Hermessence Rose Ikebana (2004)

Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès
Bottle Design: Alnoor Design
Hermessence Rose Ikebana is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2004. The scent is floral-fresh. It is still in production.

Fruits, Spices, Cassia, Musk, Orange, Rose, Tea, Lemon, Rhubarb

Submitted by Sani, last update on 14.09.2019

Martine
Are you my new number one?
I recently received a sample of Rose Ikebana's scent. Rose Ikebana is one of the few Hermessence fragrances that I have consistently ignored in the past. Because I don't like rose scents. And an unconcentrated test in a Hermes store in Frankfurt years ago left me with the impression of a watery, light rose water. I own and love Osmanthe Yunnan and Cuir d´ange and I was so far sure that the rose will never reach this level.

But sometimes it's different than you think. I sprayed a sample on it, didn't have any expectations. But suddenly, sitting at a wine bar, a stunningly gentle breath of hardly anything more than nothing rose into my nose. What the hell was that? Warm skin, that was my first thought. Somehow round and full, and at the same time fresh and slightly spicy. Simply fragrant!

I needed a moment to understand. So this is Jean Claude Ellena's rose tea arrangement! Brilliant! Both components were distinguishable by an exact "smell". But it felt as if the aromatic tea was darkening the rose over the course, taking away the sweetish-rose and giving it something slightly spicy. Anyway, it seemed as if he suddenly wrapped her in a gossamer warm veil. The overall result was not really "rosy", but rather material-silky. I felt like I could gently touch the scent. I was just so carried away. What a beautiful Ikebana!

A few days later I went to the office with the remaining droplets on my skin. A colleague asked me promptly what I smell like. Well, and then there was no stopping. Now I own two 15ml bottles of Rose Ikebana and don't think it can be ruled out that this fragrance will eventually become my number 1 in the Hermessence series. It is even more harmonious on the skin and "fuller" than Osmathe Yunnan, whose tea-flower-mixture sometimes unfolds in a slightly "scratchy" way. Compared to Ellena's masterpiece and the second skin scent of the series he seems even more subtle to me. And it is less prone to nicks, after all, leather, even if it is as velvety as the angelic scent, is not everyone's cup of tea.

By the way, one reads from time to time that Un jardin sur le Toit has a certain resemblance to Rose Ikebana. I think that's true, but it only reveals itself in the beautiful middle and final part of the jardin when the musk starts to play and the completely wacky compost notes emerge. A nice alternative for all who don't want to go straight to the top!

A last sentence on durability. I've got the rose there for up to 10 hours. As with the other Ellena-Hermessencen, the fragrance is not as intense, but at least with me it is perceptible for a long time. Stillage is very close to the body, anything else would make the fragrance in its core something else!

10.0 6.0 6.0 10.0/10

Duftsucht
Tea, tea, you alone, shall be the scent of my heart!
Yes, I know, an extremely disrespectful headline for this delicate, enchanting, unique fragrance! On the way to Venice (where I became a victim of "The Merchant of Venice") we unfortunately had a very short stay at Munich Airport - if you ask my scent nose or thank God - if you look at the account balance. On the way to the next gate, the path led practically directly through the Hermès shop. With a cheerful "lasts only a minute" I took a short turn and - oh miracle - my two sons followed me. This can only be attributed to my surprise attack that there was no resistance. And - even greater wonder - the two of them were spontaneously thrilled by two fragrances: Osmanthe Yunnan and Rose Ikebana. Rose Ikebana has been on my "absolutely at the next opportunity" testing list since I read Leimbacher's commentary triggering all my low "that's what I want to smell - and immediately" instincts. And what shall I say: Every word he wrote is true, as true as my name is Fragrance.
I also love "Eau de Pamplemousse Rose" and "Rhubarbe Écarlate" despite or exactly because of their tender volatility and restraint. But compared to "Rose Ikebana" they are like comparing two small trolls with an ethereal elf. "Rose Ikebana" is an idealized rose scent, a strictly minimalistic tea breeze and an abstract citrus note woven into a beautiful overall perfume work of art. The name fits perfectly. "Ikebana", the meditative art of bringing a few flowers together with selected materials into a perfectly balanced balance - this is "Rose Ikebana" in perfume form.
I must confess: In an acute attack of olfactory insanity, I probably would have taken "Rose Ikebana" and "Osmanthe Yunnan" in the normal size with me. Fortunately for our family travel budget, however, my husband was at my side, who had the four times 15 ml pack filled with two pieces each of "Rose" and "Osmanthe" in Solomon-like fashion. And the nice lady who had advised me and who had eaten a fool out of my two boys and my husband, who stood by me as perfume consultants, also provided me with some other scent samples of the Hermessence series, which, how could it be otherwise, let my rapture skyrocket to undreamt-of heights. I swear: NEVER has a visitor smelled better on Venice's Touri-Paths....
PS: It's a good thing that my husband kept me to reason: Because we successfully converted the virtual "savings" into "Merchant of Venice" scented addictive substances before the return flight from Venice!
5.0 5.0 7.5 10.0/10

MasterLi
A sparkling rose... wrapped in sheer, soft silk.
This fragrance has a truly beautiful smell to it. I really love Rose in all forms and this one is just exquisite!

Rose Ikebana is inspired by the texture of Silk, and the Japanese art of flower arrangement (Ikebana). As usual, Jean-Claude Ellena lends his unique style to this composition by accenting the Rose note with Grapefruit citrus and tangy Rhubarb, with a light Green Tea note in the background surrounded with bright citrus throughout.

In my opinion this is a Rose perfume for people who don't like Rose so much! Another thing I love about what Ellena has done here is that he has made it so light and refreshing that you don't get tired of smelling it. It is constantly fascinating and drawing you closer. A lot like his other creation "Iris Ukiyoé" (another one inspired by Japan). But whereas that one was the smell of Iris surrounded by bright citrus, this one is a sparkling Rose. Fresh and uplifting! Fantastic stuff.

Fabirss 10 months ago
Lovely fragrance. If only it lasted for more than one hour I'd happily get a bottle of it. But it doesn't. Such a shame.+1

by Baptiste
by Taamii
by ScentedSalon
by ScentedSalon

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Twilly d'Hermès by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès