Figuier / Fig

Figuier / Fig by Heeley
Flacon Design: James Heeley
Where to buy?
Figuier / Fig is a perfume by Heeley for women and men. The release year is unknown. The production was apparently discontinued.

James Heeley

Longevity 7.0/10
Scent 7.5/10
Helpful Review    2 Awards
Figuier
From what I've read, James Heeley is a British designer who also happened to become interested in composing perfumes without any formal education in this area. As his designs tastefully marry up functionalism and minimalism, I expected his scents to be in a similar vein. So far, I've sampled four of Heeley's spring/summer perfumes and am pleased to say they have lived up to (if not exceeded) my expectations. The first one of the lot I'm going to review is “Figuier”.

Before testing Heeley's “Figuier”, I'd never paid close attention to the fig note in fragrances. By that I mean I'd never buy a fragrance just because it smelled of fig. The first perfume I got containing the note was “Un Jardin en Méditerranée” by Hermes. I found its fig fruity, slightly milky and pleasing to the nose. Heeley's fig, nevertheless, is a different story. Instead of reinterpreting only the fruit, he gives the note a more thorough treatment: the fruit, the leaves as well as the bark. As a result, “Figuier” is unmistakeably green and outdoorsy. While the fruity-milky fig tends to bring to mind a lazy summer afternoon spent dozing in a hammock, “Figuier” pulsates with energy. Another thing I enjoy about Heeley's perfume is that the fig does not play second fiddle but is the star of the composition. The supporting roles are allocated to notes like grass, melon, hay and musk.

Luca Turin claims “Figuier” is an epitome of “hyperrealist perfumery”. I can only agree and add that, from my point of view, in this fragrance James Heeley “deromanticises” the fig note. His fig is green, invigorating, natural-smelling and, above all, fun. To put it simply, an absolute joy to wear!
Bottle 7.5/10
Sillage 5.0/10
Longevity 5.0/10
Scent 8.0/10
Figuier / Fig
The fragrance opens with the characteristic green, slightly sweet yet bitter fig note. As the scent develops, the fig note becomes fuller and sweeter, reminding me more of a freshly-plucked fruit. Once that stage has passed, woodsy-herbal notes emerge; in this stage the fragrance reminds me a bit of Figure Amere, only tamer. The dry down smells completely of dried grass. The scent shifts throughout its progression from leafy green to fruity sweet to woody aromatic; the fig note is ever-present but not always the dominant one. To me the nose wanted to take us on a journey through the fig tree as a whole: first the green foliage, then the fruit and lastly the tree trunk. Since this offering is not as milky-bitter, but - due to the grassy and woodsy notes - more green and dry, in my mind this makes the fragrance also suitable for people who usually are not big fig fans. Unfortunately it lasts only three hours on my skin.

Addendum: I believe the framing notes are so well-chosen and universal one could take them to create - by adding another fruit note of course - a new fruit tree experience. I think pear would lend itself beautifully to the supporting notes.
Sillage 7.5/10
Longevity 7.5/10
Scent 6.0/10
2 Awards
A Fig Tree in a Rain Forest
Not too long ago it seemed that every house was coming up with its version of the fig perfume. Oud seems to have replaced fig as the "note du jour", but many fig creations still persist, and Heeley FIGUIER offers a unique take on this note.

The fig is up front and center from the first spritz: both wood and fig leaf, but none of the sweetness of a ripe piece of fruit. I do not know much about the natural habitat of fig trees, but this one seems to have been planted in the middle of a rain forest. Tall trees with large leaves are dripping with water to the point where the branches are bowing down to the ground. The leaves are glossy, and the moisture in the air portends another deluge to come.

Green green, green, and wet, wet, wet! There is a very open quality to this composition. It feels cool, not warm, and far more aromatic than oriental. I generally prefer fig in a woodier, spicier complex, but FIGUIER should appeal to anyone who loves watery green perfumes, provided that they also like fig! Unlike many mainstream watery perfumes, this niche offering smells quite natural.

Popular Heeley

Sel Marin by Heeley Cardinal by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Coccobello by Heeley L'Amandière by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley Esprit du Tigre by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley Bubblegum Chic by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Cèdre Blanc by Heeley Eau Sacrée by Heeley