1889 - Moulin Rouge (2010)

1889 - Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums
Compare Prices
1889 - Moulin Rouge is a popular perfume by Histoires de Parfums for women and was released in 2010. The scent is powdery-leathery. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesMandarin, Plum, Cinnamon
Heart Notes Heart NotesAbsinth, Damascus rose
Base Notes Base NotesIris, Patchouli, Musk, Fur

Submitted by Toby, last update on 22.06.2017

jtd
not the performance i expected
Histoires de Parfums’s conceit of historical and literary themes is schtick. But what’s wrong with a bit of schtick? Trying to convey more than ‘lifestyle’ is a pleasant change in perfume PR. The need to mention both the year and the event the to tells you that the themes are not intended to be obvious. I’m instinctively leery of marketing, but HdP do take a stand against the the flanker mentality. After all how would they manage it? “1889, Fevrier” followed by “1889, Novembre”? I applaud the effort. It’s not merely a name trick, either. The HdP line is varied yet identifiable, and so far doesn’t seem to fill genre-slots with perfume placeholders. And it certainly keeps us away from (identifiable name), (identifiable name) liqueur de parfums, (identifiable name) les cuirs de parfums, (identifiable name) sunessence eau legere du bois blond avec les fruit du cosmos, etc.

1889 refers to the Moulin Rouge and would assumedly be boisterous, huge and have little self-restraint. I thought it would be the glam-rocker of the bunch. (That would be 1804.) At the risk of mixing eras, I’d imagined, a sort of ‘what happens in the Moulin Rouge stays in the Moulin Rouge.’ On the contrary, 1889 turns out to be a rather quiet and contemplative perfume.

It starts out smelling like the inside of a purse that has a ripe pear in it.  As others have mentioned it is a lipsticky, face-powdery iris fragrance but it also has a sweet, fruity side. I’ve seen prune, plum, tangerine listed as notes, but it smells like pear to me. It simmers down pretty quickly and in the end it's fairly reserved and stays close to the skin reminding me a bit of the iris-hyacinth accord found in Lutens’s Bas de Soie. Cool, matte, muted. Moulin Rouge? More like a red herring.
Scent 9.0/10
La Grande Vie
I've been threatening to write this review for the longest time so here goes!! I LOVE 1889 - MOULIN ROUGE!! Here's why:

I have been on the stage for the last 25 years ... give or take ... I'd prefer 'take' :). I don't hide the fact that I am a performing drag artist ... who cares?? It's 2012!! I have performed on big stages and I have performed on tiny stages, on TV and in movies ... this fragrance immediately transports me to the most hallowed of places for people like me ... the dressing room! As an artist, this is the place where all of the vital stuff happens ... the prep. What is seen onstage is simply the culmination of what happens back there ... its a little world all of it's own.
1889 - Moulin Rouge is about as 'over the top' as any fragrance can get. The opening is dusty, as the dressing rooms of the most revered theaters tend to be, a touch fruity (orange peels in a wastepaper basket) and a pinch spicy (the cinnamon here is short lived on my skin). The fragrance unfolds typically ... a well worn leather makeup case is opened next to a bouquet of opening night roses, the heat from the lights around the makeup mirror intensifying the fragrance of slightly warm lipsticks (iris) emanating from within. The musky intensity of greasepaint and slightly soiled makeup brushes overwhelms slightly, while at the end there is the scent of damp costumes piled into a laundry basket, faint traces of sweat mingling with the sweetness of the cheap body spray it was somewhat disguised in.
I would hesitate in recommending this frag to just anyone. The wearing of it demands an intimate knowledge of this clandestine world. Make no mistake, this is a Diva ... slightly frayed around the edges, morally questionable ... but in the realm of that which she calls home ... MAGNIFI-SCENT.

Gents, don't even go here unless you enjoy getting up in a party frock :) ... this one takes absolutely no prisoners!!
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Sometimes More is Too Much
One can hardly expect subtlety from a perfume with a name like 1889 MOULIN ROUGE, even produced by the illustrious house of Histoires de parfums, and in fact it's pretty much in your face (nose) with obnoxious sillage and longevity that can be curtailed only with a hot bath. This creation has a loud cinnamony-fruity—obviously intended to be red—personality perhaps befitting of one of the ladies who graces places such as the Moulin Rouge.

For me, it's all a bit too brash, not at all seductive, and although I am confident that this composition contains only niche-quality components, they add up to all too much, proving yet again that sometimes less is more. The dominant scent in the opening could be approximated by eating a large quantity of Fire Stix Jolly Ranchers candy while swilling down copious volumes of cheap, sweet, jug red wine. In a word: yuck. The drydown comes closer to a mix between Chopard MADNESS and one of the Givenchy floral fruity frags.

There's got to be a drugstore Dana facsimile of 1889 MOULIN ROUGE out there somewhere for those who like this sort of thing, but Histoires de Parfums has managed to convince me that even the best of ingredients cannot make such a perfume compelling to me. Désolée.