Elixir des Merveilles 2006

Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
Elixir des Merveilles is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and was released in 2006. The scent is spicy-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

AmberAmber OakOak CaramelCaramel Orange zestOrange zest PatchouliPatchouli Peru balsamPeru balsam SandalwoodSandalwood Tonka beanTonka bean Vanilla sugarVanilla sugar FrankincenseFrankincense CedarCedar

Submitted by Sani, last update on 05.09.2022.

10 in-depth fragrance descriptions
Miro
If he's too strong, you're too weak!

Today is one of those days when I feel good again... recovered and strong. Today nothing can happen to me! I have to take advantage of this right away.... and so it comes that I wear EdM I can call it my own for a year now, and I have certainly not worn it ten times.
This is certainly due to the fact that I wear different scents every day, that I would not use EdM in spring/summer .... yes, and that I don't always feel strong enough for it in the cooler season.

As soon as I have applied the elixir, the orange peel rises into my nose.... along with pesticides I think. The top note almost.... kills me, I smell bitter, no scratchy orange peel. And there's a hint of aftershave coming through. I find the top note to be very masculine.
Every time I spray the fragrance I ask myself why I bought it in the first place? I liked it so much when I tested it in duty free. A few weeks later I simply ordered it....yes, and now I sit there and almost have to get over using it. Anyway, the bottle is beautiful I also find it unbelievably strong, once sprayed deep.... there is no escape. Point of no return, so to speak.
I always just spray it in the air and then take one step ahead... just in case. Maybe a mini spray on the wrists. And it's not that I don't like Wummser. My perfumes have to be strong, screaming and loud. I love it when my perfume enters the room in front of me, I know... a lot of people don't like that. I do After half an hour, EdM becomes tamer, softer and more pleasing. The scratchy part disappears. From then on it becomes creamier and more pleasing. This is a fragrance that is quite deep and dark from beginning to end. It is absolutely not an easy scent.
I find it difficult to smell individual fragrance components.... except for the orange peel I can smell amber at the beginning. Later on I can smell tonka bean, too. That is the point where I really like it. Then it is warm,soft and wonderful For the shelf life.... 12 hours loose. It sticks to clothes like cloths for days.

I love him, but I'm scared of him.... well, that's it.

More is More
O mama.
Here is a scent for the bold and the cozy all in one.
Never encountered a scent so contradictionary nor excentric.

Elixer des Merveilles feels like wearing lots of diamonds on the beach, having strawberries and chocolat for dinner and wearing a tuxedo while shopping late at night in a supermarket.

I love it, but it took some time to grow on me:
Rebellious and Chique!

jtd
Works in a way probably not intended.
Elixir des Merveilles is an almost, almost, not-quite. How fun that Hermès, with its emphasis on luxury, taste and class distinction, the first step to which is clear identifiability to those who desire them, would make such a neither/nor fragrance. Orange peel, but not edible (almost gourmand.) Chewy, resinous woodiness (almost oriental.) A tonka basenote that takes the edge off the sweetness (not quite fougère.)

There is a density, a viscosity that suggests something highly caloric, but I think is more of an illusion of orange over a dense peru balsam, incense and a cedar-like sandlewood. (Assumedly Australian sandlewood. If so, a wonderful use of what has been consdered the poor cousin to the depleted mysore sandlewood.)

The risk is that Elixir might read as indistinct. The upshot is that it suggests an ambiguity that can be very alluring, and as most men tend to steer clear of ambiguity in fragrance, perhaps Elixir would make a great men's fragrance.
Wikki
Super for the fragrance lamp
At first it smells for a long time simply like honeycomb and later on it becomes a "forest scent" with an odorable resin note, whereby the honey is still very dominant. I like the scent very much and it is really something different, but I wonder where and when I should wear this scent and if I personally really want to smell like this. For me it has no real "perfume character" and I can imagine the fragrance much better than room fragrance or oil for fragrance lamps, which probably works out cheaper :-)

Luscious Golden Satin
Hermès Elixir des Merveilles manages to roll together the best qualities of amber and gourmand perfumes into one scrumptious creation. The amber is golden, shimmering and viscous, while the orange facet is sweet and somehow resinous. The vast majority of fragrances boasting orange as a note wind up as citrus colognes, and many amber perfumes smell alike in the drydown. Not Elixir des Merveilles, which manages to roll amber and orange together into a unique and compelling perfume.

This extraordinary creation, like everything Hermès makes, exudes quality, and this perfume in particular verily oozes sensuality. Vanilla sugar and patchouli may sound like you're in for yet another instantiation of a trite and overdone fad, but in this composition they are perfectly measured and balanced by balsam, incense, oak, and cedar, with the result that the final perfume product is essentially a seamless piece of satin effortlessly piled upon itself both to reflect light and to create shadows.

A gorgeous perfume and a great pleasure to wear.
More reviews

1 short view on the fragrance
Jazzy76Jazzy76 4 years ago
warm and zesty at the same time, it's a wonderful and longlasting scent contained in a "magic ball". Perfect in every season. High price.

Images

47 fragrance photos of the community
More images

Popular by Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Givrée by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès