1899 by Histoires de Parfums
Bottle Design Olivia Grandperrin
1899 is a popular perfume by Histoires de Parfums for men and was released in 2013. The scent is spicy-sweet. It is still available to purchase.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Gérald Ghislain (Creative Director)

Top Notes Top NotesItalian bergamotItalian bergamot
CinnamonCinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesVanillaVanilla
VetiverVetiver
AmberAmber

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 21.10.2021.

Spice up your life!
It may seem strange that something as seemingly insignificant as a spice could have played a very important role in world history. After all, we are referring to a small amount of "something" to pleasure our mouth and nose. Well, we may as well speak of something that is burned to flavour the air. If we reflect a little, even today many of our daily decisions are made through the influence of our mouth and nose need to be pleasured.
The global demand for spices grew during the Roman era and into the Middle Ages, moulding the economies of India to the existing demand in Europe. This demand led to the creation of several truly international trade routes. It shaped the structure of the world economy in a way that is still felt today. There were times when those who controlled the spice market commanded prosperity in the world.
In 1498, the Portuguese explorer Vasco da Gama made the first sea voyage from Europe to India by bending Africa's southernmost cape. The goal was to find a direct route to lands where spices were abundant and cheap. In today's language, this is called "cutting out the middlemen." When he reached the Malabar Coast in India, it marked the beginning of direct trade between Europe and Southeast Asia. This milestone crowned the establishment of the brief Portuguese empire, which stretched from the shores of Brazil, through Central and South Africa, to the shores of India and the Far East. This influence reached as far as Japan, where we still find Portuguese derived words such as "gaijin," "tempura," and "pan" (white foreigner, a specific well known spicy recipe, and bread). This world dominance lasted 80 years and was suddenly annihilated by the rules of monarchical succession. The lack of recognition of a crownable Portuguese king under the intricate laws of monarchies, allowed Philip II of Spain to take over this empire without shedding a drop of blood just because he was a distant cousin of the last Portuguese king. Spain gained then world dominance for a century and a half.
Europeans coveted spices for several reasons. They used it in rituals, as medicine, as a social lever, and to differentiate culinarily. Spices gave a heavenly ambience to god's house, helped humans to become more beautiful and healthier, and made the food a lot tastier.
All these factors combined created a high economic demand for spices. They still influence many decisions we make on a daily basis.

The life of Ernest Hemingway is a spicy tale. During his childhood he lived in Chicago and hopped to different corners of the world such as Paris, Pamplona and Havana, aiming for bohemian life, bullfighting and good cigars. The writer, born in 1899, married four times, participated in two world wars, survived two plane crashes, had a sun orbiting celestial body named after him, and, as if that wasn't enough, won the Nobel Prize for Literature. As a reporter, he witnessed the invasion of Normandy in World War II.
The author landed in London in May 1944 to cover the conflict and didn't even have to set foot on the battlefield to suffer a car accident. With his head covered in bandages, he boarded a boat to closely follow D-Day, the landing of Allied forces on the northern coast of France on June 6. Sometime later, he accompanied a French militia infiltrating enemy territory and gave so much good advice that he became, in effect, the leader of the group.
On a personal level, Ernest Hemingway loved boxing, hunting, fishing, and bullfighting. The writer's fascination with androgyny behaviours and haircut fantasies was famous: he used to ask his feminine companions to wear their haircuts as short as possible. Spicy indeed!

Histoire de Parfums celebrated the life of Ernest Hemingway with a very spicy fragrance. On their website, we may read the following text image about its 1899 creation:
"Night throws its mask over Paris, the City of Light radiating from the splendour of freedom. In the streets, artists and writers capture the games of love and seduction in their modern languages. Champagne flows over crystal pyramids, and the very first jazz bands make the cafe walls tremble. A twirling Vanilla vanishes while playing hide-and-seek with vigorous Vetiver. There is not a second to lose in moments such as these; everything is possible. The night belongs to those who know how to live it.
Black pepper, cinnamon and vanilla, manly juniper and earthy iris, spice up this memorable perfume work. I consider it one of the best spicy perfumes I have tried. It is quite aromatic, just a bit woody, and will certainly capture the interest of those around you. It is almost as bold as Ernest Hemingway's tale of life. You will end making comparisons with Spicebomb and Bvlgari Man In Black, but some differences towards those perfumes will make enjoy a lot this perfume as well.

What else can I tell you about it?
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
- Opening: 9.0 (Admirable... bergamot, black pepper and a hint of juniper berries; nuances of neroli and iris do give it a "different" ambience).
- DryDown: 9.5 (The residual black pepper amplifies the effect of warm and sweet cinnamon and vanilla in an ambery background).
- Longevity: 8.0 (Slightly above average; 3 sprays last up to 8 hours)
- Sillage: 7.5 (Moderate with up to 4~5 feet and 2.0 hours projection with 3 sprays)
- Exclusivity: 9.0 (almost unique in some details; Nevertheless I must recognise some familiarity with the Spicebomb type of scent)
- Wearability: 8.0 (not suitable for warm weather)
- Versatility: 8.0 (you can use it almost anywhere, but I recommend it as an evening fragrance; good for a night out or casual wear. Avoid the beach and the gym).
- Praise: 9.0 (you will get quite more compliments than average).
- Quality: 10.0 (Fantastic)
- Presentation: 8.5 (Simple, effective and stylish)
- Price: 6.5 (Available for €130/120ml in various web suppliers; Smaller sizes are available)
___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___ ___
Overall rating: 8.45 / 10.00
- between 7 and 8 = above average;
- between 8 and 9 = recommendable;
- greater than 9 = definitely not to be missed;

My opinion: This is one of those masculine perfumes that I consider timeless and a true olfactory work of art. I usually consider perfumes to be gender-neutral and I don't see why women cannot use them as well. The perfume is expensive but if you are curious enough to buy it blindly, you may start with a mini bottle of 15ml for approximately 35 Euros.

Music:
Spice Girls - Spice Up Your Life (for the title)
and PinkFloyd - Have A Cigar (for Hemingway)
DarkWinterCS
The gods in the veil covered with flowers on Mykonos
1899 is one of the fragrances that have reached me quite quickly and picked up. After I had 1740 already as a small bottle with me and this has appealed to me in a very deep way, I wanted to check out the sides of the other fragrances. The selection at Histoires de Parfums is not too large, though so well balanced in the comments that there could be something for everyone here. Since 1899 Ernest Hemingway emerged as my next fragrance, I wanted to wait now also no longer.

But how did I just come to these and what has me angefixt the appropriate research to catch up?
Pretty simply said, because this fragrance should sniff like Viktor & Rolf Spicebomb or at least a modified and more luxurious form of it. Spicebomb has remained permanently in my collection since the day of release and to this day I have found no reason to change anything here. Even the Flanker never made it. Even the Extreme variant has never convinced me enough to leave the original in the corner. However, I find the scent very interesting and therefore like to test out new perfumes in this category. In addition, I should not even come to the idea Spicebomb times to sort out, because my wife loves this fragrance on me and threatens with divorce, should I ever come to mind. ?
Talked often about a fresher variant and a somewhat floral basic character. Furthermore, with some spice and a Spicebomb DNA. I like to be surprised and since an online retailer just had good discounts I struck in the madness equal times at a 60ml flacon to.

The test environment was different from the last Xerjoff tests, which I had before extensively under the nose. Rather relaxed, less expectations and generally a little less urge to discover something new. However, I quickly realized that something special landed here under my nose.
It wasn't because the overall spice, pepper, or heat blew my socks off. It was the insouciance, which the fragrance has put on the day and has put me in the moment in fascination.

YES, it was this pleasant, slightly citrusy freshness at the beginning, the lightly shimmering florality in the background and a finely tuned spiciness. Everything spread slowly and delicately, almost a little fragile and enveloping like a delicate veil. A far cry from the spice and candy bombs of current days. Much more delicate and shy, but still strong enough to give the wearer that special something. Gradually, the citrusy notes pull back a bit and stay in the background to give the delicate floral bouquet a bit more of a stage. None of the three components weighs too heavy, everything seems from a cast and harmonizes surprisingly well, because when I think of a mixture of spice and flowers, then my nose would rather make the bend.
But so Histoires de Parfums offers a wonderful fragrance full of eventful tenderness, where one imagines two half-naked gods lying in the warm dawn enveloped by flowers.
Also the Spicebomb DNA described in some comments is present, the my wife can not tell the difference at first sniff.

One must say to this framework but also that the sillage can not hold a candle to the original of my collection. 1899 can not have a monster sillage due to the selection of fragrance notes and components or considering the fragrance character. You definitely notice the scent very well for the first two hours, though not much further as the power gradually weakens. This is not bad for me personally, as I as the wearer still have the fragrance longer in the nose. This is but just not so noticeable by the flowers and the freshness.
From the durability, however, he must not hide. Early sprayed on one takes him still in the evening on the neck perceived and others can enjoy heartfelt hugs at the great 1899.
Alf2001
1899 - or is that the smell of Christmas?
I'm browsing at my favourite perfume dealer in Halle/S. again, where I am given Histoires de Parfums 1899 with the words "Just let it work, it might fit" to test.

The first smell sample, ok, not bad, I like it, please put a test spray on the skin.

First of all, wait a minute and then, as someone once said, "Yes, is it Christmas already?".
It was the first thing that came to mind The fragrance was very soft and gentle for my nose, it didn't bother me and somehow it exuded a certain "warmth".

Enough raving about the facts.

I immediately have juniper and cinnamon in my legs with a shot of bergamot, so that it does not get too sweet.
Pepper I do not take was nevertheless I this always first smell, seems to be well hidden.

After approx. 30min the full "addiction potential" develops.
The vanilla joins in with a small shot of vetiver and a slightly woody note.

That fits and also still holds for a long time. 8 hours are no problem, on things also longer and the Sillage is good but it is no "Beast"
The only minus point is the spray head, with the first sprayer there is little, with the 2nd a lot and from the third it is then constant.

The fragrance fits naturally for the winter, in summer it would be too heavy I think.

So, enough facts and back to the perfumery.....

I tried some more fragrances that day, but nobody promised me more then that.
My nose was probably on course "1899" and somehow I wanted to lick my arm to see if it tasted as it smelled The saleswoman just laughed and ordered me a coffee "so that I have something "different" in my nose" while she was still looking for a few samples of my newly acquired fragrance
To come back to the question at the beginning, yes, that's how Christmas smells, sweet, delicious, citrusy-fruity and somehow warm.

I hope the description helps you and the scent pleases you as much as I do.
Sniffler77
Danger of confusion for untrained noses...
with V&R SpiceBomb... but the more often I wear the good "Ernest", the bigger and finer the difference between the two becomes. Although I was already a fan of the "spice explosion" from Viktor & Rolf, I have to admit that the counterpart of HdP 1899 just looks more noble and natural. The orange blossom in combination with the cinnamon is simply to "kneel down"... great autumn/winter scent...

PMRP12
Spicy and sweet with pepper, cinnamon, and vanilla.
Sound familiar? It’s Spicebomb, but with a toned down pepper note; I don’t get the nose tingle from this one. Highly recommended if you like the aforementioned, but want something smoother.

1899 Ernest Hemingway
Histoires de Parfums is a house i enjoy and one of obvious quality. Ernest Hemingway (1899) is often compared to the popular Spicebomb by Viktor and Rolf...

Ignika
Advent flair for spraying on
A great fragrance. One of my oldest rehearsals, empty for years, but still in memory, as if it had only been yesterday.

For a long time the (strong!) orange blossom dominates with cinnamon. There's a bit too much of that in it, sometimes it seems quite sharp, as the cinnamon (pure) does. In the beginning you can still hear some bergamot, but after a maximum of half an hour it goes down. The lily sometimes appears between orange blossom and cinnamon. If she comes from Florence I don't know, she can't ask very well; sample is already empty :s
Only few black pepper and juniper are to be smelled. I'm grateful for the pepper, it hardly fits in here. Vanilla (actually vanilla, not tonka, or vanillin or anything else) and amber form a nice, quiet base. The Vetiver also floats around on this level when it appears after a few hours. Pleasant, dry, woody. IF it finally comes to light what takes the endurance of the main actors.

1899 is a real feel-good fragrance. Never intrusive, beautiful, but present enough that you can hear the orange-cinnamon flair again and again without sniffing at your wrist. Durability is also convincing, sometimes even above average for me, mostly above the typical 6 to 7 hours.
Because of the association of orange-cinnamon with winter, I say boldly: Hemingway is for cold weather. For man and woman, young and old.
Graank
Extraordinary fragrance with addictive potential
I like to wear this scent in my spare time. It smells berry, but not too sweet, and at the same time fine, elegant, sexy and extravagant. It's never exaggerated, it's neat and natural. The fragrance lasts for about 6-8 hours - that's okay. Extremely similar to Spicebomb - but smells a lot more natural. I think it's a scent for a special audience.

I had a tester and always had to smell my hand. That was probably a good sign - two days later I got the scent in 120ml. But I have to say that he is very sweet - therefore he is too much for me on some days and also in the

Conclusion: Extraordinary fragrance - I love it. Enjoy the test.

Familiar Feeling
From the Hemingway name I expected something tropical, some unexpected usage of mojito vibe and tobacco. All I got is one more Spicebomb. I have to admit 1899 is very nice, but already smelt.
The beginning is characterized with herbal notes and pepper, then followed flowery cinnamon. The base is ambery with nice vanilla. It's very attractive, modern, with very good performances and safe. For the name Hemingway stands for action, sweat, rum and ultimately blood.

Rating: 7.5/10

One of HdP's Best...
This an excellent oriental that is easy to wear and keeps away from the typical pitfalls of so many in its genre. At no points is it heavy, overbearing, or excessively powdery. While it exudes a classy, quiet sophistication, 1899 is ultimately an amiable composition that avoids encumbering itself with an unnecessary sense of formality or ostentation.

It opens with a deftly balanced accord of juniper, cinnamon, pepper, vanilla and iris. The juniper is sweet and airy and sort of hovers over the top of the other notes. The iris, of the plasticky, lipstick variety found in Dior Homme, plays the background and provides a solid compliment to the spiciness of the cinnamon and pepper. The first couple of hours are sweet, airy, lively, spicy, and even aromatic. There is nothing dense or plodding about 1899, nothing oppressive or dull. It is enlivened with a particular light vibrance owed to the skill of its perfumer, Gerald Ghislain. It's a great way to start things off, and the quality of this composition is evident right from the start.

The opening accord persists for some time, and as the middle stages develop, a soft vetiver emerges and the vanilla moves more toward the front of the composition. The vetiver adds depth and serves to temper some of the sweetness of the base notes (vanilla, amber). This is where the fragrance finally rests, in a comforting accord of vanilla, amber, iris and vetiver. A day-time comfort scent; lively and sweet; cozy, but not sleepy.

This has quickly become one of my favorite oriental fragrances. I find it so easy to wear at pretty much any time of the day. A lot of times, I find that rather than wearing orientals, orientals have a tendency to wear you if you're not careful. They can become oppressive, their opulence intrusive and overshadowing. That's never the case with 1899, and if you've been put off by orientals for the reason I just described, but like the idea of their basic structure and notes, this could be a great choice for you.

Longevity is very good, as I typically get anywhere from 8 to 10 hours. Projection is perfect, with about an arms length of radiance for the first 5 hours. Regarding gender, I would classify this as a masculine scent, leaning toward unisex.

In relation to Spicebomb, the sweetness of the opening accord is quite similar, and I understand why the comparisons have been made. I'll admit, it's the first thing that came to mind when I tried 1899. And both feature prominent cinnamon notes in their heart. But that's where the comparison ends. 1899 is altogether lighter, livelier, and stays on the side of florals and woods, whereas Spicebomb moves toward tobacco and leather. It also more sophisticated and well-composed than Spicebomb (which I've owned, and liked), in my opinion. They are really not that much alike in the end.

To summarize, 1899 Hemingway is a great offering from Histoires de Parfums that can be worn easily during the day or night. It features an excellent structure and balance of notes and may be the perfect fragrance for someone who likes their orientals on the lighter, more approachable side versus the denser, more formal.

Fantastic!

Carlitos01Carlitos01 4 days ago
Life is more fun and daring with spices. An extraordinary semi-sweet blending of black pepper, cinnamon and vanilla.
Finerthings8Finerthings8 3 months ago
it is spicy and very elegant.it is more refined and niche version of spice bomb.Above average performance.interesting house in general

Im freien Fall...
by Salva
by JB89
by JB89

Popular Histoires de Parfums

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums 1740 by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Absolu Eau de Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1889 - Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums Tubéreuse 3 Animale by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1725 by Histoires de Parfums 1826 by Histoires de Parfums 1828 by Histoires de Parfums This is not a Blue Bottle 1.2 / Ceci n'est pas un Flacon Bleu 1.2 by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Fidelis by Histoires de Parfums En Aparté - Prolixe by Histoires de Parfums 1804 by Histoires de Parfums Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums En Aparté - Irrévérent by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Pétroleum by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Rosam by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Veni by Histoires de Parfums This is not a Blue Bottle 1.4 / Ceci n'est pas un Flacon Bleu 1.4 by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums