Terre d'Hermès (2006)Eau de Toilette

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès
Bottle Design Philippe Mouquet
Top 56 in Men's Perfume
Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Benzoin, Flintstone, Geranium leaf, Grapefruit, Orange, Patchouli, Pepper, Pink pepper, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 05.06.2020.

MisskMissk 8 years ago

„Dry orange and woods”

Terre d'Hermes is certainly a very interesting scent with many dimensions. I get a lot of woods, but also a lot of earthiness as well from smelling this. In...
ChrisdlChrisdl 21 months ago

„TH EdT doesn't agree with me”

I 've read a lot of reviews of TH, so I blind bought it (like I often do) without thinking twice about it. The opening was lovely citrus, followed by a wonderful...
Instantly convincing
the scent was already on the market for a long time, but I never had my eye on Hermes to be honest, because the scents always smelled like "old" or "old-fashioned" to me.
But in 2008 I get off the plane at Air France in Stuttgart, run my "finger" up towards the arrival terminal and all the time an "interesting" smell comes my way. Where from, there was no one before me, no one new, and in the plane I had not noticed the scent.
So what do I do, I stop and run back to the plane, towards the crowd, apologizing all the time that I forgot something. Arriving downstairs, there is only one gentleman with a high visibility vest and a radio to greet all the passengers getting off. Slowly I walk in his direction and the smell becomes more and more intense, so I summon up my courage and ask him: "Excuse me but what kind of perfume are you wearing? it drives me crazy in a good sense", he smiles at me and says, "I don't know, was in duty free earlier and tested 2 fragrances, sprayed them on his 2 wrists" so I smell like a fool on his wrists, the one I recognized immediately was Adventure by Davidoff, but the second one was unknown, not even he could tell me what one it was. So I asked him if he knew which perfumer and he already noticed that he was overwhelmed, so I asked for the impossible He said yes, and I went my way after he got my card.
Two weeks later where I had already given up hope, I received a mail with a funny subject -
* "the" scent or something...
* and behold, a photo taken with a Nokia, but it was enough to find the scent at Douglas, and yeah it was THE.

It is a heavy scent, like all of Hermes, but one that is very successful, very powerful and dominant. It is a great compliment-getter whether female or male
For the summer I find it a little difficult but if you pay attention to the dosage, it can be very sexy. I find it even better than the Eau Intense...
Love at second sight
Hello friends,

this time I want to focus on this Hermès classic. And thanks to him I know why I love this hobby so much...

When I took my very first steps about 1 year ago and started to get really interested in fragrances, I sporadically and sometimes and sometimes went into perfumeries and other department stores to sniff and test scents at random. At some point I also came across the Hermès bottles. I read "Terre d'Hermès" on several of these flacons; nice to look at in different shades of yellow and orange, simple but still chic bottles as I found them.
[...]

"Land/Earth of Hermès, hmm? What are they supposed to smell like?" I asked myself. As an upper greenhorn at that time, I couldn't imagine anything under that name (yes, at that time I really was a mega inexperienced, early 30s guy, who felt like a toddler in front of all those huge shelves and hundreds of bottles, crying and screaming for his mother in a big shopping mall).

Nevertheless, all these bottles with this mysterious and mysterious name appealed to me. "I'm sure they have something special, test them out," I thought. I took the first bottle, Terre d'Hermès EdT, sprayed a test strip with it, let the spray dwell for 2-3 seconds and smelled it... "Yuck, what's this?! Smells like an old man or dry, old meadow!" was my first thought. Immediately I threw the test strip into the bucket standing there and ignored the other Hermès bottles and moved on [...]

Well, then what's happened in the year to date? Well, I have smelled most of the designer scents at least once on a test strip; if I liked one I sprayed it on my wrist and if I liked one very much I even bought a bottle. However, after this unique experience, the name Hermès was a kind of "burned child" for me; one that I was no longer able to touch. But the emphasis is on WAR...

About a week ago I went with a buddy to a department store, because he wanted to get a fragrance (until then he didn't have one). When these charming Hermès bottles caught my eye again, I had a short flashback... (note: after this one time I never touched a Hermès fragrance again!).
Nevertheless I spontaneously took the EDT bottle again and sprayed it on my wrist... "Huh? Why do I like it this time?" I asked myself. To verify this positive impression, I sprayed my other wrist... "This can't be true, what is this great smell?!", I marveled at him and especially at myself. [...]
So I sprayed myself with 5-6 sprays in the neck and neck area and my buddy and I left the department store (Oh yes, the buddy bought himself. What do you think? Right, Dior Sauvage... *Surprise Surprise*; without my advice and of my own free will).

Directly after that we picked up his wife by car. She got in and told my buddy: "You got yourself something delicious! Let me get a closer look and smell." [...]
When my mate replied that he was not wearing any scent and his bottle was packed in the bag, I knew that I was meant well... "Well, I'm the one who sprayed himself earlier," I said, chest out... :D
[...]

Well, sometime I arrived at home and was in the meantime so enthusiastic about the scent that I ordered it directly after that [...]

The fragrance opens in fresh orange and bitter grapefruit, a very tasty and fresh opening that makes you want more. The orange in particular is in the foreground here. One immediately thinks of the sun in spring, a small allotment garden with pink flowers on trees in a melancholically beautiful little old town.
In the course of the movie, not really much later, spicy pepper is added, which however is rather subtle and discreet and is actually present until the dry-down. This is where vetiver and cedar come into play, which make up most of the base. These provide that earthy note that many might not like. The resin from the benzoin does the rest and establishes the great powdery-creamy and warm nuance in this base, which grabbed me in the end On my skin it holds strong 6-7h (with 5-6 spray bursts) and the sillage is mMn good to almost very good I would say; in the first 3h it projects super, but you also notice it well afterwards, but in gusts of wind it is simply phenomenal.
Conclusion:
I cannot explain to myself why I needed a second attempt to discover the splendour of this "Earth of Hermès". Probably my nose had simply been too "virgin" for such a rather special and in my eyes demanding, but wonderfully great fragrance.
It is a beautiful, woody-earthy classic that should not be missing in any collection. Even though it mMn is easily wearable all year round, I personally think it fits best in spring or autumn. Both during the day and in the evening. But on too warm summer days it would be too "earthy" for me.
I am super happy that I could discover and win him for me after all and will wear him with a lot of joy. Because when I wear it, I know that I have a real treasure of gold ...
[...]
That's it, my friends. Thank you all for reading. I wish you all something!

VG
Above the clouds...
Reading enthusiastically the comments of my esteemed fellow commentators, I could see, more than with any other perfume, that there is a strong tendency to get to know and love Terre d'Hermès at the airport. The possibility that clever marketing plays a role here, or strangely enough, that this perfume is consistently positioned in the most prominent place, I boldly sweep under the carpet. That would rob my commentary of any basis and even a conscientious scientist like me needs a short break from being scientifically correct.
Rather, we simply assume that every perfume is seen and tested equally often in the duty-free area, so how is it that Terre d'Hermès is so popular there?

I don't want to dare to pin this on a characteristic smell, somehow there is in principle almost everything imaginable represented in the comments: Citrus fruits, various spices, rocks, woods, smoke, grass, freshly washed laundry and even some shady smells can be found among them. Some of the ingredients I can personally understand - the cedar, the vetiver, the pepper and a certain geological note - but that's not what I should be concerned about, as I said before, I am only too familiar with personal differences in the perception of chemical substances from university chemistry laboratories and our friend Iso E Super is also notorious for being highly subjectively perceived.
I'm more interested in the feelings that this perfume evokes. Or rather, it intensifies them. Mostly freedom. And lightness. Sympathy. But also security, dependability and stability. Like a good and arsehole insurance, but one that doesn't want to be called "insurance" because that would be far too stuffy and sticky. And these attributes do not go well with this light, almost fleeting eau de toilette. It's more like a "complete carefree package". I would even go a little further and assume that this fragrance is made for young to middle-aged Germans. You want to travel the world, to be free, to be open, but you want to take as little risk as possible, preferably like a protective hand that is always ready when you need it, but which never gets embarrassing or intrusive.
And where does such a scent belong now, if not at an airport? This place full of freedom, expectations, anticipation, openness to the world, respect, being at the mercy of others, certain fears and doubts, but also a large portion of played routine.

Somewhere between saying goodbye to my loved ones, leaving my familiar or loved surroundings, the exposing and rude security check and the goose march into the flying object, I found him and took him with me, like so many others before me. As an all-round carefree package

Wooooody
One of the few perfumes still in circulation that I like, with all the limits of modern perfumery. It is almost entirely healthy, but one can not overlook the excellent work done by Ellena. I'm talking about the first formula, that of 2006.
Opening very citrusy, bitter, and then leave room for the benzone and pelargonium, the combination refers a bit 'to the smell of citronella, which together with citrus and woodiness dell'iso and super does not mind at all, but it is an effect that fades immediately, on the skin remains a mature scent, with base a venerando sparkling accompanied by woods (iso and super) and cedar, an earthy atmosphere, very relaxing but not smooth, since the pungent grapefruit and pepper do not fade immediately. Basically, an excellent citrus / woody ratio suitable in all circumstances, excellent durability but very artificial, so in the long term on your skin there is only a synthetic smell.
Today's version has less evolution, more watered down and more openness than mandarin, less bitter. To today, take the current EDP, much closer to the old version and deeper and darker

Rated 8.5
KOlufsen
A gentleman who radiates no room for uncertainty
Even though I own this fragrance today, it immediately takes me back to a time when I was 17. Allow me to take a short break:

At that time I was with a girl of the same age who came from the same city but from a completely different, much more prosperous background than mine. Her name was Simone. We enjoyed spending time with her. With her parents I got along wonderfully. At that time, just by the way, I wasn't interested in fragrances and I usually wore what I had for Christmas the year before.

