Un Jardin après la Mousson (2008)

Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès
Un Jardin après la Mousson is a perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2008. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

Grass, Ginger, Ginger blossom, Cardamom, Coriander, Lime, Pepper, Vetiver, Lemon

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 01.06.2017

Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
K1
Post-rain smell obsession
A sheer and spicy fresh powdery perfume. I imagine Éllena was drunk after a party, while playing loosely at piano suddenly captures an idea and creates. Un Jardin Après la Mousson has wet, soil-like fungal effect within the spicy yummy pattern. Éllena knows how to capture the messages of nature and turn it loyally to perfume. That makes him master perfume.
6/10
Well...
By far the most peculiar among the Jardin’s series, but in my opinion, only partially in a positive meaning. The main “pro” is that this smells undoubtedly way more creative than the others, it’s a really intriguing concept which actually succeeds in recreating the feel of a bracing garden just after a rain storm. Wet woods, wet grass... and – here’s the “con” – a couple of totally unrelated notes which make me wonder what “jardin” has just rained on, precisely. Basically the core accord of this Mousson smells to me as a surreal edible nightmare made with melon ice cream, cucumber and mushrooms. Not joking: it’s precisely and literally what I smell here. I haven’t a clue of what this may be due to, I guess part of this comes from ginger; but besides a nice musky-camphorous sort of “warm” spicy accord, a subtle citrus top note and a vetiver base note, I get that. Melon ice cream, cucumber and porcini mushrooms. Which as you may guess, it’s something none would want to smell of (I hope). The drydown goes a bit better, a bit woodier and drier, but still that’s the smell. So I get the aquatic rendition is really peculiar here, with a sort of spicy-mineral-camphorous-fruity twist, and I get this is by far the most unique and creative among this line, but for me it’s just this close to a nonsense scrubber. Mild thumbs up just because I admit it’s a matter of personal taste and I acknowledge the quality of ingredients and the creativity involved.

5,5-6/10
Scent 6.0/10
Ellena's wet, earthy spicefield
The ginger and pepper really pop out to my nose, at least during the first 30 minutes. I also get a moist, wet, rainy vibe. This scent really gives me a great visual image of what Ellena had in mind when creating this. I've had the same experience with Un Jardin Sur Le Toit. Ellena is a wonderful man! It's almost as if I'm walking through the spicefields in India after a heavy rain.

This is very spicy but in a fresh way, though I don't find this an everyday scent at all. It's very earthy and wet. I find it to be quite sharp. It's strange how things change as I liked it the first time I tried it, but shortly after that it made me nauseous when I smelled it. I've heard people talk about a melon vibe which I understand, perhaps that's what turned me off from this.
Bottle 7.5/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
Gin sling
Hendricks Gin and Apres La Mousson seem unlikely bedfellows but the mind of this reviewer pays homage to Passage to India, A Jewel in the Crown and a nip of W. Somerset Maugham into the bargain. There is a metholated burst at the opening and the gin kicks in. How odd that a Frenchman encapsulated the Raj in this way.
I observe the gamine eyes of the Fishing Fleet narrowing at the spiced nuances of ALM. I'm sure they wore Jicky, thick with quintessential lavender, or whatever preceded it. Come hither, said the spider to the fly, be seduced by the stunning beauty of Indian women who didn't perfume themselves with the contents of a Turkish brothel. This, surely, is what evaporated from their skin; Melon, cinnamon, and tulasi, the holy basil. Seduction of a different kind.

He's a clever man, that JCE. Only for the broadminded, this piece of history. As our summers are sub-tropical in the North I enjoy APLM at that time. This is my choice of fragrance if we eat at Thai or Indian restaurants. Note: The reference to the Fishing Fleet is the stinging name given to English women of good family sent to India to find a husband from the (single) serving officers of the Raj.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Clever juxtaposition of "watery" versus "spicy"
In his recent book "Journal d'un parfumeur" Ellena wonders why this EdT from the Jardin-Collection flopped. I'm a fan of Monsieuer Ellena and I think he is right about many things he says about the relationship between perfume&art. His fragrances are created in his mind, he "writes perfumes" and is - what a rare case in the industry - an independent artist striving to achieve harmony, simplicity and emotional depth in a fragrance, always leaving some intentional gaps in his creations, gaps the "reader" - in this case the wearer of his perfumes - have to fill for themselves. You might subsequently call him the Wolfgang Iser of perfumes ....
With regard to "La Mousson" I personally fill the gap by associating a freshly prepared oriental salad, i.e. the connotations are too foody for me. "Un Jardin apres la Mousson" is good, but the cucumber and cardamon note in it is very special. Give it a try if you like a juxtaposition of watery (cucumber-lemon) vs spicy (cardamon-ginger-pepper) aromas.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 4.0/10
A Monsoon in Spring
Opens with dry earth with the presence
not listed in the notes is galbanum with it's leafy greenish scent then dries with
Cardamom a spicy ginger extract and if you
don't even notice i can even pick up a scent of oregano dry and delectable then
the fiery scent of Coriander starts steeping through making this scent like
a lush spice garden in late spring afternoon then pure yellow ginger spices
dries to an powdery finish.

I would love this scent if it didn't have that nauseating green note opening
but this scent would be promising with
out it.

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Rocabar by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès