Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin by Heeley

Sel Marin is a popular perfume by Heeley for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It is still in production.

James Heeley

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Italian bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIodine, Algae
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Cedar, Birch

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 06.07.2019

8.0 3.0 4.0 3.5/10

Very helpful Review
Is sea salt cleaned, and if so, what is special about it?
The seagulls float and facilitate themselves in the flight. Then there are the homeopaths, whose frivolous assertion is that the sea contains everything good: it is the reservoir of all exponentiations, vulgo dilutions, that have ever taken place on this earth. It remains inexplicable how the so-called "information" could be washed out of the water again.

White - cloudy waxy woolly. With Sel Marine I lack a crystalline clarity, which it nevertheless wants to instill. What's clear is the lack of something else, Kante doesn't have one. No structure, more a flow. Only tenderly, without voice herbaceous, woody, very far away musty aspects become noticeable. And I can't get rid of the impression that this pallor is due to the imbalance that the whole thing still has. Just as in whispering the voice is changed to unrecognizability, so here the parts have an effect on me. The miracle takes place only because it remains imperceptible.

Table salt doesn't smell. If it is, it's dirty. The perfumer obviously wanted something in between. What he gets is the skin that smells salty, which it would do without. The rest is chemistry galore. At the latest with the recognition of the all too usual scaffolding materials I lack the desire to fantasize about the spectacular name.

Serious alternatives are Cool Water, S-Perfume, Ocean Rain, and logically others. Perfume should not want to imitate what already exists in real! That always goes wrong. q.e.d.

Less helpful Review
In direct comparison...
To the partly here similarly named note de Yuzu from the same house this stinks something for me. I'm missing the pointed thing that made me so enthusiastic about the Yuzu. Maybe I had too much expectations, but after spraying on I waited for this A-Ha effect. He didn't come for my nose.
Still, he's not bad. But by comparison, I'd prefer the Asian citric sister! :)
7.0 5.0 3.0 8.0/10

Salt on our skin
I have a very special relationship with Sel Marin, the scent accompanied me on our cruise to Spitsbergen.

Sel Marin has nothing typically aquatic about it. The fragrance starts fresh, windy, almost gusty. In the wind there is salt, salt and salt again. And some algae.

Shortly afterwards the wind turns and pepper comes out. More and more. A bitter pepper with a lot of spiciness. Wonderful.

After the pepper phase, which lasts about an hour, the salt comes again, but the algae are softer than at the beginning. So style Wadden Sea at Mont Saint Michel when one walks over the salted fields. And so Sel Marin remains to fade after about 3-4 hours then.

A beautiful fragrance that carries a lot of holiday in it, a symphony of salt, pepper and I already said salt?

Thanks for reading!
7.0 7.0 7.0 10.0/10

A day at the sea
With an order of some fillings as generous addition 5 samples were contained, of it 3 of the mark Heeley. Didn't say much to me before, but seems to have a good standing here, especially this fragrance. All 3 weren't really my thing, even though there was no complete dislike. Now with a second test in absolutely summery weather I must upgrade this smell and say: He has something! I am anyway a very big aquatic fan, especially in summer during the day my 1st choice. Summer, sun and sea, for me it just belongs together. Since I'm very close to water as a young boy anyway, that fits. I have already tested many aquatics, but not yet in the niche area.

The bottle is simple and pretty. Matching an anchor pictured, looks nice. Slightly more expensive in price, but considers itself a niche fragrance with about 120-130 euros but within limits.
At the first test, it was a solid fragrance for me, but it also took getting used to. What to say about this scent: It is not a smooth type of scent, but rather an authentic scent with corners and edges. Not everyone will like it, even if he does extremely well here with 7.9.
Sprayed yesterday in very nice weather. Relaxing in the sun. What he scores most for me with: With his individuality. This DNA is simply very unique and it is not felt one of many.
It's a fragrance with no great gradient. Lemon and bergamot serve here rather beautifully as freshness supplier, without standing too much in the center. The star of this fragrance is clearly an authentic aquatic. This aquatic has above all sea salt and herb-algae notes. In addition there is moss, which blends in well with the algae. What you have to like here, though: A strong salty-aquatic note. I like that very much, just because it is very unique in the dose.
From the aquatics an authentic scent. Like many others here I see it similar: More like Baltic Sea instead of Caribbean light blue sea. I like these symapthic corners and edges. Reminds me of a day by the sea. Baltic or North Sea, bright sunshine, a walk along the promenade with strong sea breezes and a magnificent view of the sea. Great thoughts come to mind.
Performance is also quite good. Latability is so lala, even if for aquatics really okay. The Sillage is also pleasant. There's a breeze in the nose more than once.

It's definitely worth a test. Especially for aquatics fans. This year I'm not going to buy it, but could definitely one day wander into my rally.

Supplement 2019: As announced I have postponed the purchase to possibly another year. Now he's standing here. Great packaging and beautiful bottle, simple but stylish. For me as an aquatics fan simply an enrichment and since my sample was almost empty, I ordered it in 100ml. Not even eel-slick at all and possibly not far up in terms of compliments, but very authentic in terms of aquatics and triggers a summer feeling in me. Especially for relaxing hours in the sun an enrichment for me. If you like the authentic smell of the sea, you should test it

Transparent, cool, contemporary.
I know Sel Marin. I've had it since around the time that it was launched and I'm on my second bottle. Sel Marin smells fresh. It smells simple. It smells great. It smells like you have just been hit in the face by seaspray.

