Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver 2018

Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-citrusy. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

VetiverVetiver
Sichuan pepperSichuan pepper
BergamotBergamot

Submitted by M3000, last update on 21.10.2021.

ScentSlave
You have to like the “main Vetiver players” to like this…
… and in my opinion, it’s the best one. I had to LEARN to appreciate scents like the Guerlain, but after I “understood” the vibe, I can’t get enough of it.

I love how this one is done. Immediately after the first spritz, I got a little bit of the Guerlain vibe, but that immediately disappeared. The bergamot adds that citrus feel, and that really rounds the corners off and smooths this one out. I couldn’t stop smelling my wrist. Eventually you’ll recognize the TDH dna on the dry-down, but it’s definitely got its own vibe. I also noticed that the airborne scent is different than the one you get when you sniff skin, and that airborne scent is absolutely GORGEOUS.

The perfect scent for a confident, well educated gentleman… but the one that KNOWS HOW to get exactly what he wants, when he wants it. The CEO, or the President of the company. That’s the vibe it leaves. “Don’t mess with THAT guy, he runs the show”. Not for a youngster, or anyone lacking confidence. This scent is proud.

Performance wise, absolutely epic. A decent 3-4ft projection bubble that leaves a LASTING sillage trail that lasts an easy 8 hours. What more could you ask for? For those that say it doesn’t last, try spraying less; you probably turned off your olfactory sensors.

Matux
A TdH flanker without its DNA that is lead by the vetiver
I expected TdH's DNA but I found a composition lead by the vetiver. It softens the blend, i.e. the vetiver is not of the kind that can make one think of it being dated and the characteristic harsh, metalic notes of TDH are absent.

The drydown agrees with the overall feeling, it is quite discreet and powdery.

Sweetened vetiver
One thing in advance: with this offshoot, you should not expect a direct flanker of the well-known and popular TdH. Rather, Terre d'Hermès Intense Vétiver is an independent fragrance that has only the citrus-fresh direction in common with the namesake.
Otherwise, it is just a fairly linear Vetiver representative of the also for itself in the Hermès portfolio could be led, but otherwise would not have attracted so much attention.

But he is not only interesting for fans of TdH, but especially for all who are inclined to the subject of vetiver, but have problems with one or the other rather scratchy version. Of course, Guerlain's vetiver should be mentioned here. An absolute classic, which I myself once had in my collection, but which has been a few degrees too rough, scratchy and tart for me and was not re-bought after using up.

In contrast, this vetiver is definitely the more mainstream or more conformist variant, because it comes a little more rounded and sweetened. In addition, just a bit of peppery spice plus a neat citrus impact. It lacks the finesse of the TdH itself, but it's no crime. Critics would criticize that TdHIV is too well-behaved for a vetiver. Personally, I'm fine with that. The only minus I would note is the small amount of artificiality that resonates in this eau de parfum. Otherwise, a successful and non-inflationary refreshers for sunny spring and summer days.

And no: with my reference vetiver of Roja Dove, he can also not keep up, but that plays anyway in its own league.
Jc9
Terre in times of the home office
Was it really five years since my last comment, on Poivre Samarcande? A lot has happened in those times. Grateful that the pandemic virus has not taken away my sense of taste and smell, I hold in my hand the Eau Intense Vétiver by Terre d'Hermès.

My buddy Klaus wears the Eau de Parfum by Terre d'Hermès. I immediately wrote him a WhatsApp to ask if he already knew Eau Intense Vétiver. He didn't. In fact, he was doing almost nothing but home office work at the moment. Especially there, I wrote back, one should wear a fragrance; at work with an FFP2 mask no one gets anything out of it. You're not a farmer. He wouldn't be either. After all, he would wear pants in the home office.

The grapefruit or orange of the EdT/EdP is replaced by the bergamot in the Eau Intense Vétiver. However, the bergamot seems much more acidic-tangy than the bergamot in Equipage, for example, and also the grapefruit in the original Terre. After the dry down, it becomes less citrusy; pepper and vetiver dominate, which were nonetheless already part of the EdT. Unlike Povire Samarcande, it smells much less vegetable. The Eau Intense Vétiver is quite durable, but quickly becomes closer to the body with me.

Flanker is such an ugly name, after all, as if the fragrance can't stand on its own. It definitely can, though. Christine Nagel has reinterpreted Terre, even more linear and minimalist than her predecessor Jean-Claude Ellena, the grand master of neat linear minimalism. Eau Intense Vétiver is tidier without the flint and cedar notes, which I quite liked at first but increasingly remind me of pencils as I get older. Eau Intense Vétiver brings me back into the Terre family, having not worn a Terre fragrance for some time.

Eau Intense Vétiver smells so like business that I can also wear it well at work, not just in the home office. For this I reach at home but also more often than originally thought, to the Eau Intense Vétiver. And Klaus? Klaus wants to try Eau Intense Vétiver when the shops open again. It's also a good idea to wear pants when buying perfume.
Oud? Charred wood?
Although not in the pyramid, I smell oud, the oud I can (no longer) smell every day in the subway on my way to the office, the kind that must be contained by every modern fragrance, otherwise...
Bursche
Merci beaucoup, Madame Nagel!
The first time I sprayed him, he didn't speak to me at all. Much too confused were fruity citric, wiry sweet-grass and the typical earthy basic tone of TdH (maybe it is this tone, which is called "flint" in the original EdT?), independently next to each other, actually only causing confusion and forming a single disharmony. Courageously I had sprayed this one before the start of an office working day. So I set off with one or two fears about how this olfactory chaos would be received in the office.
Admittedly, I haven't been dealing with perfume for too long - so now I should get to know what a successful drydown means: The irritatingly buzzing "scent strands" weave together within about 45 minutes to form a harmonious whole, a more mature, serious business tdH. And now I suddenly liked the scent bombastically! Thank you, Mrs. Nagel, for this terrific fragrance experience!
For someone with self-confidence (vetiver will always have its rough edges), it's definitely wearable in the office (by the way, the fragrance lasts a good day at work with three sprayers), once you've gotten through the first few minutes. I wouldn't wear the fragrance in summer, autumn and spring are its "time to shine" I think.

Flankers
The whole Terre d'Hermes line is in my humble opinion, quality. All three previous to Eau Intense Vetiver were very good in their own way and offered something for every fan of this DNA. Here o
are my thoughts on the latest, post-Ellena release. I hope you enjoy.

Salvatore03
Masculine and distinctive vetiver scent with that certain something
Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver, like some of my perfumes, was an (unwanted) gift.
I have to be honest: personally I would not have bought it, because although I have nothing against vetiver in principle, it is not my favourite ingredient and I prefer other fragrances and scents.
But now it had been bought and given to me as a present - the return period has unfortunately expired - and so I sprayed impartially, but not with the greatest expectations, on the very special (in a positive sense) bottle, but more about that later.

And what was waiting for me? Citrus, citrus and more citrus. The very strong and distinctive, yet round and not artificial-looking bergamot is the prelude to Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver. For the first 15-20 minutes I perceive almost exclusively the "green-natural" looking bergamot, but to which I am increasingly added the vetiver, which for me is more earthy than woody. Also a certain sharpness is now perceptible thanks to the Szechuan pepper, which in my opinion is good for the fragrance and gives it that certain "pep".
After approx. 1.5-2 hours the bergamot has completely disappeared, leaving a woody, earthy vetiver, which gets a certain, but by no means biting, sharpness, perhaps also spiciness, from the Szechuan pepper.
I clearly do not perceive a real "top note-heart-note-base note composition". The persistent bergamot can perhaps be interpreted as a relatively long top note, but all in all Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a very linear scent, a dryout or something similar you "search" in vain.

In my opinion, Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is a successful, citric-woody vetiver scent, in which strong vetiver has been super combined with bergamot and also gets a certain "pep" thanks to the Szechuan pepper.
Nevertheless, I give him - despite my probably positive description - only 7 points, one point I deduct because the scent is too linear and "too uncomplex", one because of the vector, which seems too earthy and not woody enough, and one because I personally miss something sweet. Whereby I would like to praise in particular the fact that all in all it is a very distinctive and masculine scent, which in my opinion not everyone can wear, since with it one is very likely to attract attention and radiate (male) authority.

For this reason, I recommend Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver at this point, especially to those who are looking for a masculine and distinctive vetiver fragrance, to those who are looking for a fragrance that combines citrus with a certain degree of pungency and a large portion of vetiver, and to those who want to exude authority (and power) - be it private or business.

The durability gets 9 points from me and the Sillage 7 points, because the scent projects 1.5 on my skin and 3 hours over one meter on my clothes and lasts / is perceptible on my skin for more than 10 hours and on my clothes almost the whole day until late evening. In my eyes this is worthy of an eau de parfum.

The bottle receives 7 points from me! The glass has an intimated "H" shape, also at the bottom. A "metal plate" with integrated sprayer is attached to the top of the glass. On the sprayer is engraved "Hermes", the cap that encloses the sprayer has to be turned to make the sprayer visible and is held in a matching brown tone. Simply a great design. Why do I still deduct three points?
The lid or closure or its rotating mechanism broke after three uses with me, so that I could no longer cover the sprayer. The fragrance was purchased new from a perfumery and not (used) from any online retailer; in my opinion, such a production error should not occur with such a designer fragrance including its price.

In summary, a masculine, distinctive and authoritative vetiver scent that accompanies the present (and powerful) man throughout the day (through the office).
Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver, because of its bergamot and peppery vetiver, I think it fits especially well in spring and autumn, for me it is too light for winter, too heavy for summer. It fits perfectly into everyday life and is well suited for school / university / work and leisure time, but for special occasions and / or going out you should count on other fragrances, because for something like this the Terre d'Hermès Eau Intense Vétiver is too - badly formulated - "boring" and too monotonous - it is not particularly aphrodisiacal either.
I received compliments from both sexes, but surprisingly I was increasingly approached by men who thought that I would appear "very masculine" and "more experienced" with the fragrance, women found it either pleasant or "too macho"
In this respect one should not overdo it with the dosage; 4 splashes are completely sufficient on the skin, on clothes already 2-3.

The price or the price-performance ratio is, I think, generally justified and for an average of 80€/100 ml also affordable for everyone, although it is "too uncomplex" for this price and I would expect a little more, but this is of course in the eye of the beholder.

And to briefly mention the many comparisons with Terre d'Hermès as eau de toilette and eau de parfum and the grey vetiver:
I can't make any comparisons in this respect, as I have not (yet) tested or owned any of the fragrances mentioned. Should this change, I will elaborate on this paragraph in an addendum.
Peppy one-dimensionality
You notice it right away when you spray it on, the relationship to Terre d'Hermès. But this one starts half an octave higher - tangier, more citrus-fruity. Too much of a good thing for me, because the prelude is already too one-dimensional. Quite fast it slides into peppery, the woody stays a bit in the background. A bit more wood and then the restlessness, who wins: Wood or pepper? I would imagine that would be interesting. But like this? No, too straight, too linear. I'd like to unravel the guy a little more. But what should I describe where there's nothing to unravel? Ok, durability average, radiance after 3 hours close to zero. That's about it
He who likes pepper, let him test it. Pepper's not really my thing. If it's hot, chili or ginger. Not just in the kitchen.
Flying high - falling low
Granted, my expectations were high. I have come across this fragrance several times now, it is mentioned, compared, evaluated, commented and now I have finally decided to order a sample.

Payment made, package received, unpacked and smelled... Result? So-so...

Don't get me wrong, he doesn't smell bad. But somehow, personally, he doesn't want to grab me like that. Reminds me of another form of putting green and eau sauvage. Relatively straightforward, unspectacular and simple.

Maybe I had too many expectations, or maybe I'm not living up to them. As you take it, you and I probably won't become friends in the first place
Just as others shake their heads in Encre Noir and I lovingly cough it up, I can't feel any love in Intense Vetiver.

Wrong time, wrong place. maybe five years from now

MatuxMatux 2 months ago
It is all about the vetiver: it leads the blend, TdH DNA is left, somehow, behind.
KingPinKingPin 3 months ago
Sharp, dirty, acidic, an abomination. Like burnt dirty metal, like old train breaks. I absolutely hate it.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Citrusy and spicy vetiver, mossy, earthy and masculine. Dries down into a soft, fizzy soap.
ElysiumElysium 3 years ago
Just tested... it opens up with a wondrous non-orangery citrus blend, which quickly unveils woody and rooty vetiver. Unexpected pleasure!

by Rivegauche
by Rivegauche
by Salvatore03
by Salvatore03
by Zauber600
by Zauber600

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès