Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin by Heeley

Sel Marin is a popular perfume by Heeley for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It is still in production.

James Heeley

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Italian bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIodine, Algae
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Cedar, Birch

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 09.10.2019

9.0 7.0 8.0 9.5/10

Sickscent
If you really love nothing.
Lead, the clouds sway on the horizon. Grey and sluggish, this image is stuck like an endless loop of tides, wordless gestures and dull thoughts. Piled up to monuments of stone, mudflats and screaming seagulls. Dead algae and deep black mud, a fragrance that combines life and death like no other, without causing irritation in a man from the sea.

"Sel Marin" isn't much or great composed. No one for the opera or the big show. Quiet and introverted, James Heeley tells of the white sea foam on a calm sea. The lush green of the salt marshes brings a breath of fresh air to the olfactory death sigh of sea creatures, sand and dead plants. The wind blows melancholy before it. Pushes dark clouds through the monotonous picture out of loneliness, watches stopped at old wrists and bizarre laughing seagulls in nowhere .

Everything is wrong. And it really is. A rusty parasol washed up on the beach reminds us of eternal yesterday. On thickly creamed faces in summer, which may now be a hundred thousand years ago. The laughter of the past when this was my home. Me, in my father's arm. With all the smell of the sea in its dense beard. Glassy eyes, reddened by the wind, looking into nothingness. On the horizon, a ship that may be just an illusion of light, fog and twilight. At the end of a long day by the sea. At the sea of our memories, only in tiny moments real and unexplained. Filled in glass flacons

Less helpful Review
In direct comparison...
To the partly here similarly named note de Yuzu from the same house this stinks something for me. I'm missing the pointed thing that made me so enthusiastic about the Yuzu. Maybe I had too much expectations, but after spraying on I waited for this A-Ha effect. He didn't come for my nose.
Still, he's not bad. But by comparison, I'd prefer the Asian citric sister! :)
7.0 5.0 3.0 8.0/10

Salt on our skin
I have a very special relationship with Sel Marin, the scent accompanied me on our cruise to Spitsbergen.

Sel Marin has nothing typically aquatic about it. The fragrance starts fresh, windy, almost gusty. In the wind there is salt, salt and salt again. And some algae.

Shortly afterwards the wind turns and pepper comes out. More and more. A bitter pepper with a lot of spiciness. Wonderful.

After the pepper phase, which lasts about an hour, the salt comes again, but the algae are softer than at the beginning. So style Wadden Sea at Mont Saint Michel when one walks over the salted fields. And so Sel Marin remains to fade after about 3-4 hours then.

A beautiful fragrance that carries a lot of holiday in it, a symphony of salt, pepper and I already said salt?

Thanks for reading!
7.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

A day at the sea
With an order of some fillings as generous addition 5 samples were contained, of it 3 of the mark Heeley. Didn't say much to me before, but seems to have a good standing here, especially this fragrance. All 3 weren't really my thing, even though there was no complete dislike. Now with a second test in absolutely summery weather I must upgrade this smell and say: He has something! I am anyway a very big aquatic fan, especially in summer during the day my 1st choice. Summer, sun and sea, for me it just belongs together. Since I'm very close to water as a young boy anyway, that fits. I have already tested many aquatics, but not yet in the niche area.

The bottle is simple and pretty. Matching an anchor pictured, looks nice. Slightly more expensive in price, but considers itself a niche fragrance with about 120-130 euros but within limits.
At the first test, it was a solid fragrance for me, but it also took getting used to. What to say about this scent: It is not a smooth type of scent, but rather an authentic scent with corners and edges. Not everyone will like it, even if he does extremely well here with 7.9.
Sprayed yesterday in very nice weather. Relaxing in the sun. What he scores most for me with: With his individuality. This DNA is simply very unique and it is not felt one of many.
It's a fragrance with no great gradient. Lemon and bergamot serve here rather beautifully as freshness supplier, without standing too much in the center. The star of this fragrance is clearly an authentic aquatic. This aquatic has above all sea salt and herb-algae notes. In addition there is moss, which blends in well with the algae. What you have to like here, though: A strong salty-aquatic note. I like that very much, just because it is very unique in the dose.
From the aquatics an authentic scent. Like many others here I see it similar: More like Baltic Sea instead of Caribbean light blue sea. I like these symapthic corners and edges. Reminds me of a day by the sea. Baltic or North Sea, bright sunshine, a walk along the promenade with strong sea breezes and a magnificent view of the sea. Great thoughts come to mind.
Performance is also quite good. Latability is so lala, even if for aquatics really okay. The Sillage is also pleasant. There's a breeze in the nose more than once.

It's definitely worth a test. Especially for aquatics fans. This year I'm not going to buy it, but could definitely one day wander into my rally.

Supplement 2019: As announced I have postponed the purchase to possibly another year. Now he's standing here. Great packaging and beautiful bottle, simple but stylish. For me as an aquatics fan simply an enrichment and since my sample was almost empty, I ordered it in 100ml. Not even eel-slick at all and possibly not far up in terms of compliments, but very authentic in terms of aquatics and triggers a summer feeling in me. Especially for relaxing hours in the sun an enrichment for me. If you like the authentic smell of the sea, you should test it

Transparent, cool, contemporary.
I know Sel Marin. I've had it since around the time that it was launched and I'm on my second bottle. Sel Marin smells fresh. It smells simple. It smells great. It smells like you have just been hit in the face by seaspray.

You know, I have seen several comments about Sel Marin smelling "fishy". I can honestly say that I have no idea what people are talking about. Maybe some other people's noses can detect something that I can't detect? But in this case, well I'm not sure about that. Here is the thing.......Sel Marin is an airy accord of Lemon, Bergamot, Cedar, Birch and the lightest Vetiver, with salty nuances. It smells fresh and ozonic. The published notes do list "Algae" and I don't know whether some people interpret that as fishy, but it is not to me. Sel Marin is actually a light and unusual accord of citrus and wood.

The style of Sel Marin is really important in describing it's character. It is contemporary, and spare. The structure of Sel Marin is very "clean". It is sheer and light and airy. Another matter you may have heard debated is the longevity. No, it's not great but Sel Marin wouldn't be what it is if it were heavily grounded. The whole joy of it is that initial whoosh of fresh sea air. Apply generously and often, and enjoy!
5.0 7.5 5.0 4.0/10

Pure Synthetic .
I tried this recently, I might try this again, to give it one more chance, but for the most part, all that I picked up, was an extremely synthetic smell . No notes . Just a chemical aquatic scent .
2.5 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Oyster breath...
So strange how something so beautiful can turn into something so ugly.

It was lemony and green and fresh and clean, but it only lasted like this for an hour. Then something smelly started coming on and it took me the longest time to put my finger (my nose) on what it was. Have you ever gotten close enough to someone's mouth and got the whiff of oyster breath? I don't know if they had been eating them or not but that's exactly what they smell like. This perfume doesn't smell like oysters as much as it smells like oyster breath. It stays like this for at least four hours. Of course the dry down smells nothing like oysters, it's quite pleasant.

Thank God the projection was low. Longevity lasted at least ten hours.

A day at the beach
I experience Sel Marin as a day spent at the beach. It’s artfully representational and naturalistic so it really does put you in the mind of being oceanside. However, this is a sheer, idealized watercolor depiction so don’t expect photorealistic, ocean view accords.

The morning begins with a fresh, lemon top note that is nicely tempered and burnished by a light, saline onshore breeze. There are few lemon top notes I get excited about, but this particular lemon essence combined with the slight saltiness is intoxicating.

As the lemon fades (although it never completely disappears) the bergamot note becomes more prominent giving the the impression of the day becoming warmer. By midday the heat settles in and you smell a brinier, marine life essence from the ocean of Sel Marin. But not to worry, this is not at all an unpleasant, fishy odor. It’s just the sweet, salty aura of the ocean reminding you of the life that exists beneath the waves.

But my favorite time of day on this stretch of beach is evening. The breeze has shifted offshore so you start catching notes of vetiver and cedar which are reminiscent of seagrass and driftwood. The birch note airs out some of the saltiness and you begin to have a sense of the woods just beyond the beach. These slightly darker accords also give you a sense of the setting sun.

On a pragmatic note, I’ve been trying Sel Marin over two cold, dry January days so the longevity and projection are, I believe, severely curtailed. I have a feeling that in the heat and humidity of midsummer Sel Marin will really blossom.

Sunbathing merpeople
Sel Marin has a very fresh and leafy beginning, slightly fruity/aquatic, with Bergamot and its silvery dazzle, and some green leaves (beech?) that wont last more than a few minutes.

The fragance immediately transports us to the seashore. Sel Marin starts as a citrusy cologne with a very defined naturalistic sea personality... I was reluctant to believe, but the sea smell is there. Lemon brightness is kind of dominant over the warm noticeable saltiness. An invigorating morning stroll in the harbour . This salt scent is fishy, seafoody to my nose. But fishes smell to sea... so, please, dont think of the stink of a fishmonger´s, those are rottening corpses... The iodized smell is prettified with a sunny citrus note and lichen green accents, but just to enhance, not to cover the oozing sea urchins, shells and starfishes.

The citrus fades away and SPLASH! the melon fruitiness i noticed at the very beginning returns, with a vigor that the first part of the fragance (warm salt and citrus) didnt have. Is amazing how it comes to live on my skin, and im not in the harbour anymore, because that strangely pale strolling lady with an umbrella turned out to be a mermaid: she took my hand and dragged me under the sea. It is now a classic "marine" note but mixed with Fucus seaweed. So yes, uou have here the maligned calone that everybody seem to hate, but is just a supporter to the genuine seawater scent that gives a notion of "liquid" to the fucus.

As we loose the aquatic note, the fragances dries down into a salty woody scent, with a clean vetiver. The "wetness" is still there, sometimes is seawater, often the bank of a river. Ambergris is not listed, but Sel Marin is savoury-aquaeous-woody at this stage as it had it. A souvenir of the underwater love, left by the tide.

Once the sea spell is lifted, the cedar and vetiver persist.

It is a subtle,comfortable, close to the skin fragance, strange and original but always in the realms of the wearable.

Verbena 74 days ago
Sprays of salty mist dashing against the pier. A dogger crawling through the bay, haunted by greedy seagulls. Seaweed rocking on the waves.+1
5.0
Mathieuq613 4 years ago
***IF You Want a True Summer Sea Salt Scent This Is the 1 But Its Not For Every 1!!!!! I enjoye it when i go to the beach,in a hot summer!+2
10.0

by Mustang69
...und auch gut angelegt...
by Addicta
by Rajudaph
by Beftus
by Beftus

Popular Heeley

Sel Marin by Heeley Cardinal by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Note de Yuzu by Heeley Coccobello by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley L'Amandière by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Esprit du Tigre by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley Bubblegum Chic by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Blanc Poudre by Heeley