Un Jardin sur le Toit 2011

Un Jardin sur le Toit is a popular perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is fresh-green. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Apple, Pear, Magnolia, Wild grass

Submitted by PontNeuf, last update on 25.10.2020.

the apple-rose toit
in my view, un jardin sur le Toit is the best of the line.I find it as a sort of l'ombre dans l'eau, for that combination of "green stem" and rose, but this garden is bathed by the mineralised and crystalline waters of Ellena.
also I do not get so relevant the fruity side as some of the reviewers tell -which I love- my feeling is rather closer to a green somewhat conceptual and sparkling.
Sur le Toit is the most floral of all, of a measured and harmonious floral , like the course of a stream in a meadow which magnetize whispering

Carboytony
Happily lounging on the roof
On my skin this is starts off as a beautiful crisp green - fresh cut green grass. Hints of juicy, sweet red apple come into focus intermittently. A very soft, slightly spicy tang of basil is just perceptible. Drying down, the florals arrive - soft, sweet rose being predominant, hints of magnolia play in the background. I also get a fluffy musk facet to this as well. In the base there's an interesting aroma of that fresh cut grass drying and decaying, the flowers desiccating. This is not an offensive or rotten aroma, nay, it's sightly sweet, still green-ish and maybe a bit woody. Gorgeous.
Magineer
The dream of the coming spring
I had my first encounter with Hermés' garden series with "Un Jardin sur le Nil" - at that time without knowing that I might one day mutate into a fraghead. I liked the scent very much and at that time I was too much unsettled by the shop assistant who brusquely dismissed my research (unisex!) with the words that it was really only suitable for women. The Nile garden, however, always remained in the back of my mind, and when fate played a sample of "Un Jardin sur le Toit" into my hands in the form of a super-lovely perfume (thank you, Serafina!), an immediate test was almost inevitable. And, to anticipate it, I was positively surprised!

The "roof garden" bears his name quite rightly. In the beginning, the fragrance pours out a few more baskets of flowers, but changes quite quickly to its wonderful light green heart, which actually comes across a bit softer (and thus by definition more feminine), but defends this gentle note with decent self-confidence. Whether roof garden or balcony is the focus of the projection is ultimately left to one's own imagination, but green lovers who like to change their forest scenarios more often won't do anything wrong here. The scenario leads us out of dark forests and lush jungles into a more domesticated environment, but the omnipresent fresh grass quickly combines with some nice spicy accents - some garden herbs interfere, in the background some cucumber and very well dosed pepper. The fruit (the apples and pears mentioned here) remain very quiet and hardly relevant to my nose, maybe they just contribute unobtrusively to the great overall concept of the fragrance.

What Jean-Claude Ellena has done here deserves the utmost respect. Maybe it's a matter of season: It's now mid-March, and after several rainy and stormy weeks, the sun has come out for the first time in the last few days. Longing for light, for warmth and spring, finally it has a glimmer of hope again. "Un Jardin sur le Toit" freshly sprayed on carries this longing outside, and a deep breath on the wetted skin protects the hope for the coming spring from setbacks from reality. Smell it once, and I am away from the much too early April weather here in Germany, arrived somewhere at the Mediterranean Sea or even as an artist of life on the roofs of Paris. But "Un Jardin sur le Toit" doesn't even dare to break out of the typical scent pyramid, doesn't get in the way, and is always perceived as a pleasant and very classic scent. The rest is left to your imagination...

The small drop of bitterness at the end: Typical for the garden series "Un Jardin sur le Toit" also holds back with the projection and doesn't linger on its own skin longer than absolutely necessary. After four to five hours the fascinating part of the fragrance is over, the base remains inconspicuous. But as Hermés does not hold out his hand too much for this series, spraying is (almost) not an issue, and thus, "Un Jardin sur le Toit" (beside the almost unassailable "Un Jardin sur le Nil") remains in any case a tip for all those who are as much dreading the invasion of the aquatics in spring as I am. Make a difference! :-)
Pinkdawn
Garden idyll at meta level
I don't know what it was anymore. This fine pen-and-ink drawing of Paris - where it is most lively and elegant - on the packaging board: everything in delicate black and white except for the summery roof garden up there, in Faubourg, Saint Honoré 24, the flagship of Hermés? Or the description of the scents of this unusual fragrance. But suddenly I had become curious what the scent might be there, in this roof garden in faraway Paris, which gave the perfume its name: un Jardin sur le Toit. It is a magnificent old building in the heart of the city, with a roof garden that everyone would like to have.

In the middle of the urban asphalt jungle it smells and blossoms in bright colours, while the world outside this refuge fades into colourlessness. Idyllic, a refuge, a romantic oasis in the middle of the big city - these are the associations that I immediately notice. Fruit trees, apples, pears, stone figures, a staircase, an English lawn, roses, white blossoms, mallows, magnolias ... a timeless idyll, a place of peace in the daily hustle and bustle ...

Of course I started to research what this famous garden looks like in reality. It's easy to find. You can find him on YouTube, Hermés' magic garden on the roof terrace. And that's not so rare at all.

It's spring right after spraying. No, but it was early summer. Because it gets fruity right away. Pear, it occurs to me, but there it has already risen in a green sweetness. She comes along slightly grassy. If she was a girl, she'd probably have freckles and a straw hat. And smiles at you. She saunters along, long, slender legs, tanned, light shorts. It brings the scent of freshly cut grass with it. Her smile is contagious. She sits with you, carefree, carefree. Everything is suddenly so light - like the little clouds up there in the blue sky. You suddenly feel fresh, cheerful. White flowers - playful and harmonious - conjure up an idyll around you. You enjoy the feeling of silence on a holiday day in summer. The trees shield the heat. But the scent is everywhere: sweet, yes, but also fruity and fresh.

If this fine sweetness had a color, it'd be green. A bright green with white flower spots here and there.
The scent makes you feel good. No question about it. But he's not banal. Au contraire! He has his secrets. For a moment, I think I can catch a whiff of rhubarb. And he's gone. But there is something - an herb. That must be lemon verbena. Also the smell of apples hovers around me. But they're still a little immature.

The garden's a little overgrown. High grasses sway in the wind. Rare plants exude grassy scents that tell of summer in a roof garden in the big city. People like to listen to them. Because they're poetic stories. A bit of Oscar Wilde.

The fragrance has gradually become a bit more bitter and dry. The aroma of wild grasses and herbs blows around me. The sweetness is slowly becoming a memory. The freshness is now that of just cut grass. An enchanting scent that I will never forget, I think.

Last summer I was seduced by Hermés' spicy citric unisex fragrance Concentré de Pamplemousse rose, but next summer I will be accompanied by the scent of jardin sur le toit. Sweet, spicy, dry, fresh, green and in between always fruity. A fragrance that immediately evokes memories: summer, garden, holidays ...

I must think of Leo Tolstoy: "All happy families are alike, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way" And reflect on whether all the gardens in which you were once happy, look alike in fragrance.

My garden is in the past. In fact, he was in Hamburg, on the outskirts of the city. Behind it, it was already rural. Gentle, black-and-white cows grazed there, which we fed with drop apples. Sometimes I wonder if it still exists, this garden of my childhood. But even if he still exists, he will remain closed to me forever. After the death of my grandmother, my parents sold the house and garden where I spent countless holidays
I sniff the back of my hand and think of my grandparents' garden. Do I recognize the scent? Yes, some notes are familiar to me: the freshly mown lawn, the fall apples, roses and berries. Everything somehow disordered, but inspiring.

The fragrance does not exhaust itself in fruit sweetness, fresh grass and white flowers. It is demanding - perhaps because it brings the garden idyll to a meta-level. I see the individual components happily whirling around in the playful battle for supremacy. This is not about concrete scents, but about emotions and impressions that briefly light up and immediately mix again in the round dance: cool, precious, fresh, green; fruits, dry sweetness, powdery, seductive, idiosyncratic. Close to nature and yet luxurious like queens playing shepherdesses in the park of Versailles. Pear, rosemary, apple, rose, grass, magnolia. Fruity, floral, juicy, but also light, airy. Still reasonably durable. High quality, but also somehow unfathomable and charmingly contradictory.

I sit under the apple tree and suddenly enlightenment comes to me: you can only enjoy this scent when you stop trying to fathom and analyse it. Just take him as he is, with open arms. Do you have to check or compare it all the time? I'm trying to re-experience him, unbiased. Now he seems trendy to me, dry, unisex, but nevertheless romantic in his own way. It has something longing and promising - like every beginning of summer.

If no one else gives you a Christmas present, you just have to give yourself something that brings joy. So I dared and ordered this not entirely cheap fragrance on the Internet, in a now or never action for Women's Day or something. Fortunately, the blind purchase was not a bad buy. I've sprayed the scent on several times at home and was happy about it. But I won't wear it properly until the beginning of summer. But then a lot, I already know that!

When I held the bottle in my hand for the first time, I already suspected that I would like the perfume: a dream of translucent green heavy crystal glass with rounded corners and edges. It's heavy at all - so not necessarily a case for the handbag to spray on (of course, I immediately indulged myself in the 100 ml edition...) - but it's still transparent, airy, clear and fresh, so it goes perfectly with the fragrance, which has the same qualities.

Durability and Sillage are not bad. The intensity was too low at first. In the meantime I know that the fragrance must not be too intense, because otherwise its transparency and lightness would no longer be noticeable.

Although the EdT is about 8 years old, I still find the fragrance refreshingly innovative and trendy. Anyone who enjoys sophisticated new fragrance creations that playfully combine natural magic with luxurious urban flair such as this Jardin sur le Toit will love this fragrance. Jean-Claude Ellena has really succeeded in doing something here that not only reflects the zeitgeist with its contradictions, but even condenses it. Is that poetry?

Red Apple Garden
The first 2 hours of Un Jardin sur le Toit is really pleasant. After the initial green opening, a red apple scent emerges out. Such a fresh, sweet and juicy scent that conjures the joy of life and nature. There is also some pear and green grass complimenting the charming apple. This phase is no doubt fruity, but absolutely not those syrupy candied ones, but a sincere and natural fruity scent.

However, once dried down, Un Jardin sur le Toit loses its vivacity and becomes a green and bitter skin scent which reminds me of the first two Jardins, as if the party comes to the end right after it had just started. It's not bad but it could have been more interesting.

The sillage is close and the longevity is around 4 to 5 hours. Although the apple in Un Jardin sur le Toit enchanted me, this remains my least favourite among the whole Jardin series.
Garden stalking thanks to Google Maps
Needed something for the soul today and found me in Heidelberg. There was a huge drugstore nearby. There I bought Un Jardin sur Le Toit against the advice of a young saleswoman who wanted to talk me into "Twilly". Because of the seller I had no more space on my arms and could only test the scent on paper. It's all good, though.

Un Jardin sur Le Toit has often been described here. At first it smells very strongly of apples and pears, then floral notes come to the fore. Besides, long grass is involved. With my eyes closed, I am now standing on the roof terrace of the Hermès building in 24 Faubourg Saint Honoré, after trying out the scent at home. Breathe a sigh of relief and sit under fruit trees in a garden chair.

I've been near the house several times. Can't remember ever standing in front of it, maybe I passed by. Garden stalking is very easy thanks to Google Maps especially in France. In France, the Google car was allowed to drive around everywhere. You can put the Google male in distant Germany on the street in front of the building and look up. But you can't see the garden from below. In the satellite view you can zoom in very close and yes, on the roof there are really trees. How they did it is a mystery to me. The garden occupies about 2/3 of the roof area. Probably you can still hear the city up there and it certainly has a nice view, especially at night. This perfume keeps what it promises and I always think it's good.

I think the bottle is pretty, but I really like the box. On it you can see a drawing of the house. Everything is black and white, only the garden is colorful. The black and white drawing is drawn around the whole carton. On the back of the box you can see exactly where the garden is. A kind of guide to garden stalking.

The projection is not very strong and the durability goes like this. I would wear this fragrance in the evening, when going out, daily, in my free time and at work, but not for sport, because it is known to be murder.

I can imagine it in women and men of all ages, but more in women. Tester M didn't want it on himself, but found it on me even better than "Le Jardin de Monsieur Li", which was our previous garden favourite. I also think Un Jardin sur Le Toit is even better and I can't see any particular similarity between the two perfumes. Also not to "Un Jardin sur le Nil", which especially Tester M doesn't like because it smells too one-dimensional of mango (he says). Well, it's a good thing it's an Ellena, maybe you can tell. As with paintings, when you recognize the technique, even if the paintings have different motifs.

Verdent fruity
If this is a perfume devoted to the garden Éllena established on roof top of Hermès boutique in Faubourg, I guess there must be apricot and peach as well as apple and lots of lawn on there.

The fragrance opens with sharp hinge of freshly cropped apricot, sweet and delicious and juicy. There is a play of soft lactonic accords within green lawn and mouthwatering apple. Floral side (I get rose but don't get magnolia, I get lotus) brings soft romantic aura to joyous fruity green performance. The lawn accord intensifies and the notes spin around it. Casual, summery, love making, happy fragrance for when there's not war in the world!
6/10

Musky freshness
Jardin sur le Toit opens with a really pleasant, albeit quite “generic” accord of greenish-fruity notes well supported by rose, and bright musk on the base (I don’t get much else, sorry). The “ambiance” is delicate and graceful, but not light, actually quite bold and greyish on the contrary – mostly due to rose and musky notes, which provide some “thickness” to the blend. Not as fresh as other Jardin’s fragrances, but since the concept here is (I guess?) a sort of “urban garden on the roof”, then I get the feel of something heavier, dense, more “grey” and somehow cloudy which makes Jardin sur le Toit a bit darker than the rest of the line. Overall though I wouldn’t say this is something remarkable: it smells a bit plastic as regards of quality, and quite uninspired overall. It soon becomes an endless, plain rose-musky galore which honestly gets boring soon. It’s light, but smells a bit suffocating nonetheless. I won’t say it’s totally bad, it’s classy, light and clean, but just without anything making it stand out from the “classy, light, clean scents” crowd. And that – standing out of the crowd - is something Ellena would be easily able to accomplish, hence my disappointment with this... it feels like the skills are there, but the “brief” wasn’t probably the most stimulating around.

6/10

Rickbr
I currently see Un Jardin Sur Le Toit as a continuation of the rose theme which Ellena started to develop in Rose Ikebana and continued at Kelly Calleche and its variations. Here, he seems to put more emphasis on grassy and fruity notes, giving a very savory opening which is balanced by the green nuances. After some moments, the rose start to show up on skin, more green than floral and with something that makes me think of tea. There seems to be a discreet leathery nuance at the drydown and a generous use of iso e super, which gives it a luminous and velvety finish. For some reasons, i remember this fragrance as very light for the first times i wore it, but today i seems to notice all day and i find it a very pleasant variation on the ideas worked on the previously mentioned fragrances

MasterLi
Like sitting in a lush, verdant spring garden...
Hermès Un Jardin sur le Toit is, like many of Jean-Claude Ellena's compositions, very natural, authentic, and transparent smelling. If this is how the garden on the roof of the Hermès Paris boutique at 24, Rue Fauborg smells like, it's a garden I want to be in all the time!

The fragrance opens up with a wonderful burst of fruits (mostly ripe pear and apple), followed by beautiful notes of rose and magnolia, which gives it a sweetness and a wonderful floral quality, lifting up the entire composition and making it light and airy. It smells fresh, like a garden in spring or early summer. It's also very "green" smelling, and this comes from the grass and herbs in the background. I think what I love most is the very authentic rose note, which Jean-Claude Ellena does so well in many of his fragrances.

I would class this as a solid unisex, and although it could be worn by a man or a woman, I think this will be more comfortable on a lady, as the floral-fruity notes are usually associated with most female-marketed fragrances. Having said that, this is the work of a master perfumer, it smells nothing like cheap shampoo and body spray. It does smell authentic and natural. I would recommend it for the summer and spring months. It is a fragrance that gives me joy to smell and experience, like sitting in your very own garden in France. A truly wonderful experience!

WildGardenerWildGardener 46 days ago
Même jardin sous le foin.
ItchynoseItchynose 20 months ago
Clean, green and fresh opening; a bit of sweetness from fruit but also slightly feminine with prominent floral notes.
LillibetLillibet 3 years ago
Green apple, tangy pear and juicy rosy florals are levened by a slightly savoury herbal touch and the suggestion of damp earth.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Lush green scent with a bit of urban powderiness / dustiness. Interestingly implemented concept!

Anzuchtset für Hermes-Gärten
by Siebter
by Vladmsc
by Vladmsc

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Hiris by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès