Catalyst 1993 Eau de Toilette

Catalyst (Eau de Toilette) by Halston
Catalyst (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Halston for women and was released in 1993. The scent is floral-chypre. The longevity is above-average. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot GardeniaGardenia HyacinthHyacinth PeachPeach
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnationCarnation Orris rootOrris root JasmineJasmine Lily of the valleyLily of the valley NarcissusNarcissus Orange blossomOrange blossom OrchidOrchid RoseRose TuberoseTuberose
Base Notes Base NotesAmberAmber MuskMusk SandalwoodSandalwood VanillaVanilla CedarCedar Tree mossTree moss OakmossOakmoss

Submitted by PontNeuf, last update on 20.05.2022.

Unfulfilled longing
Because the EDT by HALSTON (1974) for women still haunts my olfactory memory, I have, after Amber (in the gold bottle), dared to approach Catalyst. After a perfume evaluation, exactly my thing. Thought, ordered, delivered. As I unpacked the bottle, I immediately noticed that the liquid in the nice bottle shimmered quite dark brown. The first spraying showed without a doubt that this bottle is unfortunately "tilted". I could barely recognize/recognize the opening chords and the heart notes and was immediately reminded of Giorgio Beverly Hills, not unpleasant - although he was never my fragrance. Drowned out by the penetrating, sour, pointy and musty haze. It's such a pity, I would have loved to enjoy the green in the fragrance in spring/summer and no nose in my environment would have guessed what it was
Holla the forest fairy
Only recently I became aware of the Halston brand and because I liked Halston Woman Amber so much, Halston Woman and Catalyst were also ordered blind. I have regretted none of my purchases.

Catalyst starts with a slightly bitter astringency and I can immediately recognize gardenia and bergamot. The hyacinth also sends me a greeting, but I can't make out a peach.

Then it's gonna happen in quick succession. For me, it becomes impossible to identify individual flowers after the top note. Only the carnation I can guess, but only because it is listed in the pyramid and I think it is quite possible that some cloves have been added. Then a little incense comes through to me. Economical, but clearly perceptible. The whole smoky sea of flowers is covered with powder and I am curious how this fragrance journey will go on.

With time Catalyst gets warmer and like me it also seems softer, but not chummy and never even nearly sweet. Even in the base, I can't divide the individual ingredients, because here, too, everything is tightly interwoven. I blame the sandalwood for the warmth, vanilla and amber for the softness and moss for the earthiness. Still I can recognize a breath of incense, which accompanies this fragrance experience.

Everyone who is enthusiastic about crackers like Cabotine etc. should definitely try Catalyst. In 1993 the fragrance for ladies came onto the market, but men should not be deterred by it and should simply test it.

However, one should be careful with the dosage. One sprayer too many and Catalyst will probably turn into a true monster. So be careful with the spray head, because here too the dose makes the poison. Sometimes less is actually more.

Catalyst accompanies me for about 10 to 12 hours. But only in my spare time, because it is a special fragrance. Also at temperatures from 25° I refrain from spraying, because otherwise it could be really exhausting for my fellow men.

A Collision
Nothing sweet about this Halston, picked up bargain shopping. It's interesting, though, and encourages me to re-sniff several of its notes to better understand them. First of all, this fragrance is green! Which are the cause among its 20 notes? As a start I reach for hyacinth, orris root and narcissus as likely culprits. Yes, hyacinth has that "decaying vegetal' smell, while narcissus can smell a bit like a bog and gardenia, too--well, it may be associated with secret love, but I'd say it's love's aftermath. These are the kind of notes that can ennoble "prettier" florals. I learned that from analyzing Rodin by Ollo Lusso, a marvel of Jasmine and Neroli, pushed to the heights by Lily of the Valley. In this perfume, the lot of them have just collided, with hyacinth dominant. They've even added orchid, another floral not particularly lovely on its own. The base reads beautifully, but in spite of it and Jasmine, Rose, Peach, etc., this scent doesn't work, IMO, because the embellishments have taken over and drowned out the main accord. CAN these notes work together? Sure. Ask Jeane-Claude Ellena, who designed the magnificent First for Van Cleef & Arpels, using not only hyacinth, narcissus, orris and orchid, but lily-of-the-valley, too!

by Turandot
by Cyn
by Vawallpa
by Vawallpa

Popular by Halston

Halston Z-14 (Cologne) by Halston Halston (Eau de Toilette) by Halston Halston 1-12 (Cologne) by Halston Halston Woman Amber by Halston Halston Man Amber by Halston Catalyst for Men (Eau de Toilette) by Halston Halston Woman by Halston Halston Limited by Halston Halston Man (Eau de Toilette) by Halston Halston 101 (Cologne) by Halston Halston Z (Eau de Toilette) by Halston Halston Night (Cologne) by Halston Halston (Perfume) by Halston Halston Couture (Cologne) by Halston Halston Sheer by Halston Halston Night (Perfume) by Halston Catalyst for Men (After Shave) by Halston Unbound for Men by Halston Halston (Alcohol-Free Cologne) by Halston Unbound by Halston