1969 by Histoires de Parfums

1969 is a perfume by Histoires de Parfums for women and men and was released in 2006. The scent is fruity-sweet. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesFruits, Peach
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Cardamom, Rose, White blossoms
Base Notes Base NotesCoffee, Patchouli, Chocolate, White musk

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 25.06.2019

5.0 6.0 8.0/10

Stanze
Picnic basket of the revolt
1969 was the year of the first moon landing in history. Anyway, 1969 doesn't smell like rocket fuel. It was also the year of the brutal murders of the Manson family. 1969 doesn't smell like blood. Georges Pompidou became French President. Can't imagine that he had anything to do with 1969 and certainly not with revolt. Originally in 1969 it was called "1969 Parfum de Revolte". Karl Marx, Vladimir Lenin and Che Guevara were already dead in 1969 and can have nothing to do with it.

What's left? That's it. Woodstock! 1969 describes the possible picnic basket of a young woman. Why didn't we just think of that? The revolt in this case is the missing haircut or that she goes with the young man, who her parents find inappropriate and who always explains to her that free love is a great thing so that he can also take care of other young ladies. Let's call this young thing Silvia.

So Silvia packed fruit in her picnic basket for Woodstock, especially pears. She's probably a vegetarian. Fruits are handy, they last all weekend. She also brought a bottle of rose spray. That's unusual, but why not? You definitely need a drink when you're dancing. Besides, there's plenty of chocolate in that picnic basket. It may not be healthy, but it fills you up. And if you've smoked, it satisfies the cravings. Woodstock just now. What is supposed to evoke eroticism according to the manufacturer, however, does not open up to me. Maybe Silvia dances barefoot in the rain, dressed lightly, while she lasciviously swivels her picnic basket. I don't know again. 1969 does not smell of revolt and makes no other statement. But I digged out the old Woodstock record and now I hear the music writing.

I and family tester like 1969 well. I might even buy it. It's the first time I've bought a perfume from Histoires de Parfums! 1969 smells like pear rose spray with chocolate. So it's a fruity gourmand.

I had to spray it at work. Nobody's complaining. I'd have been surprised too. To go out in 1969 would probably have too little projection. Even at work, I wouldn't have regretted a little more Sillage. 1969 doesn't suck. 1969 is more suitable for women. Courageous men who want to rebel against sexist stereotypes can of course wear it. Since I was born in 1966, I am probably too old for 1969. 1969 will be my protest against age discrimination.
7.0 7.0 8.0 8.5/10

Parfum de Revolte 1969
Here is my video review of a fragrance from one of my favourite houses, Histoires de Perfumes. Hope you enjoy and get a sense of the fragrance from my description.

8.0/10

PMRP12
Unique stone fruit, light florals, and smooth chocolate.
The most surprising of the set for me; I’ve never smelled anything like this before. Bright stone fruit, light florals, and smooth chocolate. The opening is insane; like biting into a perfectly ripe peach on a sunny summer day. I keep sniffing my wrist with this one. A must-sample for anyone interested in unique, evocative scents.
2.0/10

Helpful Review
Also the year 1969 had a half winter
Culture needs a channel: ARTE. It canonizes currently for France and Germany the understanding of the moon landing that took place in 1969. That was the year of the revolt, and already with the logically second landing the revolt was finished. Then it had become a habit to trample on the moon.

1969' is more the image of this technical achievement (whether deceptive or true), when it wants to tell whole stories as 'Histoires De Parfums'. After a short time, a frame made of a single odorant appears on my skin. Odour profile: peach, chocolate (white), musk. Sensational! This has to be found first. For itself a great thing the nose quickly becomes disappointing. It can, my involuntary experiments say, detect the origin of smell, whether from a single molecule or from a mixture soon
How often can this impression affect people without becoming ordinary? Is it common at first, is it faded out or does it remain annoying? I don't think this perfume's as good as it looks. Already a certain thickness seems to want to cover the unnamed fragrance. But why, because in 'Mitsouko', for example, it worked out quite well to put the synthetics almost to the fore. However, modern odorous substances are also fairly valued by orders of magnitude more complicated than a simple peach lactone.

Altogether, at first glance, '1969' may seem like the earlier 'SUN', namely optimistically warm and radiant, overwhelming. But then he lacks the mischievous, sometimes subliminal smoky resinous tone of the old 'SUN'. Finally, '1969' rid itself of all complications towards a frame that no longer opens up new perspectives. Rigid, too bad.
7.0 6.0 6.0 6.0/10

Floral Gourmand
This is another one where I got a good deal on a travel size bottle so I went for it. By looking at the notes I thought I would love this fragrance because of all the gourmand notes listed, and I love gourmands. I just don't love this.

1969 opens up with peach with some other fruity notes which give way to some white florals. It is hard for me to wear white florals unless it is Carnal Flower but this ehhhhhh. Up comes a rather small dusting of patchouli which is good for this composition & the white chocolate & musk come aboard. I get no coffee from this.

Parfum de Revolte does not intrigue me nor my skin much for that matter as it sits rather flat with no real excitement. I am sure it will suit someone else just fine, but as for me it is just a average like yet a not for me fragrance. Quality ingredients, longevity around 6 hours, projection is ok.

Mar
8.0/10

Turning Point
I do not like prominent peach nor chocolate in perfume.
Also, I'm not very much a gourmand fan, nor a fruitchouli one.
But... jtd is right: here is a lesson to be learned.

This is a contemporary classic with a merry and defiant character: playful, sweet and spicy.
If only all revolutions were so beautifully balanced!
5.0 10.0 10.0 10.0/10

Sunshine Happiness In A Bottle
Bright, airy, fun and crisp. The blood orange(Fruit of the sun) hits you in the face. The initial spray is like cutting into an orange and it squirts you in the face-bam! It's an eye-opener. Now we're talking about a perfume that gets your attention. One that takes you out of your space and time. It's about time.
Coffee and cloves, yes, a bit disconcerting as you read the notes. Cardamom, chocolate, musk and patchouli too? It's all there. It seems like such a jumbled mix your head spins at first, but then it all comes together to a delightful happiness.
You're walking down an herbal path of gardens with the Partridge Family hiding in the flowering bushes singing their songs while Jimi and Janis are belting it out in your head. Yeah, this perfume is tripping you down the discordant path of 1969 and it's all Sunshine happiness. It lasts for hours on end and it's full-bottle worthy.

the present
As a decade, as a phenomenon, the 1960s has come to represent many things, from naiveté to revolution, but I assume in this case 1969 refers to the expansiveness that followed the 1967 Summer of Love.  You know, the hippy thing. ("Parfum de Révolte") To my nose, though, 1969 seems far more contemporary. It takes the fruity floral to school, demonstrating that even a genre as threadbare as the contemporary fruity floral can be beautiful and complex in the right hands.  Where the hoard of trashy fruitchoulis are glaring, as if highlighted by mercury vapor street lights, 1969 is professionally lit and ready for the camera. Hoard? What’s the collective noun for fruitchoulis? A host? A murder? A gaggle? A cast? Let’s appropriate the collective noun for the no-longer-used maidens. A rage of fruitchoulis.

1969 has a combination of softness, urgency and definition that gives a depth of tone that I would expect in a classic chypre but am startled by in a fruitchouli.  It balances intensity and austerity as a chypre would (think YSL’s Y) but still has a bit of that puppy energy of a fruitchouli. Quite sexy, really.
7.5 7.5 5.0/10

Do Coffee and Cocoa and Cardamom Mix? That is the Question.
Histoires de Parfums 1969 offers a somewhat confusing cacophony of dried fruit, gourmand and floriental notes. Black coffee, cardamom and cocoa impart a decided darkness to the mix, but I don't find this composition as coherent as some of my favorite cardamom-patchouli perfumes (CHINATOWN and LEXINGTON AVE, to name a couple).

Coffee and cardamom are happily paired; coffee and cocoa are happily paired. I'm not sure, however, whether all three belong together in the same bottle—at least based on this result. I also find the fruits somewhat gunky in the drydown, rather like the residue at the bottom of an almost-empty jar of peach jam.

I do not want to overgeneralize here, but suffice it to say that this woman has no business smelling like the residue at the bottom of an almost empty jam jar. All in all, 1969 is one of my least favorite of the offerings of this house. Désolée.

by Hamraz