Equipage (1970) Eau de Toilette

Equipage (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 1970. The scent is spicy-woody. It is still in production.

Guy Robert

Top Notes Top NotesAldehydes, Bergamot, Mace, Clary sage, Orange, Rosewood
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Jasmine, Pine needle, Lily-of-the-valley, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Musk, Patchouli, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Vetiver

Submitted by Sani, last update on 11.05.2019

8.0 7.0 8.0 8.0/10

Calm In the storm
Here in Bo raves " Bochum Total " - THE open air event in NRW.

I had to lie my way through various barriers to get to the docki and my regular perfumery.

The whole of NRW seems to be cavorting in the city.
No, it's not my scene.
I'm glad Equipage's waiting for me at the store.
That's my scene.

The fragrance welcomes me calmly and calmly - with a pleasant sovereignty.
A retreat from the hustle and bustle that surges by outside.
The spices are full but gentle and are lightened by the orange.
Carnation reaches me clearly but not with difficulty - because the coniferous wood is added ethereally.
Cinnamon and vanilla go delicately sweet hand in hand, and are grounded with loose vetiver.

For me a balanced and balancing unisex scent that helps with the inner assembly.

He was really good to me
5.0 5.0 6.0 5.0/10

Retro Aromatic!
A very old school, aromatic, herbal, floral, leather, mossy fragrance with very well made ingredients that is suited towards the grown ups.

This type of fragrance will not appeal to many younger men IMO.. Something in this does not set well with me.. I am thinking it is the carnation & pine mix? I am not a fan of carnation, It literally flops on my skin.

It is classy & sophisticated but I don't have a need for this fragrance in my wardrobe. Lasting power is 5-6 hours with arms reach projection. If you like retro, masculine dated fragrances, check out Equipage! This gets a below average rating from me.
9.0 8.0 9.0 9.0/10

Rickbr
Spicy Classic still good in current formula
Equipage was the first masculine perfume launched by Hermès in the 70s and the impression I have is that the house has spared no effort to create it. They chose a very talented perfumer and creator of beautiful classic for such a task, Guy Robert. The Guy Robert perfumes seem like classical symphonies, well orchestrated, creations of very good taste independent of the sex audience. And as Bel-Ami, Equipage is another creation able to withstand the time and the necessary reformulations without losing its beauty.

It is not necessary to know the year of creation of Equipage to realize that we are facing a perfume of the past, created at a time when well thought and slow aromatic evolutions were valued instead of linear aromas and instant gratification of perfumes of today. Equipage is full of detail and has that retro sophisticated air that for some may seem dated but for me it is something increasingly rare to find.

The opening has a balanced hint of dry aldehydic touch with a citrus scent that appears very quickly. They work for me as messengers of the hot spicy and enveloping richness of this perfume. The combination of cinnamon, carnation and rosewood gives the fragrance a spicy, sweet and almost liqueur aroma, which reminds you of a hot and delicious drink for a winter day. The aroma of herbs and fir help secondarily to balance that liqueur and floral spicy smell that formes.

In the final stage Equipage brings me the wealth of perfume bases of the past, who have always had a shareable impression due to the balance of woody aromas and vetiver with slightly animalic and powdery musks. It is an abstract and subtle finish, but with a great duration and noticeable for a long time and is a way to end a good perfume that seems to have been thought in the little details to be an excellent first male perfume for the brand.
7.5 2.5 2.5 6.0/10

Drseid
Hermes Does Very Safe and Formal...
*This is a review of the vintage formula

Equipage (vintage) opens with a mild bergamot citrus, quickly mixing with a more prominent rosewood note before transitioning to the early heart. The rosewood remains into the heart, coupling with a subdued carnation floral and powdery oakmoss and vanilla rising from the base, with faint hints of jasmine and cinnamon spice rounding out the main heart accord. The scent stays relatively linear, with the powder fading into the dry-down, allowing the rosewood a bit more time to shine along with the spice. Projection and longevity are both below average.

Equipage (vintage) is a pleasant very conservative scent that I like, but I can't help feeling it needs something else to roughen it up a bit. It is just so polished and muted that while it will work in formal situations very well, it has little excitement to keep one interested for daily general wear (not to mention it does not last relatively long). Scents like the vintage versions of New York and Tiffany for Men occupy similar space to Equipage (vintage), but both of those are more interesting compositions with better performance for similar money. The bottom line is Equipage (vintage) is a solid conservative release from Hermes, but there are even better choices in the genre than this 3 star out of 5 classic to be had.

Cool Spicy
There is a way to get a spareness in overall feel that come from a well considered complexity. This is Equipage’s great success. The accords found in Equipage I’m sure have many building blocks, but the fragrance has one precise inflection. There is a cold sharpness that is not harsh, but precise. Equipage has a tone that reminds me of how sound travels through cold, dry air in winter. There is a snap and a crispness that doesn’t say, “fresh," but “frosty.”

Bergamot can have a silver/grey feel to it, but combined with a clove-like, peppery carnation and pine, it feels positively nippy. Even the herbal elements work in the same direction. What seems like clary sage and tarragon add a minty or camphorous bit that lines up squarely with both the pine and the carnation. As things progress, woody aspects enter. But here too, it’s not creamy or warm, although it is very smooth. Vetiver and moss keep things cool by making it feel just a little damp. There seems to be something like rosewood, which might warm the cheeks a bit, but it can’t really thaw the overall sensation.

Interestingly, Equipage works well in both worm and cool climates. When it’s cool out, Equipage feels snappy and crisp. In the heat it has a cooling “menthol” effect. Some see this as a chypre, some a fougère and others as an aromatic wood. I can see chypre, though I don’t really get the fougère vibe, and lean toward floral spicy wood. This neither/nor doesn't muddy the waters a bit. It makes Equipage subtle but distinctive.

Not my favorite.
Equipage may be the fragrance which has convinced me that I simply don't have the nose I wish I had, and that I may have to finally own up to the fact. Still, I suspect there are other fans of scent who are equally impaired, and yet still carry on with the search for things they enjoy, so perhaps this review will be useful for some.

To be honest, this is the first fragrance I've smelled which really rates as soapy smelling in my book. There are other notes, woody and floral, hiding under there which slowly evolve, but for me it's soapy nature overwhelms everything else well on into the basenotes. It's certainly a "distinguished" fragrance, but even at my advanced age I'm not sure I want to be seen as staid and conservative as this, so it's never going to be a favorite of mine, I fear.

Again, others with more sophisticated noses will likely find much more in this now-classic Hermes than I do, and I am a huge fan of Bel Ami, so I am not adverse to fragrances from this era. But given it's reputation as a "mature" sort of fragrance, it's worth giving a full test before making up you mind.
10.0 5.0 7.5 9.0/10

THE winter scent for lovers of Chanel Pour Monsieur
Sadly this scent is getting more and more difficult to find. A few weeks ago i discovered it at Galeria (!) and sprayed it on.
I was instantly thrilled, tested it a few more times and now own a decant + a mini of the vintage juice. A big bottle seemed too much, however this might become full-bottle-wothy.

The scent:

To me this scent is very distinguished and sophisticated. The top-notes are VERY spicy, lots of cloves (carnation?) and some cinnamon. But not as warm as this might sound, rather cool. Don't know how they did this - might be the bergamot, the nutmeg or the pine. No idea. Spicy cool and a bit waxy.
O yeah, I forgot the orange. Feel a bit like an almond biscuit ("Spekulatius") in the beginning. When the first spicy tempest is over, the spices remain present in the background. Then, the right dose of patchouli creates a very delicious ashtray - or cold pipe note. DELICIOUS! Some slight hints of leather. To me the scent shares some DNA with New York by Nicolai. Or lets say this might have been one of the inspirations of New York. Spicy-orangy-smoky. New York seems a bit warmer, sweeter, more abundant, less understated - it lacks of the nutmeg, has a longer-lasting citrus and additional lavender. Ok, a totally different scent, but I believe that Equipage is cited by New York.
After the first spicy blast Equipage is rather quiet skin scent. Very understated, very british. I can virtually see the plaid tweed blazer.
Yes, a winter scent for those who love Chanel Pour Monsieur for example. Rather masculine in character but very pleasing and soft. Should work well on a woman. Well, actually I don't care. i wear it because I love it. A perfect scent for work and for special occasions, serious, classy, a bit reserved, nothing dandy-like. Evidence of the wearer's good taste and class. For a gentleman/woman that can appreciate a certain understatement and does not blurt out: Look, here I am. Equipage is not a scent for attention-seeking and narcisstic egocentrics. Not a scent to get the chicks laid. On the other hand I wouldn't call it a gradfather's scent. Certainly, I do not see a teenage boy wear this one. 30 and up.

Last but not least some technical details:
- low key sillage once the initial blast has settled down
- longevity is ok but not earthshaking (New York lasts longer and projects more - to give you an idea)
- the recent and the vintage version smell very similar if not the same. At least this was my first impression. Now that I have been wearing the vintage quite a lot I should retry the recent version.

by Andreas09
by Digindirt
by Carlossp
by Carlossp

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès