Helmut Lang - Eau de Cologne (2000)

Helmut Lang - Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang
Bottle Design: Lutz Herrmann
Helmut Lang - Eau de Cologne is a popular perfume by Helmut Lang for men and was released in 2000. The scent is floral-fresh. The production was apparently discontinued.

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Rosemary
Heart Notes Heart NotesHeliotrope, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Rose
Base Notes Base NotesMusk, Patchouli, Sandalwood, Cedar

Submitted by Seglein, last update on 13.07.2018

Bottle 2.5/10 Sillage 2.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Herbal, Spicy and a Little Dirty
This cologne is discontinued which is how I found myself justifying purchasing 3 bottles recently...I'll admit to hoarding if everyone else will admit that hoarding discontinued classic fragrances is actually a service to Humankind. I'll wait...
Meanwhile, Helmut Lang is a very wearable easy to love translucent, but not weak Men's cologne that could work on a woman as well, although in my case it starts to smell dirty and sweaty almost immediately and I feel uncomfortable in it, due to my own unique body chemistry. It reminds me of a French professor I had in college who was highly trained, rigid and pompous in his presentation and very clearly fluent in the language, however typically failed to shower, check his nose for extraneous materials and trim his moustache before lectures...I was unable to focus on anything other than hoping and praying that his bodily fluids and the rancid sour aroma from his unlaundered tweed jacket would not transfer onto me during his ranting exuberant monologues on proper French verb conjugation. Or maybe,it's my aversion to patchouli...whatever.

On top is a lovely natural Rosemary, which I personally feel is under utilized into todays fragrances. Than I catch Lily-of-the-Valley and dry somber rose, not audacious and in bloom. I try to imagine being a man when wearing this, because although I feel it is truly unisex...I feel it was designed for a Man of distinction as a unique signature scent. The dry down really lets that patchouli run free and tangos with a watery cedar note that is now old hat but was innovative back in the mid-90s. Ultimately this settles into a dry powdery smooth subtle cologne that will leave only a faint trace of a signature on the clothes of the wearer. I couldn't get my DH excited about this one- he will stick with my bottle of Serge Luten's Five O'clock aux Gingembre. Off to the market it will go, but I am glad I had the chance to fully experience a now extinct classic Men's Cologne. If you like Karl Lagerfield or some of the older light classic herbal spicy men's colognes hunt this one down. You will find this and usually simple yet uncommon herbal balm with soft sillage but long lasting and actually very good, provided your grooming and attention to personal hygiene outmatch my French Professor's.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 5.0/10
Couldn't Get Past The Powder...
Helmut Lang edc opens with a combination of floral lavender and powdery heliotrope which remains throughout. The floral aspects couple with a very light and easy to wear musk that is not really animalic at all. Hints of jasmine, patchouli and sandalwood in the base add just a very small amount of sweetness to the scent. Projection is average and longevity is above average (and quite long for an edc).

Helmut Lang edc's scent immediately reminds me of a cross between baby powder and Johnson's baby oil. This is not really a bad smell, but the very fresh powdery/oily nature while eminently wearable is quite linear and more than a bit of a letdown for me after experiencing the great heights of the suede leather king Cuiron from the same brand. I feel Helmut Lang edc is certainly inoffensive enough for just about anyone to wear (and very unisex), but if I want to smell like baby powder or baby oil they can both be acquired for far less cost than the relatively lofty prices Helmut Lang edc is going for on eBay nowadays due to its discontinuance. I can't really give this a thumbs down as it is pleasant enough, but I definitely do not recommend a buy and it is not my cup of tea at all. I give Helmut Lang edc a very average 2.5 stars out of 5 for the scent, but much lower on the value scale.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Pre 9/11 Coolness
Helmut Lang's Cologne from 2001 was only available for a few years. It's a shame, because it is a very decent perfume. The pyramid shows us a herbaceous start, but I do not get much of the announced lavender. There is a discreet floral heart, and a dominating patchouli and musk basenote.

Two things are special: The abstinence from any citric notes and the blend of the florals. I'd say that Heliotrope and Lily-of-the-valley might dominate it, not rose and jasmine. However, they are discreet enough to go into a gent's fragrance. Unlike the name might indicate, Helmut Lang's Cologne is not an Eau de Cologne, it has at least Eau de Toilette strength.

Despite woods and patchouli, this perfume gives me an impression of lightness and brightness. It is quite cool, urban and elegant, and a good office wear. I'd say it very well fits into that era at the start of the Millennium, with its optimism, its new market and internet euphoria.

The downfall of the so called new market and - of course – 9/11 had strong impact on peoples life. The change came overnight, and fashion changed quickly. Optimism was gone, and so were pastel colours and puristic coolness. People started what we since then call cocooning. Romanticism was the new style, not urbanity. Men even started wearing frill shirts. And some terrific new perfume releases weren't fitting in any longer – such as Gucci's Rush for Men and Helmut Lang's Cologne. With their puristic and modern appeal, I guess they became shelf warmers.

I have never worn this pale patchouli fragrance very often, but I always liked it. Today, others have picked up the idea of light, musky patchouli fragrances, i.e. the slightly more opulent N° 203 from Micallef's Art Collection. So after all, we do have alternatives.

• by DemonHead by DemonHead
  • by Siebter by Siebter
  • by Flavorite by Flavorite
  • by Flavorite by Flavorite

Popular Helmut Lang

Helmut Lang - Eau de Cologne by Helmut Lang Helmut Lang - Eau de Parfum by Helmut Lang Cuiron (2014) by Helmut Lang Helmut Lang - Eau de Parfum (2014) by Helmut Lang Helmut Lang - Eau de Cologne (2014) by Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme (Eau de Cologne) by Helmut Lang Helmut Lang - Parfum by Helmut Lang Velviona by Helmut Lang Cuiron pour Homme (After Shave) by Helmut Lang