Sel Marin (2008)

Sel Marin by Heeley

Sel Marin is a popular perfume by Heeley for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is aquatic-fresh. It is still in production.

James Heeley

Top Notes Top NotesLemon, Italian bergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesIodine, Algae
Base Notes Base NotesVetiver, Cedar, Birch

Submitted by Andi136, last update on 06.08.2020.

Sea dreams
This is my first review of anything from the house of Heeley, although I have tried quite a few and remained indifferent to them. I expected probably more of the same with this one and i was curious about what I'd read...thank you for watching

Finding Nemo
Sel Marin starts with citrus fruits, nice and refreshing. A touch of lemon peel could also be part of it, because I can detect a slightly tart note. Not sensational, or even new and never been there before, but very nice to wear in the warmer season.

After the citrus chords have faded away, I find myself by the sea. I feel sun on my skin and sand under my feet. Seagulls are screaming, loud and clear. Sel Marin has catapulted me to the North Sea, but I cannot explain why. It's just the way it is. Period. Consciously I don't smell salt either, but the association to the North Sea is just there
Little by little, woody notes and a hint of leather join in. When smelling and sucking in very exactly I notice a weak, really only minimal fishy note. It must be Nemo and Dory, hiding deep down at the bottom of the sea. Sel Marin doesn't remind me of a herring cutter, the fish section in the supermarket or even spoiled fish. Definitely not! I swear!
For me, Sel Marin is an unagitated, wonderful feel-good fragrance that conjures up a holiday feeling in my everyday life. So far I only have one bottling, but as soon as I have emptied it, I will (have to) buy Sel Marin. The fragrance is simply so beautiful and with a shelf life of about 10 to 12 hours, it is not a fleeting pleasure.

I don't know if Sel Marin has been reworked or if there are also different batches of this fragrance, but the sample I have is older than the bottling from a sharing and there I perceive the "fishy" algae note more clearly, even if it is never in the foreground.

Smellavision
Wow, this is really nice...
A new take on the traditional summer fresh scents á la Versace and Calvin Klein, but qualitywise in an entirely different league. Instead of opening with a huge blast of citrus, the citrus note (lemon and bergamot, I believe) is detectable but only discretely hidden in the airy mix of salty sea breeze, followed by vetiver with cucumber (and hints of cedar or birch) that also sneaks into the backdrop of the seaside overview - which is mercifully without the usual calone backdrop.

Over time the entire thing develops into this great aquatic/marine scent. What I noticed most of all, is that this gem smells so darn... natural somehow. It's hard to explain. The only other really summerlike scent I can think of that differentiates from other aquatics and citrus colognes like this is Creeds SMW, not that the scents are alike but they're both summery and something very different from the usual other citrus and aquatic blends.

Sillage is average, but longevity is exceptional - I'm talking 10-12 hours here, which is rather incredible for an aquatic. My only complaint would be the pricing, as $130 for a FB would be too much for some people to invest, but if you see it for a price that you find reasonable, go grab it! Overall probably the best aquatic I've tried.
In direct comparison...
To the partly here similarly named note de Yuzu from the same house this stinks something for me. I'm missing the pointed thing that made me so enthusiastic about the Yuzu. Maybe I had too much expectations, but after spraying on I waited for this A-Ha effect. He didn't come for my nose.
Still, he's not bad. But by comparison, I'd prefer the Asian citric sister! :)
Salt on our skin
I have a very special relationship with Sel Marin, the scent accompanied me on our cruise to Spitsbergen.

Sel Marin has nothing typically aquatic about it. The fragrance starts fresh, windy, almost gusty. In the wind there is salt, salt and salt again. And some algae.

Shortly afterwards the wind turns and pepper comes out. More and more. A bitter pepper with a lot of spiciness. Wonderful.

After the pepper phase, which lasts about an hour, the salt comes again, but the algae are softer than at the beginning. So style Wadden Sea at Mont Saint Michel when one walks over the salted fields. And so Sel Marin remains to fade after about 3-4 hours then.

A beautiful fragrance that carries a lot of holiday in it, a symphony of salt, pepper and I already said salt?

Thanks for reading!
A day at the sea
With an order of some fillings as generous addition 5 samples were contained, of it 3 of the mark Heeley. Didn't say much to me before, but seems to have a good standing here, especially this fragrance. All 3 weren't really my thing, even though there was no complete dislike. Now with a second test in absolutely summery weather I must upgrade this smell and say: He has something! I am anyway a very big aquatic fan, especially in summer during the day my 1st choice. Summer, sun and sea, for me it just belongs together. Since I'm very close to water as a young boy anyway, that fits. I have already tested many aquatics, but not yet in the niche area.

The bottle is simple and pretty. Matching an anchor pictured, looks nice. Slightly more expensive in price, but considers itself a niche fragrance with about 120-130 euros but within limits.
At the first test, it was a solid fragrance for me, but it also took getting used to. What to say about this scent: It is not a smooth type of scent, but rather an authentic scent with corners and edges. Not everyone will like it, even if he does extremely well here with 7.9.
Sprayed yesterday in very nice weather. Relaxing in the sun. What he scores most for me with: With his individuality. This DNA is simply very unique and it is not felt one of many.
It's a fragrance with no great gradient. Lemon and bergamot serve here rather beautifully as freshness supplier, without standing too much in the center. The star of this fragrance is clearly an authentic aquatic. This aquatic has above all sea salt and herb-algae notes. In addition there is moss, which blends in well with the algae. What you have to like here, though: A strong salty-aquatic note. I like that very much, just because it is very unique in the dose.
From the aquatics an authentic scent. Like many others here I see it similar: More like Baltic Sea instead of Caribbean light blue sea. I like these symapthic corners and edges. Reminds me of a day by the sea. Baltic or North Sea, bright sunshine, a walk along the promenade with strong sea breezes and a magnificent view of the sea. Great thoughts come to mind.
Performance is also quite good. Latability is so lala, even if for aquatics really okay. The Sillage is also pleasant. There's a breeze in the nose more than once.

It's definitely worth a test. Especially for aquatics fans. This year I'm not going to buy it, but could definitely one day wander into my rally.

Supplement 2019: As announced I have postponed the purchase to possibly another year. Now he's standing here. Great packaging and beautiful bottle, simple but stylish. For me as an aquatics fan simply an enrichment and since my sample was almost empty, I ordered it in 100ml. Not even eel-slick at all and possibly not far up in terms of compliments, but very authentic in terms of aquatics and triggers a summer feeling in me. Especially for relaxing hours in the sun an enrichment for me. If you like the authentic smell of the sea, you should test it

Transparent, cool, contemporary.
I know Sel Marin. I've had it since around the time that it was launched and I'm on my second bottle. Sel Marin smells fresh. It smells simple. It smells great. It smells like you have just been hit in the face by seaspray.

You know, I have seen several comments about Sel Marin smelling "fishy". I can honestly say that I have no idea what people are talking about. Maybe some other people's noses can detect something that I can't detect? But in this case, well I'm not sure about that. Here is the thing.......Sel Marin is an airy accord of Lemon, Bergamot, Cedar, Birch and the lightest Vetiver, with salty nuances. It smells fresh and ozonic. The published notes do list "Algae" and I don't know whether some people interpret that as fishy, but it is not to me. Sel Marin is actually a light and unusual accord of citrus and wood.

The style of Sel Marin is really important in describing it's character. It is contemporary, and spare. The structure of Sel Marin is very "clean". It is sheer and light and airy. Another matter you may have heard debated is the longevity. No, it's not great but Sel Marin wouldn't be what it is if it were heavily grounded. The whole joy of it is that initial whoosh of fresh sea air. Apply generously and often, and enjoy!

Pure Synthetic .
I tried this recently, I might try this again, to give it one more chance, but for the most part, all that I picked up, was an extremely synthetic smell . No notes . Just a chemical aquatic scent .
2.5

Oyster breath...
So strange how something so beautiful can turn into something so ugly.

It was lemony and green and fresh and clean, but it only lasted like this for an hour. Then something smelly started coming on and it took me the longest time to put my finger (my nose) on what it was. Have you ever gotten close enough to someone's mouth and got the whiff of oyster breath? I don't know if they had been eating them or not but that's exactly what they smell like. This perfume doesn't smell like oysters as much as it smells like oyster breath. It stays like this for at least four hours. Of course the dry down smells nothing like oysters, it's quite pleasant.

Thank God the projection was low. Longevity lasted at least ten hours.

A day at the beach
I experience Sel Marin as a day spent at the beach. It’s artfully representational and naturalistic so it really does put you in the mind of being oceanside. However, this is a sheer, idealized watercolor depiction so don’t expect photorealistic, ocean view accords.

The morning begins with a fresh, lemon top note that is nicely tempered and burnished by a light, saline onshore breeze. There are few lemon top notes I get excited about, but this particular lemon essence combined with the slight saltiness is intoxicating.

As the lemon fades (although it never completely disappears) the bergamot note becomes more prominent giving the the impression of the day becoming warmer. By midday the heat settles in and you smell a brinier, marine life essence from the ocean of Sel Marin. But not to worry, this is not at all an unpleasant, fishy odor. It’s just the sweet, salty aura of the ocean reminding you of the life that exists beneath the waves.

But my favorite time of day on this stretch of beach is evening. The breeze has shifted offshore so you start catching notes of vetiver and cedar which are reminiscent of seagrass and driftwood. The birch note airs out some of the saltiness and you begin to have a sense of the woods just beyond the beach. These slightly darker accords also give you a sense of the setting sun.

On a pragmatic note, I’ve been trying Sel Marin over two cold, dry January days so the longevity and projection are, I believe, severely curtailed. I have a feeling that in the heat and humidity of midsummer Sel Marin will really blossom.

VerbenaVerbena 12 months ago
Sprays of salty mist dashing against the pier. A dogger crawling through the bay, haunted by greedy seagulls. Seaweed rocking on the waves.
Mathieuq613Mathieuq613 5 years ago
***IF You Want a True Summer Sea Salt Scent This Is the 1 But Its Not For Every 1!!!!! I enjoye it when i go to the beach,in a hot summer!

by OvidiuH
...und auch gut angelegt...
by gamma
by Rajudaph
by Beftus
by Beftus

Popular Heeley

Note de Yuzu by Heeley Cardinal by Heeley Vetiver Veritas by Heeley Phoenicia by Heeley Chypre 21 by Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur by Heeley L'Amandière (Extrait de Parfum) by Heeley Eau Sacrée by Heeley Menthe Fraîche by Heeley Iris de Nuit by Heeley Hippie Rose by Heeley Verveine d'Eugène by Heeley Agarwoud by Heeley Blanc Poudre by Heeley Zeste de Gingembre by Heeley Esprit du Tigre by Heeley Ophélia by Heeley Figuier / Fig by Heeley Oranges and Lemons, say the Bells of St. Clement's by Heeley Coccobello by Heeley