Terre d'Hermès (2006) Eau de Toilette

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès
Bottle Design: Philippe Mouquet
Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) (Hermès)
Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) is a popular perfume by Hermès for men and was released in 2006. The scent is woody-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Benzoin, Flintstone, Geranium leaf, Grapefruit, Orange, Patchouli, Pepper, Pink pepper, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 14.12.2018

MisskMissk 7 years ago

„Dry orange and woods”

Terre d'Hermes is certainly a very interesting scent with many dimensions. I get a lot of woods, but also a lot of earthiness as well from smelling this. In...
ChrisdlChrisdl 86 days ago

„TH EdT doesn't agree with me”

I 've read a lot of reviews of TH, so I blind bought it (like I often do) without thinking twice about it. The opening was lovely citrus, followed by a wonderful...
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.5/10
Vetiver, Vetiver, Vetiver - a great touch of a summer on the coast
Terre d'Hermès has been one of my favourite fragrances for years. The citric notes, the vetiver oil and the golden colour awaken in me holiday memories, adjectives such as Mediterranean, lively, refreshing, free come to mind when I want to describe the fragrance. But with that I would never do justice to this smell, because these characteristics apply to so many other summer scents as well. What distinguishes Terre d'Hermès from all the other fragrances in my eyes is that he is also incredibly distinguished and expressive without becoming obtrusive. For me it fits both during the day in the office, and in the evening in a bar or on a date and of course also in the restaurant on vacation. Chapeau on the versatility of Terre d'Hermès!
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 3.0/10
TH EdT doesn't agree with me
The opening was lovely citrus, followed by a wonderful pepper smell. I do love pepper in a fragrance, so that's a big plus. Terre d'Hermes has got it all. However...

The dry-down comes rather quickly after an hour or so, and with my bottle (bought 2018) it is rough, very rough. The beautiful opening which was still lingering in my mind was replaced by an overly bright, almost acidic smell which was headache-inducing and turned me off altogether. It's not just on my skin, because I've tried my TH on a paper strip and it got the same smell on the dry-down. I've now tried it multiple times, but I can't get past the bad ending. Maybe it is my batch, or perhaps it's a fragrance that doesn't agree with me. I'd like to warn you that although this works great with almost everybody else (check the reviews here to get the gist of it), it might not be for everyone. I'm sad to say that this is, so far, the worst fragrance in my (limited) collection. Sacrilege. Shame on me, I know. I can't help it.

I'd love to like it and deem it a masterpiece but the unexpected sour ending that lingers for hours ruins my experience completely. Try before you buy, especially recent batches.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
If I don't know.....
what to use and have no time or desire to think about it, then I will use you dear Terre d'Hermès. That's the biggest compliment I can give you. You are like a calming pole in an excited world, which I can rely on and whose beauty I notice again and again astonished, although I did not want to pay attention at first.

Maybe you will be replaced sometime, but surely you will never be forgotten and today I just want to thank you for the nice moments
Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 6.5/10
[Raczej nie] A mialo byc tak dobrze, z poczatku mi sie podobal
O ile przy kilku pierwszych uzyciach bylo ok, to przy koncu fiolki czulem obrzydzenie do tego zapachu. Nachalny. Eleganckie zapachy nie sa tak slodnie i ostre. Ten jest. Slodki i ostry. A mialo byc tak dobrze, przeciez z poczatku mi sie podobal
Bottle 6.0/10 Sillage 8.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Great for special occasions
I've sampled this a few times now, and I really do enjoy it. It's definitely not a daytime fragrance to me, the couple times I've worn it to work I got really sick of it about halfway through the day. Realistically this one would be better suited for a special occasion or a date/night out. Spicy, orangey, overall very nice fragrance. Definitely good longevity. Just not something I want to have on all day.
Orange mineral
I can actually see why people would not like this. This scent, depending on what note you catch a whiff of, can be anything from bug spray-like to mineral or inert.

That's the thing though, depending on what you pick up your opinion might change throughout its wearing. Dirty orange, flint, black pepper and/or vetiver......it is an interesting mix.

On me, this easily projected and had a good lifespan, maybe 6 hours or so.

Various people on YouTube reviews keep on mentioning that it comes across as an "old man" type of scent.
Definitely over thirty type of scent but seems too sophisticated to fall into only the mature demographic.
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Terre d'Hermes
Terre d'Hermes is a true revelation to me. Paradoxically, this wasn't love at first sniff. A few years back I was toying with the idea of buying it for my dad, so I tested it on paper. Although it came across as an interesting fragrance, citrusy in the initial stage and a tad bit sweet, in the drydown, I found its strong cedar note rather off-putting.

I've recently revisited Terre to give it a second chance - and I'm pleased I have. This stuff is nothing short of exceptional, especially when tested directly on the skin. I'm a sucker for well-blended citrus notes in my frags, and Terre features a particularly delightful (over)ripe orange and grapefruit combo, which, to my surprise, has a pretty decent lasting power. Then a pepper accord becomes more obvious, followed by the cedar, which dominates the fragrance, but which I've come to like.

All in all, Terre d'Hermes is a well-balanced, smooth, modern and surprisingly versatile scent for men. It's no powerhouse as I find its sillage moderate, yet its longevity impressive. My guess is its fan club includes predominantly 30+ folks or younger men intelligent beyond their years. Thank you, Mr Ellena!
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
K1
Minimalist vetiver, refined citrus
Terre d'Hermès is one of those high creations that no one would deny. Several times replicated by several houses from niche to designers. This fragrance has an illusion that intensifies by the title: Terre. In fact you don't have any hint of soil or dust and it is all emerged by grapefruit, geranium and vetiver. Neither, this is not a vetiver oriented composition. It's apparently geranium without camphorous effect. The same geranium in Chanel Platinum Égoïste.
Terre d'Hermes is a delightful rounded, highly wearable, casual/formal fragrance that gives you sense of trust. Fresh, foggy, sweet, zesty, manly and minimalistic. A crowd-pleasing woodsy citrus fragrance, an Éllena production.
7/10
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 10.0/10
GMK
Simply Groundbreaking Fragrance
Unfortunately I have never been able to write a justified review(on any forum) of this one of the most beloved fragrance of mine , TDH, since I started wearing has remained very close to my soul, whether it be office , going out with family/friends or any where else you just name it.
Apart from its pleasant aroma and adorable simplicity , it is a very versatile fragrance , especially the climate I belong to , nothing works more than this, I tried dozens and liked a few but this is Awesome.
It starts with a very lovely Orange ( favourite fruit) , Black pepper and settles to a very lovely Vetiver with a musky trail till the end.
Love it from start till End.
Bottle 2.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 2.0/10
MSD
Spicy and Woody
I had a try on this frag today and It was the results.
At the first glance I found it very synthetic and generic! I think it was because of the intensive scent of the opening which is significantly spicy rather that woody.I think this kind of extensive spicy and woody scent doesn't work for me and i can't breath while I'm wearing it. After 1 hour I can smell a trace of citrus scent and in particular orange. It is bitter scent for me. The scent of Vetiver is prominent when it settles for its middle and base note.
The longevity is good (at least 5 hours) and the silage is great. all the moments I was wearing it i could smell the trace of the scent.
I think it is suitable for Fall more that other seasons. Also, I consider it is more nocturnal than diurnal scent.
All in all, It doesn't suit me and the scent incredibly annoys me.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 10.0/10
The perfume of the earth...
Terre d'Hermès is a very clever, masterfully done citrus & woods combination from perfumer Jean-Claude Ellena, originally envisaged as the male counterpart to Eau des Merveilles, the female-marketed, orange and ambergris fragrance released two years before. With this, Ellena has created something for men which smells different from the usual aquatic citrus combinations out there. Yes this is a citrus and woods combination, but there is something about it so rugged, and yet smooth, earthy yet clean... that it's very hard to put your finger on. What he has done, is introduce a "mineral" note, representing flint, a sharp, cool rock and combined that with vetiver, cedarwood, pelargonium (which is a cold & metallic smelling variety of geranium) and earthy patchouli. It's quite something, and not easy for most people to understand at first.

His trademark signature note is Iso-E-Super, which is a recreation of peppery wood (similar to cedarwood) which combines with the vetiver, the pepper and the cedar to contribute to this "mineral-like" effect. The other thing to mention is the orange and grapefruit. The orange note here evokes not the flesh of the fruit, but the rind, like you have just torn it apart in your fingers and the oily zest has covered them, the strong , pungent smell of fresh orange peel. The grapefruit here is very nice, surrounded by pink pepper and gives the top and mid an almost "sparkling" effect. It's a very cleverly composed fragrance, but one which is not easy to understand at first.

I think if you are a man who is looking for something different to make you stand out, this would be a good choice. I would also say that this strikes me as a "serious" fragrance. It's not one to impress, or to please all the people. It has a "serious" tone to it which is very detached. I wouldn't call it cold, but sort of detached. Confidant and detached. That said, if you want to wear something which you will appreciate (not for others), and you have that type of personality, then go for this. It has a "serious" vibe to it and even I don't think I'm that mature enough to wear it (yet). For some reason I see this fragrance fitting someone like a cowboy, or a man who lives in nature. It definitely gives the impression of being connected with the earth (hence the name "earth of Hermès"). But it's certainly unique, one of a kind for sure. Very unique.
Scent 6.0/10
Good bad good bad...
It is a large. Sometimes it leaves you an incredible feeling. But tired. Eventually tired. It is a large but not as much as people say. Tired.
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Relaxing confidence
In short it smells like ripe oranges squeezed to vetiver and pepper. Warm spices with the coolness of orange make a nice contrast. When I apply Terre I always think of a dessert with an orange tree, cracked soil, warm breeze, orange sky and vetiver plants around the tree. I am standing next to this tree when a ripe orange falls to the ground and breaks up, letting its orange juice pour into the cracks of the ground to mix with the vetiver roots. I love it.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10
One of the best "latter" scents
Really great scent. Very masculine. Its quite raw and strong in few first seconds caused by bitter orange and grapefruit, later on passing to soft leathery spicy notes, also additioned by vetiver. Women loves this!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Brilliant composition
Wonderful vetiver based scent.

The benzoin note and patchouli gives it a depth and an edge.

It's more a mature scent and it's already a classic.

Sillage, projection and lasting power are medium.

Updated January 2014
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Quite the story ...
I've tried Terre d'Hermès a few times while out on "sniffs". I wasn't impressed. Recently, I even made a shopping list containing it for blind buy but it wasn't available. A few days ago I received a gift bag from a friend containing it ... and I am flabbergasted!

Now ... I've tried a number of fragrances created by M.Ellena, and frankly, I cannot see why the title of 'genius' is conferred upon him by so many. I am here to tell you my fragrant friends, that only once you have 'lived' in the fragrances by this man (especially this one!!), you are able to give them their fair due.
I have copiously sprayed this gift over the last 72 hours to ecstatic reviews from those in my midst ... who all know that I am a complete fragrance fanatic. EVERYBODY that I have been in contact with has marvelled at the beauty of my sillage.
Now, it is true that Terre d'Hermès is stuffed with Iso E Super, but it has a development to my nose that makes it completely wearable. There is definitely an element of freshly rained upon earth here, as well as the terpenoid smell of window putty ... for a brief while. The citrus opening lasts for a good four hours before giving way to a fabulous floral/woodsy Cedar note ... no doubt enhanced by lashings of Iso E ... but SO APPROACHABLE!!
Terre d'Hermès is definitely a fragrance designed for the masses to appreciate ... but having found it's glory I don't mind being counted among them.

This is a chemical concoction of note, but I will wear it with happiness, knowing that that those who catch my scent will remark upon it. Definitely a mutable attention getter!!
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 8.0/10
Masculine
Absolutely one of the best men's perfumes I´ve had the pleasure of smelling. Amazingly good scent, very masculine and seductive. Slightly dry citrus scent, well-balanced, woody. There is a certain sweetness in it, after all, which makes it even more enchanting. Highly recommended!
Bottle 10.0/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
Woody Masterpiece...
I can't say much about this orange earthy woody scent that has not already been said by hundreds of others... I love, love, LOVE Terre d'Hermes! Extremely well-made, long-lasting and superb smelling scent. This one is highly recommended to all. It really *is* that good. Believe the hype and add it to your collection tout suite. Just for reference, the edt appears to have better sillage than the pure perfume, but the pure perfume is a bit more refined. Either one is an excellent choice and I wear them both (edt during the Spring and Summer, and the pp during the Fall and Winter). 4.5+ stars out of 5.
Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
A trompe l'oeil of clean dirt and wood shavings
I reviewed Hermès TERRE D'HERMES a while back, but I still have my mini, so I thought that I'd sniff it anew having suffered through a recent onslaught of iso-E-super monsters. Would my nose still like it as well? The answer is "yes and no".

Yes, I still find TERRE to be of very high quality: the wood smells like wood; the oxymoronic clean dirt still smells like actual soil. The iso-E-super serves to buoy not substitute for the wood in this composition. There is something very inviting, even addictive about this combination of earth, flint, and wood. Should it really smell so good? It sounds so simple, but here simplicity is key.

In some ways I feel that TERRE fits right in with the JARDIN series. Think: JARDIN without the fruits and vegetables. It seems like a faithful snapshot of nature, especially in the opening. But then it happens: the Darth Vader effect.

I recognized the dreaded Darth Vader effect in Lalique ENCRE NOIRE before it had a name, which was conferred upon the perfume by a Fragrantica reviewer. That label really stuck in my mind, because whenever I wear ENCRE NOIRE (for him), I find that after a couple of hours, it has expanded to produce a sort of enormous and black but invisible suit in which I appear to be traveling. The material must be something half way between hard plastic and metal, because it smells like neither. Yet it exudes fumes as though it had been freshly cast.

This fume effect is also present, but to a much lesser extent, in TERRE D'HERMES. Here it's more like a suggestion in the background, and it never takes over the fragrance completely, as in ENCRE NOIRE. But it is definitely there. Because of this Darth Vader connection, I have not really pursued TERRE for myself, but I do still think that it is an excellent scent for gents. I am quite sure that many men who generally eschew perfume could wear this creation comfortably and well.

To me, TERRE is something of a trompe l'oeil: it seems to be a window on a natural landscape, but in fact it is the height of artifice.
Scent 10.0/10
Haiku d'Hermes
----------------------------------
fragrant cedar trail
through grass tussocks, flinty stone
each step dusty, warm
-----------------------------------

Terre d’Hermes is always something of a journey for me and I'm never disappointed by the destination. While its basic presentation stays the same, environmental variations often elevate particular notes out of the texture causing new and interesting counterpoints. For instance, on cold, rainy days cedar often predominates but you can never tell if it's going to rub shoulders with tart grapefruit or earthy vetiver and pepper. On hot days the citrus, particularly grapefruit, will usually predominate but who it's partner will be is often a surprise. Even something as subtle as applying T’dH closer to or further away from the skin gives different results: The grapefruit notes along with the metallic qualities of the mineral flint are more pronounced with a wet, close up spritz. Further away and and Td'H seems to develop a richer, more homogeneous parfum-like quality. Even my wife notices these changes from a distance.

The best days, however, are those when each element of the fragrance evolves in progression and comes into focus. Then you truly have the impression of a journey through Terre d'Hermes.

PMRP12 2 years ago
Sophisticated masterpiece made for professional and formal scenarios. True artistry in its composition. Zesty, earthy, and invigorating.+3
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 9.0
Longevity 9.0
Scent 10.0
Elysium 3 years ago
I've just sprayed TH and went my way to work. With this autumn sparkling air, a pleasant zesty juice of orange and grapefruit intoxicated me!+3
Bottle 10.0
Sillage 7.5
Longevity 10.0
Scent 10.0
DavidBraz 91 days ago
Zesty opening with a stong vetiver in the base. Great signature scent for a mature guy. You get noticed and it grabs a lot of compliments
Bottle 7.0
Sillage 8.0
Longevity 8.0
Scent 8.5
Jazzy76 171 days ago
I think that some masterpiece-fragrances have no "sex". I tested this fragrance today and I loved it immediately. I could wear it. Why not?
Bottle 7.0

• by TheScenter by TheScenter
  • by Phyber85 by Phyber85
  • by Miaw2 by Miaw2
  • by DSausHH by DSausHH
  • schöner flakon, den duft finde ich nicht mehr so toll by Couchlock
  • by RobinB by RobinB
  • by Thecombad by Thecombad
  • by Thecombad by Thecombad
  • by Oziriz by Oziriz

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès