Galop d'Hermès 2016

Galop d'Hermès is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and was released in 2016. The scent is leathery-floral. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

RoseRose
LeatherLeather
SaffronSaffron
QuinceQuince

Submitted by Michael, last update on 28.10.2021.

0.5

Interdit
The harsh side of quince
This is vile at a hefty price tag.

The quince here just ruins what could have worked in this concoction. Way too much and it dies down too little, too slowly. The drydown evokes the scent you'd likely smell in some ancient library where some unidentified lady had sat hours before your arrival, wearing her oldie worldie rosie perfume.

While leaving, she stepped onto the leather floppy bag she had left on the floor beside her chair. Inside was a quince she'd taken for snack, and its scent wanders now in the library, like a ghost seeking the exit. Rose is an illusion here. All you'll get is paper (that of mouldy, antique books) whiffs.

I don't understand why anyone would want to smell like this. Yes, it's a "posh" scent, but for rooms (!) not people. Talking of filling a room, this will get you noticed for sure... and all for the wrong reasons! Guess I'll stick to my Kelly. It appears to be the only one fragrance Hermes got right (aside his colognes).

Unimpressed, not to say shocked.
PS: this is anything but feminine. I used my decant to scent my library.

Try before buy, at risk of being highly disappointed if you don't.

Versailles
As unconventional as it is fascinating
I had long wondered if I wanted Galop, as the recessions here are far apart and the fragrance seems to polarise. Today I am very happy that the fragrance found its way into my collection after all. Already the light yellow-golden colouring of the liquid and the first spray evoke lively associations in me: I was lucky to be a guest at Schloss Wackerbarth near Dresden in Saxony's Radebeul for birthdays or special occasions with my family. The baroque castle is idyllically surrounded by a garden and vineyards and offers guided tours about wine production, tastings and a champagne breakfast. In its consistency and its smell Galop actually reminds me of a noble drop of white wine: tingling, sparkling, sweet to semi-dry and fruity is the beginning. Fruity-floral and as lively and curious as a real horse, Galop approaches the tester or carrier. Osmanthus [Why is he not listed here?], which often evokes associations of apricots and plums, refines the fragrance, supports his optimistic first impression and at the same time gives Galop some freshness. From below the leather breaks its way and gives the initially lively scent hold and strength of character. At this stage Galop distantly reminds me of Bottega Veneta. Although the scents are not the same, both are fruity leather (Bottega Veneta: Leather Apricot and Galop Leather Quince Rose). The leather here is new, butter soft, elegant and is reinforced by a small amount of aromatic saffron. In the further course a balancing act and constant change between a sparking, sensual and unusual rose and butter-soft leather begins. Christine Nagel says about it that she "chose two quite opposite compositions - rose and leather". Two raw materials dancing together. The leather enlivens the rose, the rose tears the leather with it." In its late development, the rose dominates for me and turns the initial unisex scent into a slightly more feminine perfume. Galop is now reminiscent of high-quality rose care products. Although I like to test fragrances in perfumeries and have samples of niche perfumes sent to me, I have not yet found anything comparable in odor. Like a real horse, Galop always expects a respectful approach! Cuddly, soft and to lean on like many other fragrances it is not, but because of its unusual nature it is very captivating and fascinating. Galop is offered as a pure perfume, which is very rare today. The bottle has the shape of a stirrup. Minimalistic and very chic he is also on the home chest of drawers a real eye-catcher! From the initial restraint Galop then galloped very quickly to one of my favourite leather scents.

Marquise27
Fine leather bag of the highest quality
I would say this is the smell of a very bright, very noble and expensive handmade leather bag, for me it smells like leather, leather and leather what one a Rosentraussf past has scurried and this one has touched strongly. Its durability is enormous. But for me it also has a small sting, something sharp and penetrating also appears. It is worn by a woman who can convince in whatever way... with brains or with the acumen of female logic, often paired with the slightly hypothermic sexiness of a lady. But sometimes a boarding school student from a good home comes along and then he seems a little cheeky and self-determined and freedom-loving. He is not tender but time his very present and that for the whole day. A bright and beautiful companion with a fruity accent that can be gently perceived after many hours, gets something girlishly romantic, but only for a short time. I think he has something serious and self-confident, a powerful companion for the beautiful female sex. Bottle has a fancy design, price is high because of it brand, certainly not affordable for everyone. But if love should beat for this fine fragrance, you have here a wonderful companion for every life situation. I love him to ladies, for me is not a men's scent.
Duftsucht
Hop hop hop, liquorice run gallop!
Honestly, am I the only one who smells cumin and liquorice? And not only at the beginning, but also later, when the stable gate of the luxury country estate, framed by lavishly blossoming climbing roses, opens and an odour poutpourri emerges from hay, sweaty saddles and leather cream. With this fragrance, I constantly ask myself how much our brain is influenced by the name (and by the flacons I sniff from a test tube). Because it can not be that I smell a half-timbered barn with red roof, or?
For me it doesn't smell unpleasant like stables, saddles and roses, the quince on the other hand is misappropriated by my nose. However, as I have exceeded a certain saturation limit with leather, as with oud, this fragrance is not for me.

Luxurious Suede in Quince Syrup
Upon spraying Galop d'Hermès, the three main player of the fragrance - quince, rose and suede - gallop towards my nose right away. The quince exudes its rosy, ripe pear-like succulence, enhancing the delicate, honeyed sweetness of pink rose petals. The suede employed here, like previous reviewers mentioned, reminds me of the same plush, slightly cumin-tinted suede note in Cuir d'Ange too, with its supple texture occasionally evoking turkish delight along with the tender sweetness of rose and fruits.

Galop is overall linear during its 8-hour longevity on my skin, with these three main notes rotating in and out from time to time and the vegetal muskiness becoming more noticeable about 3 hours in. The osmanthus and saffron sit at the intersection of fruity quince, spicy rose and suede, and they behave more like extension and overlap of these notes among themselves. The sillage is mostly moderate.

Compared to the Hermès fragrances released during Jean-Claude Ellena's tenure, Galop d'Hermès immediately feels richer and more saturated in colour. But at the same time, it's still lightweight enough to fit into the modern Hermès sensibility.

This continuation in style (relatively transparent aesthetics) with a more personal touch (with a more saturated palette) is promising in theory. However, certain aspects of Galop's execution left much to be desired for me. The main culprit is the syrupiness of the fruity note, which at times largely overshadows the rose and the excellent suede note. Moreover, when the tanned aspect of suede is mixed with the strong sugary fruity sweetness, it renders the fruity note somewhat more synthetic, which is not in accord with the luxurious image and price tag of Galop.

With its large portion of sweet, frivolous fruity note providing an easier entry point, Galop would have made an excellent choice for those who enjoy fruity floral gourmand in general and would like to start the exploration of leather/suede note in perfumery. However, with its limited distribution and high price tag, I'd hesitate to recommend it over other more available options on the market.

Not my Hermes leather perfume
I didn't enjoy the wet fruity leather first stage at all, it smells just bad to my nose. And though the dry down is an elegant luxury soft rose leather, I like perfumes of which I can enjoy all the trip. I much prefer other leather perfumes of this very same house, which by the way fortunately, I don't find similar to this one.
I also find the price is too high for what you get in this case, if the concentration is that of extrait, I must say that in my opinion it doesn't perform better than most of eau de parfum offers. Though the bottle is a very good design.

A pity, I really expected to like it :(

LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
Tangy quince opens up to a spiced saffron-infused rosey raw leather. One of my favourites.

by CubaMike
by Rajudaph
by Ninber
by Ninber

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès