Hermessence Agar Ébène 2018

Hermessence Agar Ébène is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-leathery. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

Oud, Balsam fir

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 27.03.2021.

Cumulnimbus
Fresh elegant and subtle oud for personal pleasure
I really didn't expect to like this one but I do.
It is fresh, elegant and complex.
I can see this one working well as someone's signature.
All year round, versatile perfume.

I didn't know I was looking for a clean and spring time sibling of Guerlain's Bois mystérieux until I got to smell Agar Ebene. I like it when perfumes make me discover an unwalked path in my perfume aventures.

Unisex leaning to masculine.
As most of Hermes scents, polite in terms of sillage.
Combined trees
Hey, guys, how you doing? Of course I hope that you all are doing well and that you keep to distance rules, hygiene and limited contacts so that this miserable crisis is over faster and we have to live less in fear or worry. Until then we have to endure all this despite the good weather and keep ourselves busy somehow. A good way to do this is, as always, when you read my comments and see how I am just grumbling :D

Anyway, today I am describing a fragrance by Hermès, a brand I really like very much. The fragrance today is called "Agar Ébène" and is from the expensive Hermessence range, which has some really great scents. Soo... basically, this fragrance is about the combination of woody notes, which sounds rather simple and a bit unspectacular to me, but you never know what it will smell like in the end, right?

So it is! Therefore I start first and only grumble at the end, if I don't like the scent so much :D

The smell:
The fragrance begins with a gentle oud note combined with sweetish scents. To this there seems to be an earthy note that reminds me of patchouli. Only a few minutes later, the oud gets weaker and I smell more of a mix of woody tree scents, general (but nicely soft) woods and earthy notes. In the background the scent is still slightly sweetish.
Also later not much changes for the time being and it smells mainly woody and now again oud. Now the earthy scent is in the background as the scent becomes woody and woody.
At the base the fragrance does not change much. It remains, you can guess, still woody, where you can smell both the soft woody notes and the oud, but the sweetness goes back a bit and it remains woody as described, although this too, as I said, now smells even more woody, as the earthy notes, which previously reminded us of a forest floor, now also weaken.
All in all, a nice scent, which is also quite simple and somewhat unspectacular.

The Sillage and the durability:
The Sillage is rather weak. I think that this scent would be best only sniffed at close quarters. The shelf life is already longer. I could smell the scent on my skin for eight or nine hours, although quite weak in the later hours.

The bottle! The bottle is rectangular with rounded corners and a thick base. Depending on the quantity or edition, it either looks like a scaled-down version of most of the usual Hermès bottles or is slightly more rectangular. The lid has a reddish-brown leather wrap and looks nice with it. All in all, a beautiful bottle.

Conclusion:
Soo... okay, the smell is not bad. Really not, it smells very great, because it's soft woody and slightly sweetish. The oud, which smells weaker in the beginning, doesn't get much stronger in the further course of the fragrance and doesn't get crushed, as it can be the case with some oud scents, when the eagle wood should really hit you.

But I also think that the fragrance, despite its nice side, comes across a little too plain, at least for an exclusive fragrance from the rather expensive Hermessence series. A test is certainly recommended, but whether a purchase is worthwhile is something that everyone has to decide for themselves. As I said before, it is a bit too expensive for me because of the not so outstanding scent and the low sillage.

Anyway, in my opinion he is an all-rounder. With oud you might often think of autumn and winter, but here the oud isn't that strong, and the soft notes make the fragrance softer, that I think you could wear it all year round, even at work.

So... that's it from me again. Hey, I didn't bitch this time, did I? Especially not about perfumes! You see, I'm not as bad as you think I am. However, I can't guarantee that I'll stay nice in my next comment, we'll see... D

Well then, have a nice evening and try to stay healthy :)

MoentiMoenti 3 years ago
Very very... surprising, new, deep, dark, smooth, gentle, but also a bit wild. Unfortunately not very longliving on my skin. But I love it.

by Rivegauche
by Rivegauche
by Lucasai
by Lucasai
by Salered
by Salered

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès