Un Jardin sur le Nil (2005)

Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès
Bottle Design Illustration: Véronique de Mareuil
Un Jardin sur le Nil is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2005. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesGrapefruit, Green mango, Carrot, Tomato vine
Heart Notes Heart NotesCalamus, Lotus, Hyacinth, Peony
Base Notes Base NotesSycamore maple, Frankincense

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 02.06.2020.

Lola82Lola82 8 years ago

„Lotus on the nile”

This smells like a luscious greenhouse garden with blooming flowers and riped and fresh vegetables very different from the usual retinue line up of fragrances...
Isabelle1Isabelle1 5 years ago

„Disappointment ”

A blind buy, supposed Hermes would be good, what a disappointment this was, It really smells like the Nile in certain areas at the hights of summer to my nose, and I don't...

HugoMontez
A garden full of vegetables and incense.
Jean Claude Ellena is a master parfumer well known for his natural creations. I love his work and some of their fragrances are among my favorites of all time. Déclaration, Terre D'Hermès, Un Jardin en Mediterranée, to name a few.

This is probably his most talked about just because all of his story around his creation. And its a very complex, yet simple fragrance. It starts green, then juicy, then flowery, then incensy. The incense is not super evident and strong but its there making the whole composition great, interesting and with some depth.
I confess i didn't love it at first and rejected it for some years just because i though it didn't have anything special. Until i bought it and spent some time with it.

Talking about the smell itself, it starts off very green with the tomato leaf and the carrot, manly. It's a unique and natural combo smelling. As if you were in a garden full of vegetables and some juicy fruits. Grapefruit and mango are here too but i detect more grapefruit which gives this sweet juicy vibe. After a while i reach the Nil. The mid notes are composed mainly by flowers and Lotus is the more proeminent. Gives a watery and transparent vibe to the fragrance. The greeness mellows down and this watery, soft flower vibe along with the juicy grapefruit stays for some hours.

Between these flowers and grapefruits you'll find a frankincense note, underneath this composition. You'll detect it some hours later and it's when you realize that this travel was worth it and the Nil is there. That's the twist! The pièce de résistence of this fragrance. The glue that makes the whole composition works and yet, it's the more subdued. But that's the way Ellena wanted to be. There's a Timbuktu vibe going on sometimes due to Mango-Incense combo, although, Sur Le Nil is greener and watery.

The projection is average and longevity is around 6h but for this type of fragrance, i think is adequate.

Overall, an excellent freshie done right and with some twists.
4/5
AndreaWien
The other day at the gym
Once again, as so often, I wanted to do something for my health and went to my favourite studio, when suddenly a fragrance floated past me. He looked so familiar. Citrusy and flowery, carried by a companion in his prime. I thought, it can't be, the scent looks so familiar, but here in the gym?
I took another whiff. Yes, that was him. One of my favorite scents, and I addressed the lady. Yes, the suspected scent she was wearing. She herself didn't notice it anymore. The most beautiful scents of a southern garden surrounded her and made her want to go on holiday. Perhaps Sicily, a small holiday home in a lemon or orange grove?

Well, that will have to wait a little longer, but I wear this scent again more often now and like to spray it with 4 or 5 also on my clothes. I want to feel it on me for a long time. On my clothes it also keeps fresh and fruity for a very long time. On myself also fresh and fruity even after hours. With the time it becomes more flowery, but keeps the freshness. For me it is wearable in everyday life, as well as in the evening and also in every season Thank you Mr. Ellena

PS: and that, although I do not like incense at all, but I do not perceive it either
Serenissima
Su! del Nilo a sacre lido ...
Of course I immediately remember the huge choir from Verdi's "Aida": the priesthood, led by the high priest Ramphis, the Pharaoh and his entourage go "to the holy shores of the Nile" to ask for the blessing for a renewed war of Egypt against Ethiopia.
Among them are also the general Radames and the slave Aida.
The further story is known until its bitter end for the two lovers.
Verdi has once again skilfully set a "crowd of people" to music; not only this one covers the stage in waves, but also the sounds are powerful and remain in the memory.
Especially natural if you spent a warm summer evening with it in the Arena di Verona.
Then, even after years, the "goose-bump feeling" is still spreading regularly with every note.

For Hermès' "Un Jardin sur le Nil" the "holy river" must have washed a lot of fertile soil.
For what has settled down in this garden: not only the green, which likes to stand with its feet in the water, but also unexpected flowers can be found.
Grapefruit and mango go a little under with me first of all: the tomato tendril dominates with its defiant smell.
Like geraniums, tomatoes react very stubbornly when they are touched: they let our noses know that they don't like it at all.
Its aroma is correspondingly strict, but not unwelcome here as a fragrance prelude. The bitter freshness of the grapefruit, which flickers here quietly, harmonises well, but quickly goes down.
Calamus, a swamp plant, native to this garden, accompanied by a slightly camphor-like scent in the fragrant green. He must also play his part in this composition: the result is strange, even if surprisingly pleasant.
Hyacinth and peony, both not sparingly scented as is well known, lend the strong ambience not only radiant colours but also a special charm: floral scents spread and extend the rich green aromas with luminous facets.
The fragrant impression - I feel like Claude Monet's "Water Lily Pictures", the "Nymphea" - is underlined by the beauty of the lotus blossoms.
(Last I saw lotus blossoms in the old "Victoria Regia" house of our Botanical Garden. For a long time it was closed because of construction work and I remember getting this typical Berlin answer to my question about the reopening: "Good woman! Do you know when the BER will open? Well, look!"
Meanwhile the new Victoria Regia house can be visited again.)
These multi-layered green tones flatter the sense of smell and create the illusion of a garden "influenced" by the favour of a river in the truest sense of the word Wonderful incense, here as partner of the light wood of the sycamore maple, leads back to my comment title: smoky resins underline the charm of this living fragrance; the entry of the priesthood into the temple seems to take shape.
"Un Jardin sur le Nil locks me in with all its magic.
After passing through the gate that Hermès opens here for me, I not only feel refreshed.
No, even my senses seem pleasantly invigorated and I perceive many things that otherwise tend to glide past me in summer heat.
The "holy river" has awakened here a quite unusual fragrance garden; its essence was bottled in flacons and accompanied for some summer hours, before the fragrance quietly says goodbye.
What remains on my skin is a slight hint of peonies; more suspected than really perceived.

Beautiful and hospitable he is, this green garden, in which always a light humidity is to be felt.
This Hermès garden fragrance still holds the magic of its beginnings; apparently its creation was not yet a "must": an originality surrounds me.
Therefore many thanks to Meggi, who provided me with this sample. He made this sensual journey possible for me
Beere
Garden on the Nile in Egypt?
Is that the smell of a garden on the Nile?
A garden at the Nile I imagine rather flowery-oriental, since Egypt would be to be classified nevertheless rather for me in such a way.
But this is my personal opinion about the name of this beautiful fragrance.

This one smells green to me with a light citric touch.
Like a handful of fresh, moist green which is gently blown through the air by a cool breeze. Next to it there is a grapefruit tree, which gives it a light citric tang. In the background there are a few gentle flowers that gently weigh in the fresh wind.

That's how the scent works on me and I love it. He is a fresh and unobtrusive evergeher for women & men. It is easy to wear to hot temperatures without having to apply, whether in the office or leisure time, it gives you a nice fresh daytime.
Yoga for the nose
Somehow the beginning of my year is strange this time: instead of bootees I'm in the mood for pumps; I'm in the mood for music that I usually only like to hear on the balcony in summer; suddenly I start with yoga... and I dig out my summer scents (e.g. Un jardin sur le Nil) at the beginning of february, because I'm totally up for it right now.

Well, that may be because the winter here this year doesn't really get into the hooves. He's more of a... either winter light or autumn intense. But that doesn't explain why I can't wait to get my gym mat out every evening and bend to strange sounds - dear yogis: check me out.

Therefore I blame it also times on the more conscious perception (inhaling... exhaling...) that I like at the moment "Un jardin sur le Nil" very much. I've had him forever, loved him before and couldn't stand him for several years.

I never really found it suitable for a summer scent anyway. Although it's fresh, green and flowery, I always found it very static, not as transparent, fluffy and light as other summer fragrances.

I was never in Egypt, but I find the association dreamlike and somehow fitting: a glowing heat hangs over the land, but the garden on the banks of the Nile is cooled by wells and irrigation. This is what the humid air in it stands for, pressing but filled with the scent of the garden plants: fruits and vegetables, garden flowers and then, from afar, an oriental incense scent. Quiet, static, yet full of life. Well, a little artificial... but I don't care right now.

And then there is the similarity I feel to my current evening ritual: the yoga exercises make me calm, bring me down from everyday life and release new life energies. Yes, I think that sounds rather like an esoteric textbook, but I really feel that way right now.

In fact, the Nile Garden is my feel-good fragrance on the mat in the evening as well. Namaste!
Summer companion
I love him, and I can't without him. But really only in summer. Then no matter how hot it is, he always leaves. Fresh and fruity.
I also like fresh and uncomplicated fragrances. One of these isser.
He doesn't bother anyone... I think. Does not bite and is well tolerated.

Recently at the cashier asked the nice lady behind it what I would smell so great. Okay... so not such bad silage after all.
If I remember correctly, I am often asked about it. More often than on other heavy scents and silage monsters. Funny!

I cannot sniff out the individual components. The Nile is so complete and round. That's how he stays the whole time
Spiess
Thank you. I'll take care of it
I sat in the duty room with cheerful spirits
When that smell came around the corner.
So wonderful that I asked what kind of perfume that was The person opposite me, do you like your nose or what? Clearly I like it so pleasantly light, mild sweet especially a floral flora I am immediately there. Do you think I'd like to test a sprayer? Now, please! Not 10 minutes later I get to see the bottle. There is a feeling of well-being that I already see on the bottle that it is Hermes, that usually goes well with me. Anticipation and pressing is like in former times surprise opening eggs.
He stays with me for a long time, flowery floral elegance and the sweet one is well dosed. A boon. I thanked you for the sprayer and enjoyed the working day. There are special days, so one came and I got the bottle given by a much appreciated, dearly loved person.

I've learned for myself it doesn't always have to be the mega complex perfume with 3 levels and 4 turns. No simply being is also an art which I appreciate meanwhile very much

Stran
Alcohol with a little flowery aroma
Who buys this fragrance? for which occasion and for which season? it's pure alcohol with a bit of an indefinable aroma. you really don't need it

Un Jardin Sur Le Nil
Here is my video review of Jean-Claude Ellena's 2005 creation for Hermes. Probably one of the only fragrances i have encountered with a carrot and tomato vine note, this one is very interesting.

A Memory of Ancient Egypt
Oh, how long has it been. Before the Arab spring and the Muslim brothers, I visited Egypt. Even then not everything was vain sunshine, but there were cheerful people and an exuberant mood. Exactly then I was Luxor, visited the Valley of the Kings, the temple of Hatshepsut and made a Nile excursion on the true Nile sailers.

When I spray Un Jardin sur le Nil on my arm and sniff it, I immediately see the pictures in front of me again. He truly captures this aroma so perfectly. This mixture of dusty papyrus, moldy water, humid air, paired with the breath of fresh air when a breeze blows,

Fortunately I can say that it works on my skin, there it truly smells magically like Nile. However, I remember that I bought the scent from the turquoise at the time and the saleswoman panicked and advised me against it stinking. I had tested it before and knew what to expect, sprayed it on and together we smelled and she was really stunned. She sprayed the perfume on herself and I must say he smelled terrible on her skin. I guess Un Jardin sur le Nil really depends on the skin. So test it before testing. With me it works fortunately and I revel in my long gone dreams of the Nile again.

LillibetLillibet 2 years ago
This is what sent me tumbling down the scented rabbit-hole. Tangy green mango, an impression of pond water & lilies...unexpected & lovely.
Bcars10Bcars10 3 years ago
Very tangy and refreshing, but still it seems to be constantly morphing into new notes. Very mysterious. I like it!

Nildelta
by Santalwalti
E I L M E L D U N G: der Nil ist eingefroren ;)
alles im Fluss...
by Inse
by Kenshin
by Kenshin

Popular Hermès

Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Soie de Parfum) by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Hiris by Hermès Concentré de Pamplemousse Rose by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit by Hermès