You know, I have seen several comments about Sel Marin smelling "fishy". I can honestly say that I have no idea what people are talking about. Maybe some other people's noses can detect something that I can't detect? But in this case, well I'm not sure about that. Here is the thing.......Sel Marin is an airy accord of Lemon, Bergamot, Cedar, Birch and the lightest Vetiver, with salty nuances. It smells fresh and ozonic. The published notes do list "Algae" and I don't know whether some people interpret that as fishy, but it is not to me. Sel Marin is actually a light and unusual accord of citrus and wood.

The style of Sel Marin is really important in describing it's character. It is contemporary, and spare. The structure of Sel Marin is very "clean". It is sheer and light and airy. Another matter you may have heard debated is the longevity. No, it's not great but Sel Marin wouldn't be what it is if it were heavily grounded. The whole joy of it is that initial whoosh of fresh sea air. Apply generously and often, and enjoy!
5.0 7.5 5.0 4.0/10

Pure Synthetic .
I tried this recently, I might try this again, to give it one more chance, but for the most part, all that I picked up, was an extremely synthetic smell . No notes . Just a chemical aquatic scent .
2.5 7.5 7.5 4.0/10

Oyster breath...
So strange how something so beautiful can turn into something so ugly.

It was lemony and green and fresh and clean, but it only lasted like this for an hour. Then something smelly started coming on and it took me the longest time to put my finger (my nose) on what it was. Have you ever gotten close enough to someone's mouth and got the whiff of oyster breath? I don't know if they had been eating them or not but that's exactly what they smell like. This perfume doesn't smell like oysters as much as it smells like oyster breath. It stays like this for at least four hours. Of course the dry down smells nothing like oysters, it's quite pleasant.

Thank God the projection was low. Longevity lasted at least ten hours.

A day at the beach
I experience Sel Marin as a day spent at the beach. It’s artfully representational and naturalistic so it really does put you in the mind of being oceanside. However, this is a sheer, idealized watercolor depiction so don’t expect photorealistic, ocean view accords.

The morning begins with a fresh, lemon top note that is nicely tempered and burnished by a light, saline onshore breeze. There are few lemon top notes I get excited about, but this particular lemon essence combined with the slight saltiness is intoxicating.

As the lemon fades (although it never completely disappears) the bergamot note becomes more prominent giving the the impression of the day becoming warmer. By midday the heat settles in and you smell a brinier, marine life essence from the ocean of Sel Marin. But not to worry, this is not at all an unpleasant, fishy odor. It’s just the sweet, salty aura of the ocean reminding you of the life that exists beneath the waves.

But my favorite time of day on this stretch of beach is evening. The breeze has shifted offshore so you start catching notes of vetiver and cedar which are reminiscent of seagrass and driftwood. The birch note airs out some of the saltiness and you begin to have a sense of the woods just beyond the beach. These slightly darker accords also give you a sense of the setting sun.

On a pragmatic note, I’ve been trying Sel Marin over two cold, dry January days so the longevity and projection are, I believe, severely curtailed. I have a feeling that in the heat and humidity of midsummer Sel Marin will really blossom.

Sunbathing merpeople
Sel Marin has a very fresh and leafy beginning, slightly fruity/aquatic, with Bergamot and its silvery dazzle, and some green leaves (beech?) that wont last more than a few minutes.

The fragance immediately transports us to the seashore. Sel Marin starts as a citrusy cologne with a very defined naturalistic sea personality... I was reluctant to believe, but the sea smell is there. Lemon brightness is kind of dominant over the warm noticeable saltiness. An invigorating morning stroll in the harbour . This salt scent is fishy, seafoody to my nose. But fishes smell to sea... so, please, dont think of the stink of a fishmonger´s, those are rottening corpses... The iodized smell is prettified with a sunny citrus note and lichen green accents, but just to enhance, not to cover the oozing sea urchins, shells and starfishes.

The citrus fades away and SPLASH! the melon fruitiness i noticed at the very beginning returns, with a vigor that the first part of the fragance (warm salt and citrus) didnt have. Is amazing how it comes to live on my skin, and im not in the harbour anymore, because that strangely pale strolling lady with an umbrella turned out to be a mermaid: she took my hand and dragged me under the sea. It is now a classic "marine" note but mixed with Fucus seaweed. So yes, uou have here the maligned calone that everybody seem to hate, but is just a supporter to the genuine seawater scent that gives a notion of "liquid" to the fucus.

As we loose the aquatic note, the fragances dries down into a salty woody scent, with a clean vetiver. The "wetness" is still there, sometimes is seawater, often the bank of a river. Ambergris is not listed, but Sel Marin is savoury-aquaeous-woody at this stage as it had it. A souvenir of the underwater love, left by the tide.

Once the sea spell is lifted, the cedar and vetiver persist.

It is a subtle,comfortable, close to the skin fragance, strange and original but always in the realms of the wearable.

Mathieuq613 4 years ago
***IF You Want a True Summer Sea Salt Scent This Is the 1 But Its Not For Every 1!!!!! I enjoye it when i go to the beach,in a hot summer!+1
10.0

by BlancPoudre
by BlancPoudre
by Mustang69
...und auch gut angelegt...
by Addicta
by Turandot
by Beftus
by Beftus

Popular Heeley

Sel Marin by Heeley Cardinal by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Coccobello by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Note de Yuzu by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley L'Amandière by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Esprit du Tigre by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley Bubblegum Chic by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Eau Sacrée by Heeley