Eau de Mandarine Ambrée 2013

Eau de Mandarine Ambrée is a perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is fruity-citrusy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Mandarin orangeMandarin orange Passion fruitPassion fruit AmberAmber

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 07.05.2022.

Mandarin Puzzle
Another of those 'how does he do it?' mysteries from Jean-Claude Ellena.
Mandarine Ambrée does exactly what it says on the tin : mandarin - amber, mandarin - amber, amber - mandarin.
But how does he make the mandarin - a citrus top note, last as long as the base note - amber?
The answer is; it's virtual mandarin, backed with a fruity note.
Once you've figured that out, this linear and rather straightforward amber tends to lose its interest.
Signature?
Why have I not managed to write down my thoughts on this fragrance until now? I've owned it for years and every time I use it I think it suits me, it's my "signature". And then it slips out of my sight again. It's just a cologne. That can't be "signature-suitable" at all, they're only supposed to refresh briefly, are strongly lemony and without depth.

But here the case is then but clearly different. Two things come together:

First, Eau Mandarine Ambree has an incredible quality and uniqueness, which has already been elaborated here. It is definitely "fresh" and natural with its often commented realistic mandarin. And yet, right from the start, the amber gives depth and warmth that one tends to expect from perfumes. I smell out a hard-to-specify and exceedingly elegant and subtle spiciness that I find far from one-dimensional. And the kicker, just when you think that's it after three four hours, you're surprised again after about six to eight hours (similar to Eau d'Hermes, by the way). The fragrance comes alive again, this time with a more animalic, physicality radiating amber note. Wonderful Love is...

Secondly, it shows once again. A fragrance itself and stand alone is nothing, it is always the connection it makes with the personality of the wearer or wearer. If a fragrance does not fit, he does not convince, there he may still be so high-quality and long-lasting. If he fits it is heavenly!

All in all, what I think is an underrated fragrance. He is more durable and more present than you think, but without losing the restrained character of a Colognes. He is a good alternative for all those who love the Eau des Merveilles, for example, but have smelled it too often on themselves and others. It clearly has Hermes DNA and in my view can really be worn for all seasons and occasions. A signature cologne at its best!
Greenfan1701
A fragrant and fruity event
Actually, I'm always too fast with my statements, so I would like to correct myself. I find this fragrance meanwhile more than successful (had claimed some time ago in the statements something contrary).
After there are for this yes only 3 fragrance components, I'm sure that at the time the "spice" that had aroused my displeasure was the passion fruit, because mandarin and amber I like very much.
Now it so happened that - the other day - I had to look for something in a little closet in the house. This took some time, so I was in the little room a while zugange. I have to say that I was wearing the fragrance Eau de Mandarine Ambree that day. Well, after a while I found what I was looking for, but I had to go back into the closet because I had forgotten something, and - there it was: the scent had suddenly caught me, this mandarin and the passion fruit had united to a fragrant symbiosis, I was thrilled. One should not always immediately make a judgment, but test the fragrances several times, because one has probably not always - first, the pleasing mood and - secondly, the hormonal skin conditions for it :-)
Yes, I confess, I have actually become a big fan of this fragrance.
Many thanks to DonJuanDeCat for making me do this.
Have a great evening to you all.
BinNeugierig
A pretty child of the Hermès family
A statement about it I have already written, but now a review, because so many letters fit into no statement ?.
First : I like fragrances from Hermès very much and the creations that come from the heart and hands of Mr. Ellena, anyway .
Find it a bit of a shame that many of them have become too popular and thus "office and workplace fragrances", on the other hand, I'd rather have these around me when I'm working than anything oppressively heavy, complicated, migraine.

Specifically this fragrance I had been given years ago, but at the time it was too unisex for me, even masculine, my boyfriend at the time was allowed to have it.

Years later, I discovered my absolute (to this day) favorite fragrance of Hermès : Le Jardin De Monsieur Li, which somehow came familiar to me and has accompanied me faithfully for a few years.
A little later, my husband got 'Terre d'Hermès' as a gift, at that time a novelty that we both liked and which also seemed totally familiar to me.

Why am I writing all this? Please, a little patience, soon comes the explanation.

About a week ago I came across Eau de Mandarine Ambrée here in the souk and since I'm an absolute citrus notes fan and was also curious, as the fragrance after so many years break on me, I quickly ersoukt.
Got (lightning shipping, thanks again, @Ischgelroi !), quickly unpacked (the bottle is sooo pretty, makes immediately good mood) and tested...
Yes, this is a Hermès, you can tell immediately, my first plus has the Wässerchen.
I immediately got the impression that Eau de Mandarine Ambree, though chronologically incorrect, is a nice, somewhat introverted but thoroughly good-humoured child of aforementioned TdH and JdML. There is a family resemblance to the two that is striking to me, which pleases me because there are very fond memories associated with it ?.

Sprayed on the skin, comes out first a clear tangy mandarin ( very similar to Monsieur Li der/as/the kumquat), which disappears but very quickly (much too quickly) and on niederwiederriechen, the scent becomes sweeter, warmer, ambery, not yellow or orange, but rather green (there is also green amber?), and I have definitely sniffed out a touch of patchouli.
After ca.30 minutes, the scent is only perceived close to the skin, there it remains very long, but becomes quieter and quieter, zero citrus, the tangerine was only at the beginning times briefly there. Passion fruit I could not determine, but am not sad about it.
At the end of the day, I still liked the fragrance, but was totally disappointed by the sogut wie nicht vorhanden durability.

Today I dared the attempt on the clothes, and run for hours fascinated at me sniffing around? I still smell the mandarin (-nschale), which makes me incredibly happy as a citrus fan, at the beginning like one, it is not sharp, perhaps by the ambery warm sweetness (subtle, rather masculine), which I can also perceive very well.
I also stick to my theory that patchouli is at least somewhere on the fringes. Some note reminds me a little of Ovaltine, find it also very pleasant.
And the fragrance lasts and lasts!
On the clothes he hardly changes, only the tangerine becomes paler.

Conclusion :
a clear unisex fragrance, discreet and a GuteLauneMacher, I like! Will definitely wear it simultaneously on the skin and on clothes, then I have longer what of it and it remains not only amber.

Good mood in drop form
Wintertime is stew time! True, but doesn't quite fit the theme....

But wintertime is also southern fruit time. This wisdom comes from a time when you could not buy any fruit on any day of the year in any discount store (which did not exist at that time), because fruits and vegetables were not yet flown to Germany every day freshly caught from all parts of the world. At that time, citrus fruits lasted several days and weeks in the fruit bowl and you could safely send them in a package to the dear relatives in the East Zone, which at that time took two to three weeks by mail without them immediately rotting away. At that time I was hooked by the taste and the sweet smell of mandarins, which you can hardly find nowadays, because you can almost only buy clementines, a cross between mandarins and bitter oranges, with the wish to cross out the annoying seeds as a hybrid. In the process, unfortunately, the flavor has largely fallen by the wayside. Visit the well-sorted fruit shop around the corner - as far as they still exist - and do a tasting of a real mandarin compared to the discounter clementine. The difference is as glaring as between Angus pastured beef and Styrofoam. Vegetarians and vegans substitute tofu for the beef, but the difference should still be similar. This is just as a brief commodity fact beforehand.

Who ever strolls past an Hermès counter with all the wonderfully illuminated bottles, the eyes are certainly stuck with one or the other color. With me, it is naturally mostly orange. A very intense yet natural color, a gorgeous splash of color for any perfume collection. I'm a sucker for that standard massive yet delicate Hermes bottle, but in this just reminiscent of clear amber color, it's quite special. The black knob goes well with it, but also isn't distracting, and the atomizer reliably disperses a fine mist. Overall, a fine package.

With the first sniff receive and embrace one also immediately the fruits. Depending on the mood of the day and one smells first sometimes more passion fruit, sometimes more tangerine. But these two fruits play, dance, circle around each other, sometimes one leads, sometimes the other. At the same time, they complement each other in a wonderful way with their natural fruit, with their acidity, with their sweetness, their juiciness. Overall, the mandarin lasts longer with me, the passion fruit fades slightly after three to four hours. If its acidity decreases, a warm and soft accord spreads in the base, which supports and underpins the tangerine brilliantly, but never displaces.

On me, the fragrance lasts a good eight to ten hours, sometimes longer and remains over the time also very pleasantly present. However, since the scent progression is minimal thanks to the few fragrance chords, you can always add, especially in the summer, to intensify the olfactory experience again, without the chords would ever bite. I have made the experience that "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée" is also excellent for layering with other Hermès fragrances. A spritz of "Bel Ami" or "Equipage" over it and you have a slightly more tart and masculine impact. On the other hand, a spritz of "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée" on the classic "Bel Ami" or "Equipage" offers a friendlier, more summery face. These scents don't clash, but can complement each other beautifully when layered sparingly. Overall, I would not want to talk about a women's or men's fragrance with "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée", it is clearly wearable by everyone, because it is generally unisex due to its fruit as in aromatherapy.

In general, I see "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée" less as a fragrance, but as a mood-lifting companion that simply spreads good mood. Whether in the office or in leisure, this fragrance fits always and at any time of year. It is not perceived as disturbing, although I always get surprised looks, because the environment first looks for the fruit and only notices with time that I smell like that. Is perhaps also because that the fragrance chords are very intense on the one hand, but always have an absolutely unadulterated and especially natural character.

As I said, "Eau de Mandarine Ambrée" is good mood in drop form, perhaps not necessarily for everyone a must-have, but extensively tested you should have him in any case times.

By the way, the orange originated from the crossing of mandarin and grapefruit. But that only in the margin ...

Mandarin on the vine
This is a beautiful warm Mandarin Orange scent. I wouldn't describe it as a juicy fragrance, it's drier, more like a fresh Mandarin, hanging ripened on the branch and with the woody and leafy nuances. The amber is pronounced on my skin and pairs really, really well with this. It adds warmth and softens the sweetness and sharpness of the Mandarin. The Passion Fruit lends its presence in the drydown, exotic, sweet and fruity.

Spray it on your clothing to get added longevity.

Smora
Melancholic Cologne (Jean-Claude Ellena, 2013)
Scentrack:
Incognito - Summer's Ended

Eau de Mandarine Ambree was released five years ago as a part of the Les Colognes Hermes series. The perfumer behind was legendary Jean-Claude Ellena, the master of meticulous fragrant touch. Although the name of the fragrance suggests a mandarin-based creation, personally I found it more clementine than mandarin. Clementine shares the same sweetness with mandarin, but possesses an additional green aspect possibly from a special kind of seeds. This clementine is hyper realistic, strong and has slightly synthetic touch. During 10-15 minutes clementine gradually morphs into sweeter and more tropical phase. I have to admit, if hadn’t looked at the note breakdown before, I wouldn’t identify it as passion fruit. This transition is very smooth and gentle. The parallel transition from clementine to amber-like base is equally smooth. I deliberately use the term “amber-like” because in my opinion the present is just some melancholic shades of amber. The clementine acquires some light touch of vanilla, and becomes just lightly sweeter. It is still a cheerful fragrance, but the present is some late summer melancholy. Like the summer is almost gone, and autumn is just around the corner. Summer loves are gone, and soon they will be forgotten.

Eau de Mandarine Ambree is a very nice addition to the cologne genre, and a very nice work from the master of fresh and vivid fragrances.

Melancholically perfect!
Well, I won’t hide it – I am a big fan of Ellena, and quite a fan of this extremely solid line of green-fresh “eaux” by Hermès. Sure, they’re quite short-lasting and ephemeral to say the least, quite discreet and not the best booty call radar for your hot nights downtown : but within the concept and considering the expectations one may reasonably have, that is to say “for being fresh toilet waters”, they are just perfect. They deliver exactly what their names suggest, with the most effortless, understated, solid class and accuracy. Eau de Mandarine Ambrée is nothing less and nothing more than a delightful sleek glass bottle filled with a distinguished infusion of water scented with, well, orange and amber. More orange than amber, actually; the “ambrée” feature seems to me here almost more a metaphorical reference to a shade of golden warmth giving some “substance” to the prominent – and actually, main and nearly only – accord of orange and citrus. I get no specific accords of amber, rather just a sort of ambery shade, a very subtle touch of that. Something slightly resinous, maybe, but not a proper amber accord for me. Think of a glass of lukewarm orange-scented water, with its golden-orange nuances flaming and reflecting the light, there’s the “amber” feature of this. More an aesthetical reference, so to speak. However it’s surely more all about orange for me – a refined still-life portrait of an orange, Hermès style; don’t expect a splash of invigorating, zesty, juicy orange pulp, this is rather the smell of a mid-afternoon tea room on the French coast with some orange leaves and peels lazily lingering on the table, waiting for someone to pick them up and clear the table. Think of Hermès’ own trademark orange colour, this is quite its olfactory depiction. Sophisticated, mannered, almost snobbish, kind of melancholic and definitely French. And what amazes me, as for other “eaux” of this line, is how Ellena managed to make this smell restrained, civilized, modern and almost “abstract” in its universally-appealing, prototypical cleanliness, and yet extremely natural and realistic. Sometimes he seems the only living perfumer which is able to accomplish such an effortless blend of elegance and naturalness. Long live Ellena!

8/10

Luxurious nuances, lounge jazz
This is one of the most realistic mandarin fragrances I have ever come across.

Nevertheless, the mandarin air is so subjective, while the fragrance immediately shifts to amber accord and goes deep. I'm afraid to call this fluffy vanilla mucky accord "amber". It's slightly smoldering and warm, soft dusty and pale musky. For a dusty base I guess vetiver is in the composition to conjure it up.

Eau de Mandarine Ambrée is a resort fragrance but not a fragrance for Miami. Get to your villa around Mediterranea with friends, make a private party, ride your yacht, and dive in azure blue sea every morning! Very luxury life needs simple fragrances sometimes. This is the smell of those moments.
8.5/10

A lot of soft senses
Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it's breaking
(Michael Jackson)

I just can smile when wearing or testing or smelling this cologne.
You can relax with it.
" Jean-Claude Ellena" create a very comfortable cologne to wear.
He knows how to play with perfume notes as well as "Beethoven" knows how to play with music notes.

This is a very nice instance of cologne that based on amber.
You know that amber has not natural essence. and it made from tonka bean and some other notes. so we have many kind of amber.
In this case, You smell a sharp and resinous kind of amber.
one of the best of them.
Select mandarin along with Amber, is a smart choice.

But there is a problem in this artwork.
It is EDC (eau de cologne).
The longevity and sillage are so hopeless.

LasagneLasagne 1 year ago
Very realistic and warm juicy tangerines scent. Reminds me of lit up sparklers on the New Year's Eve and that makes it even more cozy & fun!
HugoMontezHugoMontez 1 year ago
A good mandarin-passion fruit cocktail. A bit like an hand/body soap but still great. Very linear and soft, and, obviously, short-lived. 3/5
HermeshHermesh 7 years ago
2.5
Mandarin is juicy, but (unfortunately) a little short-lived. Soon light amber takes over which remains close to the skin.

by DemonHead
by ELDE
Eau de Mandarine Ambree von Hermes
Eau de Mandarine Ambree von Hermes

Popular by Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès