Fougère Royale 2010Eau de Parfum

Version from 2010
Fougère Royale (2010) (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant
Fougère Royale (2010) (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Houbigant for men and was released in 2010. The scent is fougère-fresh. It is being marketed by Perris Group. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Moroccan chamomile, Lavender, Mediterranean herbs
Heart Notes Heart NotesCarnation, May rose absolute, Geranium, Rondeletia, Cinnamon
Base Notes Base NotesAmber, Oakmoss, Coumarin, Mastic absolute, Clary sage absolute, Patchouli, Tonka bean absolute

Submitted by Apicius, last update on 02.10.2020.

Surprising twists and turns
Not long ago I started to work here in this forum. From the beginning, however, I was gripped by the passion and the challenge to learn new things about the wide field of fragrances.
After reading a little bit into the comments and the nomenclature for the description of the fragrances in the last weeks, I decided to deal a little bit more with the fragrance families.

As I could imagine the least among the family of fragrances of the classical Fougères, I have acquired here in the Souk one of the reference fragrances to this family of fragrances: Fougère Royale as EdP.

Now I'm lying alone on the couch... Just me and Fougère Royale.

Among the many olfactory experts and especially experienced olfactory analysts here in this forum, who have impressed me with their expertise since my registration a few months ago, I am one of those people who have developed a passion for the wonderful world of perfume, but who do not have the ability to analyze and describe fragrances without supporting clues.

So the description Terra posted here a few years ago helps me to formulate my first impression after spraying the fragrance. I also smell, at first even quite intensively, the aromas of woodruff. However, I have less the association of an artificial green jelly than of the actual herb. Sweet too, but natural. And just as it happened when I discovered this herb with the special aroma as a child, I have to smile a little bit.

I take bergamot and citric was refreshing, but only briefly and only at the very beginning. Quite quickly the woodruff scent fades into the background and the camomile sounds. It does not play itself into the foreground either, but remains until the end, so that an association of familiarity, solid seriousness but also reserved and shy mastery arises in my case
Here is a short thought:
I have often thought when I tested a fragrance: "Would you like to be a person for whom such a fragrance looks good? Would you like to be a person who could wear that scent well?" More often you ask the question differently. One asks: "Does this scent suit me?", or "Which scent suits me?"
But what if you think of "restrained-shy mastery"? Do you want to be a person who wears such a fragrance well?

But then there is a first remarkable turn of events. Suddenly - and I really mean suddenly - suddenly a completely new scent develops. I have the impression that this happens from one second to the next. I even raise my head to smell once again whether the scent of the balcony flowers standing nearby might be deceiving me.
But I don't think of flowers first, but rather of the leaves of plants. And these are not smooth, rich green leaves. They're rather firm, slightly furry, hairy leaves. Maybe the leaves of petunias, geraniums or lady's mantle
And in my head pictures are created:
When I was a child, I went with my mother into the forest to pick blueberries. In those parts of the forest where the sun shone hot, a fragrance developed that was sweet and herbaceous. The scent of sunlit fern and at the same time the quiet scent of plant decay, the ephemeral and sweetish overripe.

And again a twist:
I approach my nose to my forearm, on which I have sprayed the perfume, and breathe out.
What happens can be compared to the experience that becomes possible when you exhale while drinking a wine while the wine is still on your tongue.
The scent becomes more perceptible to me. I can now smell plant parts, herbs. The scent becomes spicy, complex and wins enormously The herbs dominate. Camomile still plays a part, but it is only a small part and I have associations of a fine herbal liqueur. It is not a fashionable liqueur served on ice. It is rather a room-warm, well-tempered liqueur or a good dark wormwood. This impression remains until the end.

The flowery part of my life hardly develops.
Again, it is rather leaves that you grind between your fingers and again and again you get the impression of smelling something animal-like.

After about 4 hours, the fragrance becomes very close to my skin, but remains until late evening and lasts for almost 10 hours.

In the last hours an unbelievable cleanness remains on my arm. This is not the cosy, woolly cleanliness of freshly washed laundry. And it's also not the smell of soapy cleanliness.
It is rather the dignified cleanliness of a gentleman in a brushed coat...

The following day:
After my first experience and after my intensive smelling, I wear Fougère Royal.
And a wonderful scent that envelops me, that gives me comforting and homely support, carries me through a stressful day at the office.

Do I want to be a man who likes that smell? Do I want to be a man who wears this fragrance well?

Restrained shy mastery... There seem to be days when I'm like this
Elagant
Fougere Royale (2010) by Houbigant describe elegance and masculinity. It's vegetable and a little flowery. Lavender, geranium and lilac are noticeable. Green notes of freshness and chamomile follow. Rounded off with vetiver, bergamot and rose. It's perfect for the summer months. Highly developed in every respect. I think every man should have this fragrance in his collections.

Small review of Fougère Royale extrait de parfum
My sample contains 'extrait de parfum', however the strength is either the same as EdP or at most 25% stronger.

My sample is similar to the other reviews. The opening is herbal and smells nice. I don't smell any obvious lavender, any lavender probably blends in with the herbal notes. The heart is a blend of cinnamon, florals, and a spicy note. If there's any moss, then it's manifested by the top and heart notes having some darkness added to them.

By the time you enter the dry down there's no moss to speak of. In the dry down I smell the same notes as the heart but weaker, probably made a little sweeter by a pinch of tonka bean. No clary sage. I get about 5 hours longevity, which is disappointing. F. Royale smells bitter and 'distinguished'.

fougere royale
the opening is certainly good ,a very well blended aromatic spicy frag ,not so far close to the original fougere royale with whom it shares just the name ,i found it so subtle and with poor longevity for my tastes
2.5
2.5

Drseid
A Side-By Side Vintage Versus Re-Issue Comparison...
*This is primarily a review of the vintage EdC of Fougere Royale with a side-by side comparison to the current EdP re-issue...

Fougere Royale EdC (vintage) opens with very aromatic lavender and mild bergamot before quickly transitioning to its primary overall accord as the lavender remains, now coupling with a combination of oakmoss and hay-like coumarin rising from the base, with a very mild cinnamon undertone with mild herbs joining it. During the later stage of the dry-down the scent grows faint with hints of vanilla detectable underneath the rapidly receding herbal green accord. Projection and longevity are well below average, with the scent lasting only 3 hours on skin before it is nearly undetectable.

Fougere Royale EdP (re-issue) opens with a sparkling bergamot mixing with a more subdued lavender than the EdC and a very notable cinnamon or nutmeg undertone. The scent has a very soapy vibe that is missing the oakmoss and coumarin the EdC features so prominently early, instead focusing on the bergamot, lavender and cinnamon solely. This combination holds for most of the scent's duration until the later dry-down, as very subtle oakmoss is revealed as the bergamot and lavender completely dissipate. Joining the just detectable oakmoss is a relatively dry amber that rounds out the scent's development. Projection is average and longevity is below average at about 4-6 hours on skin.

Fougere Royale EdC (vintage) is a fine example of what many of the best old-school fougeres replicate. It is heavily driven by oakmoss and coumarin with aromatic lavender in strong support for the primary accord, and what an accord it is! I did find it a bit smoother and much more wearable than the rough around the edges accord I was expecting based on others who have smelled it before. That said, it was a very pleasant surprise as some of those rough scents like Crown's Fougere and Penhaligons' English Fern were both just too much for me and I really disliked them both. In contrast, Fougere Royale EdC is very wearable, much less vociferous and quite gorgeous and natural smelling with the oakmoss and coumarin really making the composition work. The vinatge EdC is as rare as they come and a long since discontinued full bottle may be near impossible to obtain for anywhere near sane money on the aftermarket, but if you get a chance to sample this 4.5 star out of 5 juice that launched the Fougere genre, I highly recommend it.

A brief comment on the EdP Fougere Royale re-issue... I sniffed the reissue first as I had my sample of that one before obtaining the vintage juice and was initially highly impressed. When analyzed as its own scent without the Fougere Royale legacy to live up to the EdP re-issue really does smell great. It is a relatively simplistic composition of bergamot, lavender and cinnamon over a lightly soapy base; nothing more, nothing less. A very clean and easy to wear scent that is stronger in potency and lasts longer than the original while projecting better too. That said, it just does not strike me as a true fougere and when you smell it side-by-side to the EdC its deficiencies are made all the more clear. It also is relatively pricey at $170 (or $600 for the lacquered box version) for 100ml considering it is such a linear simplistic scent no matter how pleasant. I love it, but I find it hard to recommend at that price point and also with the knowledge that it only is a faint shadow of the original EdC. Still, it earns a 3.5 to 4 star out of 5 rating in its own right.

Lavender Cologne
I'd be very interested to hear from those who've tried both the vintage and the new iteration. How do they compare? I think I've let expectation get the best of me. I tried the reissued FR and was underwhelmed. While the drydown had a pleasant soapy quality, FR mostly seemed like a mild lavender fragrance, not the trombones-blasting, coumarinic feast I imagined. Again, my expectation, my problem. Still, in trying to consider FR on its own, it just didn't capture me. Had I not known this was the remake of a classic and had simply smelled it 'cold' I probably would have said, "Nice, soapy lavender. Nothing to write home about except that it shows a bit of complexity over time." Probably.

I think of fougères and chypres as being defined not only by their constituent notes but by their demonstration of classic evolution: top, heart, base. FR doesn't really get that. It doesn't really smell like a fougère at all, just a lavender cologne. This is the grand-daddy of them all?!

by Kovex
by DerRalle
by Dilosch2210
by Dilosch2210

Popular Houbigant

Iris des Champs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Extrait) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum Extreme) by Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Cologne Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Bois Mystique (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Essence Rare (2018) by Houbigant Mon Boudoir (2019) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum Extreme) by Houbigant Chantilly (Perfume) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Raffinée (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale (Extrait) by Houbigant Lutèce (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Demi-Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant Iris des Champs (Extrait) by Houbigant Fougère Royale (2010) (Extrait) by Houbigant