Esprit du Tigre 2006

Esprit du Tigre by Heeley
Esprit du Tigre is a perfume by Heeley for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-fresh. It is still available to purchase.

James Heeley

CardamomCardamom
Black pepperBlack pepper
Base Notes Base NotesVetiverVetiver
CinnamonCinnamon

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 15.11.2021.

Eye of the tiger
About 10 years ago, I came across this fragrance and it left me an immortal impression. It had a serious medicinal punch of camphor, similar to that of Tiger Balm and other rubbing oils. It immediately teleported me to a Bangkok kickboxing event. Imagine those gladiators all rubbed up in oil, in the mid of a damping hot and packed arena. Yeah, that's how I remember Esprit du Tigre.

With another recent order, I received a new sample. So I just had to give it another try today. It appears the scent has had quite an update. The medicinal character is replaced by a wearable vetiver scent with some rough edges. Camphor and cloves are clearly present and still make it spicy and warm, or even HOT, but nothing in the Tiger Balm area.

Oh well, I am perfectly fine with this revision. I'm on a journey looking forward, rather than being stuck in the past. Current Esprit du Tigre is an okay vetiver scent with a spicy twist. I find the camphor note particularly interesting. I learnt now that it can be brutally medicinal or, in smaller doses, give a subtle edge to woods and greens. Can't wait to explore this camphor effect further.

Too dry and bitter!
When I heard Esprit du Tigre was “medicinal”, I thought I might like it because I *love* other frags that have been described as “medicinal” (Black Vines by Kerosene, and CK One Shock for Him), and I have always liked the smell of Tigers Balm, Vicks Vaporub, Ben Gay, Mentholatum, etc. But this isn’t like those, it’s too dry and bitter. In fact, once I get past that initial blast, it reminds me of Bvlgari Aqva Amara, which means “bitter water”. For some reason, dry frags never seem to perform well on my skin, and this includes Mechant Loup by L’Artisan, which features a wonderful hazelnut note. If you want something bitter, I think Aqva Amara smells better than Esprit du Tigre, although not very original or groundbreaking.

Not my cup of (camphor mint) tea...
I discovered in my queue a small sample of Heeley ESPRIT DU TIGRE (made smaller through evaporation) and decided that I'd give it a whirl before it ceases to exist, having dissipated forever into the vast cosmos.

The composition is fairly simple. I'd call it an aromatic woody, with a strong mint presence. The mint is so strong, in fact, that in undulating wafts I feel that I can taste it. The wood smells more like iso-E-super than vetiver to me. Perhaps that is present, too, but not listed among the notes since it's an aromachemical.

All in all, ESPRIT DU TIGRE is a pleasant wear, but not very exciting, and not something of which I'd really want a full bottle. This would probably work very well for guys looking for a light and refreshing high-quality woody cologne. The spices are not at all heavy, so don't be scared off by the clove, cardamom, and pepper listed among the notes. They are applied quite lightly in this composition, even in my sample, which is now at extrait concentration...

by Amazins
by Amazins
by tIgerknurren
by tIgerknurren

Popular Heeley

Cardinal by Heeley Note de Yuzu by Heeley Sel Marin by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Eau Sacrée by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley L'Amandière (Extrait de Parfum) by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Zeste de Gingembre by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Blanc Poudre by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley Coccobello by Heeley