Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's 2010

Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley
7.1 / 10 127 Ratings
Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's is a perfume by Heeley for women and men and was released in 2010. The scent is citrusy-fresh. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation
Top Notes Top Notes OrangeOrange LemonLemon BergamotBergamot Mandarin orangeMandarin orange
Heart Notes Heart Notes NeroliNeroli PetitgrainPetitgrain Earl Grey teaEarl Grey tea
Base Notes Base Notes Ylang-ylangYlang-ylang VetiverVetiver
Submitted by Hermessenz, last update on 30.09.2022.

3 in-depth fragrance descriptions

A cologne with flashbacks
I can't say that I enjoy every perfume that Heeley releases, but I like how he does his own thing. Modern independent minimalism. 'Oranges and Lemons' is a refreshing cologne done in this typical Heeley way.

The citrus in the opening isn't the most beautiful or natural feeling. In fact, I find it an unpleasant burst of lemon that vaguely reminds me of mosquito repellent candles. Thankfully that sorts itself out in a minute or so. And then it gets interesting.

After that citronella shock, the focus is on the neroli and petitgrain. The flavour is unsweet-floral-citrus and bitter-herbaceous without going old-school or over-the-top masculine. It will stay like this for a good 4-5 hours. I consider that a decent performance for a citrus scent. Sillage is modest.

For me personally the scent triggers numerous associations with summer vacations in my adolescence. Mediterranean beach, resort swimming pool, speedo, inflatable dolphins etcetera. At first I couldn't quite put my finger on why exactly. Until I read a comment about 70's/80's suntan milk. Ah yes, that rings a bell (haha!)

'Oranges and Lemons' does not only refresh and play with the senses, it also triggers emotions and memories. At least in my case it does. So in that sense I find this a rather successful cologne.
Scent of childhood
First impression, but it smells like discount lemons... Probably the next disappointment concerning this brand. But half an hour later I'm in the 80s in an outdoor swimming pool or on Italian beaches, where they only used this sun cream because it smelled so good. Meanwhile the bottle is in the cupboard and has become my absolute favourite. First refreshing, then holiday revival... unfortunately after 4 hours it vanished.

Top Review 12
Greetings to the Glockengasse
I also associate the English children's song "Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clements" with the dystopian novel and film "1984". It would now be quite speculative to consider what the perfumer's intention was in quoting the name and content - there would simply be too much room for interpretation.

But the fact is that St. Clement´s from Heeley is a highly refreshing and
-pleasant cologne with a bright top note, consisting of said orange and lemon. In addition there is a good portion of bergamot and lots and lots of neroli.

This is not only reminiscent of the well-known 4711 from Cologne's Glockengasse, the mother of all colognes, but also reflects this olfactorily with its short shelf life. Just softer, nobler and more modern. The differences are subtle, but crucial. Compared to the original, St. Clement´s comes across with a few subtle nuances of vetiver and less sharpness and has a soft finish.

Otherwise there is not much to say, except for the interesting fact that both Kinderlied and 4711 are from the 18th century. Mister Heeley must have been thinking something about that ...
5.5
Diehippe
4711 similar and then....
...after the first 4711 flash (very unpleasant in the nose) has weakened, the artificially lemony scent gradually disappears. What remains can be summed up in a few words: Anyone who used DELIAL sun milk as a child in the 70s now knows how the fragrance "smells". Even after two hours

Helpful Review 4
Lemons and Laurel Drown Out the Beach
The first impression is an Eau de Parfum version of 4711 or one of the other Eaux de Cologne, but the citrusy notes diffuse with record speed. I can relate to the citrus lovers' laments on the scent's lack of longevity, although I believe they are mistaken, but see below. After trying Pell Wall's hilariously hesperidic "Fruit Wood" earlier today the contrast appears all the starker.

Since I don't belong to the citrus faction I don't care much about the temporary loss of lemony lusciousness and bask in the strong contrast between the laurel-and-lime head notes and the dirty animalic heart instead.

This is the part that really does it for me: with the last whiff of lemon gone musk and ambergris unite over bay leaves to form the perfect scent image of sunscreen on hot skin, bathing attire and parasols, sand and the sea ... a motif I would sooner have expected in Heeley's "Sel Marin", which however is much cleaner if memory serves me right.

After a short while the bathing season is over once, and in the wake of a small storm I'm astonished to detect citrus notes again. I wouldn't call it Earl Grey though, both because I'm not sure its bergamot and because I can't really detect any tea leaves worth their name. Bay leaves are gatherin in strength proportionally and beginning to get on my nerves (ostensibly there is no right translation for Heinrich Boell's prose collection "Der Lorbeer ist immer noch bitter", which loosely translates as "bay leaves will be bitter").

I can't completely fit in all the notes - there is something akin to a grain or rice note and more spices.

In the heart of the perfume I'm tempted to cry out "stay, thou art -"... or at least demand more marine goodness. However, altogether laurel is too prominent for me.

I'm quite thankful to Rose1976 for this refreshing sample (among others)!

3 short views on the fragrance
RisingChaosRisingChaos 5 months ago
A fresh zingy blend of whole oranges and lemons, lying on a bed of soft clean musk with a crisp green backing. Earthy vetiver base.
KingPinKingPin 1 year ago
That certainly is a long title that could quite easily be just “Neroli”.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
Initially uplifting and citric-fruity, a fresh and clean citric-floral Summer fragrance, balanced by a gentle and warm earthy-woody base.

Pie Chart Radar Chart

Images

1 fragrance photo of the community

Popular by Heeley

Cardinal by Heeley Note de Yuzu by Heeley Sel Marin by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Eau Sacrée by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley L'Amandière (Extrait de Parfum) by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Zeste de Gingembre by Heeley Blanc Poudre by Heeley Esprit du Tigre by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley L'Amandière (Eau de Parfum) by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley