1725 by Histoires de Parfums

1725 is a popular perfume by Histoires de Parfums for men. The release year is unknown. The scent is powdery-sweet. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Citric notes, Grapefruit, Licorice
Heart Notes Heart NotesLavender, Star anise
Base Notes Base NotesVanilla, Almond, Sandalwood, Cedar, Amber

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 16.10.2019

7.0 7.0 8.0 6.5/10

Casanova at Dux Castle
With this play actor Johannes Heesters went on tour again and again from 1986; he was able to play the old woman seducer in a sitting position, which was very convenient for his own age.
His "reputation as a charmer" was followed at that time by many ladies who were still caught in his magic.
Those were for both sides surely star moments.

Whether Johannes Heesters wore "1725 - Casanova" by Histoires de Parfums at these performances, I don't know of course.
It would have been possible: this scent reminds me a little of stage make-up and wig powder; nestled in probably all artists' dressing rooms, whether in the smallest provincial stage or in the "big house" of the State Theatre.

Lavender, almond and vanilla unite on my skin immediately after the first contact to a quite compact powdery scent layer, reminiscent of a yellowish grey gauze curtain.
On the other hand, the citrus notes of the opening, with the exception of the liquorice touch, have almost no chance at all.
They are there for a moment; as if someone had opened the window briefly to let fresh air into this theatre wardrobe in which I seem to be.
Liquorice is courageous, bows briefly; but star anise points it to its place. But also its somewhat angular scent is quickly overrun with the big powder puff: it dusts a lot.
I'm now hoping for some glamour through my well-known "fragrance sizes" called sandalwood, cedar and amber.
Cedar harmonizes brilliantly with the existing powder coating; but on my skin a scent develops, which makes me look for an "emergency exit".
Also amber and sandalwood can't save this piece of cultural history for me anymore.
I feel like a huge powder can has been dumped over me.

And I'm disappointed! Disappointed by me, by my skin - because that will be the reason!
I wanted to walk in Casanova's footsteps, let myself be seduced by him in scented form, even dare to venture into slightly wicked areas with him - to experience the greatest adventures!
What a shame! Instead, I'm on the run! Not with him - actually in front of him!

Once again it shows that most of these powder scents, which please so many hearts, refuse me.
I haven't had much luck with them so far; that's what this great "seducer" proves.

However, I am sure, especially after the quite positive resonance here, that I am more or less a single case and that this sample will leave my "walking samples" behind quickly.
And yet there is this comment, which please would like to be seen as my personal fragrance experience.
Who would have thought that I would just fail so much at "1725 - Casanova"?
8.0/10

PMRP12
An elegant, powdery sweet fougere.
The almond and lavender are so smooth together, and there’s a hint of licorice/anise that adds something spicy and ever so slightly bitter. I actually prefer this to the oft-compared *Invasion Barbare*. Bottle worthy for barbershop fougere fans.
8.0 8.0 9.0 10.0/10

Soft Seducer
Scentrack:
Art of Noise - Love Beat

Casanova, a symbol of seduction, passion and adventure. It was not easy to justify this big name, but 1725 did it in big style. Like Casanova this fragrance is wolf in sheep's clothing. Soft, creamy and visually pale, and unbelievably alluring. Maybe it's too easy to say for fragrance is beautiful, but it perfectly describes 1725. Gentle, transparent, yet so precise. Perfectly balanced and tweaked. Starts with fluffy citruses, lavender and anise, and goes to dark amber, most realistic almonds and creamy vanilla and sandalwood.
Perfectly unisex, Casanova knows women must like him from the first smell. He surely knew what's good for him, like he advised it's easier to get in the bed with two ladies than one.

Rating: 10/10

More on Scentimentalwords

~ Smooth Operator ~
This "Casanova" is a smooth operator in a powdery velvet coat of purple lavender. As Giacomo himself would have said, "Be the flame not the moth." And in the sophisticated sillage of this HdP masterpiece that is the image you will give. After the initial greeting of the sweet talking citrus and anise this quickly moves into a lovers flowery poetry of liquorice and lavender. The almond and amber in the base are sweet but subtle seducing the nose the longer they lingers in your company. 1725 is a scent that is so familiar almost gourmand'ish in it's vanilla but a true classic fougere. The notes fall into place as they should clearly detectable and leave the wearer and those around him desiring more. You can expect a respectable longevity and a discreet personal sillage from this elegant charmer.
Kind Regards, Plat ~
Smell Alike - Think a modern smoother Rive Gauche.
8.0/10

Steve0580
A clean, expensive smelling talcum.
It's a rich smelling citrus and powder blend that dries down to what smells like an expensive talcum powder. I don't really pick up the other little nuances that are listed.
7.5 7.5 7.0/10

Another Fine Licorice Perfume
Although it's designated as a masculine composition, Histoires de Parfums 1725 reminds me a lot of some of the offerings of the house of Lolita Lempicka, and especially the masculine-leaning feminine perfumes. The notable presence of a dark licorice note combined with various other components important to Lolita Lempicka, including vanilla, amber, woods, etc. probably explains why I am reminded immediately of that house. 1725 also, for the same reasons, reminds me of Jesus del Pozo IN BLACK, and anyone who likes any one of these three would probably like the other two as well, it seems to me. The aesthetic is really very, very similar. Which of the three do I prefer? Hard to say. I may have to do a side-by-side comparison before issuing a verdict...

In a direct comparison, I have discovered how much sweeter the openings of LOLITA LEMPICKA and IN BLACK are next to 1725, which does make them seem initially quite a bit more feminine. In the drydown, however, I find all three to be unisex. My favorite drydown of the three is that of IN BLACK, probably because of the lavender note in 1725... Although I do think that this is a higher quality perfume in terms of components. Nonetheless, I think that anyone who likes one of these compositions would like the others as well. Black licorice lovers rejoice: anise/licorice-centric perfumes now abound!

KingPin 84 days ago
Classic fougere with lavender, sweet vanilla and almond with the tiniest hint of licorice. Feels dated and old school unfortunately.

by Smora