Drakkar Noir 1982 Eau de Toilette

Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche
Bottle Design Pierre Dinand
Drakkar Noir (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Guy Laroche for men and was released in 1982. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still available to purchase.

Pierre Wargnye

Top Notes Top NotesArtemisiaArtemisia BasilBasil BergamotBergamot LavenderLavender RosemaryRosemary LemonLemon Lemon vervainLemon vervain
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation JasmineJasmine CorianderCoriander JuniperJuniper CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber OakmossOakmoss LeatherLeather PatchouliPatchouli SandalwoodSandalwood FirFir VetiverVetiver CedarwoodCedarwood

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 23.06.2022.

*The* 80s Classic
Classic fresh dark fragrance that was enormously popular in the 80s. Opens with citrus, lavender, and juniper berries, then goes into soapy leather. Was a powerhouse, but the reformulations toned it way down, so now it blends quite well with current sensibilities, if you care about that sort of thing.

Warning: reformulated version needs 8-10 sprays minimum.

Masculinity Level: the vintage version was Don Johnson barreling down Ocean Drive in a white Ferrari Testarossa. Reformulated he's driving a Mazda.

Fougere
Fougeres are blends with sweet top-notes, lavender and oakmoss. Well, this Drakkar is a perfect example of such kind of compositions. Not the classiest around when launched, still, a truthful one.

It does smell dated, so if fashion is your kick, rule it out. Strong? Too, sillage - wise, actually. Complex too. Good longevity also. In a nutshell, it will accompany you along the day, you will get whiffs of it as time goes by.

If you wear it you will know how smart, well dressed men felt twenty years ago when leaving for a date or the disco.

Besides notes and accords, you might as well enjoy that.

Let's talk on Drakkar.
I knew this frag because of a certain youtuber's video on old school colognes. Drakkar Noir and Azzaro (Which are quite similar, lavender heavy scents with some type of anise nuance, leather and oakmoss) made the list, along some pretty heavy colognes such as Hermes bel ami and stuff. Drakkar Noir was described as a "juvenile fougere scent" which indeed is. It is very similar to Azzaro as i said before, but it just smells less mature, sexier and cleaner. I have a 200ml bottle from a batch which i think is from 2016. Let's talk on that.

First, the opening, which is an amazingly fresh opening with some citrus tones. Aromatic, herbal as well. The heart reveals woods, more herbs and even a touch of florals such as carnation, a heavily used note in old school colognes. In the drydown we get a punch of leather (A leather which is amazingly realistic and i guess is based upon isobutyl-quinoline, i guess the reformulations introduced that leather in the fragrance, or if it was Wargnye original, it is very very realistic and differs from the russian leathers of the time such as Polo green and OdlR Pour Lui...) and a plethora of woods and earth notes such as moss, vetiver, patchouli, fir, pine, resins, et cetera. I find this fragrance to have been concieved in a period that i consider the "baroque" era of perfumery. Drakkar has 25 listed notes, an impressive amount when compared to modern day frags (Obviously modern ones have way more aromachemical ingredients, but notes? Hah.) and that makes me think how hard it must have been to mix all those ingredient oils, in such small quantities when the perfume was originally created. I think this is perfectly usable by men in any age group. A 50 year old man can use it to recall the days of old and a 20 year old guy can rock it as well without smelling dated or stuff, i guess it would be nice to young women and it would get them curious since it's not animalic at all as it still smells like a soap, like the nature or stuff. The reformulations surely have made it less heavy and fresher, which is good. Amazingly versatile, perfect for fall and spring, can be used in cool summer days and not-so-cold winter times, dressed up, dressed down, leather jacket, bomber jacket, (It's the 80's Sauvage...) date, casual ocassion, school, HUGE ET CETERA. The performance is something to mention though, the first day i used it i sprayed the fragrance happily. It lasted an hour. Now, after almost two years of use, if i spray weakly it lasts a couple of hours if i'm lucky. Needs to be oversprayed some 3 or 4 times in the same spot, make up some 10 sprays in the body and that's it.

Overall, i think this is a great frag, and bang for the buck is pretty good. As i mentioned the performance is quite weak in the beginning, but after that it just gets better. An amazing old school cologne with pretty much no animalic tones on it, perfectly usable nowadays. Some consider it a random uncle frag, but it really is a masterpiece when analyzed.

Buy Vintage
Funny thing is when Drakkar Noir first came on the market in 1982 i never paid any attention to it. However all these yrs later i find myself searching all over the internet for an early 80s bottle because I've come to love Drakkar Noir. Simply put it was one of only two fragrances in the 1980s where every man owned a bottle. The other scent was Azzaro PH. I own 3 vintage bottles. 1 from 1991 and the other 2 from 1993. Very masculine and the oakmoss at the base really packs a punch. A true 80s powerhouse with good longevity. I get about 7hrs of wear which is sufficient. The very first formula contained patchouli which made it really stand out above all others but in 1989 the patchouli note was removed for SOME reason which made the fragrance have a detergent kind of vibe at the base. That's why i search high and low for that very first batch. Hopefully I'll come across it.

