Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan 2005

Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan by Hermès
Bottle Design Alnoor Design
Hermessence Osmanthe Yunnan is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is fresh-floral. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesOrange, Tea
Heart Notes Heart NotesFreesia, Osmanthus
Base Notes Base NotesApricot, Leather

Submitted by Sani, last update on 16.03.2021.

GoldGoddess
Expensive Hermès leather saddle, gone with the wind...
A many milliondollar-worth, gorgeous Arabian horse (called Osmanthus of course) have been meticulously groomed all day to prepare for the contest. He has been washed with apricot-scented precious tea, specially purchased in Yunnan for this purpose. And his hair have been washed with hand-made freesia shampoo too. He just got the most expensive cognac-coloured Hermes saddle on. And before you could even smell it, off he went, disappearing like a dream that has started so nice, you wish it could last. All you remember is his gentle, soft, velvety nose. But it was just a dream, you wonder if it even ever existed...
Tea Essence
A few days ago, thanks to the dear Joerdis, my long awaited second bottle finally moved in. Since the Hermessencen are not so easy to get, I was all the happier.

Osmanthe Yunnan is for me also such a typical perennial, but especially in spite of its rather simple structure.
The orange directly plays out its fresh fruity note in a very natural way, the black tea underlines it skilfully and adds a tart spice.
As far as osmanthus is concerned, I am not sure that I can judge it correctly. Although I have thought in various scents that I could perceive the "typical" osmanthus note, I fear that I might confuse this with the "typical" osmanthus note, because it is probably generally considered sweet? May I be corrected. I had assigned it rather woody.
I don't think the OY is cute. In any case, this fragrance also has a green and woody note in the base, which harmonizes wonderfully with the fresh orange and tea, grounding the fragrance as it progresses and giving the orange a slightly citrusy tinge. I do not smell leather.
It makes me feel well-groomed, elegant and grounded.
Sillage is quite close to the body, the durability at least partially better than many of my other scents.

I will also guard this bottle and use it sparingly, because the Hermessencen are not exactly snappery!
Unobtrusive, discreet, minimalist.
Most of the time I can only admire the works of Mr. Ellena from a distance, but with Osmanthe Yunnan it is different. A very interesting fragrance, which I find pleasantly clear and compact. It seems manageable and clearly defined, but at the same time it shimmers and presents its scents in different light. Exciting. I have experienced Osmanthe Yunnan today as pleasantly bright and also mood-lifting and that is not surprising, since aromatherapy attributes exhilarating, inspiring qualities to Osmanthus, which is used to scent tea. I can understand the scents listed here in retrospect, but I do not find the leather as such, the soft-sweet apricot impression with what I perceived as a bitter green, however, rudimentarily reminded me of a very soft suede, or rather of a very weakened Bottega Veneta.
Augusto
Just dreaming? A hint of a hint of tea-leather flower!
a hint of sweetness, a hint of freshness, a hint of flower, a hint of apricot, a hint of tea.
Generously applied, a dream of a breath that surrounds the wearer. Soon something slightly bitter is added, a hint of leather, the black tea attracts minimally in perceptibility.

After about an hour and a half, the scent warms up on the skin and it becomes more material, gets a little more body. One has the impression that teain and tannic acid combine the ethereal olfactorily to an almost fruity, still lovely but not quite so translucent scent. Nevertheless, it is of course still completely transparent and pastel. But you notice more clearly a teen note and leather. That's relatively close here. The transitions are very fluid, the scent is watercoloured with a light brush, fluttering in the wind like a scarf. Approx. 4 hours it keeps like this at AugustA.

And then a slight but decisive change in the texture of the fragrance for my nose.
With a surprisingly soft transition, it becomes a sensually warm leather fragrance, light apricot, cuddly, with a leather and skin note that now fades away particularly beautifully. Delicately fruity, flowery, leathery, for painting over. If only he'd stayed that way!
5.5

Nice but.......
Osmanthe Yunnan is a nice subtle scent that will not offend anyone. It starts with a nice fruit smell of sorts, apricots & oranges pave the way with a lingering note of tea. Leather??? HA! This is a very nice aroma that conjures up memories of sitting in my great granny's backyard looking at the garden where she grew fruits & things as such.

The problem that I have with this fragrance is that it does not project much at all, nor is the lasting power good. It is almost average... I can say that this is one of the fragrances I do not care for from this line, while being nice & inoffensive, it lacks the POWER I would like & appreciate with a fragrance. Natural smell, great ingredients all creates a piss poor longevity concoction. Not full bottle worthy, I'll pass.
Why????????
...I wonder almost desperately: Why are the fragrances that I like the most, often the ones that don't want to stay with me? Which I'd like to enjoy for hours to determine after two or three hours: Where'd you go, you lovely breeze? Has it blown you away yet? That's exactly how I feel about Osmanthe Yunnnan. And yet I don't regret buying it for a second. Because the lightness, freshness, balance, elegance and swing of "Osmanthe Yunnan" inspire me every time I apply the fragrance.
Osmanthe begins with a fresh but delicate orange. There's nothing bitter, nothing intrusive, no components to distract. One smells a wonderful, freshly cut orange ripened on the tree. It is also not sweet, but has only a noble fruity warmth. At the same time you smell the tea - for me it smells like a very mild black tea. Also here: nothing bitter, no component pushes itself forward. The Osmanthus and the wonderful fragrance-free flowers, which unfortunately disappear more and more from the flower shops and which - also because of their fragrance - belonged to my favourite flowers in my childhood and youth and which absolutely had to be in my bridal bouquet!
Now I reach the limits of my olfactory perception, because neither the apricot nor the leather that others perceive, I can sniff. For me, leather is the leather in "Bottega Veneta" that is unmistakable and unambiguous. At Osmanthe Yunnan I only smell a little bit bitter, but I would have thought that the tea would become clearer now.
And then comes the moment that makes me despair a little every time: Where did it disappear to, this beautiful, clear scent work of art. Osmanthe Yunnan left me much too early - even if I scented my scarf additionally. Normally I would say heretical, but there is the 15 ml version, because you can put it so well in your handbag to re-foam yourself about six or seven times a day. But honestly, that's a real wasteful luxury!
Osmanthe Yunnan creates something unique for me: it is a very simple, minimalist fragrance - and yet it doesn't seem simple or even clumsy. It is perfectly built and harmonious down to the last detail.
An anecdote at the end: The saleswoman in the Hermès boutique winked conspiratorially at me and whispered: "Actually, I'm not supposed to do this at all" - and then sprayed "Osmanthe Yunnan" together with "Rose Ikebana" on a ribbon of fragrance. I had to gasp for air: I lay out with enthusiasm, but with these two perfect fragrances I would never have thought of even considering it! And behold: The newly created fragrance has actually become a new little work of art in its own right......

Ephemeral majesty
Osmanthe Yunnan opens with a really vibrant, yet gentle watercolour blend of thin, lively, slightly sour and quite realistic green notes with a subtle fruity flavour and a juicy sweeter heart (tea), fruity-sugary accents (apricot) and a light, but drier base accord mostly comprising suede and something earthy. A minimalistic “haiku”, expressing Ellena’s talent at his best: a graceful, perfectly harmonic, terribly refined miniature painting with a really few notes and a palpable feel of calm, a rarefied, bright, icy transparency reminding you of a cold, but sunny winter morning. A subtle powdery-sweet accord provide some sense of colorful warmth. Not much else to describe, as Osmanthe Yunnan is really more a silent, intimate and cozy harmony of green-to-white nuances on a darker shade of suede (and perhaps something woody). Really delicate - perhaps too much, and more than ephemeral; but fantastic until it lasts.

7,5-8/10

MasterLi
A lovely, warm, natural floral...
A really lovely fragrance which captures the nuances of the osmanthus plant, and gives the impression of hot tea. It's a very warm fragrance, and I think this comes from the apricot mixed with the osmanthus itself (osmanthus flower is purported to smell like apricots and Ellena often uses similar note pairings to enhance the effect of a single note). He has paired the apricot with the osmanthus in the same way that he paired liquorice with lavender and other similar combinations.

The tea and freesia make the fragrance light and airy, with a tang of orange and hint of leather which blends really well with the skin. Overall I like it, and do get the impression of China with this. For example drinking tea in a Chinese garden in Yunnan surrounded by osmanthus bushes. Or equally a cup of osmanthus tea. I think that is the impression I get from this. A floral fragrance of unmistakable quality, yet as with all Hermessence creations, this one stays close to the skin. Worth trying for sure!

MissBiscuitsMissBiscuits 9 months ago
went through two bottles of this - an unprecedented feat and since then unduplicated. exorbitant and ephemeral. couldn't ever get enough.

by Smellie13
by Taamii
by Fran
by Fran

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès