Twilly d'Hermès (2017)

Twilly d'Hermès by Hermès
Bottle Design: Florence Manlik
Twilly d'Hermès is a perfume by Hermès for women and was released in 2017. The scent is floral-spicy. It is still in production.

Christine Nagel

Ginger, Tuberose, Sandalwood

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 20.03.2019

7.0 7.0 7.0 8.5/10
Little Monster
This smell is a little monster to me. It's in a bottle, just waiting to be carried by me. As soon as I spray the scent, it sticks to me, gets caught in my hair, sticks to my clothes and whispers quietly to me "Flatten them, don't put up with anything!
This fragrance is cheeky, selfish and self-confident. He doesn't care if it would be rude to start eating before everyone is at the table. He doesn't hold the door open for an unfriendly person and goes to the end himself. He does not offer the last piece of cake to the unloved aunts, but simply eats it. He sticks out the tongue of the naughty child at the supermarket checkout. He has already taken one or the other chocolate bar with him.... For me, the little monster TWILLY is the opposite of good and sweet. Twilly's motto is "flatten them - otherwise they will flatten you" this fragrance gives you the feeling of being selfish and ONLY thinking about yourself
7.0 5.0 5.0 6.5/10
You never told me
When I saw this perfume on the srugstore shelf and on the magazines , with its bowler hat shaped cap , I immediately thought to the famous movie with Alberto Sordi "Fumo di londra" and to the soundrack "you never told me". It's the spirit of London in a bottle : " swinging" but always traditional, modern and ironic, but classic too.
The maison Hermes usally made me dream of the Paris avenues , but this story is different.
At the firts spray I smelled a cloud of fizzy ginger , then I perceived a very light tuberose note, not at all heavy, intoxicating or too ladylike, but very feminin, anyway. Unfortunately, there's no base in this scent and , at least on my skin, I didn't smell the sandalwood and it's a pity.
Simple and basic with its traid of notes, this fragrance could seem a little poor, but it's quite pleasant. Funny the bottle, although I was expecting something more from a prestigious Maison like Hermes. But obviously times change...
Nice and different
What a gorgeous bottle! I like it very much. It invites you to smell what is inside.
The perfume opens with soft, fresh ginger. It is not a loud ginger, it is a quite one, ready to be open. After a while, tuberose makes its presence felt. It is not a sweet tuberose, it’s a spicy tuberose. A lovely flower mixed with oriental spices. All the composition is like an invitation in a garden full of tuberoses and spices where their smells intertwine.
The dry-down is tuberose sweetened by sandalwood with a hint of ginger.
Twilly is a beautiful and elegant, modern and classy at the same time. It smells comfortable on my skin. I am not part of the perfume target group and still like it. It is an optimistic and lively floral but I think it is for everyone.
Give it a try if you want something different. Nice!
6.0 6.0 8.0 5.5/10
StellaDiverF
Bracing ginger and commercial orange blossom floriental
Twilly opens with a spicy ginger, not so juicy as fresh ginger, nor is it overly woody like an aged ginger root. This is a ginger that's as much spicy as it's peppery, which links smoothly to tart, aromatic bergamot and green neroli.

The tuberose soon arrives at the front, flanked by sandalwood and tonka bean, and the ginger gradually blends into the woody background. The tuberose here is extremely pure and white, devoid of any indole or animalic nuance. Because of the grainy texture of sandalwood and tonka bean underneath, the tuberose isn't really creamy or buttery, either. It feels more like white clay to me.

Actually, the tuberose is so lacking its typical voluptuous characteristics, and because of the grainy-powdery texture and the presence of bergamot, Twilly initially smells very much like a constructed, commercial orange blossom accord to me. And after multiple wearing, I still feel this way if I don't make the effort to distinguish the different notes.

Afterwards, Twilly doesn't go through any major shift. The fragrance feels a bit more milky and more musky with time, as the sandalwood shares more weight in the dry down. There's also a spicy, hay-like nuance of tonka bean getting through occasionally, adding a somewhat masculine fougere boost to this floriental concoction.

Twilly projects moderately during most of its 10-hour longevity on my skin.

I would describe Twilly as a modernised, streamlined floriental, with ginger and orange blossom as major accords. It feels much more dense, more opaque, sweeter and warmer than most Hermès releases in the past ten years. Since it's Christine Nagel's first widely available, mainstream pillar fragrance in Hermès, a such rupture in style is totally understandable.

Because of its extremely clean, abstract treatment of tuberose, and its commercial sandalwood-tonka base, I'm indifferent towards Twilly. Yes, it's an overall pleasant warm orange blossom, and not as sweet as most gourmand and fruitchouli, but except for the initial ginger burst, the rest feels more or less standard, and doesn't stand out among other Hermès pillar fragrances, in my humble opinion.
9.0 7.0 8.0 9.0/10
Cumulnimbus
Refreshing ginger meets happy tuberose
Beautiful, joyful and uplifting without being simple or super light. This is a great contemporary perfume for active people. Polished but not too strict. Intelligent but with a great sense of not cynical humor. I really like it.

I find it surprising that some people can't feel the ginger, to my nose a fresh just cut juicy ginger root is there on top from the very beginning into the base notes. I love it, I've been wanting to buy Sisley 3 for a while because of this fresh ginger, but here it is even better as it melts with soft fresh translucent tuberose. The sandalwood base is kept light too. And (this is great news) the fresh clean but not boring effect lasts and projects.

The only other perfume with a nice combo of ginger and tuberose that I know is the long lost Fragile by Jean Paul Gaultier, created back in 1999 by a very young Francis Kurkdjian, which of course I enjoy and admire. While Fragile is dense and has a spicy oriental base, Twilly preserves the freshness all the way, connecting with Hermes perfume aesthetics since ever. It is not only a Jean Claude Ellena's thing, if you think of many previous offerings of the house by other perfumers, the fresh effect was pursued long before Ellena's arrival. Think of Hiris or Amazone Eau de Fraicheur. I find most of Hermes perfumes fresh, even some of the classic are, my loved Caleche is much fresher and tart than other of its contemporary cousins. Of course there are a few exceptions like Parfum d'Hermes and Faubourg 24, but that is another story.

I'm so happy that Hermes finally decided to give a try to my favorite note, and that it has done it in a way that allows us tuberose lovers to find a new angle for enjoying it, one tuberose we can carelessly spray on for any daytime situation and season, totally inoffensive but full of personality.

Anessa 13 months ago
Could never stomach the sharp flavour of Fortnum&Masons' Old Fashioned Ginger biscuits. Thanks for the childhood flashbacks, Twilly.+2
Isocelle 19 months ago

by Manuelag
by Parfumaddict
by Parfumaddict

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès