Un Jardin en Méditerranée 2003

Un Jardin en Méditerranée is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2003. The scent is fresh-green. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamotBergamot
PistachioPistachio
Red cedarRed cedar
JuniperJuniper
CypressCypress

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 27.11.2021.

Summer love
One of my first "hidden gems" that i came across when I started my journey years ago was this fragrance. A masterful composition by one of my favorites Perfumers, mister Jean-Claude Ellena.

He arrived at Hermès in 2003, and the first fragrance that he created was this one. This is probably one of my favorite spring/summer fragrances and even after these years and hundreds of fragrances tested, this is still a staple and a must have in my collection. My girlfriend steal it sometimes, cause she loves it too.

So what it smells like? Basically, a fresh, green, Mediterranean breeze in a summer afternoon. It starts off with a tomato steam accord. Very bitter, green but, still, with juicy and fruity elements. There's a cypress note that helps accentuate the green aspect and some nuttiness that camera from nowhere. Some would say pistachio, but i don't smell that.

Above this, and as the perfume develope, the fig tree and the leafs came to play and make this even more summery and refreshing. A true Mediterranean feel.

I live in a place where Fig trees can easily be found and i also a big fan of the smell and the fruit itself. This, although not the perfect reinterpretation of the Fig theme, it's definitely in the top 10 and, as a fresh-green scent, is probably one of the best. I love all the facets. The green cypress and fig leafs, the nuttiness, the refreshing tomato steam accord, the overall summer afternoon feel. A very good company on a summer afternoon walk after beach.

If you don't know this fragrance and love fig trees and wish for summer holidays in Italy, test this one out. Grab your sunglasses, put on your favorite flip-flops, a tripped t-shirt and some shorts, close your eyes and enjoy the Mediterranean breeze that this fragrance creates in the air.

Just a sidenote, the performance is not the greatest but it's decent. 5-6h with good projection in the first hour.

4/5

PS: I would give it a 5* rating but we have to be honest, objetive and unbiased. A very recommended one and my favorite from the line, with Un Jardin Sur Le Nil being a very close second.

Smellavision
A slightly woody floral with a southern european feel...
Fig tree, cedar and mastic tree blending with orange blossom, grass, bergamot and white musk. The fig note is not as creamy as usually found (i.e. in Philosykos) but more of a "green" fig. It's unisex but leaning slightly feminine, fresh, green and quite natural. A little sweet and a little sour, but the fig is still the main player here.
I find it quite light (as with others of the Hermes Jardin line) but again, this makes a great scent for smaller spaces like airplane flights, as it's quite subtle and not overpowering. Projection dies down after a couple of hours and it becomes a skinscent.
Very peaceful, casual and calming. Unfortunately, my GF found this scent to have a slight "urine" vibe when I wear it, so the bottle ultimately had to go.

BTW, am I the only one, who's reminded of the smell of a greenhouse with this one?
Italy
For years my favorite scent for the summer months. The mixture of cypress and the freshness of orange and bergamot always carries me to the Italian coast on a warm summer evening. The special scent of sunlit fig leaves I smell 'unfortunately' not. I'm still desperately looking for that
Gigli
With me unfortunately: Un jardin et un bac à compost
With all due respect, Monsieur Ellena, and with all the longing for Ellena beauties that are no longer produced: in this garden I land - after a very, very short, fresh nose full of southern garden sun - again and again with a painful plop right next to the compost heap. I smell the citrus-fresh ingredients very briefly, it remains a little sweet blossom scent, that's orange, isn't it? ... but again I realize that I can't get away from this compost. I'd rather get back to the Nile quickly - it also has a hint of overripe green, but I can handle it much better!
Sommerling? Eccentric
Oops! He scared the shit out of me. I almost dropped the bottle after the first sprayer. Where are the citrus fruits, the white-flowering oleander, the view of the blue sea? Instead of in the Mediterranean garden, I'm standing in front of a log cabin. Through the small window, a bearded treasure peeps through, brewing mysterious tinctures against lunar addiction or foot warts in a coniferous forest solitude. It smells strange, incredibly bitter - it must taste bitter, otherwise it doesn't work.

While I am still thinking about how to send the wrong purchase back on the road in the most elegant way, there is already a first change to be noticed. The bitter notes are painstakingly raised like a morning mist, a timid fruity sweetness slowly fights its way out, accompanied by a few flowers. This mixes with herbaceous bitter fog in a way that I find truly remarkable, in the sense of unusual, memorable. In the further process I sniff myself again and again, and slowly my nose believes the Mediterranean garden. I look for an old, scurrilous bank, enjoy the view and even have a glimpse of the sea between the blossoming bushes. The thought of the souk is lost. The pretty bottle now gets a place on the bathroom cornice after all.

What happened olfactorically confuses me. The pyramid already sees the citrus notes in the opening, only at the end the woods and junipers. Something completely different is happening to me. As a somehow still beginner, I find something like this totally exciting. Maybe somebody can explain the fig to me again, I can't really locate it - does it contribute to the bitter notes? In any case, I like the fragrance despite initial doubts, definitely something you don't smell at every corner.

Imaginary Fig Tree Garden
When Un Jardin en Méditerranée hit the skin, I immediately thought of pine, like what I had encountered in Annick Goutal's Ninféo Mio, which seems to be the fig leaf note that tricked me. I don't get much citrus. It's not aquatic to me, either. It has woodsy and aromatic caracters to my nose, green without sharpness. After about 3 or 4 hours, some creamy fig sweetness surfaces, but never overpowers the woods and aromatic plants. I also get a whiff of rich creamy pistachio at some moments, but it's very subtle.

The sillage is close, but it stays solidly on my skin for about 6 hours, which is really not bad for an EDT in such a hot summer day. While Ninféo Mio has a similar theme but has a lot of other stuff going on, Un Jardin en Méditerranée remains firmly to the fig tree theme and clean. A sort of pick-me-up fragrance, but with excellent quality and interesting caracters.
Invitation to linger
You can spend a whole day in this garden: listening to the singing of the ascending larks from the nearby fields already in the morning.
The sun already greeted the day, but the morning coolness is still above the landscape; the conifers, loosely distributed in the area, welcome the warm light and also me with a pleasant spice.
If you like cedars and cypresses and also their slightly resinous scent, you will feel right at home here.
It is an invitation to take a leisurely stroll through the morning, for a light breakfast outdoors.

The rising sun now reaches the small grove of citrus trees; the scents of invigorating lemon and warm, heart-warming orange and the famous bergamot unfold.
Also their dark lacquered foliage sends a fine fragrance into the already warmer air.
These nuances fit wonderfully to the resinous spice of the conifers.
This freshness is also very welcome in the course of the increasing day.
The cicadas begin in the midday sun with their not even quiet entertainment of their surroundings.
Their "cockroaches" can hardly be overheard; they provide the sound for the transition into the fragrant afternoon.
Well, already the Privy Councillor Goethe said: "Happy are the cicadas, for they have mute women!"
In the late afternoon the wish appears from time to time: "Oh, their men would be mute too!"

Under the power of the sun does not develop the aromatic scents of the flower bundles of white oleanders. What splendour are these in their large tubs that were placed almost arbitrarily in the garden.
Now the orange blossom is added; more delicate and finer than the oleander - a fragile, slightly waxy work of art.
With a fragrance that is not traded at the top of the aromatherapy list for no reason.
Together with Neroli the orange blossom flatters heart and soul: so here too!
The fingered foliage of the figs, which they also often represent in this Mediterranean garden, now mixes with the existing scent chord.
Not loud and exciting, but with a light green veil whose fragrance flatters the splendour of the flowers: together they sway gently in the afternoon breeze.
This is the moment to visit the Hollywood swing covered with thick cushions and look out for a first cocktail.
As the afternoon progresses, the spice of cypress and cedar increases again and now the juniper finally plays along in the concert of fragrance aromas!
The light evening insulation, in its velvety softness, brings a good measured dose of musk.
Together with the oily pistachio (a fine green scent that always seems a little creamy due to the oil content), the fragrance painting of the day is completed.
The citrically bright fresh green floats on spicy coniferous wood; summer blossoms exude generously many facets of their fragrant beauty until - punctually to the nightingale blow - a new batch of resinous spice, here bedded on soft musk, greets the velvety night in an atmospheric way.

"Un Jardin en Méditarranée" is an elegant fresh summer lady with that certain something!
It is a fragrance that accompanies you unexcitedly but stimulatingly throughout the day.
The interesting thing about this work of art is that it can have been created at any desired place in the Mediterranean. The scents are so cleverly combined that this garden is not only located in the south of France.
This fragrance symphony from Hermès can thus be a kind of "flying aroma carpet" to every individual desired point!
It invites us to "slow down" and linger.
It is definitely worth accepting this invitation

MasterLi
The scent of green figs...
Let me start by saying that I am a huge fan of the Un Jardin series of fragrances. I love the work of Jean-Claude Ellena and find that his work is nothing short of superb in every aspect. I had been wanting to try this perfume for a long time.

Finally, I've been wearing it recently and have enjoyed it. My initial preconception was that it would be a sweet, juicy fig type of scent, much like Acqua di Parma - Blu Mediterraneo: Fico di Amalfi, however here is a green figgy scent which is more in keeping with the same style as Un Jardin Sur le Nil, another green fragrance. I must say that as a fig perfume, I do prefer the Acqua di Parma version. However this one does make me feel that if you didn't like Sur le Nil (i.e. you found it "too green") then you would like this instead.

Overall, this is well worth a try in my opinion, if you like fresh, spring & summer fragrances with substance. A masterful effort from Jean-Claude Ellena.

K1
Summer weather, leisure, resorts, and cocktails
Un Jardin En Mediterranée is a soft aromatic fragrance around fig and conifer with insisting floral base. A little odd, but so nice. A bit gourmand (or let me say gastronomic) with tomato paste smell.
6.5/10

LicoriceRain
Lemony orange blossom fades fast!
My first impression of Un Jardin en Mediterranee was light, floral, feminine. But after wearing awhile, there is a light touch of fresh vegetables straight from the ground, probably from the “fig woods” note(s). I wish they were stronger because I prefer something heavier. And maybe a little patchouli in the base would bring out that vegetal pungency, making it last longer than an hour. Overall, a lemony orange blossom that fades fast.

TombbbTombbb 1 year ago
Very dry, not sweet, green scent. A bit creamy in drydown thanks to musk, strong fig leaf and pistacchio, with wood and citruses. Very good
CatarinaCatarina 2 years ago
Fresh and green hapiness for Summer use. The drydown mixes pine trees with fig and it's a real pleasure for the nose.
AmberScentAmberScent 2 years ago
Too much green, fig and cypress! and I like it all the way!
If you want a definition for "Fresh & Elegant", it's Un Jardin en Méditerranée!
DanielleDanielle 3 years ago
Exciting - Marwellous
LillibetLillibet 4 years ago
A light citrus burst opens into lush fruity green fig on a woody base. Enjoyable to wear & the most versatile of the Hermes Jardin series.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Sweetish and tart grassy notes in playful rotation. Above all is a nice touch of Mediterranean freshness. The theme skillfully implemented.

by Challenger
by LaPerleNoire
by LaPerleNoire
by FrauKirsche
by FrauKirsche
Im Hintergrund der Garten von Hermes in Südfrankreich. Hier arbeitete Elléna.
by Hibernation
by YellowIcicle
by Meinesonne85
by Meinesonne85

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès 24, Faubourg (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès