L'Ombre des Merveilles 2020

L'Ombre des Merveilles by Hermès
Bottle Design Serge Mansau
L'Ombre des Merveilles is a new perfume by Hermès for women and men and was released in 2020. The scent is woody-spicy. Pronunciation

Christine Nagel

Tonka bean, Frankincense, Black tea

Submitted by OPomone, last update on 31.10.2020.

"My" fragrance of wonder
I owned two bottles of the original Eau des Merveilles because I was so fascinated by the fragrance: orange and sand, sea aroma and cedar wood, fresh yet deep... But there was always something about the original that bothered me. The scent seemed a bit too serious and melancholic to me. I never wanted to wear it in sunny weather, but always only in grey clouds and rain. Even sociable rounds did not get along well with the fragrance. Instead of smelling of beach party and sunshine, I had lonely hours of brooding at the dark, cloudy sea.

The Elixir des Merveilles was my hope to fill the original with sweetness and life. Several times I was tempted to buy a bottle. The top notes were wonderful, a beautiful sweet orange. But the rest remained sweet and pleasing, I suddenly missed the depth of the Eau des Merveilles.

Even L'Ambre des Merveilles did not give me what I wished for. Contrary to the absolutely ingenious fragrance idea of salty orange caramel, there was always something artificial in the fragrance on my skin. Also this version was far from the original scent.

I haven't tested the Eau des Merveilles Bleue, but recently I stumbled upon the new L'Ombre des Merveilles. And there it was - "my" Merveilles fragrance The top notes are sweeter than in the original, making them more like the elixir. The dry aroma of the original Merveilles shines through quickly and accompanies the fragrance until the end. I can't make out incense, but I can make out a light teeny note with a piece of rock candy. At the same time I recognize the smell of warm sand and stones, the sea air has also been preserved. Compared to the Eau des Merveilles, however, L'Ombre doesn't make me pensive, but seems to be a more accessible reinterpretation overall. The corners and edges of the original have been rounded off and modernized, the character brightened up
I am glad that with this version I can now enjoy the originality of the Eau des Merveilles without being intimidated by its eccentricity. Christine Nagel has created a wonderfully round fragrance!
Comfortable shade
I had read while skimming the title " Hombre ", and put the specimen aside for my friend.

But today I wanted to know what I was giving him.

Oh - I can also wear this iridescent scent myself !
And that's when I discovered it was l ombre, the shadow.

I remember the Largo from Xerxes by Händel - Ombra mai fu - which also speaks of shade-giving plants.

And also the shadow of L Ombre is soothing - but light and not dark.
Some sunrays still find their way through.
It is penumbra, which also provides warmth and paints imaginative patterns on the floor.

The incense remains floating and gains transparency through the slightly tart tea note.
Tonka adds the fragrance in a round shape so that it remains soft.

A unisex scent comme il faut.

Hermes writes about this :

The deep radiance of a woody and oriental fragrance, sensual and enveloping.

I can only confirm this statement.

Successful, portable, hypermodern
I've been working on this scent for days. Not immediately convinced, I always reach for my specimen. And slowly come to a conclusion. This scent is highly interesting and very well wearable! Why?

It begins soft, smoky, almost a bit woody, with a completely independent non-floral scent of its own, which I find difficult to put into words, but which somehow has something "skin-like" about it. It's nice that the Eau des Merveilles hasn't really hit you here yet. One has the feeling of holding a new perfume by Hermes in one's hands. Sometime after about half an hour the scent becomes more powdery, maybe a little warmer, I easily discover metallic, mineral. The memory of the smell of warm stones has been mentioned in one or the other review. I completely agree with that, even find the scent ingenious in this respect. I have never smelled stones in this clear, precise form in perfumes before. Wonderful! The stone motif is then played through for a few hours, stones in the sun, stone landscapes at night under the starry sky, stones by the sea, in the spray. New facets are added again and again. Nothing is linear here... It's almost a pity that the Eau des Merveilles is clearly visible at the end. This is for me the most boring because known part of this fragrance experience. And from my point of view it could have been well done without. The fragrance could have done it also stand-alone.

All in all beautiful, independent, very light and subtle, much, much lighter than the Eau. Very close to the body and really completely unsweet and yet very feminine. I do have a small downer, but there's a little bit of synthetic, artificial seaweed or something like that slumbering somewhere, just like with all the other creations of Christine Nagel. She is a trained chemist and obviously loves to create new, unknown and somewhat strange notes that challenge us. But here I can somehow smell good over it. I am even inclined to say that it fits perfectly here. This is probably the smell of the hypermodern 21st century, with its technical possibilities but also its slowly growing realization that we humans are nothing else but part of nature...Thank you, Hermes!

Parfümlein
Interstellar glitter: a shooting star fragrance
The new bottle of Hermes' "L'ombre des merveilles" is out of this world, glittering blue, iridescent turquoise, brightening upwards, floating in a deep dark petrol, an ocean, above the northern lights and shooting stars are falling - star-catchers alone can catch this interstellar glitter, and like a star taler a young woman in a flowing, deep blue dress catches these silver stars and collects them in her bottle - or is it the other way round? Does it release these sparkling sparks from the bottle and send them on a long journey into space?
Whatever the message of the Hermes campaign for the new fragrance is meant, one thing becomes clear to the viewer: it is only the shadows of unimaginable wonders that we can perceive. Left alone with this Platonic message, I tend to assume that it is the silvery glitter of the universe, voices and sounds that unite in the wondrous bottle to form an infinitely fine texture - because "L'ombre des merveilles" means, it seems to me, the fragrance in this sphere that symbolises the whole. A shadow of the wonders she captures - a shadow of the wonders she sends out; in any case, the perfume speaks of interstellar communication, a sparkling whisper, a silver sigh...
Does the smell do justice to this beautiful performance? He is beautiful, no doubt. In the first minute, a citric bergamot glistens, which immediately disappears like a shooting star and gives way to a soft, woody, earthy tone; I would expect a hint of patchouli and some sandalwood. In this phase the fragrance immediately loses its sparkling peak and becomes soft and gentle and completely unsweet, but very quickly a spicy sweetness is felt and this must be the tonka bean. However, it remains very restrained, so that the fragrance remains spicy-woody rather than oriental. Even the earthy is lost, everything seems like a delicate breeze, a flashing streak on the horizon, a fleeting breath, a barely audible sigh, a soft whisper, a glitter of shooting stars. Not perceptible to me is the incense; all in all, the fragrance is very, very gentle, not very sweet, rather woody, but with a varied depth - and very gentle, almost light, fragrant. It's a shooting star scent. Catch him before you lose sight of his sparkle

by Timmama
by Timmama
Windstille
by Milathecat
by Bowser
by Bowser

Popular Hermès

Hermessence Ambre Narguilé by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Terre d'Hermès (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Bel Ami (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès L'Ambre des Merveilles by Hermès Bel Ami Vétiver by Hermès Concentré d'Orange Verte by Hermès Rocabar (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Voyage d'Hermès (Parfum) by Hermès Hermessence Cuir d'Ange by Hermès Hermessence Vétiver Tonka by Hermès Equipage (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Un Jardin sur le Nil by Hermès Hermessence Rose Ikebana by Hermès Eau d'Orange Verte by Hermès Eau de Rhubarbe Écarlate by Hermès Calèche (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Amazone (Eau de Toilette) by Hermès Elixir des Merveilles by Hermès Hiris by Hermès