1740 by Histoires de Parfums
1740 is a popular perfume by Histoires de Parfums for men and was released in 2008. The scent is spicy-leathery. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Davana
Heart Notes Heart NotesCardamom, Coriander, Patchouli
Base Notes Base NotesCedar, Birch, Labdanum, Leather, Vanilla, Elemi resin, Immortelle

Submitted by Profumo, last update on 23.10.2020.

immortal pirate
1740 is a sort of Goutal´s Sables perhaps with a more noble treatment, less crude. Its opening is fascinating ,with that mixture of immortal, tobacco and leather, nuanced with a sort of floral breeze, but It becomes a bit cloying at the end of the day with that liquorous sweetness that never ceases to fade away.The immortelle here, you may like it or not but is sure that It will not leave you indifferent.

Cowboy in leather vest
this is a lovely green dark smoky animalic leather.its really a quality leather scent which is polished by immortelle greennes and layerd by labdanume and patchouli and the birch gives it a smokiness that is required to creat a dark leather vest of the cowboy.
One of the best leather scents having old vibes while it fits a gentleman in a ceremony.
The game with associations
Again and again, scents, associations, puns or whatever manage to evoke in users. This alone is worth a lot, as long as the association is a positive one or, in the case of perfumes, stimulates detailed thoughts. Histoires de Parfums is probably a predestined brand and 1740 is therefore themed around the Marquis de Sade, and you don't have to say anything else
So how could such a scent be put on? Leather seems almost obvious and so it is included. And even birch, which makes me think of leather of an older make, or rather gives me room for interpretation. In fact, the leather takes the lead with bergamot and davana. Admittedly, I don't notice bergamot, but I do notice this sweet, smoky, overripe, fruity one of the davana. Combined with the leather we get an old leather furniture, which creaks and creaks and not everyone likes it. The scent is indeed old school leather; also because of its light soapiness. The patchouli contributes noticeably to this now more and more prominent wear and tear. It gives the leather furniture this aura of the old, used furniture, which has mixed its leather smell with various other scents over time. You really have to like patchouli here, it looks like damp earth, like the layer of black earth on top.

Gently the Davana plant says goodbye and hands over the stick to the resin. In my opinion, this rather underlines the patch-leather combination than decisively shapes the fragrance. How do you describe this scent at this point in time? Is it still the old leather furniture or are we already at the leather straps in the cellar, which are marked by secretions and dirty, smelling wickedly and stimulating the imagination? I'll leave that up to you, but the fact is that the fragrance is gradually changing into more musty earthy tones and intensively used leather tones. It was already 1740, but now it's changing from being used passively to being mixed actively with other materials. Some may find this musty. This phase is eventually smoothed out because the patchouli does not consistently add its earthy-bitter element.
Surprisingly for me, the fragrance then ends leathery with a slight hint of cocoa, but becomes a bit more "bitter" and then goes towards the real end towards coffee with milk, but not from the fine De Longhi, but rather powdered coffee. This is surprising because vanilla and cedar have hardly been seen so far and only come into their own in the last quarter with a tart undertone when the great spectacle has faded away. A great closing of the fragrance, here it really convinces me.
If I had to compare a fragrance with this one, I would use one that probably even fewer people know, namely Doraphilia by Miguel Matos. Only has five reviews here. Whereby this one is even more extreme compared to 1740 and does not have the creamy end. One could say that 1740 is the distinguished noble ancestor of the hedonistic-elitist Doraphilia. Both enjoy the leather. For their purposes. By the way, I can recommend the Doraphilia to those who like animal leather, basically not leather at all but raw, not yet tanned animal skin. Sounds more violent than it is. Unpaid advertising end.
--------
an olfactory reconstruction of a wooden baroque roof chair under shimmering summer heat, paired with the smells of raisins iron on heated skin under a damp batist, withering rose leaves floating in a glass of chateau petrus - the name is program and a journey through time

PMRP12
A tour de force of leather, immortelle, and patchouli = rich, stewed fruit vibe.
Deep, dark, and hedonistic—this is a sexy and dominant scent. In the same vein as Plum Japonais, one of the darker Tom Fords, but a touch more interesting. Bottle worthy for fans of brooding scents.
Dark side of the moon
Do you think you can tell,
Heaven from hell,
Blue skys from pain...

My color is black.
All my clothes. My eyes. My hair is blonde.

He's coming at me.

Burnt wood, ashes, herbs thrown into the fire, sparks glowing in the sky of the deep black night. Resin drips into the embers. After eternal times finally Patchouly.
Grounding Force Strength Obsession.
Mortal Skin.
Mortal skin. Animals with glowing eyes appear out of the darkness.
Submission shackle chain
"As of today, you are under my personal protection"

That was the beginning.

When you take my hand, silky soft vanilla drips as precious oil on my skin.

Abyss darkness lunar eclipse

A day without you

Wish you were here
Thanks to Saemm for the bottling.
The antidote!
I think it's quite bold to create such an "antidote" and bring it onto the market! Perfumers usually try to make their creations as pleasant as possible. After all, the customer should feel well or spoiled. A fragrance always has some job to do, such as raising the mood, underlining the personality, seducing, floating on cloud 7, making on thick pants, falling into holiday mood, strengthening self-confidence, tempting to meditate and so on. What job has 1740 MdS?
now?
A fragrance named after the (psychological) ancestor of sadism was first intended to represent sexual dominance. Of course not in the conventional, "healthy" way. Rather in a humiliating, contemptuous, frightening, cruel way, without wanting to please his "victim" in the slightest. If you feel disgusted by 1740 MdS, he still lives up to his name. That answers the job question. But does 1740 - Marquis de Sade smell sadistic?

When I sprayed MdS for the first time I was a little surprised. The fragrance has a range.
Have I sprayed myself with a "person" or an entire city? Somehow I felt like I was in a big city. Crowds of people, some with noble perfumes, some unwashed, stray dogs, trees, shrubs, asphalt, bankers, smoking rockers with old leather jackets, a red light environment.... All social classes represented, from the millionaire to the beggar, who by the way seems to have a sandwich in his pocket. But then, after about an hour, I landed in a secluded side street. And now I could finally associate the scent with a single person. Now he finally stood in front of me, in my "Smell - Head Cinema Imagination", the Marquis de Sade.

From a distance he seems threatening somehow. Sadistic? I might. No horror guy P18, honor P12. He doesn't seem artificial or ridiculous at all. MdS is not a joke!
I take after about two hours almost only leather and patchouli was left. The big city seems to be blown away by the wind. MdS now seems almost familiar. But wait, what do I see there? A sandwich that's been bunched up peeps out of his trouser pocket. Did Marquis de Sade steal from the beggar? I almost invited him for a beer. But that's not how it's gonna work out between you and me
Have Gerald Ghislain and Sylvie Jourdet done their homework now? I think so. The dirty, spoiled, repulsive, which demands a fragrance with this name, seems to be marketing itself. But MdS will better not go into my collection. Or do I give the "antidote" another chance?

Good Pentecost to you all wishes Metalfan!

Lusty
Scentrack: Sneaker Pimps - Velvet Divorce

Do not mess with 1740. This is a destroyer that annihilates all volatile molecules in 10 feet diameter. A perfume equivalent nuclear blast. Against Marqius abandon all hopes. The kick of raw leather whip right in the head, supported by burning birch, pulsating immortelle and cognac. Allegedly base notes are in the game from minute one. Rough, raw and harsh after 6-8 hours changes to finest powder. Beneath the rough appearance there is silky emotional heart. Although shocking from the start I love this composition.
Is this Marqius De Sade? I believe not. De Sade would use even shocking olfactory maps. This is sleek weekend pervert.

Rating: 8/10

Thatsmr2usir
A pale attic type of fragrance.
1740 was an experience I will always remember. However, it was not very pleasurable. I got a good deal on a travel size bottle so I decided to opt for it.

This fragrance starts off with a blast of patchouli, a note that I am not fond of honestly unless it is blended very well. In this case it is not. It is like an assault of the most dirtiest of smells. I don't pick up much of any of the notes listed besides the obviously patchouli,cedar, birch & some leather.

I do not sense any vanilla which would have helped this fragrance a great deal to cut out all that woodiness & earthiness. That is the problem I have with 1740, it's all dry with no sweetness. These are the type of frags I cannot stand nor wear. It is made of good materials, Long lasting at least 8 hours on me, projection is ok, not great but noticeable.

The Marquis de Sade is like drinking Chianti, full of life yet no charm. Thanks, but no thanks!

My current favourite
I love Histoires de Parfums as a house and this is the jewel for me. This gorgeous, hedonistic leather and immortelle combination and all the complexity surrounding it is mischievious and mysterious. Pleas e see my video review

BielwenassBielwenass 15 days ago
Some note stands out to me that makes it near unwearable. I blame immortelle.
HermeshHermesh 5 years ago
Mildly bitter and spicy immortelle, dark, balmy and warm. With slight hint of sherry cask in the base.

by ChopIsland
by Marta
by Whadelse89
by Whadelse89

Popular Histoires de Parfums

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Absolu Eau de Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1899 by Histoires de Parfums 1889 - Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums Tubéreuse 3 Animale by Histoires de Parfums 1725 by Histoires de Parfums 1828 by Histoires de Parfums 1826 by Histoires de Parfums 1804 by Histoires de Parfums En Aparté - Prolixe by Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums 1969 by Histoires de Parfums This is not a Blue Bottle 1.2 / Ceci n'est pas un Flacon Bleu 1.2 by Histoires de Parfums Tubéreuse 1 Capricieuse by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Pétroleum by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Veni by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Fidelis by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Rosam by Histoires de Parfums