Chantilly (1941) Perfume

Chantilly (Perfume) by Houbigant

Chantilly (Perfume) is a popular perfume by Houbigant for women and was released in 1941. The scent is floral-spicy. The production was apparently discontinued.

Marcel Billot

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Fruity notes, Neroli, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, Spices, Jasmine, Orange blossom, Rose, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesBenzoin, Oakmoss, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Vanilla

Submitted by Ingepetra, last update on 17.09.2019.

5.0 2.5 5.0 1.0/10

Scrubber In The Truest and Purest Form Of Journalism I Know
Lemony soap. After sneezing my way through both the vintage and today's version of Chantilly, I've decided that although it's a nice scent for my dishwashing liquid, I could never wear this perfume. Unfortunately for me, it doesn't wear very well.
Chantilly opens with a basic lemony true soapy scent. About an hour into wearing it, I was able to detect a faint powdered vanilla fragrance still capturing an aroma of citrus zest, reminding me to clean out my kitchen cabinets. That was the vintage side talking gently to me. The newer formulation was screeching lemon-infused brillo pads at me and screaming "Get To Work Now...Or Else!" I decided to dodge the brillo pads being thrown at me and head for the hills.
At this point I can finally use the term "scrubber" for Chantilly in the truest and purest way of Journalism that I have been taught since college. Off to the sink I go.
5.0 5.0 7.5 5.0/10

Katad
Kinda grows on you after a while... just a little
I have seen this scent around for a zillion years, but never tried it. So when the opportunity came to buy a miniature at the drug store for $7, I grabbed one. The first time trying, my thoughts were 'Bleeech! Yuck - old lady or what? All that soap is burning my nose hairs!' So I put it aside for a time, like really far at the back of my shelf.

The next time I hauled it out I thought 'This is seriously Old Lady territory, yes, but it does get nicer after a while. I think I sense something else under all that soap, not sure what it is but maybe it's not so bad as I thought?'

Then, life goes on and other things take my attention away from fragrance for a while. I wander into my bedroom and see the tiny bottle of Chantilly sitting on the shelf. Well, worth one more try, I say to myself. So I try it again. This time, although I still find the initial blast of soapiness really overpowering, it does die down in a bit and underneath there is a lovely tinge of lemon. The jarring notes tone down a little more and some nice floral comes up although the soapiness is still very strong for me. Upon drying down it becomes much nicer and smooth with some nice vanilla-y notes.

After reading all of the positive reviews, both here and on Fragrantica, I wonder if maybe my miniature is some kind of reformulation? I have no idea, or maybe it just doesn't sit well with my chemistry. All in all, Chantilly will never be a favorite for me although it ends up not as horrible as I first thought.
7.0/10

Awesomeness
CHANTILLY IS ONE HOT MAMA.
Chantilly is powdery & old-fashioned, according to the reviews. As a result, I was anticipating a pretty, rose Victorian fragrance along the lines of ET Black Pearls. Had I confined my test to a sniff out of the bottle, I might have concurred. Thankfully, I wore it instead.

Chantilly is a powdery oriental with edginess - leather, smoke, and spices. I like it ... alot! I would have never thought it possible given online reviews referring to floral teenage scents, rosy old women, the Victorian era, plastic doll houses, antique lacy drawers, and trash can freshners. My chemistry must be soaking in the florals & projecting the orientals because:

CHANTILLY IS ONE HOT MAMA.

How does Chantilly wear? Like Molinard Habanita, or CK Obession + powder + leather, or Montana Just Me + powder. Yah, Chantilly is like that ... on me. It's truly cougar-worthy. I kinda feel sorry for the young pups who can't pull it off. Not! ;)

At one point I owned a couple bottles, and I am glad I did. But if truth be told, I decided that this Mama would wear Molinard Habanita instead of Chantilly. It was fun while it lasted though.
5.0 7.5 7.5 5.0/10

A Pink Dollhouse
The opening has a strange plastic opening a reminiscent of a pink dollhouse. i just don't know it smells
like plastic to me.
5.0 5.0 7.5 7.0/10

Elegance to every oppotunity
I follow the German Parfumo ladies to 100%!!!

I find Chantilly old-fashioned, very elegant wonderfully.

The head note greets me rosily fruitily. Sweetens an easy and spice notes start.

The base ends with musk and light vanilla.

I would also take this smell on a journey.
How Turandot already wrote, an all-rounder.

I have looked after the Vintage version. There is some in the USA; this would be too effortful for me.
I would rather be content with the 'newer' bottle there anyway.
Chantilly lands obviously in my shopping basket. At the admission two months ago to the parfumo world I was warned.
It has used nothing !!!

by Neroli
by Neroli
Inhalt war eindeutig feiner als der Flakon, leider jetzt Geschichte:-)
by Turmalin
by Arlufkin
by Schahram
by Schahram

Popular Houbigant

Fougère Royale (2010) (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Iris des Champs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Duc de Vervins by Houbigant Cologne Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Chantilly (Perfume) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Raffinée (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Demi-Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Extrait) by Houbigant Essence Rare (2018) by Houbigant Bois Mystique (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Aperçu (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant Mon Boudoir (2019) by Houbigant Lutèce (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum Extreme) by Houbigant Fougère Royale (2010) (Extrait) by Houbigant