Timeless soap
Although I know that Drakkar has been reformulated several times, I still find it a very good product to this day.

I hear many people say that it evaporates very quickly and that the smell is completely different than it used to be. I partially agree, however; Drakkar Noir from the 80s was so dated and known that it would no longer sell at this time (I would buy it but alot of people won’t)

The fragrance is well balanced in my opinion, projects VERY well in the first 4 hours and stays as a skin scent for 6-7 hours.

This is a scent that your nose quickly gets used to, but other people really smell you, believe me.

ScentSlave
I grabbed it just to take a trip down memory lane
And it still brings back visual memories of yesterday; (it immediately makes me think of women’s bangs being hairsprayed into 3inch high fan’s, and men rocking mullets)... You can definitely tell it’s been altered, however...

It’s as if a fantastic artist was asked to paint a copy of a priceless piece; while it may look exactly like what he/she is replicating, you will always be able to see the minute differences that are no longer there.

Firstly, the modern version opening is quite watered down, and it feels as if today’s opening is more of yesterdays mid notes... ie... it starts out with the soapy middle, and yesterday’s opening is gone... and when it dries down, it fades out ridiculously fast... scent wise, just for nostalgia, it is enough to take you there in imagination land, but as for something to wear? I think not. Projection/sillage is zero after an hour, and that’s being nice. If you want to counter that with overspray, the resemblance to the original is present enough to brand you with the nauseating overspray of the past (rule number one of scent club is, you never overspray Drakkar Noir)...

I enjoyed this in 7th-8th grade, and I purchased it for memories sake, but today there are so many more that will make your day (and those around you) much happier. Just being able to own and remember, you’ll be happy... but I’m not recommending anyone to sport this to a gathering of any sort.

The 80s Between Duran Duran And Spandau Ballet
Those who lived in the 80s cannot fail to remember the rivalry, success, and decline of the two bands that influenced those years' music scene. Many hits by the two New Romantic groups: from The Wild Boys, Save Prayer, The Reflex for Duran Duran, to I'll Fly For You, Gold, True for Spandau Ballet. You may be wondering what this introduction has to do with perfume. Let's take a step back. In those years, I was attending college with my best friend and high school rival. There was a healthy competitive rivalry between us, and we couldn't wear the same perfume; we had to stand out. I first felt it on him in the early 1980s. This stuff blew me away. Since this was his signature, I had to give up and opt for another famous icon, so I chose Cacharel pour L'Homme, which became my signature for that winter of '84, and I forgot about Drakkar. Fast forward to the last day: I saw it on promotion in perfumery and bought it. It is surprisingly fresh, bitter, aromatic, spicy, clean, and manly, and now I'm here to describe it.

I have not used or smelled Drakkar Noir for over thirty years, despite imprinting its olfactory imprint in my memory. So, I will try to describe the feelings that this newer and reformulated version gives me. In the beginning, I am greeted by the complex citrus and soapy accord characteristic of barber colognes. And with soapy, I mean the smell of the shaving soap I used during my teens, those red or green cups made by Palmolive, Wilkinson, or Proraso. That's exactly the soapy aroma I get here. I perceive the vertiginous notes of lemon and bergamot peels mixed with the more aromatic and green ones of the spikes of lavender, rosemary needles, basil leaves, and bitter artemisia. And mint, a profusion of peppery green leaves. While it's tempting to compare it to gin and tonic, the alcoholic spirit I'm thinking of here is absinthe, especially considering mugwort, which provides a slightly bitter greasiness. Being soapy doesn't mean it must smell too clean. You can sense much more exciting shades.

Despite the sparkling and invigorating opening, at the moment, no memory drawer has been opened containing the message "Hey, this is Drakkar Noir!". So I have to wait a little longer to see if I recognize something more familiar in its evolution. Yet, it is an indisputably aromatic and fougère cologne. The heart, oh yes, the heart. So dusty, spicy, balsamic, and green. It is like a table set for a large gala dinner. A tablecloth of jasmine petals adorns the table, which seats Mr. Garofano, always a bit stubborn but noble, a spicier Mr. Coriander, green as always, the dark Mr. Juniper, very balsamic, and not least the sweet Mr. Cinnamon, spiced to the right point. At the end of the dinner, a beautiful blend of lavender and moss emerges with hints of wood and suede.

Finally, the base includes an intriguing and complex mix of some resinous, woody, and herbaceous notes. One of the most distinguishable notes is spruce, which offers the freshness of pine needles. Meanwhile, earthy patchouli, moist oakmoss, and refreshing cedarwood are also featured. I am really getting the sap and the resin than the heart, which was relatively balmy. I feel all those spices and alcoholism of absinthe created this almost oozing and oily flavor that adapts perfectly to the skin—bitter herbal and aromatic fougère.

In terms of performance, this is a bitter, aromatic fougère, with a pretty decent sillage, it leaves a trace but is a bit limited. And longevity, expect half a day of performing here. You will need to refresh it right after. Drakkar Noir is a fragrance best suited for colder climates, autumn, and winter in terms of seasonality. Therefore, it probably wouldn't work very well in hot weather. I think it's too balmy, too thick, and would probably be a little stuffy if worn outside on a hot summer day. It's perhaps an evening or nighttime fragrance. Still, it could also be worn in the daytime, especially since, in terms of occasion, I believe it is very much an office fragrance, not offensive or intrusive. The modern Drakkar Noir is still a glorious and legendary fragrance, even though I'm missing the oakmoss bombshell. Yet, I am grateful that it is still around, albeit light years away from the original version.

This review bases on a 100ml (3.4 fl. oz) bottle I own since January 2021.

-Elysium

Drakkar Noir
Drakkar Noir (Vintage Cosmair) -

Imagine what the legacy of this fragrance would be if the bottle wasn’t jet matte black and the power broker marketing didn’t club you senseless with the excessively brash “noir-ness.”

What you would have is a completely different perception of this “barbershop” aromatic fougere. That’s right - barbershop - minus the talcum powder.

Constructed around a dizzying number of well blended accords, it’s all in there - the lavender, the bitter herbs, the florals, the oakmoss / leather. Like a fresh shave!

Make no mistake, the vintage is powerful - 2 to 3 sprays and you will be good for 12 hours or more - so with some discretion, you can easily wear this in any setting or season.

4 stars
5.5
Drakkar after the ...
...reformulation has nothing to do with the original, which I loved. This woody , spicy freshness had once fascinated me. Too bad, but I had me the fragrance out of curiosity times again zugelegt. To my dismay, this once formative scent very quickly devolved into pure synthetic. I hate this realization, but it is unfortunately the signs of the times
When daddy shaves
Childhood memories. Does anyone here still know this green goo (slime) that you wanted to have as a child? I remember the smell of it. Or the first time you send a Slinky down the stairs. Those are childhood memories for me. Including the smell that I noticed when my father sat down at the breakfast table on Saturday after he had shaved. That's what I always said "real men" smelled like. Drakkar Noir is exactly that smell. Freshly shaved. Clean and yet incredibly masculine. It is timeless. I hope dads will still wear it to the breakfast table in forty years.

Topfpflanze3Topfpflanze3 3 months ago
this is THE fougere. Manly green and fresh, crisp aftershave with slightly creamy undertones. Maybe slightly dated but not toooo bad
RobbieXRobbieX 8 months ago
A lovely fresh, spicy and linear perfume. A men's classic.
JMWeedJMWeed 8 months ago
Smells like a nice clean shave…or axe body spray. So familiar. EVERYONE over 12 has smelled this scent. Would be a must have if released now
ChicoRoch1ChicoRoch1 9 months ago
I must own 6 bottles of the stuff and every one is a vintage bottle. Look for anything made between 1982-1989
Finerthings8Finerthings8 12 months ago
Almost every grooming product smelled like this in 90’s,aftershaves,soaps,shaving foams,guy sitting next to you.Such a familiar sent memory
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
Although with less oakmoss than the vintage, this fragrance is still a great fougère to have. Spicy lavender with creamy shaving foam. 4/5
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
I first smelled it on my best friend from school in the early '80s. Strongly masculine, a power together with Arrogance PH and Lancetti Uomo
VilarVilar 3 years ago
DN sort of has the reputation for being a cheap Euro trash scent and I think that is even more the reason to wear it ;)
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
The most praised and hated perfume is still available. Too manly, to versatile, too spicy, too woody, too pleasant, too good! Recomended!
NGL7NGL7 3 years ago
if I had to take only ONE fragrance, with me to the desert island....I'll take Drakkar Noir

by GothicHeart
by GothicHeart
by Mustang69
Der Reifen ist ein Aschenbecher:)
by DarkDragon85
by Tiho
by Aramv
by Aramv

Popular by Guy Laroche

Fidji (1966) (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Fidji (2003) (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji (2003) (Eau de Parfum) by Guy Laroche Drakkar (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Clandestine (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Horizon (Eau de Toilette) by Guy Laroche Fidji du Soir by Guy Laroche Fidji (1966) (Eau de Parfum) by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé (Parfum) by Guy Laroche Eau Folle by Guy Laroche Drakkar Essence by Guy Laroche Drakkar Intense by Guy Laroche Drakkar Noir (After Shave) by Guy Laroche Drakkar Dynamik by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé Aqua by Guy Laroche Eau Folle - Coccinelle by Guy Laroche Eau Folle - Tartaruga by Guy Laroche J'ai Osé Baby by Guy Laroche