Un Jardin en Méditerranée (2003)

Un Jardin en Méditerranée is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Orange, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesOrange blossom, White oleander
Base Notes Base NotesFig leaf, Musk, Pistachio, Red cedar, Juniper, Cypress

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 17.07.2019

Gigli
With me unfortunately: Un jardin et un bac à compost
With all due respect, Monsieur Ellena, and with all the longing for Ellena beauties that are no longer produced: in this garden I land - after a very, very short, fresh nose full of southern garden sun - again and again with a painful plop right next to the compost heap. I smell the citrus-fresh ingredients very briefly, it remains a little sweet blossom scent, that's orange, isn't it? ... but again I realize that I can't get away from this compost. I'd rather get back to the Nile quickly - it also has a hint of overripe green, but I can handle it much better!
9.0 6.0 6.0 8.0/10

Sommerling? Eccentric
Oops! He scared the shit out of me. I almost dropped the bottle after the first sprayer. Where are the citrus fruits, the white-flowering oleander, the view of the blue sea? Instead of in the Mediterranean garden, I'm standing in front of a log cabin. Through the small window, a bearded treasure peeps through, brewing mysterious tinctures against lunar addiction or foot warts in a coniferous forest solitude. It smells strange, incredibly bitter - it must taste bitter, otherwise it doesn't work.

While I am still thinking about how to send the wrong purchase back on the road in the most elegant way, there is already a first change to be noticed. The bitter notes are painstakingly raised like a morning mist, a timid fruity sweetness slowly fights its way out, accompanied by a few flowers. This mixes with herbaceous bitter fog in a way that I find truly remarkable, in the sense of unusual, memorable. In the further process I sniff myself again and again, and slowly my nose believes the Mediterranean garden. I look for an old, scurrilous bank, enjoy the view and even have a glimpse of the sea between the blossoming bushes. The thought of the souk is lost. The pretty bottle now gets a place on the bathroom cornice after all.

What happened olfactorically confuses me. The pyramid already sees the citrus notes in the opening, only at the end the woods and junipers. Something completely different is happening to me. As a somehow still beginner, I find something like this totally exciting. Maybe somebody can explain the fig to me again, I can't really locate it - does it contribute to the bitter notes? In any case, I like the fragrance despite initial doubts, definitely something you don't smell at every corner.

7.0 4.0 6.0 7.5/10

Imaginary Fig Tree Garden
When Un Jardin en Méditerranée hit the skin, I immediately thought of pine, like what I had encountered in Annick Goutal's Ninféo Mio, which seems to be the fig leaf note that tricked me. I don't get much citrus. It's not aquatic to me, either. It has woodsy and aromatic caracters to my nose, green without sharpness. After about 3 or 4 hours, some creamy fig sweetness surfaces, but never overpowers the woods and aromatic plants. I also get a whiff of rich creamy pistachio at some moments, but it's very subtle.

The sillage is close, but it stays solidly on my skin for about 6 hours, which is really not bad for an EDT in such a hot summer day. While Ninféo Mio has a similar theme but has a lot of other stuff going on, Un Jardin en Méditerranée remains firmly to the fig tree theme and clean. A sort of pick-me-up fragrance, but with excellent quality and interesting caracters.
8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

Invitation to linger
You can spend a whole day in this garden: listening to the singing of the ascending larks from the nearby fields already in the morning.
The sun already greeted the day, but the morning coolness is still above the landscape; the conifers, loosely distributed in the area, welcome the warm light and also me with a pleasant spice.
If you like cedars and cypresses and also their slightly resinous scent, you will feel right at home here.
It is an invitation to take a leisurely stroll through the morning, for a light breakfast outdoors.

The rising sun now reaches the small grove of citrus trees; the scents of invigorating lemon and warm, heart-warming orange and the famous bergamot unfold.
Also their dark lacquered foliage sends a fine fragrance into the already warmer air.
These nuances fit wonderfully to the resinous spice of the conifers.
This freshness is also very welcome in the course of the increasing day.
The cicadas begin in the midday sun with their not even quiet entertainment of their surroundings.
Their "cockroaches" can hardly be overheard; they provide the sound for the transition into the fragrant afternoon.
Well, already the Privy Councillor Goethe said: "Happy are the cicadas, for they have mute women!"
In the late afternoon the wish appears from time to time: "Oh, their men would be mute too!"

Under the power of the sun does not develop the aromatic scents of the flower bundles of white oleanders. What splendour are these in their large tubs that were placed almost arbitrarily in the garden.
Now the orange blossom is added; more delicate and finer than the oleander - a fragile, slightly waxy work of art.
With a fragrance that is not traded at the top of the aromatherapy list for no reason.
Together with Neroli the orange blossom flatters heart and soul: so here too!
The fingered foliage of the figs, which they also often represent in this Mediterranean garden, now mixes with the existing scent chord.
Not loud and exciting, but with a light green veil whose fragrance flatters the splendour of the flowers: together they sway gently in the afternoon breeze.
This is the moment to visit the Hollywood swing covered with thick cushions and look out for a first cocktail.
As the afternoon progresses, the spice of cypress and cedar increases again and now the juniper finally plays along in the concert of fragrance aromas!
The light evening insulation, in its velvety softness, brings a good measured dose of musk.
Together with the oily pistachio (a fine green scent that always seems a little creamy due to the oil content), the fragrance painting of the day is completed.
The citrically bright fresh green floats on spicy coniferous wood; summer blossoms exude generously many facets of their fragrant beauty until - punctually to the nightingale blow - a new batch of resinous spice, here bedded on soft musk, greets the velvety night in an atmospheric way.

"Un Jardin en Méditarranée" is an elegant fresh summer lady with that certain something!
It is a fragrance that accompanies you unexcitedly but stimulatingly throughout the day.
The interesting thing about this work of art is that it can have been created at any desired place in the Mediterranean. The scents are so cleverly combined that this garden is not only located in the south of France.
This fragrance symphony from Hermès can thus be a kind of "flying aroma carpet" to every individual desired point!
It invites us to "slow down" and linger.
It is definitely worth accepting this invitation
6.0 7.0 4.0 8.5/10

MasterLi
The scent of green figs...
Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of the Un Jardin series of fragrances. I love the work of Jean-Claude Ellena and find that his work is nothing short of superb in every aspect. I had been wanting to try this perfume for a long time.

Finally, I've been wearing it recently and have enjoyed it. My initial preconception was that it would be a sweet, juicy fig type of scent, much like Acqua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo: Fico di Amalfi, however here is a green figgy scent which is more in keeping with the same style as Un Jardin Sur le Nil, another green fragrance. I must say that as a fig perfume, I do prefer the Acqua di Parma version. However this one does make me feel that if you didn't like Sur le Nil (i.e. you found it "too green") then you would like this instead.

Overall, this is well worth a try in my opinion, if you like fresh, spring & summer fragrances with substance. A masterful effort from Jean-Claude Ellena.

K1
Summer weather, leisure, resorts, and cocktails
Un Jardin En Mediterranée is a soft aromatic fragrance around fig and conifer with insisting floral base. A little odd, but so nice. A bit gourmand (or let me say gastronomic) with tomato paste smell.
6.5/10

LicoriceRain
Lemony orange blossom fades fast!
My first impression of Un Jardin en Mediterranee was light, floral, feminine. But after wearing awhile, there is a light touch of fresh vegetables straight from the ground, probably from the “fig woods” note(s). I wish they were stronger because I prefer something heavier. And maybe a little patchouli in the base would bring out that vegetal pungency, making it last longer than an hour. Overall, a lemony orange blossom that fades fast.
5.0/10

Handbag Spray Needed to Sustain
What I adore most about this scent is how easily it rounds out my perfume wardrobe; it's different from anything I've ever smelled. It's the distinct wooden open, so unique. Beneath the wood is green, almost Bvlgari Green Tea green. My only hesitation in keeping this scent is that it doesn't keep on the skin. It's too close to the skin, and whatever unique wood notes pull me in, leave me hanging, wishing they stuck around longer.
7.0/10

10-15 minutes of bliss
Un Jardin en Méditerranée has everything I could possibly want in a fragrance: an abundance of conifer notes, a blended citrus accord of lemon and orange rather than straight up lemon, unisex florals, fig and fig leaf and best of all it’s a Jean Claude Ellena creation. After wearing Un Jardin en Méditerranée the first time I also found it has a strong experiential connection.

A few years ago my family was lucky enough to visit the beautiful gardens of Villa Monastero Varenna on Lago di Como (see a picture of the gardens in my photo album). To capture the experience of being in the gardens all you have to do is apply Un Jardin en Méditerranée and immediately you will be transported to the grounds of the monastery. In the photo you can actually see most of the fragrant notes. You’re surrounded by shady, aromatic cypress, juniper and cedar. The floral notes are in full bloom yet their fragrance is as balanced as being in the garden itself. Low growing figs line the mossy stone walls and as you lift your gaze to view the chilly peaks of the Alps you see lemons hanging directly over head. The counterpoint of notes in Un Jardin en Méditerranée is perfectly balanced and has a three dimentional quality. At this point, it may very well be one of my favorite fragrances of all time. Unfortunately, this perfectly constructed intersection of memory and scent lasts only 10-15 minutes before the illusion slowly dissolves. It's as though Un Jardin en Méditerranée heaves a melancholy sigh signaling the arrival of autumn and the dry, drab browns and grays of that season.

In the perfume blog “Olfactoria’s Travels”, Olfactoria describes her favorite fig fragrances:
“One of them is Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermes, but it has a sadness to it, that is not always what I want.”

Unfortunately Olfactoria describes what Un Jardin en Méditerranée becomes in the final stage of its development. What was once the scent of a beautiful summer garden, becomes an autumn day that has lost all of its sweet, floral and aromatic qualities. This October day is overcast and melancholy. Fig becomes the predominant accord but lacking all the green lightness we associate with its fresh fruit and leaves. Now it has the dark molassesy aroma of dry, leathery, wind fallen fruit. The bergamot looses all it's connection to citrus and takes on more of its dry tea fragrance. The conifers lose their green piney airiness becoming more herbal than aromatic. Even the citrus and florals meld together in a tired sort of way losing their spunk and sweetness.

I still wear Un Jardin en Méditerranée on occasion but the experience can be a little sad and, as Olfactoria said, “...that is not always what I want.”

AmberScent 4 days ago
Too much green, fig and cypress! and I like it all the way!
If you want a definition for "Fresh & Elegant", it's Un Jardin en Méditerranée!+3
Danielle 6 months ago
Exciting - Marwellous+2
Lillibet 16 months ago
A light citrus burst opens into lush fruity green fig on a woody base. Enjoyable to wear & the most versatile of the Hermes Jardin series.+2
9.0
4.0
Hermesh 3 years ago
Sweetish and tart grassy notes in playful rotation. Above all is a nice touch of Mediterranean freshness. The theme skillfully implemented.+1
6.0

by Challenger
by Challenger
by Jasmine87
by Jasmine87
by Lizzy89
by Lizzy89
Im Hintergrund der Garten von Hermes in Südfrankreich. Hier arbeitete Elléna.
by Hibernation
by Hibernation
by Daisy
by Daisy
by Sherapop
by Sherapop

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès Eau des Merveilles by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin en Méditerranée by Hermès Le Jardin de Monsieur Li by Hermès Jour d'Hermès (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Parfum) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Un Jardin après la Mousson by Hermès Terre d'Hermès Eau Très Fraîche by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Twilly d'Hermès by Hermès