Hyde by Hiram Green
Hyde is a popular perfume by Hiram Green for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is smoky-resinous. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Hiram Green

Top Notes Top NotesLemonLemon BergamotBergamot
Heart Notes Heart NotesBirch tarBirch tar Sweet acaciaSweet acacia
Base Notes Base NotesLabdanumLabdanum VanillaVanilla OakmossOakmoss

Submitted by Psotka, last update on 24.05.2022.

Hyde won the Art & Olfaction Award in the artisan category in 2019.

The return of a myth
It and opens with a “glitter in the eyes” of lemon and bergamot. In other words, it's still Dr. Jekyl. But soon the startling convulsions that herald the transformation into Mr. Hyde begin. And these cheerful notes are covered by the dry, sharp and slightly “medicinal” aroma of birch tar of great quality. At this stage, I felt a beeswax vibe (I confess that at first it seemed like a Slowdive development) next to burning wood in the depths of a forest. Acacia, with its usual spice vibe (cumin and cloves?) adds even more radiance to the aroma.
The curious thing is that the “touch” of the acacia ends up dressing Mr. Hyde with a “tan” / sensual, deep, subtly “animalic” and super addictive leather accord. Here Mr. Hyde turns the corner in search of his own shadow and boards a 1954 Bentley type R sitting on its "classy", smooth and sweetened leather. The opposite of hard leather that smells like cow. All with the usual density/thickness of Hiram Green's 100% natural fragrances where you can barely feel alcohol.
The magic ingredient here is a fantastic birch tar. And the curious thing is that it “smells great”, and is sweeter and more “wearable” than we could imagine just reading the notes. Not by chance, it was one of the main components of one of the great myths in the history of perfumery. I am referring to the masterpiece “Cuir de Russie”, released in 1924 by Coco Chanel, which was intended to reflect her romance with Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, cousin of the Tsar of Russia.
The “leather” note is usually made from two options. Either from the smoky “birch tar” or from the synthetic isoquinolines that mainstream perfumery uses. And the curious thing is that the leather note from “birch tar” is used here in Hyde as it was in the original Cuir de Russie (in 1983 it was reformulated with loss of prominence and quality of the leather note). Both with a very soft leather. Those who managed to smell a vintage Cuir de Russie (one of Mick Jagger's favorites) say that it is a unique olfactory experience. The same can be concluded from Hyde. Basically a unique experience and the return of a myth.
The warm and elegant base of smoked labdanum, vanilla and malt melting in soothing oak moss - provides a sweet, seductive, elegant and comfortable support (where I seem to discover a discreet civet tone).
Hyde is definitely shareable – especially for souls in search of new adventures. Day or night it gives an “outstanding”, deep and fantastic aura to the character who uses it with a minimum duration of 24 hours and even a scent skin at 48 hours.
My grandma Anna
When I was a kid, the biggest thing for me was going to my grandma's for the holidays. The kind of grandma everyone wants. She had a bun, was small and always walked around at home in a smock and only her closed wooden clogs. After milking the cows by hand in the morning, she would come into the kitchen and make me pumpernickel with cream cheese and delicious homemade strawberry jam on top, with cocoa.

Then we played board games for hours, Halma, Mensch ärger dich nicht, Mühle, checkers........We went out into the garden, collected peas and pulp them, fed the chickens, rode the bike through the area and once in the holidays gings always in the zoo in Ströhen. When I couldn't fall asleep at night, she made me warm milk with honey. They slept summer and winter under these thick down blankets. She really was a sweetheart, my grandma, and I still think of her often. With her, only Platt was spoken, my cousins could not even understand High German until they started school.

On the way home we always stopped halfway, there was a sausage stand, my grandpa parked and we went to eat sausage. I was always sad and would have liked to stay longer with my grandma.

I think I was about 10 or 11 when they turned the old farmhouse into a modern apartment building because the new son-in-law, a pig farmer, wanted to live nicer. Only one room remained until the end, that was the living room, where we all sat in the evening. There was a stove for heating, my grandfather kept adding logs and we sat on the sofa. That's exactly how Hyde smells to me - like that room with the smoking stove. Hyde gets sweeter as it goes on and I also detect a leather note. But otherwise isses grandma's living room.

Thank you very much, Jonas, for this beautiful fragrance and the associated memories!

Emorandeira
Very long lasting smoked perfume
An interesting perfume, although it is something that I would not wear, at least, on a regular basis. On the one hand, I find an accord scent, a tough and powerful leather, in the line of perfumes such as dark lord by kilian or the lovers tale by Francesca bianchi. On the other hand, birch tar gives the perfume a very smoky tone that, due to its woody character, sometimes reminds a little of the smell of barbecue coals. In the background a slight balsamic sweetness, but in general a strong and forceful perfume, even a little medicinal. The final mix, with a certain classic character, also reminds me of perfumes like Rook by rook perfumes or Bravo by Ramón Monegal.
It feels very natural, as is usual in this brand, although as I say it is not for me. Of course, as a quality and as an olfactory experience it is worth it. It's a monster in terms of duration.

Scent: 7.5
Longevity: 10
Sillage: 7
Quality / price: 5
Versatility: 5
Originality: 9
Global: 8

Landshark321
Spicy leather with resinous tones, excellently executed
Hiram Green Hyde is my second try from this house (after Slowdive) and a celebrated leather scent, which, upon first spray, absolutely delivers this vision. Much like Slowdive is a dark and spicy (albeit also sweet) honey scent, Hyde is a spicy leather scent with resinous accents and just a touch of sweetness to prevent it from being too sharp. It maintains a bit of a burnt character with birch tar, specifically, and the smoky side of labdanum, I suspect, with just a slight tartness and levity provided via lemon and bergamot. Vanilla being listed as a note is not wholly surprising but Hyde is by no means a sweet fragrance. Instead, it sits spicy without being animalic, peppery, or sharp, always an impressive feat, being spicy but not too spicy.

Overall, this is very impressive, with the leather, birch tar, and labdanum telling most of the story, with interesting quirks provided by the other notes, but on the whole, a masterful, rich execution. I just might have to pick up this and Slowdive this year, but I probably will owe both a revisit at some point first.

In the US, Hiram Green is priced at $165 for 50ml in EDP concentration, very reasonable in light of its quality and performance (I said the same of Slowdive), and it is sold via several great boutiques: Indigo Perfumery, Tigerlily Perfumery, Luckyscent, and Ave Parfum.

8 out of 10
FloraSvecica
Between the sausage water and the neighbour bar it's burning again
A few days ago the specimen arrived, kindly it was a whole 5 ml, which should now last for an eternity after a single test.
The shelf life and silage is 20.
I then applied the scent discreetly! before dinner. It didn't take a minute until my husband said: "It smells so strangely here, somehow like an old cupboard or library. I found that quite interesting before, kept a low profile. The middle one suddenly said: where are the sausages, it smells of sausage water. The smallest one thought that it smelled of charred wood, as if the neighbour was burning his branches and leaves and then extinguishing them afterwards. Her little daughter turned up her nose. I asked her if she could put it into words. Nope, I'm hitting puberty!
After I revealed the secret, my husband said: he reminds me of an English gentlemen's club, old books, leather ear-back chairs, with a glass of whisky and a red-hot ciggare on a mahogany table. That with extinguishing chimney fire and bad chimney exhaust.
I found that to be very differentiated.
One can ask oneself: how can something like that smell good, why would one want to wear it?!
For me the fragrance starts fresh, slightly citric and there is a subtle, warm and dark sweetness right from the start, which is then immediately enveloped by a dark spicy smoke. I don't take leather so much, but I guess I have to try harder. The smoke remains and in the end is the only one present. Softened by soft vanilla.
This scent is addictive, maybe because the scent lulls you. Bees are also calmed down by smoke so that they do not attack the beekeeper.
Conclusion: the sample is already used up and the fragrance must be ordered!

So Well Overdone
This masterful sillage monster is my kind of perfume, a conglomeration of richnesses—the Birch Tar and Lemon that give Shalimar Extrait its unique edge, the Oakmoss and Labdanum of our once grand, but now EU-enfeebled Chypres, the densely fruity, smoky allure of plum pudding. Use more than one spray and you will reek, but gloriously. I was gifted it blind and was not disappointed. Neither was hubby, source of the gift. Yes, it’s overdone, like midnight is on a snowy night, marshmallows roasting over a bonfire, but my senses yearn for such nights. Three sprays for me to permit marinating.
The good room
Christmas was always celebrated with grandma and grandpa.
They had a good parlour with a noble couch set from the 50s with soft sand-coloured velvet.
At the side stood a finely curved Recamiere made of fine dark leather. And behind it hung a huge painting with an angel gently kissing a woman in the clouds.
There was also a stone fireplace in the good parlour. Every year he conjured up a cosy warmth and comfort.
The good room was framed by three huge windows.
So I always had a look into the garden, looking for the bearded man in the red robe. But I could never see him before.
In the afternoon my grandpa brought in the fir tree and placed it centrally in the room.
My grandmother dragged the Christmas tree decorations out of the cellar, into countless ancient boxes.
We always decorated it together, with real candles and tinsel, small colourful birds and glittering balls.

It was always later and my excitement and joy rose.
Grandpa brought in the firewood and loaded it.
Now it was almost time.
In the fireplace the wood crackled quietly and the first load of smoke ... was in the air.
From the kitchen came soft warm smells, the ready-baked vanilla croissant.
They mixed with the smoke and the charred wood.
Warm smoky resinous sweet now lay in the air.

My eyes kept going out, into the garden.
Waiting, with great joy.
The snow lay there glittering like a protective blanket and the cold cracked.
My grandpa smiled at me and stroked my face. His hands smelled of fire, resin and smoke.
And then...
yes then suddenly there was a loud knock at the door.
Hyde.

No leather, no problem
I was lucky enough to be able to smell this at Indigo Perfumery a week before the release date. Ann, the owner, received a sample of it and sprayed it on a card an hour before I arrived. Among the many cards we sprayed and put on her counter one stuck out beautifully; it was Hyde. She let me spray some on me and I can't wait till I am able to purchase a full bottle. My YouTube review is below.

NgarciaNgarcia 1 month ago
Leather+whisky like a cowboy jacket, with a little bit of sweetness and a dose of smoke, I don't know when to wear it, but it has something.
EmorandeiraEmorandeira 1 year ago
Very Smoky perfume with a basement of leather and birch tar. Sometimes smells a bit like BBQ coals, even like burnt meat. Long lasting beast
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 1 year ago
A slightly challenging (and rubbery) smoky-leathery Winter fragrance, slowly softened by a warm and sweet oriental-resinous base. Masculine.
JoloJolo 2 years ago
A strong, well rounded smoky birch tar, it reminds me of artisanal oily leather balm. For winter nights or a trek along a frozen landscape.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Old cracked tires burning on a winter campfire as the air fills with a thick black pungent smoke. Intense and long-lasting.

Ich danke euch sehr für eure lieben Worte :)
Hide in your shell....Hyde ist eine Feuerperle.Eine lebende Fackel∞
by Seejungfrau
Alain Delon am Swimmingpool.....
by Weihrauch
Bubbleblasen ploppen. Zimtakazienrot. Rauchender Asphalt. Räucherstäbchenglut . gewachstes Ebenholz.  Es ist soweit.Geölt.Behütet. Dunkelsüße Birkenzeit = @home
Bubbleblasenvibes.Glühen.Dampfen.
by Pedr0o
by Santalum
by Santalum

Popular by Hiram Green

Shangri La by Hiram Green Moon Bloom by Hiram Green Slowdive by Hiram Green Voyage 2019 by Hiram Green Arbolé / Arbolé Arbolé by Hiram Green Vetiver by Hiram Green Dilettante by Hiram Green Voyage by Hiram Green Vivacious by Hiram Green Arcadia by Hiram Green Lustre by Hiram Green