Kelly Calèche 2007 Eau de Toilette

Kelly Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès
Bottle Design Philippe Mouquet
Kelly Calèche (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Hermès for women and was released in 2007. The scent is floral-leathery. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruitGrapefruit
Lily of the valleyLily of the valley
NarcissusNarcissus
Heart Notes Heart NotesRoseRose
TuberoseTuberose
MimosaMimosa
Base Notes Base NotesIrisIris
LeatherLeather

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 24.10.2021.

Sassy Rose
I had both, and although they are equally nice I do prefer the EDT to the EDP.

In the latter the rose and violet and mimosa notes are more prominent, the powdery finish they gift the leather with is therefore heavier. And I don't like much rose in my perfumes, it got me bored to death in scents.

In the EDT the grapefruit is a constant presence throughout to drydown, which makes the fragance less evening scent, and more day wear. Also, the leather is subtler though persistent. For me a definite better combo, much more uplifting and delicate.

Kelly is uber classy, sophisticated and the epitome of grace. I absolutely love the EDT.
Longevity and sillage are worth every penny for this summery winner. Not a winter scent, it doesn't perform as well in cold or wet climates.

Sweet Memories
This is my VERY FIRST fragrance ever.
When I was like 13.. I asked my mom to buy me a cologne. She probably thought typical masculines might be too hard for me to wear so she bought me this. Back then I had no clue this was marketed to women so I wore it to school anyways.

Grape fruit, that's how I remembered it. It was extremely refreshing and pleasant upon spray. I remember I would spray it 4 times under my zipped school uniform jacket. Around late morning during classes or whatever, I would pull my jacket and dig my nose into it and take a SUPER DEEP INHALE.

All I remember is that this fragrance really provided me with a heavenly comfort. a sweetness that is just so incredibly cozy during stressful classes LOL.

It's been so many years since I last worn it. Now I dig fourgeres and chypres like Platinum Egoiste, and Bel Ami etc..

But this special fragrance will never be replaced. What a friend of a scent to me.
Note wise...all I remember is grapefruit and a very comforting floral sweetness. I can't smell any leather whatsoever, maybe the new formulations are different
The exception
Everybody has his or her own scents, which he or she simply "cannot stand", which can spoil the most beautiful scent and already when studying the pyramid of scents of a promising test candidate, prepare for caution and let the enthusiasm dwindle noticeably.
For me, lily of the valley is such a red cloth as soon as it exceeds a certain intensity. This aversion is so strong that I didn't even need a longer study of perfume to identify it, Lily of the Valley and I - necessary
I got Kelly Caleche under my nose right at the beginning of my perfume time. I can't remember whether I bought the sample deliberately or received it as an addition, but I do remember that after the first test I immediately realized that this fragrance was definitely not for me. Lily of the valley overkill, after that the rose could be as beautiful as she wanted - simply necessary
This could be the end of the commentary, but it is not.

Because the sample did not end up in the trash, of course, but in the sample box - which can probably be found in every perfume household. Collection point for everything that comes into your house in terms of samples and bottlings and which meets with little or no enthusiasm or at least indifference. At very irregular intervals I am seized, the box is "rammed through" once and I give some fragrances a second chance. Although, since it doesn't matter to the scents whether I like them or not, I give a second chance to myself.

So Kelly came to me after a long time again, but with the same result - it doesn't work - nö remains nö.

Some time ago I put my test focus on leather. The fact that crisp saddle leather fresh from the tanner is not my cup of tea will not and need not change, but finding a suede sweetheart would be nice. And so when I searched the perfume pages for the best-of-best-of suede, Kelly Caleche inevitably appeared on the radar again. ("Didn't I have another sample then? That was the stuff that didn't work. On the other hand, if it's still there, so what... ") In fact, the sample was still there. And in fact, there's always an exception to the rule.
Because this time - no, I did not find the scent immediately super great, no, this time I did not find the top note so unbearable. Actually rather interesting. Very interesting. And above all, it was quite short and from the heart note on this great rose developed. Fresh, but not cold. A really warm rose scent, which nevertheless comes without oud or vanilla, doesn't swing a patchouli owl and doesn't seem a bit (too) clean.

Was the sample tilted? Or my nose?
A bottling definitely had to be done here. Despite Murphy's law ("There are never the fragrances available in the souk, which you really HAVE to test right now"), I got a bottling from a nice perfuma on request (thanks again at this point!).
And the following intensive test showed that on the one hand the sample had really lost some of its effervescence but on the other hand my nose can also cope with lily of the valley. Strictly speaking, the lily of the valley lost its dominance with every further test, but now I perceive the top note quite differently. Here is "the truth" about Kelly Caleche:

The fragrance starts out cyphrig-bitter, very mature in that sense and for a short moment also quite intense. The slightly bitter base note (probably grapefruit) is clearly perceptible, but as a pleasant kick, a "scent", so to speak. To me this bitter note - whether it is grapefruit or not - is already wild leathery
Relatively quickly the intensity of the top note fades out again and merges into the heart note as a (leathery) base note. Here the rose clearly dominates my nose, as already mentioned, fresh, unsoapy and not a bit bitchy and undercooled, as fresh rose can often be for me. I assume that the tuberose and mimosa mentioned in the fragrance pyramid provide the background warmth that makes the fragrance so fascinating to me. However, I cannot smell these two directly out.

There is no direct transition to the base, so the rose gradually fades out and leaves the suede to take precedence. I cannot see iris in the base, at least not iris of the usual fresh or even carrotlike kind. I perceive the base as pure suede in the most beautiful sense and as very long-lasting.

Depending on the amount of spray, the sillage should be in the middle range. In my opinion, Kelly is a fragrance that you wear for yourself and your neighbours, not a party crasher. A fragrance that wraps you in a warm, fragrant aura, but doesn't leave a veil over four floors. I have noticed that suede is more prominent on my skin, while on clothes the rose is more prominent
The durability is with approx. 4 h to basic basic tone for an EdT very tidy, one can perceive the smell at oneself for a long time and let it slowly fade away or also spray on without problems, without unwanted "duplication effects".

Kelly Caleche is definitely a fragrance that will be remembered, definitely stands out from the current sweet-oudig-eatable scent scheme and definitely has what it takes to become a signature scent.

In my opinion, Kelly is suitable and wearable for all occasions and also across seasons. I will find out if she can be worn in midsummer as well.
Because Kelly Caleche has now moved in with me as a bottle. I owed her that much

Vintage '50s Calf Leather Gloves
Kelly Caleche has to be up there in my top five favourite fragrances. Very often, I think it is my favourite. So please bear with me because my review is so very, very biased!

I had always liked rose, but had never considered that it could be the perfect complement to soft buttery leather. Here in Kelly Caleche we find such a partnership made in heaven. I think it is true to say that one needs to have a love of lily of the valley and iris to fully enjoy Kelly Caleche. However, if one isn't a particular fan of the difficult tuberose, do not despair! The tuberose in Kelly Caleche isn't urinous or fecal as it can be in some perfumes. It gives a floral depth to the rose and lily of the valley but never overpowers them. I cannot say that I can smell any narcissus, but the grapefruit is a particularly well blended note here. It gives a slight tart sourness that tempers the floral notes to ensure that Kelly Caleche never becomes too sweet.

What about the leather, I hear you ask. Imagine a beautiful soft calf leather glove, perhaps a vintage pair from that elegant era, the 1950s. A strong, yet beautifully feminine woman is wearing them and in her hands is a small posy of velvety pink roses. As you bend to take in the aroma of the luxurious blooms you cannot but notice the slightly animalic leather fragrance blends seamlessly along with them.

Kelly Caleche is a strong, independent woman confident in her own femininity.

Open Sack of Flour in a Livery--I Guess...
After a five-second citrus opening, KELLY CALECHE rounds out into a lasting powdery lightly floral-leather layer. I was pleasantly surprised to encounter a detectable leather note in this edt, having recently reviewed a couple of fragrances that claimed to contain a leather note but which was too faint for my nose. On the other hand, KELLY CALECHE does not come even close to, say, CABOCHARD, the leather note of which is rather drastic.

KELLY CALECHE is a fine quasi-linear lightly leathered powdery scent, which smells to my nose as I imagine an open sack of flour in a livery would smell. Although this fragrance is not at all complex, the suedish-leather note makes it stand out from the crowd--I definitely cannot think of anything that smells even vaguely reminiscent of KELLY CALECHE. The only question, then, is: do I really want to smell like this? I think that in my rather rare leather moods I may prefer the complexity of MISS BALMAIN or even the bluntness of (reformulated) CABOCHARD.

Although I do not find KELLY CALECHE to be disagreeable, I rarely reach for the 15ml purse spray of this perfume which I acquired after my initial testing, so a full bottle does not lie in my future.

Mr Ellena creates a new fragrance genre: Pink Leather
Kelly Caleche is quite strange. To my nose, it's a harsh leather scent with pink floral undertones.

I find it quite consistent in being a blend of both softness and sharpness. I applaud Jean-Claude Ellena for being so daring in his approach, however this blend leaves me a little dumbfounded.

I find myself being rather drawn to it, yet its occasional hints of masculine soapiness turns me off it slightly. Especially towards the drydown however, the soapiness vanishes and is replaced with a delicate and feminine powderiness.

Hermes creations often have a very distinguishable vegetal quality in their fragrances. I initially thought that this quality was absent in Kelly Caleche, yet I must admit I was wrong and that the vegetal smell comes across rather strongly with the leather in the opening. I can't say I'm a fan of this smell.

While the leather in Kelly Caleche is mild when compared to the likes of Gres Cabochard and Robert Piguet's Bandit, it is certainly present and quite loud alongside the florals. The longevity is wonderful I must say, and this is for the EDT version.

Overall, I recommend Kelly Caleche based on its uniqueness, however for those that like leather scents to be highlighted by woods rather than flowers, I'd probably skip this.

Caleche sur le Nil?
It makes no sense to me, but this smells almost exactly like Hermes Un Jardin sur le Nil on me. It's a lotus/reed aquatic smell like sur le Nil with just a hint of iris/leather. I double-checked the notes and they really don't overlap that much. I sprayed them on side by side and they're almost identical on me. I think the Kelly Caleche suits me a bit better because the iris/leather facet is kind of grounding to the otherwise very aquatic scent. Either of them would be suitable for summertime business wear - I can easily imagine them with a linen suit. Lovely and cooling. (050309)

The Iris Triad
Irises are well known for their Cold sharpness of scent and Poised Elegance of Flora, But what i'm about to discover that Irises like Roses can have a
Varity of Textures and Volume ;Ie Dior's Midnight Poison to Pale Rose of Chloe eau de Parfume,
The Fragrances of Hiris, Kelly Caleche & The thrid
Prada's Infusion d,Iris Is sort of a Trilogy All three are not alike but what they all have in common
Irises and the personality of each Perfume,

Kelly Caleche is the Middle Child of the Iris Family
Not as Autocratic Like The cold and steely Hiris
But a bit more dolled up then the Casual and Earthier
Artisan Sister of Prada's D'iris, If Hiris is the ice
Princess of the Irises And Infusion is the
Earthier Side Kelly is the Fire that tries to break
the Inner surface of the icy Muse A Woman who years for Adventure and yet Keeping her Refindness Kelly Calche Balances Out,

The Opening starts off with the vigor of Lemon then The centerpiece of this scent is the Iris Note brings an air of Old World Elegance of Musty Leather bound Books aged by time Green Tea Steeping to the senses Conjours images of Haughty Dowergers sipping Tea on 18th century Antiques, Rose adds a Lady-likeGentilness Suble and yet Definded it stands on it's own with the Dominate notes Kelly Ends with
finest of Leather Not Synthitic Just pure Leather

by Sherapop
by Goldlola
by Goldlola

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès