Drakkar Noir 1982Eau de Toilette

Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guy Laroche for men and was released in 1982. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Pierre Wargnye

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisia, Basil, Bergamot, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemon, Lemon vervain
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Coriander, Juniper, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Leather, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Fir, Vetiver, Cedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 11.01.2021.

The 80s Between Duran Duran And Spandau Ballet
Those who lived in the 80s cannot fail to remember the rivalry, the success, and the decline of the two bands that influenced the music scene of those years. Many hits by the two New Romantic groups: from The Wild Boys, Save Prayer, The Reflex for Duran Duran, to I'll Fly For You, Gold, True for Spandau Ballet. You may be wondering what this introduction has to do with perfume. Let's take a step back. In those years I was attending college with my best friend and high school rival. There was a healthy competitive rivalry between us and we couldn't wear the same perfume, we had to stand out. I first felt it on him in the early 1980s. This stuff blew me away. Since this was his signature, I had to give up and opt for another famous icon, so I chose Cacharel pour L'Homme, which became my signature for that winter of '84, and I forgot about Drakkar. Fast forward to the last day: I saw it on promotion in perfumery and bought it. It is surprisingly fresh, bitter, aromatic, spicy, clean, and manly, and now I'm here to describe it.

I have not used or smelled Drakkar Noir for over thirty years, despite having imprinted its olfactory imprint in my memory. So, I will try to describe the feelings that this newer and reformulated version gives me. In the beginning, I am greeted by the complex citrus and soapy accord characteristic of barber colognes. You can perceive the vertiginous notes of lemon and bergamot peels mixed with the more aromatic and green ones of the spikes of lavender, rosemary needles, basil leaves, and bitter artemisia. And mint, a profusion of peppery green leaves. While it's tempting to compare it to gin and tonic, the alcoholic spirit I'm thinking of here is absinthe, especially considering mugwort, which provides a slightly bitter greasiness. Being soapy doesn't mean it must smell too clean. You can smell much more interesting shades.

Despite the sparkling and invigorating opening, at the moment no memory drawer has been opened containing the message "Hey, this is Drakkar Noir!". So I have to wait a little longer to see if I recognize something more familiar in its evolution. Yet, it is an indisputably aromatic and fougère cologne. The heart, oh yes, the heart. So dusty, spicy, balsamic, and green. It is like a table set for a large gala dinner. A tablecloth of jasmine petals adorns the table, which seats Mr. Garofano, always a bit stubborn but noble, a spicier Mr. Coriander, green as always, the dark Mr. Juniper, very balsamic, and not least the sweet Mr. Cinnamon, spiced to the right point. At the end of the dinner, a beautiful blend of lavender and moss emerges with hints of wood and suede.

Finally, the base includes an intriguing and complex mix of some resinous, woody, and herbaceous notes. First of all, one of the most distinguishable notes is spruce, which offers the freshness of pine needles. Meanwhile, earthy patchouli, moist oakmoss, and refreshing cedarwood are also featured. I am really getting the sap and the resin than the heart, which was quite balmy. I feel all those spices and alcoholism of absinthe that created this almost oozing and oily flavor that adapts perfectly to the skin. Bitter herbal and aromatic fougère.

In terms of performance, this is a bitter aromatic fougère, with a pretty decent sillage, it leaves a trace but is a bit limited. And longevity, expect half a day of performing here. You will need to refresh it right after. In terms of seasonality, Drakkar Noir is a fragrance best suited for colder climates, autumn, and winter. Therefore, it probably wouldn't work very well in hot weather. I think it's too balmy, too thick, and would probably be a little stuffy if worn outside on a hot summer day. It's probably an evening or nighttime fragrance, but it could also be worn in the daytime especially since, in terms of occasion, I believe it is very much an office fragrance, not offensive or intrusive. The modern Drakkar Noir is still a glorious and legendary fragrance, even though I'm missing the oakmoss bombshell, yet I am grateful that it is still around, albeit light years away from the original version.

This review bases on a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since January 2021.

-Elysium

Drakkar Noir
Drakkar Noir (Vintage Cosmair) -

Imagine what the legacy of this fragrance would be if the bottle wasn’t jet matte black and the power broker marketing didn’t club you senseless with the excessively brash “noir-ness.”

What you would have is a completely different perception of this “barbershop” aromatic fougere. That’s right - barbershop - minus the talcum powder.

Constructed around a dizzying number of well blended accords, it’s all in there - the lavender, the bitter herbs, the florals, the oakmoss / leather. Like a fresh shave!

Make no mistake, the vintage is powerful - 2 to 3 sprays and you will be good for 12 hours or more - so with some discretion, you can easily wear this in any setting or season.

4 stars
5.5
Drakkar after the ...
...reformulation has nothing to do with the original, which I loved. This woody , spicy freshness had once fascinated me. Too bad, but I had me the fragrance out of curiosity times again zugelegt. To my dismay, this once formative scent very quickly devolved into pure synthetic. I hate this realization, but it is unfortunately the signs of the times
When daddy shaves
Childhood memories. Does anyone here still know this green goo (slime) that you wanted to have as a child? I remember the smell of it. Or the first time you send a Slinky down the stairs. Those are childhood memories for me. Including the smell that I noticed when my father sat down at the breakfast table on Saturday after he had shaved. That's what I always said "real men" smelled like. Drakkar Noir is exactly that smell. Freshly shaved. Clean and yet incredibly masculine. It is timeless. I hope dads will still wear it to the breakfast table in forty years.
DN1982
He was one for everything - today you can forget him
The scent already caught my attention in a very positive way with my great uncle who died many years ago. Also because as a child I somehow always had the thought that good fragrances are actually more a domain of women
So at the age of ten or eleven, in 1986 or '87, we were visiting my great uncle and were just getting ready to go home, he said to me: "Wait a minute, I have something for you."

Game? Tension? Chocolate? Well, he was always very frugal with that sort of thing. And now he goes into the bathroom. What could he bring from there? His squeaky duck, perhaps?
Far from it. He held a small flat black box with the writing Drakkar Noir in his hand. With a smile on his face he opened the small box with his fingers and pulled out a small glass bottle. He pulled the lid off the vial, which had a long thin plastic strip on it, stroked me along with the strip behind my left ear, dipped it back into the vial, and repeated the whole thing behind my right ear. Then he put the lid back on, put the small bottle back in the box, closed it and put it in my hand.
That's a fine thing, just right for a fine fellow like you, he said with a mild, thoroughly honest smile in his eyes
And already the olfactory delight unfolded! And that at this low dose of maybe a tenth of a milliliter - I was baff!
I cherished this specimen, using the fragrance exclusively for larger family celebrations.
Eventually, the sample ran out. I kept the empty specimen for a while and in the meantime tried all kinds of (shaving) waters, many of which were good, but not nearly as good as Drakkar Noir.

One day I was leafing through a magazine and found advertisements for Drakkar Noir. Drakkar Noir? That name mean anything to you?
What was even nicer, there was a small card with a scent sample stuck on the advertisement.
Ripped open, nose in, and there it was again, the dragon boat. So I picked up some money and went to get a bottle of that scented bomb. There it was again, this olfactory delight, which brought me one compliment after the other and at times I could hardly save myself from inquiries about what kind of perfume I was wearing. Mind you, it was the beginning of the nineties, when Drakkar Noir was supposedly in everyone's nose, the best-selling men's EdT etc.; but nobody except my great uncle wore it, which amazes me to this day
Drakkar Noir was really suitable for every occasion and also when the better is the enemy of the good: Never chance a running system! Especially if it suits you perfectly right from the start and doesn't have to be smelled better by tens of times trying it. Over the years I have kept some fragrances through and also in my repertoire, but the permanent staff includes DN!

In the end, it was lucky for everyone involved that my great-uncle was one of the last wounded to be flown out of the Stalingrad cauldron and thus survived the Second World War in southern France, where he met a Frenchwoman who was born with a love of good scents. Otherwise I would probably never have ended up with this bombastic scent, which was so formative. Posthumously again many thanks for it
At some point, however, it must have been around 2000, this classic must have been slightly changed for the first time. At the same time, it was no longer Cosmair printed on the back of the bottle of the coveted fabric, but LLC. I still had the old one and could compare both versions directly against each other or have them compared. The spray head was changed as well, it got smaller and does not stick out as much as the old one
The juice didn't necessarily get worse, it became a bit milder and more base note-heavy or heart and base notes appear earlier (which I liked quite well), but with the exception of the leather note, which was perfectly tuned before and unfortunately is no longer there this year.
However, this reformulation was at the expense of durability! He still packs his 5-6 hours. But if you know that Drakkar Noir was about twice as strong in the original version and the sillage was a whole lot stronger, you might be a bit disappointed. Especially since two sprays were once the absolute maximum dosage, where it now needs double.

Around 2009, I suddenly found myself enjoying flacons with the inscription Cosmair, which, according to the seller, were supposed to be from current production and came close to the original in terms of fragrance and durability. An inquiry with Guy Laroche, who is now the current (!) distributor of Drakkar Noir, was never answered. Since I have been smelling good for years and had to ask this unpleasant question to other manufacturers as well, I could quickly make the observation that I never (!) received an answer. Why only, if they don't have any dirt or IFRA on them?

However, the seller from whom I bought a bottle from Cosmair times in 2009 swindled me! DN was all and I ordered from another shop. What did I get? One from LLC from 2010!!! What does that tell us? Fresh goods still only come from LLC - until today! Since all other lovers of good fragrances buy everything old and unreformulated from under your nose, the chances of getting old new goods have now dropped to zero. Opened flacons or ancient miniatures via Ebay excluded.

Now it's the year 2020 and again DN smells different than my last 2013 badge! The spray head has been changed again, now it is the old bigger one from years ago. Of course the label on the bottle has been redesigned a little bit. After several adjustments I can say with certainty that between 2000 and 2020 DN was operated on three times - more questions?
Interestingly enough, DN is now coming back to its former, full-bodied self. Not like the original from the 1980s, but closer to it than what was thrown on the market 10 years ago. They seem to have found an adequate replacement for oakmoss. Even the zero in leather that DN's friends had to put up with has given way to at least a barely audible +0.1 in leather.
Peace, joy, DN? No! Even though the overall composition is rounder in itself, the makers have now taken away any form of reach from the good boy. No matter how much reformulation has been done on him - if the bottle is empty, I will buy more after 4 weeks at the latest without DN, because I am missing something else. My current 2020 badge (100 ml) is half empty after 6 weeks of daily use, I refill it at least twice a day with at least 6 sprayers each. I never had such an immense wear and tear! As soon as it is there, it is already gone! The scent is still great, but those who don't know it until today should leave it at this status quo, it is just frustration! It's sad that I have to say this, but let's take it off the market

Rquill67
80's throwback! Kickin' it Old School!
This fragrance sits along side the original Polo for me (green bottle). Totally brings me back to the 80s when I wore both fragrances in high school. Definitely an 80’s throwback. Strong and masculine DNA! This is your typical lavender, leather and oak moss men’s fragrance. Many like it on the market. Not my favourite dark fragrance on the market. Also plays to the under 30 crowd. Good sillage. Lasts 6-8 hours. Probably a good clubbing fragrance. 5 / 10 for me.

Afterdark
Used to be sexy... actually
An icon actually, a trend setter actually, yes actually for a while the most sold perfume ever and was actually considered very sexy in the bars, discos and clubs.

Today is a shadow of his former self. Castrated and reduced to the bare essentials. Oakmoss has completely disappeared and therefore the beautiful lavender is a bit sweeter and simpler today because there is no contrast. Oakmoss was so important for the depth and dimensions of many fragrances.

For me it is still beautiful and I will always have a bottle of it but every time I spray it on I get a little sad what Guy Laroche has done with this fragrance...but then I say to myself that at least it is still there, many of my favourites especially the Gucci are long out of the assortment.
5.5
ThomC
Short blazer with nasty shoulder pads. Welcome 80ies!
My old man had worn this fragrance from 1988 to 1989. And I had to put up with him when I was 12 years old. Because he always wore it too much and thought: a lot is good. This scent had eaten into my young brain at times, had accompanied me everywhere, in the passenger seat, during visits, at home. It was his attempt to dress up for the ladies after the divorce. He had never really worn perfume before. Looking back, I have to say: "Drakkar Noir" was not a bad choice, it had corresponded to the spirit of the times, had style, was shrill. I just had to smell it again after more than thirty years. A self-check, if I would recognize it again after such a long time.
No, I didn't really. Anyway, no memories came rushing back. And yet it seemed familiar. But I don't like it, because it smells like a cheap man, it scratches my nose, it smells like flashy 80s fashion, like pushiness. I just smell, without any recognizable single scents. And it lacks the "whistle", the twist in the brain somehow, which makes me say: I want to wear this. Nope! The bottle stands in the bathroom with the felt billion others as a monument to a vanished spirit of the age. A warning and a reminder at the same time. That's okay. But not anymore

Unique allrounder
This is a unique fragrance that has been around for a long time because its a classic scent that wont go out of style. This is a great scent for the office, it has that just got out of the shower aftershave scent.
The only test that matters with any fragrance is whether or not you would you buy it again? Having regard to the price and the bouquet 110% yes, this is one fragrance that I would buy again and again.
Perfectly fresh and masculine
Drakkar Noir is the fragrance I look forward to as soon as I put it on just before putting on my jacket. He completes me, gives this freshly showered aroma and the day begins. In the first two hours, compliments are not uncommon. Unfortunately, the scent fades quite fast and lets the assumption arise that in its current mixture and new edition it is only a copy of the original of the 80s. Those who have Drakkar Noir in their collection do nothing wrong and show class.

ElysiumElysium 10 months ago
I first smelled it on my best friend from school in the early '80s. Strongly masculine, a power together with Arrogance PH and Lancetti Uomo
VilarVilar 2 years ago
DN sort of has the reputation for being a cheap Euro trash scent and I think that is even more the reason to wear it ;)
Carlitos01Carlitos01 2 years ago
The most praised and hated perfume is still available. Too manly, to versatile, too spicy, too woody, too pleasant, too good! Recomended!
NGL7NGL7 2 years ago
if I had to take only ONE fragrance, with me to the desert island....I'll take Drakkar Noir
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Innovative and ground breaking in the 80s, reminiscent of AXE these days.
DPArtistDPArtist 2 years ago
Fresh, spicy, green, manly & timeless. A precursor to 90s power freshies, it's like taking a shower in an evergreen forest in springtime.
MrHonestMrHonest 3 years ago
From my 2004 bottle - Green, spicy, yet tender oakmoss reminiscent of vintage aftershaves. No sweetness whatsoever, yet surprisingly smooth.
HajuvanaHajuvana 4 years ago
The SI-standard of pre-aquatic male freshness kept next to the prototype metre bar. Slight harshness suggests reformulation.

by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Mustang69
Der Reifen ist ein Aschenbecher:)
by DarkDragon85
by Aramv
by Kennaz
by Kennaz

Popular Guy Laroche

Fidji (1966) (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji (2003) by Guy Laroche Drakkar (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji du Soir by Guy Laroche Horizon (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Clandestine (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Eau de Parfum) by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Eau Folle by Guy Laroche Drakkar Essence by Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (After Shave) by Guy Laroche Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche