and smelled again in 2015. The ghost of a scent. And even the most ghastly ghosts become less frightening after a few decades.

But in its heyday Drakkar Noir was turning dimly lit discos and clubs into much feared lairs, packed with predators waiting for any unsuspecting prey to be lured and pass their gates.
Other fragrances of the era like Azzaro pour Homme and its kin were all about machinations and facades in order to trap their victims. Drakkar Noir was the adamant abettor of the good ol' proverbial clubbing on the head. Since we're talking about the Nordic pantheon, the first could be impersonated by Loki, while the latter was 100% Thor, and change clubbing with hammering. No elaborate wording or flamboyant behaviour here. Just plain dark spleen and meaning business. Just the thing to make a Viking warlord proud.

"Yeah, but it's so old school!"

Who said that? C'mon, who said that? No one said that? Right lad, stay hidden in the crowd! This was always a very "brave" thing to do!
Old school? Really? It's a drakkar for Odin's sake, not some high-end missile cutter! Drakkars are still badass and fabulous after more than 1000 years have passed since they first hit the waves. ("Launched" would be too obvious a pun here.) What are the chances of any high-end missile cutter to be remembered and admired after 1000 years? Probably the same with a fragrance launched during 2015 to be widely acknowledged and respected after almost 35 years, the way Drakkar Noir is as we speak.

So come closer to the fire brothers, and with swords held on high, let's bellow in unison.

"Odin I await thee! Your true son am I..."

And rest assured that the ancient gods reposing in the melancholic chambers of the fragrance Valhalla may be gone but by no means forgotten.

ElysiumElysium 7 months ago
I first smelled it on my best friend from school in the early '80s. Strongly masculine, a power together with Arrogance PH and Lancetti Uomo
VilarVilar 19 months ago
DN sort of has the reputation for being a cheap Euro trash scent and I think that is even more the reason to wear it ;)
Carlitos01Carlitos01 19 months ago
The most praised and hated perfume is still available. Too manly, to versatile, too spicy, too woody, too pleasant, too good! Recomended!
NGL7NGL7 20 months ago
if I had to take only ONE fragrance, with me to the desert island....I'll take Drakkar Noir
ItchynoseItchynose 21 months ago
Innovative and ground breaking in the 80s, reminiscent of AXE these days.
DPArtistDPArtist 23 months ago
Fresh, spicy, green, manly & timeless. A precursor to 90s power freshies, it's like taking a shower in an evergreen forest in springtime.
MrHonestMrHonest 2 years ago
From my 2004 bottle - Green, spicy, yet tender oakmoss reminiscent of vintage aftershaves. No sweetness whatsoever, yet surprisingly smooth.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
The SI-standard of pre-aquatic male freshness kept next to the prototype metre bar. Slight harshness suggests reformulation.

by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Pistazieneis
by Pistazieneis
by Mustang69
Der Reifen ist ein Aschenbecher:)
by DarkDragon85
by Tiho
by Aramv
by Aramv

Popular Guy Laroche

Fidji (1966) (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji (2003) by Guy Laroche Drakkar (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Clandestine (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Horizon (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji du Soir by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Eau Folle by Guy Laroche Drakkar Essence by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Eau de Parfum) by Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (After Shave) by Guy Laroche Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche