HM (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ
HM (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ for men and was released in 1998. The scent is sweet-citrusy. It is still available to purchase.

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Lavender, Blackcurrant, Spearmint
Heart Notes Heart NotesBulgarian rose, Iris, Jasmine, Lily of the valley
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Moss, Chocolate, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Cedarwood, Sandalwood

Submitted by WiB, last update on 27.02.2021.

Variant of the fragrance concentration

This is a variant of the perfume HM (Eau de Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ, which differs in concentration.

TerredeJonny
I have stumbled - recognition of a fantastic fragrance in three phases
I discovered this fragrance quite a while ago and was pretty excited at first. The great, citrusy-minty-berry top note has done it to me quite. The mixture of lightness and Asian mysticism I have never smelled anywhere else. Somewhere here I read that the fragrance conveys the image of a samurai and I think that fits. Perhaps the image of a humble gentleman samurai, businessman by day and .... moment by night, the story already exists. In a quickly written statement, I described the scent as a berry-chocolate niche version of CK-One and I still think that fits well regarding the top notes.

Then I floundered. The user Schoork (Where have you gone?), which I hold in high esteem, wrote a neat tear-down here. He accused the fragrance after a few minutes to become merely sultry sweet and thus interchangeable and not at all hold so long. I couldn't really relate to the second criticism, but it's true, the beautiful top note is completely displaced at times. The fragrance is actually very chocolaty, from balanced creaminess is there not yet so much to notice.

For a long time, I was not sure whether my enthusiasm for the top note is enough to find this fragrance in its entirety still so good, or whether it is ultimately not yet an interchangeable drugstore fragrance, which impresses only with a beautiful top note. I've often worn it at home as a "feel good" scent. I don't know what it is, but right now I'm inclined to second guess Schoork's judgment. Maybe the bottle contents have matured further, or maybe it's because I've been paying more attention to fragrance development again. In any case, in my opinion, the second, sultry-sweet wave of scent is replaced by a third phase in which mint and berry are again perceptible in a nice, creamy overall composition. And this third phase is actually a super combination of sweet chocolate, creamy vanilla and just a little berry freshness.

Now I am sure of my judgment: the fragrance is super. Who endures the unusual scent progression, will enjoy all phases of the fragrance. Since the scent progression also sets in very quickly, you can even calculate well when you come to the third phase. I personally find the third phase even office compatible.

Anyway, I learned a few things with this fragrance. For one, that Parfumo is really a great place to highlight different facets of a fragrance. For another, I learned to give a fragrance time and attention and to trust my own nose. :-) In this sense, have fun testing!
The versatile one
I don't even know how to begin a description of this fragrance?
He literally cast a spell over me by wearing it several times and never let go. But why?

Hanae Mori, a perfume house unknown to me until now, with drugstore bottles and quite little chic. Especially when unpacking the fragrance shipment, there was little joy, which immediately resulted in a cautious attitude towards the contents. I thought it would be fully synthetic and boring. But for 16 Euro (50ml) you can't go wrong, that's the price of a delivery order (comes quite often, so I can judge that!).

The text, however, should blow my mind...

First impression:

I cannot describe the fragrance in categories, I have the feeling that it combines almost every scent. But you can smell what you have to capture: vanilla, chocolate, tonka bean and, minimally, lemon. The remaining ingredients are hardly to smell out, this is how densely this scent was composed. There is no trace of synthetics at all, it smells almost natural.
Fragrance course:

When spraying it on, the first thing you notice is a surge of lemon and you almost think you're dealing with a summer citrus scent with a slight chocolate note. However, HM becomes increasingly creamy and milky, like a soothing beauty veil with finely composed silage. I would describe it - after the top note - as creamy-sweet-fresh. Whereby the freshness is not freshness in the intended sense, but through the combination of the fragrances the impression it has fresh elements. Sounds complicated, maybe you understand what I mean. It's similar with Kilians Intoxicated, which isn't really fresh either, but it seems fresh. Maybe somebody knows the shower gels that are very creamy at the same time or combine more cream than shower gel. That's the way HM smells. It's complicated to describe it, you'll notice :D However, it remains quite linear and ends up in a nice amber veil.

Shelf life/silage:
High-Level: It lasts 8-9 hours and is clearly perceptible at least half of the time, which has been confirmed again and again by friends and relatives. Even if you think it's gone, it suddenly reappears, simply wonderful
The Lightness of Being
I have rarely experienced a fragrance that envelops you as easily as HM EdT.
I can't really believe it. Can't really get a handle on him.

This fragrance doesn't scream for attention - yet it gets it.
He is not overly masculine - yet masculine... and feminine It starts fresh - ends gourmandig.
He is youthful - yet adult and suitable for office work.
It is a fruity, minty tea infusion - and leaves you with a creamy sweetness.
It's flowery - and spicy earthy.
He is a fragrance - and an aura A statement - with understatement.
He is the lightness of being.

I love it when fragrances are not perceived too penetratingly as perfume. This one merges with the carrier, as it is very untypical in its DNA and therefore not really assignable.

The shelf life is moderate to good with 6 - 7 hours. Skin-near one notices it even longer.

The cap, which is modelled on the handle of a samurai sword, is "unfortunately" made of light plastic. But with the price this is to be seen as moaning on a high level. And there we are already at another key point. I'll go out on a limb, but I'd say that you won't find many better scents in the same category (which one is it actually?) in this price range.

This fragrance is for young and old, male and female, hip or square. It simply always fits!
Rare art
Hanae Mori!?! Never heard of it. Or just at a glance? Must be honest: through Parfumo.de I have once again discovered another pearl. Unfortunately there are not many contributions and statements available yet. And yet: it was enough to order the eau de toilette blind. No sooner said than done!
The postman put the scent in the milk crate last Friday. Full of zest for action to finally sniff the scent I started to unpack the water.
The bottle looks great. The cover resembles a nut. Passes! Because I am still a bit of a hobby wrench on American motorcycles and Amish sleds.

But now to the fragrance (please excuse me if I don't use technical terms): After showering, sprayed directly on the still warm skin, I experienced a very great citric freshness that went up my nose. Not aggressive! No, a very great note! This actually remained for quite a long time in a fine-intense fragrance. In addition a light sweetness was added which did not take overhand. Even the slightly floral notes do not make the fragrance "unmanly".
All these ingredients alternate wonderfully throughout the day. Really very special! The durability is actually relatively good. Lasts about 7-8 hours with me at this time of the year. On the shirt I smell it discreetly the next day. However, one must assume that it may not last as long in summer when it is hot. At least on the skin.

Conclusion:
One of the greatest blind purchases I have made in a long time.
Despite the faint floral notes and little sweet citric, it remains masculine. Because if you want freshness, HM Eau de Toilette is the perfect choice! And: for a fresh fragrance like this, the shelf life is quite tolerable.
If you don't want 0815 fragrance, this is the perfect solution!

Ride on!
Basti87
DNA equal, fresher in execution
For the EdP of HM I wrote a positive review many months ago and rated it with 10. Even today I still like this fragrance very much. It is unique and simply has a unique DNA that clearly stands out from many. Not such a typical scent, where you think you have smelled it somewhere before, of which there are so many on the market. In addition, the brand is very unknown and this fragrance or brand is available almost exclusively in Internet shops. Just a great insider tip. Here at parfumo the EdT & EdP are more known with some owners. By the way, the HiM is also really great. A cinnamon-woody spicy fragrance that completes the clear men's fragrances of this brand. Especially this HM is also very suitable for ladies because of its many sweet notes and flowery accents.

This EdT was actually not on my radar at all, since I already owned the EdP. I rather think less of these EdT,EdP,EdP Intense-blah blah blah. A lot of it is a waste of money, at least if you already have one of these series. Of course, there are often small differences, but I don't jump that much on it. Particularly with clearly higher prices I pay attention then with Flankern to the fact that the smell does not go too much in the direction of the already bought one.
In this case, you can't go wrong. 50ml for just over 20 Euro. The 100ml were unfortunately out of stock after Jeremy had caused a hype again and suggested this scent in a video for scents around 20 Euros. He said in it that the EdP is too sticky-sweet for him and the EdT is much fresher. He's right, in principle. This has screwed the citric much higher and is therefore much fresher. I like both of them very much, although with more freshness, this one is a little bit more suitable for men and could also score in summery temperatures, similar to the Guerlain L'Homme Ideal Cologne.
What I simply like very much about this one is this beautiful sweet citric. Gourmands with freshness are not often found and here everything simply fits together. Balanced, likeable and just not too much. Especially the start with lemon-cassis paired with sweet notes is simply very convincingly different, especially for men.
The EdP is more for the nightlife, as it is extremely strong and sweet with crass performance. The EdT lost a little bit of its freshness, but still moves with very good performance. Due to more freshness, it can be used for several occasions
I can recommend both of them unconditionally. Who likes it fresher should buy this EdT

The Zen scent - so calm and delicious
We are all used to apreciate or value more an EDP than an EDT. Hanae Mori proposes us an EDT and an EDP that are very similar in both scent and performance. Strangely enough, both bottles and prices are also quite similar. The EDT version is a tiny bit more subtle than the EDP version.
The fragrance is quite versatile and it suits women as well. I would judge this fragrance to be more unisex than masculine. It does fit well in mid season - Autumn or Spring, day or night. It has got a wide weather latitude and it's quite safe to use it in Summer nights and Winter days.
I already asked a handfull of people for identic vibes or look alike fragrances. No one gave me any positive answer. There is an Iris middle note that blended with the top lemon and lavender, plus the bottom notes of dark chocolate, amber and cedar, creates some (faint) ressemblance with the current version of Dior Homme, although I don't consider it a dominant vibe. As no one around me shares the my opinion I'll wait for some fellow reviewer to share the same opinion I have.
The fragrance opens with a creamy sweet accord of lemon and black currant with a touch of lavender.
The lavender does persist for the second phase where you notice some flowerish scents - mainly iris - in a semi sweet background (is it the awakening of an early vanilla note?).
The bottom notes are very rich and responsible for the sweet aura around this scent. Vanilla, tonka and chocolate take over and do play the major role during the drydown, supported by sandal, amber and cedar fainter notes.
It does have a nice longevity (8+ hours with 3 sprays), but an average sillage (3~4 feet) and average projection that lasts between 2 and 3 hours. You won't get neither darkness, nor animalic vibes. You'll get a sweet zen lull for long hours that will make you feel good and secure.
It's almost an unisex fragrance and a very sexy fragrance indeed!

Let's see the math of HM for men:
- Scent opening: 8.5 (very very good - my judgement)
- Scent drydown: 8.5 (very very good - my judgement)
- Longevity: 8.0 (8 hours+ with 3 sprays)
- Sillage: 7.0 (about 3 feet for 3 hours with 3 sprays; projects for 2~3 hours); practical skin scent till the 8th or 9th hour.
- Uniqueness: 9.0 (unique, very well blended giving me some vibes of other fragrances like Dior Homme, but similar to none; Hanae Mori EDP is out of this equation)
- Versatility: 9.0 (almost everywhere, but with better choices for clubbing and formal events. Don't use it while working out or in the beach)
- Wearability: 9.5 (high during Spring and Autumn,... quite adequate during Winter or Summer as well, but avoid extreme heat or cold).
- Compliments: 8.0 (It's a universal pleaser, without being a compliment magnet)
- Quality: 9.0 (my judgement - does not suggest even a small vibe of being cheap or synthetic. It does smell expensive; with a little better performance it would deserve a 10.0)
- Presentation: 8.5 (discrete but very nice. Excellent cap and sprayer.)
- Price: 10.0 (100 ml tester for 21 Euros + VAT)

Average: 8.64 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 =above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recomended;
- bigger than 9 = don't miss it;
This is a calm, relaxed, versatile, alluring fragrance. It's almost a don't miss scent". For this price you must have a try!

Japanese Poet
A very original and unique EdT. Sweet, virile flowers with citruses and vanilla.
It starts with a sparkling and sweet candied lemon note, accompanied by a strong ethyl-maltol. Soon lavender, black current and meadow bouquet become the main players. Drydown is made of sweet vanilla and almost gourmand chocolate.
A distinctive cologne. A westernized Japanese soul. More poet than engineer, more haiku than logarithm.

Rating: 7.5/10

BertolucciKBertolucciK 7 months ago
Sweet, floral (iris, rose and jasmine), light, young, citrusy, calming scent. A bit of vanilla and tonka in the base. Suitable for office.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 3 years ago
You won't get neither darkness, nor animalic vibes. You'll get a sweet zen lull for long hours that will make you feel nice and confident.

by Carlitos01
by Bnd007
by Knucklehead
by Knucklehead

Popular Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ

HM (Eau de Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ HiM (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Butterfly / Hanae Mori (1995) (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ HiM (Eau de Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Butterfly / Hanae Mori (1995) (Eau de Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Magical Moon (Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Hanae by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Eau de Collection No. 3 by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Haute Couture (Eau de Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Butterfly / Hanae Mori (1995) (Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Purple Butterfly by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Haute Couture (Parfum) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Haute Couture (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Eau de Collection No. 1 by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Eau de Collection No. 2 by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Hanae Mori / 森英恵 / Mori Hanae (Eau de Cologne) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Magical Moon (Eau de Toilette) by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Hanae Mori Eau Fraiche by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Eau de Collection No. 7 by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ Eau de Collection No. 8 by Hanae Mori / ハナヱ モリ