Hermessence Ambre Narguilé (2004)

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès
Bottle Design: Alnoor Design
Hermessence Ambre Narguilé is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is sweet-gourmand. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Ambergris, Benzoin, Honey, Ginger, Caramel, Coumarin, Labdanum, Musk, Rum, Sesame, Tonka bean, Vanilla, Frankincense, White orchid, Cinnamon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.02.2019

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
Ho Ho Ho!
Dear Santa Claus, how are you?

Santa Claus: Ho. Ho, Ho, at the moment it's a bit stressful, I have a lot to do, soon it's going to be round and there's a lot to prepare. Santa Claus is just like people. I long now for the time of rest between the years.

Which gifts are particularly in demand this year?

Santa Claus: Ho, Ho, Ho, toy trains don't work anymore. You have to put it this way. These are just isolated cases. Otherwise only perfumes and electronics are running. Actually, I should have thrown Christmas on the market as a video game this year. Merchandising, you understand. But the Americans and the Chinese beat us to it. For years I have had to live there with tough competition. The Santa Claus Inc. has teamed up with a shower company and terrorizes the whole continent with Jingel Bells. Meanwhile the Americans have released "Santa Claus - Holy Shit" and the Chinese have even released "Santa Claus 2 - Holy Snow Race" as a computer game. But admittedly, Coca-Cola recognized my great talent and signed me in 1931.

And what of Knecht Ruprecht and the Christ Child?

Santa Claus: Yes, I know them, they are also in my line of business, so you might run into each other. The servant Ruprecht is the assistant of Saint Nicholas, so to speak his sidekick. Like Batman & Robin. When he's out with Niki, he's quite a bad guy - that's his job - but he's actually quite nice. Niki soon has his big day and is just terribly under stress, the old Boots Lover!

The Christkind does the same job as me, mainly in Switzerland, Austria. They know it in Germany, too. The people of Nuremberg have known their famous Christmas market after him.

Why don't you work as a joint venture with the Christ Child?

Santa Claus: Let's do it. I'm even allowed to say Chrissy and he calls me Christmas.
We met at a time management workshop. Then we also took part together in the mulled wine meeting for team building. But I can't remember much about that. So far the teamwork works well.

Which perfumes are in such high demand at the moment?

Santa Claus: All kinds of mostly more expensive fragrances. I've also started to produce a perfume now and wanted to market it as Santa Claus Extreme, but my gnomes thought the name could be misleading because of my stature. I have now sold the license to distribute to Hermes.

And we can imagine the scent?

Santa Claus: Well, I'd say the way you imagine the winter time, or the Christmas time, as the case may be. It's cozy, cozy and sweet. I have tried to use as much as possible typical winter aromas.
When you spray it on, you will automatically think of this time, it starts with a good pinch of cinnamon and caramel followed by vanilla. The great thing is that you think you are sitting in front of a baked apple, which I particularly like, but without raisins. Children will think of grandma's kitchen, adults of the time with the family under the Christmas tree. Then I mixed a light rum note under it, because the parents like to lift one and it is also baked a lot with rum.

Sounds good to me. So a cinnamon/ rum scent?

Santa Claus: Yes, too, the clou is the honey and benzoin, which makes the whole thing a bit thicker. The rest I did like cooking, a little incense here, a little musk there, but only a little of everything. Rudolph was very enthusiastic, he also ate all the sesame away. Just imagine a baked apple with cinnamon in vanilla sauce, you will nibble on yourself. On the other hand... do you know the movie "American Pie"?

Uh, yeah. Some claim that you don't even exist because theoretically you would have to visit 822.6 houses per second. Even DHL or Hermes can't do that.

Santa Claus: Nonsense. I'm a seasonal worker. They can do it. Take a look at the asparagus peelers in summer. They're real heroes. I solve the time problem with the relativity clouds in the space-time continuum.

What do you want for Christmas?

Santa Claus: Ho, Ho, Ho, world peace, of course. We are also committed to the two-degree goal of global warming, otherwise our sled teams won't make any progress due to the lack of snow. Tolerance would also be nice and that not everyone always sees everything so seriously. Having my perfume cheaper is also an option. But I have made sure that it lasts at least very long if you wear it, so that you get what for your money. Out the back, I let it get a little powdery.

What if a house doesn't have a fireplace? Is your elevator anyway already difficult to get in over the?

Santa Claus: Oh there are different possibilities. I do that with my Christmas app. It shows me which houses in the Duisburg district do not have a chimney and suggests an alternative route via pipelines. The parcels are then sent as tube mail and as soon as they have arrived, a "You have reached your Christmas tree" sounds on my mobile phone at WhatsweihnachtsApp. You have to keep up with the times.

Would you like to greet someone else?

Santa Claus: Ilovecoffee and Cafenoir which have helped me to the fragrance and all my dear friends here which I wish now, even if it is quite early a great time in December.

Ho Ho Ho!
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
valuable mood enhancer in gold
Honey, caramel, vanilla and cinnamon: this could truly be a recipe for Christmas baking.
But Hermès used these and other fine spices to create a fragrance that makes the sun shine and spreads warmth even on days like today.
And that is so necessary: the sheep cold has us also this year firmly and punctually in the grasp; fortunately is heated, but the right summer mood does not want to adjust itself so at all.
Grey, damp, windy and just depressing the mood: that's how this Monday is!
The temptation to crawl under the warm blanket again is damn big!

Even before getting up it is clear to me: today "Hermessence Ambre Narguilé" has to make sure that this day doesn't "come under the wheels" from the very beginning.
Actually, I'm not a sweet mouth at all and gourmandig-sweet makes me shy away for now.
But as you know, exceptions confirm the rule.
This scent has done it to me from the first spraying. Can777 knew very well what he was doing when he put it in my package.

Honey, caramel, vanilla and cinnamon greet me right at the beginning.
Also Sesame (a little roasted?) raises its head, makes quietly, but certainly on itself attentively.
This golden warmth makes my senses float easily: so I am today right above the clouds. With the proverbial freedom there will be nothing, the day has too much scaffolding.
But the illusion of sun and heat - it is already there!
Ginger brings a certain, also warming spiciness and the aroma of the Tonka bean, again and again unmistakably, has the not exactly scented white orchid in tow!
The scent increases; it becomes more mature and fuller.
The resinous spice of benzoin and labdanum, together with coumarin lead this scent chord from the sweetness into the somewhat scratchy spiciness. It's good for the scent!
In addition there is a beautifully matured dark rum.
There's nothing here with "Bacardi feeling"!
No, a heavy, palatable rum in deep gold, as it is used for a good, warming grog, is added and makes this creamy scent a bit more palatable!
A light smile appears - it is not a buzz, but perhaps the preliminary stage to it?
Musk greets here and will persevere in his presence. Also this was skillfully dosed - too much or too little of it would let this fragrance formation "tip over" according to my feeling probably.
For the climax of this golden being, Hermès has saved two magnificent firecrackers: Amber and incense! What an impressive couple!
Full-bodied and smoky - this time not a bit scratchy: it is simply fantastic what has developed here in the interplay of the aromas of all these delicacies!
It's no longer "Bonjour Tristesse", but only "Bonjour Sérénité"!

"Hermessence Ambre Narguilé" spreads a wonderful, lasting serenity as its duration progresses.
The light melancholy caused by the grey disappears, everything looks lighter and warmer!
Thus the above-average duration of the fragrance is a double blessing; for a long time this golden fragrance flatters and all the delicious ingredients have the opportunity to fully develop and combine into a tasty whole!

"Golden" and "noble" are the words that come to mind for this precious creation!
There's nothing here with cool understatement; here you're padding, spilling and scooping out of the water!
With a result that has it in it and drives away the smallest thought of moping!
Isn't that beautiful?
Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Smell or perfume, that's the question.
There are things that smell fabulously good for me - and yet I don't want to smell it: Sacher cake, chocolate hazelnut cream, garlic olive oil sage lemon zest marinade (right, we had lamb today). That's why I have a problem with gourmand scents. And Ambre Narguilé is clearly a gourmand scent. The first breath is rum, vanilla, cinnamon, the second breath: even more rum, vanilla, cinnamon. I can well understand the association with apple strudel, although for me this fragrance does not smell fruity at all. But such a real apple strudel doesn't smell primarily like apples, but like caramelized sugar, cinnamon, rum raisins (with me with MUCH rum!) and vanilla, so it fits again somehow. But Ambre Narguilé can do much more: It is also resinous and has in my nose a hint of a bitter sharpness. An irresistible mixture of sweet, cuddly, resinous and spicy. In the process it loses for me the strong rum-vanilla-cinnamon note, becomes resinous-vanilla-moschusig and pleases me from hour to hour ever better.
And I, who make a giant bow around gourmand scents and only tested the Hermes scent because it came to me as a sample and I am incorrigibly curious, have to admit it: The scent has converted me - it's a smooth 10 for me! And if there was an elf, it would be an elf or a dozen points. However, the scent does raise a question for me: Would I really wear it like that in the wild? Would I really be comfortable smelling that way? And that brings me back to my headline: Is that a sensationally good smell for me, but not a portable scent? Nevertheless, I am so fascinated by Ambre Narguilé that I plan to get myself a bottle. Because like now, when I'm lolling on the bed, outside the thunderstorm rages, I can't imagine anything I'd rather smell!
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Golden Autumn
To me AN is one of the most charming scents ever. It warms up my heart during the fall and winter. Beautiful apple pie saturated with cinnamon. Honeyed narghile tobacco.These are the images AN presents me. Lovely, sweet, oriental, soft, calming and comforting. It really reminds me of Brecourt - Haram (Farah). Unfortunately too expensive for me at this moment.
Atypical, J.C. Ellena's charming work made to make the autumn golden.

Rating: 9/10
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Pioneer, elegant,warm,lovely.....also expensive.
This fragrance is lovely. From the moment you smell it you find that sweet,warm and amazing honey-tabacco-vanilla-greyamber-amber......absolutly stunning. It is sweet but in gentle way.Is not overwhelming.....many others have copied this fragrance in one way or another. Ones succesfully, others forgettable. Daniel Josier with Ambre Tabac did a great job. Oajan, Herod, Tobacco Vanille......all are great.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10
Sweet amber spiced tobacco...
Ambre Narguilé by Hermès is a very warm, comforting, cozy fragrance that manages to walk the line between heavy and light. It's quite well balanced, like all of Jean-Claude Ellena's creations for the Hermèssence line.

It opens with a dry smoky combination of cinnamon, tobacco, coumarin and toasted sesame seeds... which is soon enveloped by caramel and a gorgeous amber accord which, although not listed in the notes, is actually a combination between labdanum & vanilla. I would say it can be sweet to some people, but to me it's not that sweet. I think it has enough dry tobacco and other "dry" spices to stop it becoming too sweet or cloying. Again, like all Jean-Claude Ellena creations, this one has a sheet, transparent quality.

What I admire about his work (especially in the Hermèssence line), is that he always pairs together ingredients which compliment each other... that end up working really well. In this case, it's amber and tobacco (of course this is a very popular combination), but here he focuses on the dry aspects of amber and even though a lot of "gourmand" notes have been added to accentuate the sweetness of the amber (caramel, rum, toasted sesame seeds), there is still a "light" and "airy" quality to it. This makes sense, because the name "Narguilé" refers to a middle eastern tobacco water pipe, where otherwise heavy tobacco is diffused in water scented with fruits or spices, so it doesn't smell like the typical, burn-the-back-of-your-throat tobacco you get from cigarette smoke. Instead it's quite sheer, and light. I'll be honest, I don't really get warm tobacco smoke out of this, rather a dry, spiced tobacco... maybe scented with dried fruits (much like the hookah, or as I call it, the Shisha pipe).

I think that, again this is an example of Ellena's mastery of control and subtlety in fragrance composition, and out of the many of the Hermèssence line I find this one almost worth the price, because the longevity and projection here is actually more significant than many of the delicate, yet watery compositions that Ellena has made for the rest of the series). If you love it, and money is no problem, you will buy it. I would say if you are the type of person who likes sweet yet slightly spicy scents (but with complexity) then try this one out. Although I am a huge amber fan, there are other ambers which I prefer over this, although that is a personal choice, so I wouldn't call this my "perfect" amber. But it's worth the price for what you get. Again, most of the Hermèssence line fragrances are to appreciated more as art than as something actually "wearable", but out of the many I've tried... I think this is the one that would please people the most. If you love more sweet and less spicy, this is definitely one to try.
Nice, but way overpriced
The opening of Ambre Narguile is all about thick, balmy honeyed resins and Oriental notes of tonka and spices, bringing in a feel of dandified powderiness à la Jaipur Homme, just blending it with the golden, boozy and sweet warmth of the rhum-cinnamon accord. Musky notes on the base. No amber to me, but it does have a warm smoky feel which may remind that smell. And... well, that’s it. Quite a simple scent, basically a gourmand-powdery-spicy galore, much linear and fairly heavy, which to be really honest becomes quite soon a bit boring to me. It smells “quality” for sure – and I mean good quality, not “interstellar quality” - and both tonka-powder fans and resins-gourmand fans will probably like this, still I feel something is just missing here. It’s... nice. And nothing more than that. Too “simply” nice, too generic for that incredibly expensive price. Think of any Oriental powdery-spicy scent, that will be likely a good alternative to this. A really decent “hippie bourgeois” fragrance which may easily fit Les Néréides or Boucheron range and similar brands (which I deeply respect; but they cost a fraction of this).

6/10
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Hermessence Ambre Narguilé
This fragrance opens with an accord I cannot describe but gourmand. I smell cinnamon, caramel, vanilla and stewed fruit altogether, reminding me very much of home-made Apfelstrudel. Once the whirlwind of gourmand notes has settled, a high-pitched but not unpleasant vanilla note leads the other notes in a linear development that lasts for many hours. As the fragrance progresses, the pastry image fades and it becomes clear that everything was an olfactory illusion made of inedible spices, flowers and resins. This fragrance has excellent projection and — although a true comfort scent and undoubtedly exceedingly pleasant — should be applied sparingly.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 6.0/10
Apple Pie Anyone?...
Ambre Narguile opens with a sweet cinnamon apple pie accord. It uses honey as the key sweetener to my nose, with hints of ginger, incense and amber. The amber, of course, grows and becomes the star of the scent retaining the initial sweetness and spice throughout to the point of the scent being a straight baked goods gourmand with a mild tobacco undertone. Ambre Narguille is a very smooth linear minimalist scent that is natural smelling and well-blended. Projection and longevity are both above average.

This is my favorite scent from the Hermessence line, but that is not saying much. It is very pleasant smelling, and gourmand lovers (I am not one) should certainly try it out. I am disappointed personally because Jean-Claude Ellena is capable of so much more than this overly simplistic creation. I know he is the master of minimalism, but at the price tags this whole line go for I expect so much more than this (and like I said, the others in the line I like even less). Good but not great, and highly overpriced, IMO. I give Ambre Narguile a "good" rating of 3 to 3.5 stars out of 5, but a 1 out of 5 for value. Definitely try this one first before shelling out the dough for this pricey apple pie.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
aoe
Pleasureful Plum Plentyness
Rum, coumarines, labdanum, and tonka beans for some - for me this enchanting gourmand smells particularly of the plum dishes of my childhood - mushed, fried, with dumplings ...

One Austrian specialty, actually probably originally Hungarian, is Powidl - plums slowly cooked for many hours, according to some recipies up to a week, in an earthen pot, spreading a heavenly aroma of caramelised fruit. This is what I'm getting from Ambre Narguilé, together with a dash of the appropriate spices - cinnamon, a few cloves, cardamom and a whiff of wintery incense complete this wonderful Ambre.

To me, this is a holiday scent with the power to brighten the darkest of days.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Sumptuous Labdanum Amber
This is my second felicitous testing encounter with AMBRE NARGUILE (made possible by a generous fellow fragrance traveller), and my enthusiasm has not abated in the least. I was struck by the Tom Fordesque quality of this composition back when I first wore it, and I feel the same way today. Thick, golden, and viscous, this sort of elixir is right up my alley! The labdanum and benzoin lusciousness of this composition pull me right in. Is it too sweet, as some maintain? Well, not to me. Maybe I've sniffed too many celebrity orientals of late?

AMBRE NARGUILE is not the spiciest amber perfume around, and I do not believe that it contains ambergris—this seems to me to be labdanum amber, not the petrified concretions expelled from the intestines of sperm whales (which in any case figures in very few perfumes today, as far as I know...). But this is a shimmering layer of gold! It's clearly time that I acquired at least a purse spray of this wonderful composition. Great longevity and detectable but not obnoxious projection.

by ChatonNoir
by Thecombad
by Gwiazdka72
by Gwiazdka72

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès