Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver 2018

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-citrusy. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

Vetiver, Sichuan pepper, Bergamot

Submitted by M3000, last update on 18.01.2021.

Oud? Charred wood?
Although not in the pyramid, I smell oud, the oud I can (no longer) smell every day in the subway on my way to the office, the kind that must be contained by every modern fragrance, otherwise...
Bursche
Merci beaucoup, Madame Nagel!
The first time I sprayed him, he didn't speak to me at all. Much too confused were fruity citric, wiry sweet-grass and the typical earthy basic tone of TdH (maybe it is this tone, which is called "flint" in the original EdT?), independently next to each other, actually only causing confusion and forming a single disharmony. Courageously I had sprayed this one before the start of an office working day. So I set off with one or two fears about how this olfactory chaos would be received in the office.
Admittedly, I haven't been dealing with perfume for too long - so now I should get to know what a successful drydown means: The irritatingly buzzing "scent strands" weave together within about 45 minutes to form a harmonious whole, a more mature, serious business tdH. And now I suddenly liked the scent bombastically! Thank you, Mrs. Nagel, for this terrific fragrance experience!
For someone with self-confidence (vetiver will always have its rough edges), it's definitely wearable in the office (by the way, the fragrance lasts a good day at work with three sprayers), once you've gotten through the first few minutes. I wouldn't wear the fragrance in summer, autumn and spring are its "time to shine" I think.

Flankers
The whole Terre d'Hermes line is in my humble opinion, quality. All three previous to Eau Intense Vetiver were very good in their own way and offered something for every fan of this DNA. Here o
are my thoughts on the latest, post-Ellena release. I hope you enjoy.

Salvatore03
Masculine and distinctive vetiver scent with that certain something
Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver, like some of my perfumes, was an (unwanted) gift.
I have to be honest: personally I would not have bought it, because although I have nothing against vetiver in principle, it is not my favourite ingredient and I prefer other fragrances and scents.
But now it had been bought and given to me as a present - the return period has unfortunately expired - and so I sprayed impartially, but not with the greatest expectations, on the very special (in a positive sense) bottle, but more about that later.

And what was waiting for me? Citrus, citrus and more citrus. The very strong and distinctive, yet round and not artificial-looking bergamot is the prelude to Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver. For the first 15-20 minutes I perceive almost exclusively the "green-natural" looking bergamot, but to which I am increasingly added the vetiver, which for me is more earthy than woody. Also a certain sharpness is now perceptible thanks to the Szechuan pepper, which in my opinion is good for the fragrance and gives it that certain "pep".
After approx. 1.5-2 hours the bergamot has completely disappeared, leaving a woody, earthy vetiver, which gets a certain, but by no means biting, sharpness, perhaps also spiciness, from the Szechuan pepper.
I clearly do not perceive a real "top note-heart-note-base note composition". The persistent bergamot can perhaps be interpreted as a relatively long top note, but all in all Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a very linear scent, a dryout or something similar you "search" in vain.

In my opinion, Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a successful, citric-woody vetiver scent, in which strong vetiver has been super combined with bergamot and also gets a certain "pep" thanks to the Szechuan pepper.
Nevertheless, I give him - despite my probably positive description - only 7 points, one point I deduct because the scent is too linear and "too uncomplex", one because of the vector, which seems too earthy and not woody enough, and one because I personally miss something sweet. Whereby I would like to praise in particular the fact that all in all it is a very distinctive and masculine scent, which in my opinion not everyone can wear, since with it one is very likely to attract attention and radiate (male) authority.

For this reason, I recommend Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver at this point, especially to those who are looking for a masculine and distinctive vetiver fragrance, to those who are looking for a fragrance that combines citrus with a certain degree of pungency and a large portion of vetiver, and to those who want to exude authority (and power) - be it private or business.

The durability gets 9 points from me and the Sillage 7 points, because the scent projects 1.5 on my skin and 3 hours over one meter on my clothes and lasts / is perceptible on my skin for more than 10 hours and on my clothes almost the whole day until late evening. In my eyes this is worthy of an eau de parfum.

The bottle receives 7 points from me! The glass has an intimated "H" shape, also at the bottom. A "metal plate" with integrated sprayer is attached to the top of the glass. On the sprayer is engraved "Hermes", the cap that encloses the sprayer has to be turned to make the sprayer visible and is held in a matching brown tone. Simply a great design. Why do I still deduct three points?
The lid or closure or its rotating mechanism broke after three uses with me, so that I could no longer cover the sprayer. The fragrance was purchased new from a perfumery and not (used) from any online retailer; in my opinion, such a production error should not occur with such a designer fragrance including its price.

In summary, a masculine, distinctive and authoritative vetiver scent that accompanies the present (and powerful) man throughout the day (through the office).
Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver, because of its bergamot and peppery vetiver, I think it fits especially well in spring and autumn, for me it is too light for winter, too heavy for summer. It fits perfectly into everyday life and is well suited for school / university / work and leisure time, but for special occasions and / or going out you should count on other fragrances, because for something like this the Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is too - badly formulated - "boring" and too monotonous - it is not particularly aphrodisiacal either.
I received compliments from both sexes, but surprisingly I was increasingly approached by men who thought that I would appear "very masculine" and "more experienced" with the fragrance, women found it either pleasant or "too macho"
In this respect one should not overdo it with the dosage; 4 splashes are completely sufficient on the skin, on clothes already 2-3.

The price or the price-performance ratio is, I think, generally justified and for an average of 80€/100 ml also affordable for everyone, although it is "too uncomplex" for this price and I would expect a little more, but this is of course in the eye of the beholder.

And to briefly mention the many comparisons with Terre d'Hermès as eau de toilette and eau de parfum and the grey vetiver:
I can't make any comparisons in this respect, as I have not (yet) tested or owned any of the fragrances mentioned. Should this change, I will elaborate on this paragraph in an addendum.
Peppy one-dimensionality
You notice it right away when you spray it on, the relationship to Terre d'Hermès. But this one starts half an octave higher - tangier, more citrus-fruity. Too much of a good thing for me, because the prelude is already too one-dimensional. Quite fast it slides into peppery, the woody stays a bit in the background. A bit more wood and then the restlessness, who wins: Wood or pepper? I would imagine that would be interesting. But like this? No, too straight, too linear. I'd like to unravel the guy a little more. But what should I describe where there's nothing to unravel? Ok, durability average, radiance after 3 hours close to zero. That's about it
He who likes pepper, let him test it. Pepper's not really my thing. If it's hot, chili or ginger. Not just in the kitchen.
Flying high - falling low
Granted, my expectations were high. I have come across this fragrance several times now, it is mentioned, compared, evaluated, commented and now I have finally decided to order a sample.

Payment made, package received, unpacked and smelled... Result? So-so...

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't smell bad. But somehow, personally, he doesn't want to grab me like that. Reminds me of another form of putting green and eau sauvage. Relatively straightforward, unspectacular and simple.

Maybe I had too many expectations, or maybe I'm not living up to them. As you take it, you and I probably won't become friends in the first place
Just as others shake their heads in Encre Noir and I lovingly cough it up, I can't feel any love in Intense Vetiver.

Wrong time, wrong place. maybe five years from now
Why not?
By chance, a nice person gave me a sample of the perfume in my hand. Since I like Hermès, guess I figured why not test.
The next day it was as far as I turned the sample joyfully sprayed and laid right quickly after the it was pure joy. With me the perfume lasts all day, is very comfortable to wear. This is for me a development, a continuation that did not go wrong where the thought came " they should have left it alone"
I think I'm gonna pull the call option
Not for wimps ..
like me. And because it's so embarrassing, I try to make it short ;-)

As a fan of powerful fresh scents, this Vetiver from Hermes should be just the right thing for me. So tested a few times, not found to be optimal, but finally bought. Also because I found others like Guerlains Vetiver to be too soft, and so I specifically looked for more expressive representatives of this direction. And I found them at Hermes.

But now the BUT: because maybe I should have paid more attention to the "Intense". Here the details:

Hermes Vetiver opens with a strong bergamot that is not pointed, but deep, round and full. But right from the start the woody note of the fragrance is present with approx. 50%, which sets a dry counterpoint to its distinctive freshness, but complements it excellently. Funnily enough, the flint known from Terre d'Hermès can also be seen for about 10 minutes, but only directly on the skin and then only homeopathically ... After half an hour, the citric acid then recedes to about 40%, while the vetiver easily gains the upper hand. What one smells is a fresh, citrically interwoven dry wood, which with a good pinch of pepper produces a very linear course from the second hour onwards.

And with power. Because Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver radiates a good radiance for about 8-10 hours. I felt him sprayed the best on the chest, whereby he also goes to the shirt, which gives him the strong Sillage and lasting durability.

That's how you want a scent, isn't it? Yeah, but he's just too masculine for me. I think it is a top fragrance if you want a slightly sour, strong woodiness and you don't want to use anything in the barbershop. But even though I didn't really want to admit it, and the scent should really suit me, I couldn't really make friends with him over the months, because he was simply too concise, striking, dominant for me.

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver may be a recommendation for all those who want to underline their masculinity, but I have to do it somehow differently, because it is guaranteed

nothing for wimps ;-)
Powdery
Whoa. Great name (at least appealing to me), nice beginning. And then he develops on me powdery to the power of three. Nah - the two of us won't be friends ...
The promotion
Terre d'Hermès EdT, the original by Jean-Claude Ellena, is considered an innovative masterpiece of modern perfumery and a great sales success. However, it always enjoyed more respect than love with me, because it always had a few weak points for me. These have now been eliminated from the flanker TdH Eau Intense Vétiver and I think the result is an all-round successful and above all very masculine scent with good performance, while at the same time sticking to the basic DNA. Yes, it almost seems that it's still the same initial formula and only three additional ingredients have been added (but it doesn't work that easy).
First there was the start with the slightly rotten oranges. A good shot of bergamot has now been added, giving it a bit of grapefruit-like appearance, which is pleasantly bitter and fresh.
In the middle there was always a desolate and empty boredom for me - into which much was kept secret: from flintstone to an asphalt surface after midsummer rain. It just smelled like a lot of Iso-E Super to me. Christine Nagel has now given the thing pepper, Szechuan pepper more precisely, and the result is a powerful and persistent spice.
The end of the original was marked by cedar, so strong that one involuntarily had to think of a pencil-sharpening assistant accountant. Now, with a good shot of vetiver on it, it smells like a lot more authority. So rather head of finance and controlling.
I think the fragrance has received an amazing promotion overall. The fact that Jean-Claude Ellena reportedly gave his consent to this revision of his masterpiece shows his greatness and in no way diminishes his genius in creating the original DNA.

ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Citrusy and spicy vetiver, mossy, earthy and masculine. Dries down into a soft, fizzy soap.
ElysiumElysium 2 years ago
Just tested... it opens up with a wondrous non-orangery citrus blend, which quickly unveils woody and rooty vetiver. Unexpected pleasure!

by Rivegauche
by Rivegauche
by Salvatore03
by Salvatore03
by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès