ButterflyHanae Mori (1995) Eau de Toilette

Version from 1995
Butterfly / Hanae Mori (1995) (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ
Bottle Design: Pierre Dinand

Butterfly is a perfume by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ for women and was released in 1995. The scent is sweet-fruity. It is still in production.

Bernard Ellena

Top Notes Top NotesWild strawberry, Blackberry, Blackcurrant, Blueberry
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Ylang-ylang, Jasmine, French peony
Base Notes Base NotesRosewood, Almond wood, Sandalwood, French cedar

Submitted by DerThomyDer, last update on 18.09.2019

6.0 6.0 8.0 5.0/10

Berry vanilla cream cake
I have a small bottle of parfum concentration. While wearing it, it's like my skin is savouring a rich cream cake with plenty of various berries. It smells so creamy! And I thought there must be vanilla, though it's not among the notes. When the floral notes become more prominent, it reminds me of a body cream however I can't remember what it was. After several hours, the sandalwood takes over sweet fruity and floral notes, adding a more mature touch.

It's innocent and romantic, feminity of extreme. The sillage is moderate and the longevity can reach 9h. However I barely wear it outside. It always reminds of a cozy Sunday afternoon when we read a book or spend some quality time with our beloved ones. And I'm always craving a tea or a coffee while wearing this yummy berry cream cake. Guess my small bottle will be ok for a period of time.

Originally written in 2013.
5.0 5.0 6.0/10

The Surprise Vanilla
Hanae Mori opens with a strong backed-by-mild-citrus-vanillic smell - so strong that I had to double check on various sites to ensure I did not miss "Vanilla" somewhere on the list. It stays that way for several minutes before toning down a tad and allowing a slightly musky and floral (maybe even a tad spicy) sandalwood to peek through. This stage lasted a LONG time, with the "vanilla" (still do not know where that's from) gradually allowing more creamy berries and flowers to show.

Because of how creamy it is, I'd say it's a semi-heavy perfume, definitely not one I'd put on on warm, humid days. I tested this when it was about 10 degrees Celsius out, and I still felt like it was a bit too much for me, but then again, this is a matter of personal preference.

I did enjoy this although I found myself wishing it did not have such a dominant vanillic presence, but overall it came across as a gentle, delicate, feminine, and mature (not necessarily old) scent that brings to mind a meadow filled with baby pink and white flowers. Never too sweet or too floral or too fruity.

Longevity: Around 5 hours
Sillage: Arm's length

Hanae Mori
Hanae Mori is the kind of scent you wish for whilst thinking of pearls, blush pink roses, and tea length dresses. I think it's quite cute in the way that at first whiff you think "nice, vanilla!" but after a good few moments you realize it's very similar but actually made up of an array of entirely different notes. It's very soft and pretty, even delicate in my opinion. It starts off with a very loud burst of strawberry and sandalwood before drying down to reveal more floral notes. The overall effect is a very creamy scent very close to vanilla yet still a little bit cheeky in the way it goes "haha, vanilla? just kidding!" when you look at the pyramid.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Strawberry Milkshake and Toasted Almonds
Sitting in misty, foggy woods, drinking a strawberry milkshake and eating salted almonds. That pretty much sums up Hanae Mori for me. Oh, don’t forget the black eyeliner. That’s a definite wear. And listening to drum circle music. This is one perfume that takes you places.
It’s a perfume I’ve learned not to overspray. It’s there when I think it’s not. It’s vanilla wrapped with a nutty feel but not a traditional vanilla. This vanilla is smooth, creamy, mellow, powdery, fruity and musky. It’s moonlit nights, eyeliner, jazz music and funky shoes. It’s mood perfume.
There is a sophistication and maturity to Hanae Mori that can be pulled off appropriately by the right woman if she’s flaunting herself naturally. It’s a sensual perfume that begs to be worn by a Seductress. The incense of this fragrance wafts around her innocently yet captures others. There’s a smokiness to it that’s not heavy at all but there, just light enough to mesmerize.
Hanae Mori is a thick perfume if applied too heavily. It will come back with the heat of your skin and tickle your nose when you least expect it. Although its thickness can be somewhat off-putting to some, that quality gives it a unique, almost viscous feel. That’s its muskiness drawing you in. It’s a heavy and thick musk with a sweetness that wraps around the vanilla with a gauzy scarf. This is a season-less perfume with mild floral undertones that can be worn anywhere, anytime, as long as you don’t go heavy on the spritzing finger.
There are four fruits in the top notes to tantalize you. Blueberry, blackberry, strawberry and black currant work together with the middle and base notes to create the vanilla which is actually not listed. Wearing Hanae Mori you definitely feel this is a vanilla-based perfume.
Hanae Mori is considered a linear perfume, meaning that altho there are three layers of notes, the perfume stays the same throughout its run. It just stays beautiful throughout its many hours of runtime.
The day I picked this up, I was on my way to visit my grandson. Naturally, I spritzed some on as soon as I bought it. I really didn’t notice it while I was with him, thinking I had sprayed it very lightly earlier. When I returned home, I received a text from my daughter asking me what perfume her son was now wearing. I didn’t realize so little would transfer to him. That’s how strong Hanae Mori really is.
Hanae Mori doesn’t announce herself but you’ll remember she was there. Kind of like a butterfly. She leaves a lasting impression.
5.0 2.5 5.0 6.0/10

Great Clothing Scent
HANAE MORI is a clothing scent. That is, like Bvlgari Pour Femme, it dries down beautifully on clothing. You want to open a sweater and for it to smell like Hanae Mori, which is a young chiffon of a scent that evokes thoughts of a wedge of honeydew.
10.0/10

Vanillic Masterpiece!
I’ve tried the EDT, EDP, and the Parfum versions of this fragrance and decided that the BEST version is invariably the Parfum version as far as longevity, projection, and overall quality. The EDT was too weak on my skin and had a urine-like, almost bug repellant note in it that I couldn’t get past. The EDP version was an improvement as that unpleasant note disappeared. But the Parfum version really nailed it. It is the least woody and fruity of the concentrations and yet it is also the richest of them all. The berries here aren’t juicy but rather have that “cooked” feeling as in a decadent fruity vanilla cream cake that just came out of the oven. The florals present themselves in a supporting role, ylang ylang being in the lead, and yet never tempering with the gourmand aroma of the fragrance. This makes it incredibly sensual, making this MUCH more than just a vanilla cake batter fragrance. There are no indolic notes, no bitterness, no sharp woods. Everything is divinely blended. I highly recommend everyone to try the Parfum version. There hasn’t been one guy that smelled this and didn’t want to smell it again by coming audaciously closer to me with a moan escaping their lips!! This is a rare vanillic gem. And I’d dare to call it a masterpiece!
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Strawberries and cream flavoured icecream
Hanae Mori is unfortunately a relatively unknown brand in Australia, and its obscurity drove me crazy. For years I wanted to get hold of this very popular vanilla gourmand to smell it for myself, and to end the torment. Finally I was given the chance when a sample of Hanae Mori was sent my way.

What struck me almost immediately, was the rather unpredictable opening. I was expecting straight-up, sweet vanilla, so the somewhat fruity, berry smoothie-like introduction really surprised me.

Hanae Mori EDT has a beautiful strawberry accord. The scent reminds me of strawberries and cream flavoured icecream. Absolutely delicious! It is most definitely a gourmand, however occasionally it merges into oriental vanilla territory.

This is a very heavy fragrance, so I highly recommend a light application. Get too carried away with the spritzing, and you could land yourself a headache and a few dirty looks. However, in small doses, Hanae Mori is beautiful. I had a slight fear that this would be a teen-only kind of gourmand, but I'm pleased to say that women would enjoy wearing this too.

Towards the drydown, Hanae Mori loses a lot of the sugary berries and settles into a beautiful warm vanilla and sandalwood blend. Despite its somewhat juvenile and fruity introduction, the end is clearly more mature and sensual. The vanilla note is deliciously creamy and smooth.

Hanae Mori EDT is a great recommendation for women seeking a fragrance with either strawberry, vanilla or gourmand qualities, or even the three combined. The longevity is fabulous, as is the sillage. I am really impressed. Australia needs to start selling this.
8.0/10

Awesomeness
Original Hanae Mori ~ Best in Parfum (Red Butterfly)
Hanae Mori Hanae Mori is the original fragrance with the mark of this Japanese designer. It's often called the Butterfly to differentiate it from other fragrances in the line. The Butterfly is a creamy, sweet-ish fruity scent. Although created in the mid-1990s, it still smells fresh & young even today.

The pink butterfly is the EdT, which I find wearable anytime of the year. The blue butterfly is the EdP, which I find sweeter. It's quite good, albeit a bit "young." I prefer HM Magical Moon to the Butterfly, and I adore HM Haute Couture which is unlike the Butterfly. I would pick up a bottle of Butterfly in EdT if I stumbled across an excellent price. However, at the current price, I think there are more unique and less well-known fragrances that are more worthy of my attention.

UPDATE: The red butterfly is the parfum concentration, and I just got my greedy little hands on it. Let me tell you - this is the one for the over-40 crowd to own. It's a woody gourmand with a manageable level of sweetness and very little fruit or flowers. Although it has the presence of an oriental vanilla on me, vanilla is not a listed note - what a surprise! There's definitely vanilla in here. It does not wear like a fruity floral. Not at all. Quite linear, with a smooth & even presence throughout a very long wear.

I've changed my rating to reflect the parfum version.

NOTES FROM TESTER: wild strawberries, blackberries, blackcurrant, bilberry, Bulgarian rose, ylang-ylang, jasmine, peony, rosewood, almond wood, sandalwood, cedar wood, raspberry wood.
7.0/10

Yummy
At first spray I get warm vanilla and caramel with barely a hint of that burnt sugar note I find in so many gourmand perfumes. There is also a pleasant fruitiness that is a nice contrast to the lush creaminess. I like the drydown even better. It is softer and more sophisticated with nice floral and woody undertones. A very warm scent. Both cozy and alluring. A well done, albeit quite sweet, vanilla/caramel scent.
7.5 7.5 10.0 9.0/10

Gourmand Woods
If the woods always smell this delicious I would run away and live in the forest as a hermit. Hanae Mori is indeed a beautiful composition with a focus on gourmand notes layered on a gorgeous and complicated wood base.

The wood notes hold this fragrance together. The HANAE MORI tester I got lists five different woods: Rosewood, Raspberry Wood, Sandalwood, Almond Wood, and Cedar Wood. This fragrance masterfully brings forward the creamy and cozy character of the woods layered with the berry, floral and vanilla-like notes. The composition definitely works nicely, though it is not shy or subtle. The berry notes in the opening are sweet and lovely (like fruit jams stored in the wooden jars). The floral heart is luscious and bright with strong floral bouquet of jasmine, peony, rose and vanilla layered on woods. The scent has great sillage and longevity. I was still able to smell the woody base 10 hours later. I do have this scent in Eau de Parfum. I haven’t tried EDT, so I cannot say if the longevity is the same.

I love to cuddle with this comfy fragrance on a cold winter night in the log cabin near a fireplace and then take long walks in the woods as vanilla, floral and berry notes dance around me in the cold winter air. What a delight!

by Cincy
by Cincy
by ElenaN
..der unterschätzte Beerentraum von  Bernard Elléna...quasi einer der ersten japanischen Gourmand-Düfte;D
by Lilienfeld