Terre d'Hermès (2006) Eau de Toilette

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès
Bottle Design: Philippe Mouquet
Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-earthy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Benzoin, Flintstone, Geranium leaf, Grapefruit, Orange, Patchouli, Pepper, Pink pepper, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.04.2019

MisskMissk 7 years ago

„Dry orange and woods”

Terre d'Hermes is certainly a very interesting scent with many dimensions. I get a lot of woods, but also a lot of earthiness as well from smelling this. In...
ChrisdlChrisdl 7 months ago

„TH EdT doesn't agree with me”

I 've read a lot of reviews of TH, so I blind bought it (like I often do) without thinking twice about it. The opening was lovely citrus, followed by a wonderful...
9.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

Skills0401
If there was a signature scent...
...then it would be Terre d'Hermès for me. I've never been a big advocate of the signature fragrance concept and before my time on Parfumo I had a small rotation of fragrances that were used on various occasions. In the meantime, this rotation has grown a bit, but the basic attitude that I want to underline different moods with different perfumes has not changed. Nevertheless TdH is now listed as a signature scent - why?

Well, there are several reasons - but the most important one is that I like the fragrance the best of all my perfumes. When I am undecided in the morning what I want to wear, my thoughts usually first wander to TdH. For me, there is no other fragrance that can be worn at any time, both professionally and in my free time, and that makes me feel so comfortable when I wear it. The very good durability and sillage for me and also the Iso E Super used here very meaningfully ensure that I get scent clouds in the course of the day again and again in the nose, which regularly lift my mood a little - that's how a scent should be!

Jean Claude Ellena has also succeeded in incorporating aspects into TdH that are suitable for all seasons and give the fragrance an iridescent character. In spring it's mainly the freshness with grapefruit and pepper that fits; in summer the orange and the slightly smoky note remind me a bit of summer rain in the air on hot days, which also comes from Iso E Super with its woody airiness. In the colder seasons, the cedar and vetiver base is more prominent, underlining the earthiness of Terre d'Hermès. I don't know many fragrances that are so multi-faceted, yet simple to wear. TdH never attracts attention unpleasantly, but caresses the wearer in a discreet, but always perceptible fragrance restaurant.

And last but not least, Terre d'Hermès reminds me of the place where I bought it and where I spent an exciting half year - Beirut. A dynamic, multicultural and diverse city supported by modernity, tradition and cordiality. TdH - Tradition, dynamics, cordiality? For me, yes, the perfume, with its rich facets and warmth, is a perfect match for this city.

I don't believe in the concept of signature scent - but if there was only one, Terre d'Hermès would have the best cards and will therefore always have a special place in my collection.
5.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Mild Patchouli
I have to admit I was baited by the TV commercials. But it was worth it.
It won't be my favourite, but once you follow the top note, it's a fragrance that you can wear occasionally when it comes to earthy scents.

The top note is extremely orange-heavy, which is not possible for me personally. They had also been able to save the nouance better. Reminds me of Davidoff's Zino, for example, but he's even more extreme in that respect.

After about two hours, however, when the orange has largely disappeared, a mild patchouli fragrance emerges. So earthiness par excellance. So you can wear it for my taste, if "earthiness" is asked.

I will buy it for the corresponding occasions if pure patchouli would be too strong
9.0 9.0 9.0 9.5/10

Searing summer heat
Ächz, this page is killing me...The longer you look around, the more scents you want. I used to be an advocate of the One Fragrance for All faction. A universal fragrance, really just one that you can apply to your work as well as in the evening. Meanwhile there are 6 flacons around at home and it is fun to add something new every time. It's come to this. My newest achievement: Terre d´Hermes, which I bought at the local perfumery for a horrendous price (75€ for 50ml). I've wanted to for a long time, but that's when Green Irish Tweed got in my way.
Now to the fragrance: TDH simply smells unique, I don't know any fragrance that resembles it. I always think of scorching summer heat banging on the roofs, that's how it smells. Whereby the scent is not obtrusive or kills you, not at all. Hot. Peppery. Spicy, there is also a lot of wood (cedar?), but without appearing dusty or antiquated. A wonderful fragrance for everything (there it is again), which can be applied to all occasions. More like a summer scent, but actually it always goes (like right now)
7.0 8.0 7.0 9.5/10

Vetiver, Vetiver, Vetiver - a great touch of a summer on the coast
Terre d'Hermès has been one of my favourite fragrances for years. The citric notes, the vetiver oil and the golden colour awaken in me holiday memories, adjectives such as Mediterranean, lively, refreshing, free come to mind when I want to describe the fragrance. But with that I would never do justice to this smell, because these characteristics apply to so many other summer scents as well. What distinguishes Terre d'Hermès from all the other fragrances in my eyes is that he is also incredibly distinguished and expressive without becoming obtrusive. For me it fits both during the day in the office, and in the evening in a bar or on a date and of course also in the restaurant on vacation. Chapeau on the versatility of Terre d'Hermès!
9.0 8.0 9.0 3.0/10

Chrisdl
TH EdT doesn't agree with me
The opening was lovely citrus, followed by a wonderful pepper smell. I do love pepper in a fragrance, so that's a big plus. Terre d'Hermes has got it all. However...

The dry-down comes rather quickly after an hour or so, and with my bottle (bought 2018) it is rough, very rough. The beautiful opening which was still lingering in my mind was replaced by an overly bright, almost acidic smell which was headache-inducing and turned me off altogether. It's not just on my skin, because I've tried my TH on a paper strip and it got the same smell on the dry-down. I've now tried it multiple times, but I can't get past the bad ending. Maybe it is my batch, or perhaps it's a fragrance that doesn't agree with me. I'd like to warn you that although this works great with almost everybody else (check the reviews here to get the gist of it), it might not be for everyone. I'm sad to say that this is, so far, the worst fragrance in my (limited) collection. Sacrilege. Shame on me, I know. I can't help it.

I'd love to like it and deem it a masterpiece but the unexpected sour ending that lingers for hours ruins my experience completely. Try before you buy, especially recent batches.
7.0 8.0 8.0 9.0/10

If I don't know.....
what to use and have no time or desire to think about it, then I will use you dear Terre d'Hermès. That's the biggest compliment I can give you. You are like a calming pole in an excited world, which I can rely on and whose beauty I notice again and again astonished, although I did not want to pay attention at first.

Maybe you will be replaced sometime, but surely you will never be forgotten and today I just want to thank you for the nice moments
7.0 6.0 6.5/10

Rocendroll
[Raczej nie] A mialo byc tak dobrze, z poczatku mi sie podobal
O ile przy kilku pierwszych uzyciach bylo ok, to przy koncu fiolki czulem obrzydzenie do tego zapachu. Nachalny. Eleganckie zapachy nie sa tak slodnie i ostre. Ten jest. Slodki i ostry. A mialo byc tak dobrze, przeciez z poczatku mi sie podobal
6.0 8.0 8.0 8.0/10

Great for special occasions
I've sampled this a few times now, and I really do enjoy it. It's definitely not a daytime fragrance to me, the couple times I've worn it to work I got really sick of it about halfway through the day. Realistically this one would be better suited for a special occasion or a date/night out. Spicy, orangey, overall very nice fragrance. Definitely good longevity. Just not something I want to have on all day.

Orange mineral
I can actually see why people would not like this. This scent, depending on what note you catch a whiff of, can be anything from bug spray-like to mineral or inert.

That's the thing though, depending on what you pick up your opinion might change throughout its wearing. Dirty orange, flint, black pepper and/or vetiver......it is an interesting mix.

On me, this easily projected and had a good lifespan, maybe 6 hours or so.

Various people on YouTube reviews keep on mentioning that it comes across as an "old man" type of scent.
Definitely over thirty type of scent but seems too sophisticated to fall into only the mature demographic.
9.0 7.0 7.0 7.5/10

Terre d'Hermes
Terre d'Hermes is a true revelation to me. Paradoxically, this wasn't love at first sniff. A few years back I was toying with the idea of buying it for my dad, so I tested it on paper. Although it came across as an interesting fragrance, citrusy in the initial stage and a tad bit sweet, in the drydown, I found its strong cedar note rather off-putting.

I've recently revisited Terre to give it a second chance - and I'm pleased I have. This stuff is nothing short of exceptional, especially when tested directly on the skin. I'm a sucker for well-blended citrus notes in my frags, and Terre features a particularly delightful (over)ripe orange and grapefruit combo, which, to my surprise, has a pretty decent lasting power. Then a pepper accord becomes more obvious, followed by the cedar, which dominates the fragrance, but which I've come to like.

All in all, Terre d'Hermes is a well-balanced, smooth, modern and surprisingly versatile scent for men. It's no powerhouse as I find its sillage moderate, yet its longevity impressive. My guess is its fan club includes predominantly 30+ folks or younger men intelligent beyond their years. Thank you, Mr Ellena!
5.0 7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Minimalist vetiver, refined citrus
Terre d'Hermès is one of those high creations that no one would deny. Several times replicated by several houses from niche to designers. This fragrance has an illusion that intensifies by the title: Terre. In fact you don't have any hint of soil or dust and it is all emerged by grapefruit, geranium and vetiver. Neither, this is not a vetiver oriented composition. It's apparently geranium without camphorous effect. The same geranium in Chanel Platinum Égoïste.
Terre d'Hermes is a delightful rounded, highly wearable, casual/formal fragrance that gives you sense of trust. Fresh, foggy, sweet, zesty, manly and minimalistic. A crowd-pleasing woodsy citrus fragrance, an Éllena production.
7/10
7.5 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

Simply Groundbreaking Fragrance
Unfortunately I have never been able to write a justified review(on any forum) of this one of the most beloved fragrance of mine , TDH, since I started wearing has remained very close to my soul, whether it be office , going out with family/friends or any where else you just name it.
Apart from its pleasant aroma and adorable simplicity , it is a very versatile fragrance , especially the climate I belong to , nothing works more than this, I tried dozens and liked a few but this is Awesome.
It starts with a very lovely Orange ( favourite fruit) , Black pepper and settles to a very lovely Vetiver with a musky trail till the end.
Love it from start till End.
2.5 7.5 2.0/10

Spicy and Woody
I had a try on this frag today and It was the results.
At the first glance I found it very synthetic and generic! I think it was because of the intensive scent of the opening which is significantly spicy rather that woody.I think this kind of extensive spicy and woody scent doesn't work for me and i can't breath while I'm wearing it. After 1 hour I can smell a trace of citrus scent and in particular orange. It is bitter scent for me. The scent of Vetiver is prominent when it settles for its middle and base note.
The longevity is good (at least 5 hours) and the silage is great. all the moments I was wearing it i could smell the trace of the scent.
I think it is suitable for Fall more that other seasons. Also, I consider it is more nocturnal than diurnal scent.
All in all, It doesn't suit me and the scent incredibly annoys me.
10.0 7.5 7.5 10.0/10

MasterLi
The perfume of the earth...
Terre d'Hermès is a very clever, masterfully done citrus & woods combination from perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena, originally envisaged as the male counterpart to Eau des Merveilles, the female-marketed, orange and ambergris fragrance released two years before. With this, Ellena has created something for men which smells different from the usual aquatic citrus combinations out there. Yes this is a citrus and woods combination, but there is something about it so rugged, and yet smooth, earthy yet clean... that it's very hard to put your finger on. What he has done, is introduce a "mineral" note, representing flint, a sharp, cool rock and combined that with vetiver, cedarwood, pelargonium (which is a cold & metallic smelling variety of geranium) and earthy patchouli. It's quite something, and not easy for most people to understand at first.

His trademark signature note is Iso-E-Super, which is a recreation of peppery wood (similar to cedarwood) which combines with the vetiver, the pepper and the cedar to contribute to this "mineral-like" effect. The other thing to mention is the orange and grapefruit. The orange note here evokes not the flesh of the fruit, but the rind, like you have just torn it apart in your fingers and the oily zest has covered them, the strong , pungent smell of fresh orange peel. The grapefruit here is very nice, surrounded by pink pepper and gives the top and mid an almost "sparkling" effect. It's a very cleverly composed fragrance, but one which is not easy to understand at first.

I think if you are a man who is looking for something different to make you stand out, this would be a good choice. I would also say that this strikes me as a "serious" fragrance. It's not one to impress, or to please all the people. It has a "serious" tone to it which is very detached. I wouldn't call it cold, but sort of detached. Confidant and detached. That said, if you want to wear something which you will appreciate (not for others), and you have that type of personality, then go for this. It has a "serious" vibe to it and even I don't think I'm that mature enough to wear it (yet). For some reason I see this fragrance fitting someone like a cowboy, or a man who lives in nature. It definitely gives the impression of being connected with the earth (hence the name "earth of Hermès"). But it's certainly unique, one of a kind for sure. Very unique.
6.0/10

Good bad good bad...
It is a large. Sometimes it leaves you an incredible feeling. But tired. Eventually tired. It is a large but not as much as people say. Tired.
10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Relaxing confidence
In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.

CeeGo
One of the best "latter" scents
Really great scent. Very masculine. Its quite raw and strong in few first seconds caused by bitter orange and grapefruit, later on passing to soft leathery spicy notes, also additioned by vetiver. Women loves this!
7.5 5.0 5.0 7.0/10

Brilliant composition
Wonderful vetiver based scent.

The benzoin note and patchouli gives it a depth and an edge.

It's more a mature scent and it's already a classic.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

Updated January 2014
5.0 7.5 8.0/10

Quite the story ...
I've tried Terre d'Hermès a few times while out on "sniffs". I wasn't impressed. Recently, I even made a shopping list containing it for blind buy but it wasn't available. A few days ago I received a gift bag from a friend containing it ... and I am flabbergasted!

Now ... I've tried a number of fragrances created by M.Ellena, and frankly, I cannot see why the title of 'genius' is conferred upon him by so many. I am here to tell you my fragrant friends, that only once you have 'lived' in the fragrances by this man (especially this one!!), you are able to give them their fair due.
I have copiously sprayed this gift over the last 72 hours to ecstatic reviews from those in my midst ... who all know that I am a complete fragrance fanatic. EVERYBODY that I have been in contact with has marvelled at the beauty of my sillage.
Now, it is true that Terre d'Hermès is stuffed with Iso E Super, but it has a development to my nose that makes it completely wearable. There is definitely an element of freshly rained upon earth here, as well as the terpenoid smell of window putty ... for a brief while. The citrus opening lasts for a good four hours before giving way to a fabulous floral/woodsy Cedar note ... no doubt enhanced by lashings of Iso E ... but SO APPROACHABLE!!
Terre d'Hermès is definitely a fragrance designed for the masses to appreciate ... but having found it's glory I don't mind being counted among them.

This is a chemical concoction of note, but I will wear it with happiness, knowing that that those who catch my scent will remark upon it. Definitely a mutable attention getter!!
7.5 7.5 8.0/10

Masculine
Absolutely one of the best men's perfumes I´ve had the pleasure of smelling. Amazingly good scent, very masculine and seductive. Slightly dry citrus scent, well-balanced, woody. There is a certain sweetness in it, after all, which makes it even more enchanting. Highly recommended!

KingPin 62 days ago
Highly overrated, too peppery and slight bitter undertones. If this wasn’t Hermès, would you still have liked it?
3.5
DavidBraz 7 months ago
Zesty opening with a stong vetiver in the base. Great signature scent for a mature guy. You get noticed and it grabs a lot of compliments+1
Jazzy76 10 months ago
I think that some masterpiece-fragrances have no "sex". I tested this fragrance today and I loved it immediately. I could wear it. Why not?
PMRP12 2 years ago
Sophisticated masterpiece made for professional and formal scenarios. True artistry in its composition. Zesty, earthy, and invigorating.+4
9.0
9.0
Elysium 3 years ago
I've just sprayed TH and went my way to work. With this autumn sparkling air, a pleasant zesty juice of orange and grapefruit intoxicated me!+4

du leuchtest in der Stille
by Irini
by Irini
du duftest so fein ...
by Santalwalti
ich mag deine spritzige Sommerfrische ...besonders an Frühlingsabenden.... Danke, lieber Rai
by Andreas09
by TheScenter
by Profumorist
by Profumorist
by DSausHH
schöner flakon, den duft finde ich nicht mehr so toll
by Couchlock
by Guapo
by Oziriz
by Oziriz

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès