Édition Rare - Ambrarem (2011)

Édition Rare - Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums
Édition Rare - Ambrarem (Histoires de Parfums)

Édition Rare - Ambrarem is a perfume by Histoires de Parfums for women and men and was released in 2011. The scent is animal-smoky. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Top Notes Top NotesElemi resin, Pink pepper
Heart Notes Heart NotesIris, Oud, Saffron
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Castoreum, Bourbon vanilla, Sandalwood

Submitted by Kankuro, last update on 21.02.2018

FlaconneurFlaconneur 6 years ago

„EDITIONS RARE - AMBRAREM by Histoires de Parfums”

DrseidDrseid 6 years ago

„Sickeningly Sweet Animalic Amber...”

Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Ambrarem
To this nose, “Ambrarem” is the most intriguing and challenging perfume from Histoires de Parfums to date. This is supposed to an animalic interpretation of “oud” due to the use of castoreum which announces its presence rather forcefully from the very beginning. This vigorous introduction could put many wearers off. It shouldn't because under the heavy lid lies a mellow heart and a seductive base. Throughout its development it is apparent that you're dealing with a unique niche fragrance composed of ingredients of the highest quality.

“Ambrarem” may not be perceived as a particularly versatile perfume. It's not meant to be. Yet it is its off-kilter nature that reminds me why I adore niche perfumery. It's not a fragrance that sucks up to its wearers. Far from it! “Ambrarem” commands its wearers to get accustomed to it. Most of them won't, but for a small group of true connoisseurs it'll undoubtedly become a source of ultimate olfactory pleasure.

To conclude, in order to remain consistent with its animalic character, I'll resort to the following simile: at first, “Ambrarem” roars like a tiger, both terrifying and awe-inspiring, which gradually transforms into a kitten. Albeit sweet and cuddly, this kitten can still put its claws to very effective (and painful!) use.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 10.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 3.0/10
Sickeningly Sweet Animalic Amber...
I know I am going to take a beating on this, as Ambrarem is getting near universal love, but I don't like it. I get almost nothing in the way of its listed top notes, instead it almost immediately gets to the Oud and amber combo, and it is quite sweet and cloying. There must be some vanilla or other "sweetener" in here, because this is one of the sweetest ambers I have encountered, and I do not like sweet ambers at all. There is also a not too subtle petroleum vibe going on, but unlike Pétroleum from the same company where it works brilliantly, in Ambrarem it comes off as annoying. Castoreum rounds out the notes I can detect, and it is a pretty strong dose at that. Sillage and longevity are unfortunately superb.

What can I say? Ambrarem is just not for me and I will have to respectfully disagree with the majority that love it. Try and smell it for yourself and make up your own mind. Not recommended, unless you absolutely love sickeningly sweet animalic amber/Oud combos. 1.5 stars out of 5.
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 7.5/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 9.0/10
EDITIONS RARE - AMBRAREM by Histoires de Parfums
The Edition Rare collection from Histoires de Parfums is an interesting concept from perfumer Gerald Ghislain. This series was release just last year. Mr. Ghislain has this "stories through scent" credo when developing his productions. All three in this collection share a command thread, the ever popular oudh. This trio's modern interpretation showcases the exotic dark resinous oudh, and explores the arena of plant, mineral and animal themes. Ambrarem is denoted as the one in this group with an animalistic nature. We will see.

Edition Rare-Ambrarem opens with a sharp and peppery stance, laced with a bit of brisk conifer and shadowy citrus. This brief opening caught me by surprise. As the opening fades, a slightly powdery and soft iris is detected. As dark, woody, resinous oudh and the hay-like scent of saffron creeps into the picture, it banishes any thoughts of pretty powdery florals taking center stage in Ambrarem. Just as fleeting as the opening was, the heart skips casually on its way. The slightly scorched leather-like castoreum keeps Ambrarem a smoldering oddity. The smoky, simmering ember that burns in the base of this fragrance is blended with a sophisticated boozy vanilla. The vanilla adds a touch of aged sweetness, while dry aromatic sandalwood and amber adds the warmth this aggressive fragrance needed.

I found Edition Rare-Ambrarem to be compelling and a bit mystifying. I subconsciously continued to sniff my hand time and time again while sampling this fragrance. The fiery quality was engrossing and the woody and warming nature kept my interest. Is Ambrarem truly the animal in this trio by Histoires de Parfums? I find it to be a loose interpretation at best. The animalistic suggestions are rather vague. Gerald Ghislain's slight nod to an animalistic nature in Ambrarem is circumscribed within a smoky, leathery scent with a cuddly warm amber root.

Serepave 3 years ago
Amber addicted...this had been in my wish list before I met Montmarte by Morph...+2

• by MrFumejunkie by MrFumejunkie