Noir Patchouli

Noir Patchouli by Histoires de Parfums
Noir Patchouli is a perfume by Histoires de Parfums for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is earthy-spicy. The longevity is above-average. It is still available to purchase.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Gérald Ghislain (Creative Director)

Top Notes Top NotesCardamomCardamom
VetiverVetiver
MossMoss
LeatherLeather
VanillaVanilla

Submitted by Lobelia, last update on 21.10.2021.

Kaathi85
Past times in the dark living room
I take a seat on grandma's sprawling upholstered sofa. Right next to the thick dark blue velvet curtains, which smell slightly musty and yet radiate comfort, just like her whole living room. Here you linger over coffee or tea and reminisce, following Grandma's smiling stories about old times and decades, with a hint of wistfulness in her voice and face.

Despite this lovely, pleasant association, I am completely ambivalent about Noir Patchouli. This fragrance overwhelms and confuses me. Was yet my first, impulsive conclusion: patch is really not for me! Fierce, dominant, in-your-face, a sillage slap in the face. Heavy(tired!), musty, stale. Classic, suitable for older ladies, "granny scent". Too specific, intense.
But: why on earth, I then hang non-stop with my nose on my arm, am apparently fascinated by this fragrance?! Especially since I perceive him by sillage completely different than directly with the nose on the skin. I don't pay attention to the other fragrances I'm testing at the same time, they disappear completely. Thematically as well as olfactorically. Yes, I must admit to myself: This is something like art. Maybe I have a masterpiece in front of me?

You may forgive me for not being able to rate Noir Patchouli (today). For one thing, it absolutely does not do justice to a "I can not decide, so wirds a solid 3+ (note)"! For another, I'm sure I would test it 3x and rate it 3x differently. Depending on weather, mood, other fragrance rivals on the skin.... Whereby that is probably always so, a fragrance evaluation is nevertheless ultimately a snapshot. Today - the fragrance brings something melancholy and sluggishness with it, makes me ponder, pause. Appropriately, a rain shower just came down. Or am I perhaps infatuated or hypnotized by Noir Patchouli after all?
I leave the points today open, am absolutely over questioned...

Histoires de Patchouli
This house has proven itself to me with several consistently quality offerings. One of my all time favourites is 1740, and that perfume's patchouli dna can be found here. Thanks for watching and hope you enjoy.

Anachronic green patchouli
I've never smelled a patchouli like this, it's green, almost minty at first. It is one of those fragrances that I love because I don't know if I like them or not, they make me think. I have tried it on paper, on my skin and on my husband's and I agree with other reviews that say they don't see black anywhere. Instead I see the green of the cardamom, with the patchouli and of course the leather! It reminds me of Cuire d'Aigle Russe from Oriza Legrand, but with more warmth, that of patchouli and a little bit of amber. Like all the HdP line they have completely achieved an anachronistic air. In my big husband I love it.
Elegance + Charisma+ Earthiness...... Very perfect, a masterpiece
first of all 1000 thanks to Turandot, without her I would never have come to this perfume....
i was so excited, because as a great parure lover, I now went very expectantly to this fragrance
yes, I recognize the - I call it a family connection very strong -
Parure is just not so " earthy" for me, but both radiate something unbelievable
to put this incomprehensible into words is a little difficult for me
but I'm trying
In this perfume are ingredients that always immediately give me a "feeling of well-being" a kind of " arrival": Moss, coriander, patchouli of the finest kind, vetiver and leather Noir Patchouli is a perfume I have to smell again and again, a magnetic attraction.
Patchouli here in no way musty and much more restrained than in Bracken of Amouage, which however is a true sword precisely because of its volume.
Patchouli here has nothing to do with the small oriental bottles of the past, which were dark brown in oil form, serving a certain market in the 70's, they were in fact almost musty, musty and had no elegance and positive charisma at all.
A good friend of mine had at that time a small shop with decoration gifts, the Arafat cloths worn at that time (bestseller in black and white) and many knick-knacks and these oils and she sold most vanilla, amber and patchouli These smells had so nothing to do with perfume art and you have to eliminate them a little from your subconscious, then everyone understands patchouli and other basic substances differently.
Noir Patchouli is a classic! Here it is not about inspiring the masses quickly; here is rather quietly a perfume for hours very beautiful in harmony of a work of art perceived.
the herbaceous vetiver and the here soft leather give the finish and give the harmony to the whole further.
Fortunately, the vanilla is also very cleverly used here in the base, just a touch, so that the fragrance itself never gets too sweet in the end.

This will be my next purchase!
i am looking forward to this beautiful company already now

PMRP12
All patchouli and spice, with a touch of green moss.
I prefer the smoother dry down, which trades some of the loud earthiness for soft musk. Must-sample for patchouli fans, but a hard sell for anyone else. Still, very well done.
Serenissima
Will, fine boy, you go with me ...
For months I searched in vain for a fragrance that would really bring out one of my favorites, Patchouli, the way I love it.
Patchouli finds its equivalent in my emotional world in the tiger's eye, this golden-brown quartz with the almost silky sheen.
So I see Patchouli in broad light and dark brown and golden streams flowing, wafting, meandering through the most different fragrance creations.
How disappointed I was by my previous search, I have documented here yes; whom or what I also tested: "They should not come together ..."

At the moment I have settled in a little in the world of "Histoires de Parfums"; there I feel comfortable and met here "Noir Patchouli"!
Not exactly hopeful, I sprayed and squealed with surprise: "That's him! Finally!"
It's a patchouli smell from my heart and it's flying towards him. At a pace that would break any lap record in Formula 1.

Already at the beginning a dark, almost erotic fragrance intensity spreads: cardamom and coriander - generously embraced by patchouli! The senses awaken; vibrate with expectation!
Also the generous heart is determined by the golden brown patchouli - beautiful!
I notice a not too small pinch of pepper (it bizzelt a little in the nose: a sure sign!).
The aroma of juniper berries is strong enough to take its place in this powerful sound of aromas.
Delicate floral scents cavort on the edge of these spicy, creamy fragrance melanges; they bring small light points into this now deep brown magic!
Patchouli needs moist soil to unfold its full potential; it is not a scent for dust and dryness.
Gérald Ghislain, the storyteller of "Histoires de Parfums", paid tribute to him here:
"Noir Patchouli" gets deeper and more mysterious and enticing.
I follow him fascinated and already sensually placed in golden brown chains.
Vetiver's dark green soil is enriched with moss (possibly even oakmoss?) and musk.
Everything, very generously dosed, fits together harmoniously, almost magically to this Patchouli pleasure.
In order to leave the "damp forest ground" and honour the glowing light, a pleasant leather nuance and enticing vanilla - heavy, cream-coloured and creamy - were added as a finale to the existing scent symphony.

Patchouli full: full-bodied, earthy, of deep dark sensuality - more than just subtle eroticism!
A spicy, almost black living magic, which surrounds me for many hours fragrantly and assures me again and again that we both - "Noir Patchouli" and I - belong together!
This scented guy invites me to a pleasant lolling, to a satisfied purring ...
(And psst!; he doesn't leave many (scent)-wishes open!)

If I have already taken the title of this commentary from Goethe's "Erlkönig", then I will quite simply conclude with the words of the Privy Councillor:
"I love you; I'm tempted by your beautiful figure..."
(everyone knows the rest anyway!)

There is no doubt that this filling will stay with me until the last bit of aroma has evaporated.
It's just a pity that this is the last of the historical fragrances that have been introduced here.
Merlin's Potion
Could there have been such an elixir in the 5th century? And if it is, then Merlin has brewed it for King Arthur and his men.
With this they certainly beat back every "barbarian" before anyone had drawn his sword.
"The fragrance is not exactly "British", nor "barbaric", but it is a magic elixir in the truest sense of the word.
As spicy and rack it starts, "Patchouli Noir" quickly turns into a woody-rosy direction with lots of patchouli. Strengthens mind and soul. Known to be effective, also in aromatherapy. Fragrances are also "dreams", but also "medicine".
And if a thick carpet of moss is then spread out at some point, then "feel-good level is acute". And there's hardly a peeve in everyday life that can get close to you. When I sniff at this fragrance stage, I can recognize a kind of tart, dark, delayed "powderiness" that acts like an echo of the previous fragrance. Only reinforced and long lasting.
The fragrance then looks like an olfactory "knight's armour", forged from the best "steel". And enchantingly early medieval in the Odeur, chivalrous and royal even.
Almost unswervingly and attentively at the same time.
That's only good for me behind the shield.

Insense
Neither a noir, nor a patchouli; a floral leather instead
I am very fond of Histories de Parfums, being 1740 one of my preferred and in my top five currently. There is something in their craftsmanship, very french, that makes me believe they found the secret how to modernize the classic perfumery.
So, their perfumes are all real perfumes, not just scents or mere experiences. They exude class and distinction.
On my take on patchouli-centered, there is a time I found the one for me: Messe de Minuit, from Etro, although it brings to me much more than just patchouli, as I wrote in its review. I also love Borneo 1834 from Lutens, but it doesn’t seem to me so complete as a whole experience.
But, then, I found Noir Patchouli. And its name puzzled me, as I did not found the patchouli here I was used to. There is a hint of it, but my sensations turned around it and were leaded by that beautiful and elegant aroma of lovely floral notes mixed with the leather, that exquisite leather that HdP carries in their portfolio and I love so much. There are spices also, and some vanilla, and…juniper, which always is a plus for me (actually Ormonde Jayne Man is another one in my top 5, being juniper one of the main reasons).
I don’t find this particularly masculine, and I wonder if there could be an androgynous for the upper class, this would be the one. I mean, the ancient hippie guy that became the manager of a successful trendy art gallery.
Noir? Maybe for some, for me it is shiny! And not replacing Messe de Minuit in my heart (that's not possible), it would fit me for a night in the Concertgebow in Amsterdam watching ancient music played with ancient instruments.

noir patch
I was turned onto Noir Patchouli by my friend Steve at ScentBar who knows that I love Aromatics Elixir. With no other intro than a laugh and a smile he said, “You have to try this.” As I smelled it and he saw the recognition light me up, he just said, “Right?!”

Absolutely right.

I’ve always had a question. Why has no one copied Aromatics Elixir? Why has no one tried to imitate it? Aromatics Elixir is a huge patchouli rose-chypre. It’s a tribute to patchouli, but you would never mistake it for something that you would find in a head shop. It juuuusst barely reins in the patchouli. Bernard Chant went as far down the patch path as he could go when he composed Aromatics Elixir. Fortunatley, he didn’t balance patchouli with lighter notes. He matched it with thick balsams, woody notes and a dark, dense rose. One of the few things he didn’t add was syrup, so contemporary perfume wearers will need to find a new Rosetta stone to translate it to fruitchouli-speak.

Noir Patchouli is a great homage to the old gal. It doesn't have the rose or the moss, but it is the same loving take on patchouli. Bernard Chant recognized that patchouli doesn't need to be cut or cajoled. It simply needs the right context and proper lighting. In the same way that Bernard Chant let patchouli speak its own mind, Gérald Ghislain of Histoires de Parfums hands the mic over to patchouli. Noir Patchouli is as deliberate as Aromatics Elixir, but it replaces AE's forcefulness with partial transparency. Where AE is earthy, Noir Patchouli is smoky. Noir Patchouli is almost as heavy as AE, but it’s not nearly so dense. AE has an bitterness that reads as herbal. Noir Patchouli comes off like a spirit, not quite whiskey, not quite brandy. This liquor-like tone is what brings the smokiness, the camphorous sweetness together.

Noir Patchouli comes off as very composed and self-assured. Or maybe that’s how simply how I feel when I smell it.

If Noir Patchouli had come out earlier, it would have been the perfect solution for the wearers of Givenchy Gentleman who were fucked when a car-wreck of a reformulation deprived them of their fix. Noir Patchouli holds its own in a competition among niche patchoulis. In fact, it beats most of them. It has a straightforwardness that ‘clean’ patch lovers would like, but the gravitas that most patch enthusiasts seek.

If you’re looking for a real twisted scene, get together with some fumie friends and try back to back to back samplings of Aromatics Elixir, Aramis A900, Aromatics Elixir Perfumer’s Reserve and Noir Patchouli. If you get out of the room alive you’ll have some stories to tell.

from scenthurdle.com

An Easy Rider Elixir
A triple threat of patchouli—featured among the top notes, the heart, and the base notes—in Histoires de Parfum NOIR PATCHOULI makes this a patchouli-lovers-only perfume. Serving to intensify the patchouli madness is a fairly hefty dose of leather, making this a rather hard-hitting composition to my nose. Although the house lists “Bouquet Floral” among the heart notes, I must say that I have difficulty detecting any florals whatsoever, drowned out as they are by the patchouli and the leather.

As NOIR PATCHOULI dries down, its noir aspect begins to dominate to the point where I'd classify this more as a leather than an oriental perfume. I would recommend this to hard-core leather lovers, but they obviously must also enjoy patchouli in order to wear this Easy Rider elixir...

by Hofnärrin
by Hofnärrin

Popular Histoires de Parfums

Ambre 114 by Histoires de Parfums 1899 by Histoires de Parfums 1740 by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Absolu Eau de Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1889 - Moulin Rouge by Histoires de Parfums Tubéreuse 3 Animale by Histoires de Parfums 1904 (Parfum) by Histoires de Parfums 1725 by Histoires de Parfums 1826 by Histoires de Parfums 1828 by Histoires de Parfums This is not a Blue Bottle 1.2 / Ceci n'est pas un Flacon Bleu 1.2 by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Fidelis by Histoires de Parfums En Aparté - Prolixe by Histoires de Parfums 1804 by Histoires de Parfums En Aparté - Irrévérent by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Pétroleum by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Rosam by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Veni by Histoires de Parfums This is not a Blue Bottle 1.4 / Ceci n'est pas un Flacon Bleu 1.4 by Histoires de Parfums Édition Rare - Ambrarem by Histoires de Parfums