Years after that relationship was over, I was at Munich airport with a very, very buddy. Since we still had some time until boarding, we headed for the perfume shelf.

"Terre d'Hermès, mmh, never smelled, supreme time" was more or less my train of thought as I reached for the test bottle. A splash on the test strip and see what to expect. Simultaneously to the scent the past reached me. "My goodness," I thought, "that smells one to one like Simone's father. Or am I wrong?". As the last encounter had been a while ago, I had to reassure myself again. The doubts were immediately dispelled by the second time I tried the test strip. It was the exact same smell! My buddy, whose opinion I was curious about, brought me back into the hectic present of the airport. Adjectives like "old bones" or "old men" flew around my ears. Conclusion: Failed, at least that's what it sounded like.
And his words did not feel quite wrong at first. After all, the only person I know who seems to possess this scent was a very polite gentleman who was in the passive phase of his part-time retirement at the time. Mmh, anyway: Time for boarding.

But the smell never left my head. Not during the flight, not during the stay abroad, not even at home.

At the age of 25 one does not necessarily want to be associated with "old buddies" or "old men". Nevertheless I ordered exactly that scent 2-3 weeks later on the internet. It almost cost me some effort. My buddy and the perfumo community agreed. The allocation of the target group in almost 1000 votes was clear: men 51%, older 25%, younger 16%.

After a year at my side, I want to clarify for me What do I see and above all what do I project into this fragrance, far from my memories?

I am of the opinion that this fragrance smells like no other after success. Of (self-)security and (behavioural) maturity. After stability in a broader sense. This fragrance feels great and to me it seems as if it expects this from its wearer. Is there a compelling connection between all this and "age"? I don't know.

But what I do know is that for me personally, "Terre d'Hermes" is more for the "big occasions". Probably this is also due to his seriousness. Despite everything I would not assign him a "minimum age". You just have to feel ready. And at the end of the day of course you also like his own way :)

Good evening Allen!

ScentSlave
Has this been watered down or something?
I grabbed a 200ml bottle after I fell in love with the scent and read the reviews on its performance, but it seems to die down and fade out rather quickly on me.

The scent itself is fantastic; an orangy-citrus with a smokey, almost gunpowdery masculinity added... it’s absolutely friggin’ fabulous.... it’s just that it doesn’t seem to radiate very far (maybe 1 1/2ft bubble), and dies down into a skin scent rather quickly (maybe 2-3hours). I checked the batch codes for authenticity, and it was indeed authentic, and manufactured in March 2019. I would definitely have given it all 10s if it performed better, but alas, not every wish can be granted.

Some people say that it’s “too mature” but I don’t necessarily agree; it’s pretty heavy in its masculinity, so it’s not going to be for everyone, but the younger crowd can easily sport this with the right degree of confidence. It’s a flip of a coin as to whether you’ll like it or not, regardless to if you’re male OR female, and it seems that the people that dislike it tend to say that it smells like it’s for an “older crowd”.

Again, if only it would radiate a bit more, a little louder, for a little bit longer, it’d be in my hall of fame, easily. Unfortunately it doesn’t quite hit that mark, so it’s just going to be one of my faves that I’ll have to overkill and reapply to be satisfied.
The gateway drug
This scent was my first consciously sniffed and acquired scent. Completely without any background knowledge and without special perfume experience. It had grabbed me then and I simply found it spicy and distinctive. Until then I had used perfume very rarely - most likely an after shave. Interestingly enough, my son recently told me that he had found a really good scent for himself while sniffing around in the airport duty free: the hot "Terre d'Hermes" and he didn't know that I already owned it and had applied it from time to time :-)
In the meantime I have been able to get to know many interesting perfumes and have also acquired a little more knowledge, so that I can perceive the citric of the top note more consciously. The prelude in my nose already shows clearly the grapefruit next to the orange, which makes the whole thing a bit sharper and bitter, which is underlined by pepper. Pepper is for me also clearly to sniff from the beginning and remains in the entire fragrance process. I find vetiver in this perfume to be quite subtle and very subdued. When I think of the vetiver in Sultan Vetiver by Nishane, for example, the version available here has considerably fewer rough edges and corners and therefore appears somewhat cooler. In the further course of the piece, woody tones push more into the foreground. Interestingly, I don't find TdH really earthy and not musty at all - how different one and the same fragrance can be for different noses and olfactory centres. In this respect, I would almost say that the name is somewhat misleading, so to speak "subject missed".
All in all a nice, rather fresh and spicy scent, which is not really offensive and rather pleasing. I can imagine for almost any occasion, perhaps more the classic office fragrance and perhaps more men than women. And, as my son has shown, for all ages.

FIRST LOVE
This scent has a memory with me. When I first got into the fragrance game, I was only in 14. I didn't have too much money so I was wearing CK free and Burberry London. The brand of Hermes was something I always fancied because it is so...child like compare to Chanel and Dior. So I asked my mom to buy me Terre d' Hermes for a gift. The name (earth) sounds so cool to me as I was looking for something manly and mature to give me a boost lol.

When she got me this and I first smelled it I was blown away. It was very earthy and very fresh at the same time. The citrus and the vetiver creates a very herbal, medicinal vibe that screams manliness.

I have kept the bottle for years now and stopped using it because it's always gonna be something special in my collection.

The scent:
If you like something that exudes class and maturity, you will like this a lot.

Longevity and Sillage:
I don't know if I have grown nose blind to this but it doesn't project too much or lasting too long on me.

Bottle:
Beautiful and the cap design is the best of all fragrances in my opinion.

Unisex
This morning I didn't know which perfume to wear. Normally I then sniff here and there at my small collection and go into myself, what I like on that day Nothing really popped today. So I took Terre d'Hermes from my husband How beautiful and durable. I perceive the fragrance as warm and "precise" so to speak.
I'll probably help myself more often. Criteria such as "for men or women only" are once again not applicable here,
SvenScent
Every beginning is hard - but all ends well, all is well!

I have to admit, in the beginning Terre d'Hermès had a hard time with me, but maybe I or my nose just wasn't ready for him.
The very first spray, I thought, "phew," like, "Do we have to do this? Do I like it? After I had ignored it for a long time, I put it back on later, and lo and behold, I found it more than interesting, no, I thought it was really good. Afterwards I noticed that I involuntarily reached for my 5ml bottle of TdH more and more often. I then found the perfume excellent in spring and especially on summer nights, when it simply works brilliantly, as many other users have already remarked, and that's where I finally learned to really love it. It is the extraordinary opening and the successful mixture of citrus, spice and wood that makes TdH quite unique.
So surely in spring a bigger bottle of juice will decorate my collection. Which is why I wrote "quite unique" above, and what might prevent me from buying TdH, is my ownership of "Dunhill Icon". Icon is quite similar to the TdH, especially through the vetiver. While I find the TdH opening much stronger (and better), I like the light oud note in the drydown of the icon very much. Also, the Dunhill on my skin is superior to the TdH in durability. However, the icon lacks a little bit of citric-summery freshness, which is why I will probably no longer refrain from buying Terre d'Hermès.

AkinnenAkinnen 3 hours ago
I am probably one of the rare people who is just OK with TDH meanwhile all others have orgasmic religious opinions about it
OmardoOmardo 4 days ago
This is how paradise probably smell. you walk barefoot in a desert. behind your footsteps, flowers grow. and you leave behind a smell too.
Redsn4pperRedsn4pper 55 days ago
Bright, clean, refreshing citrus. I don't smell anything other and, alas, too clean for my expectation. Great as room freshener, though.
ScentDaneScentDane 55 days ago
Spicy, earthy, citrus tree with vetiver. A masterpiece by Jean-Claude Ellena. TdH is so versatile, but does require some maturity to wear.
HubertGHubertG 103 days ago
Masterpiece, recognize it in the street 20m away, classic and classy male scent, my father's scent (after using Habit Rouge for years)
AithanAithan 116 days ago
Smell of burning dried orange peel. And, bit metallic.
Performance is good.
MillanderMillander 136 days ago
This one and Red Vetyver and Encre Noire is the best masculine vetiver I can stand but only in winter.
CatarinaCatarina 138 days ago
This is a men perfume I like to wear. The opening orange-grapefruit combo is fantastic and the gun powder vibe is even better.
Carlitos01Carlitos01 12 months ago
Jean-Claude Ellena certainly experimented with a lot of natural citrus blendings, before creating this marvelous scent. Quite unique!
KingPinKingPin 16 months ago
3.5
Highly overrated, too peppery and slight bitter undertones. If this wasn’t Hermès, would you still have liked it?

...... ein paar Vitamine für den Mann .... ;))
by IrisNobile
du leuchtest in der Stille
by Irini
by Irini
du duftest so fein ...
by Santalwalti
ich mag deine spritzige Sommerfrische ...besonders an Frühlingsabenden.... Danke, lieber Rai
by Santalwalti
Männer ran... heute wird gegrillt
by Blödel
by Kate130
by Kate130
200ml & 12,5ml mini
by Snaut
schöner flakon, den duft finde ich nicht mehr so toll
Miniatur
by Firooz
by Oziriz
by Oziriz

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Hiris by Hermès