Quelques Fleurs L'Original 1912Eau de Parfum

Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant
Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum) is a popular perfume by Houbigant for women and was released in 1912. The scent is floral-spicy. It is being marketed by Perris Group. Pronunciation

Top Notes Top NotesBergamot, Tarragon, Galbanum, Lemon
Heart Notes Heart NotesBeeswax, Carnation, Clove, Broom, Jasmine, Lily-of-the-valley, Orange blossom, Rose, Tuberose, Violet, Ylang-ylang
Base Notes Base NotesOakmoss, Iris, Musk, Sandalwood, Tonka bean, Civet, Cedarwood

Submitted by Bergamotte, last update on 21.07.2020.

Since 2011 Houbigant offers specially crafted crystal bottles that contain the Extrait of the fragrance "Quelques Fleurs L'Original". The bottles are designed by Elisabetta Perris and are only available in very limited numbers.

My story about Quelques Fleurs
I've wanted to tell my story about this fragrance for a long time: it must actually have been in the year it was re-released (1988). During one of my forays through my favourite perfumeries I was given a sample tube as an encore. Exactly this fell from my bedroom chest of drawers in the first apartment occupied by myself and my newly wed husband. On the tiled floor it broke immediately of course, but this mad smell filled the room for days and enchanted me totally. Finally I dragged my poor freshly in love and accordingly patient man through all the perfumeries of the big city in search of exactly this fragrance, but in a bottle "to pour", because I intended to add smaller fillings as a pocket sprayer. It is still slumbering in my treasure chest, my other treasure has just today again bravely accompanied me on the hunt for another "game" (miniatures offered by HERMES in the classified ads of our daily newspaper).
Quelques Fleurs, just launched as a fragrance, brings back countless memories. I feel like I'm immersed in an ocean of flowers. And all this with only a swab on the wrist.
If I still find it in the morning, that's great for my dry skin Every day for the office it seems too violent, but at family gatherings in summer it will certainly be used again.
So many flowers..
Hello! Here I am again :)
... oh, stop sighing, it always hurts me so... *sigh*

I'll bring you a new commi, like every night. This time to a fragrance that somehow reminds me of my school days. But not because of the fragrance itself, but because the name of the fragrance begins with the French word "Quelques", which reminds me of the French lesson, which fortunately was only one of the few subjects in which I was really grottenschlecht. I think it was even THE subject where I was the worst, I don't know why... but I like the French language (which was probably not the case back then)!

Anyway, "Quelques" means "some"... so the fragrance is called "some flowers", which puts us once again in an area where I am so bad, too: Flowers! :D
Yes, yes, but you already know that, so I don't want to bore you with it now. What is more interesting is that this fragrance has been around for a number of years. According to the entry here on Parfumo, it was published in 1912, can you imagine? 1912!! There wasn't any perfume yet! What were people doing back then? :D

Be that as it may, here comes a quite old scent, which is still available, by the way, ... but probably already has some formula changes behind it, as it is ...

The fragrance:
The fragrance starts with lemons, which not only appear fresh and citric, but also creamy, which of course could be due to the softer floral notes, but I can't say exactly what I smell about flowers that make the fragrance creamy... maybe this is a mix of jasmine, violets (which look powdery after all) and other flowers. Very soon I can at least identify the carnation well. But then it smells more like a mix of all kinds of flowers, now together with the oakmoss, as well as a scent in the background, which reminds me a little bit of mastic resin (maybe it's the galbanum or tarragon??).
Be that as it may, it still smells slightly citric and soft and creamy at the same time, which results in a beautiful, fresh scent, which can also be used on not so warm days. Over time it becomes a little heavier and warmer, especially when the ylang-ylang starts and the fragrance becomes slightly muggier. Although not soo extremely sultry, as it is softened by softer fragrances such as iris, tonka bean and other sweet scents like musk. Nevertheless, the ylang-ylang is also one of the main scents much later, which makes the fragrance look quite old-fashioned and mature, especially together with the oakmoss, more than at the beginning.

The Sillage and the shelf life:
The Sillage is quite good, so that one remains wrapped in a proper scent cloud for a longer time. Of course this cloud gets smaller and smaller over time, but the scent here is not a weak scent. The shelf life is also tidy with over ten hours of stamina.

The bottle:
The bottle is cylindrical and not completely permeable, it has something of the frosted glass. It is filled with a light yellow scented liquid that shines beautifully through the bottle. Flower patterns have been worked into the glass, which is nice to look at. The lid is cylindrical and gilded and you can also see flower patterns on it. It's a nice bottle.

Wow, yeah... there's some flowers in here, as the name suggests. I find the selection of flowery notes very successful. Even though I can't actually identify everything that is listed below in the fragrance pyramid, I think the mix of these fragrances is a good one, because it doesn't smell stinging or oppressively stuffy or really heavy and sultry at the same time. Everything is well balanced. All right, it's a bit sultry in the end, but in a good, bearable way that makes the fragrance look more mature than overwhelming.

The fragrance is fresh due to the citric notes, but at the same time it has warm scents under the flowers, so it should be usable not only in warm spring, but also in cooler autumn. The purpose here is a lot, from daily use to going out, in my opinion it is always good, but perhaps not so much for younger women. Maybe some of you are bothered by one or the other fragrance (e.g. oakmoss, which doesn't seem to be very popular), but if you look over it, you get a nice and nice flower fragrance. Not really outstanding (nowadays), where you have the feeling that you want it immediately, but still beautiful enough to do at least nothing wrong with.

For me personally this scent was terrible!
He he, don't misunderstand, that's not olfactory, of course, but descriptive. Okay, I also prefer much more beautiful and sweetish floral scents (so to you women, not to myself, to make that clear!), but I also think you could try this one.

Soo... that's it again. I go now still fast the third door of my Advent calendar open, stuff the unhealthy, but tasty stuff into me and moan around that I have not fetched another one or two Advent calendars ... yes I am a child ... I know I know, but you mampft such a thing just as gladly, I know that, you can say nothing!
Well then, have a nice evening :)

Bcars10
Everyone should try it once!
Here we have a lovely, large, garden-y floral. It is fairly strong, but not over-intense, in my reckoning. I felt like I needed another dose about 3 hours in. I don't dislike it, but I also don't love it. I may seldom pick it. (It's a sample.) What is so odd to me is that the drydown reminds me of Naomi Campbell's Naomi Campbell. Must be the tonka bean.

Overall, this is definitely worthwhile to check out as one of those "from yesteryear" perfumes. It doesn't really "smell" old, but it does have a period "feel" to it. Not bad, but not really great (on me, anyway). My chemistry seems to be best suited to the cheap drugstore colognes....sigh.

Briarthorn
It's ends so beautifully, but...
I did not have the usual experience with this scent it seems, perhaps a bad reformulation?

It opened incredibly soapy with green notes. No florals. After a moment I got some lily-of-the-valley and I think Jasmine. It was very, VERY sharp. I sometimes have a problem with white florals getting sharp on me. This scent followed that pattern. It was distracting and awful.

After a few hours the sharpness faded and it became a lovely white floral. Very beautiful. almost magical. However, I just don't want to wait through a couple of hours through the sharp, painful phase to get to the loveliness of the florals.

Really big Sillage and Great longevity.

Jun
2014

15,000 flowers per ounce--in 1912...
I was pleasantly surprised by how nice Houbigant QUELQUES FLEURS is. I certainly had no doubts that once upon a time a perfume by this name smelled wonderful, but I feared the worst from Dana in some sort of disastrous reformulation. In fact, my worries were for naught. Perhaps I should have known that the splendid perfume pal who sent a bottle of QUELQUES FLEURS to me as a part of a multiswap would only send me creations which she knew that I'd want to wear!

QUELQUES FLEURS reminds me a lot of the creations of the house of Parfums de Rosine, which may have something to do with the fact that both houses thrived in the early twentieth century. Rosine apparently went bankrupt and ceased altogether to exist for decades, while Houbigant was eventually acquired by Dana. But QUELQUES FLEURS, like the recently re-launched Rosine perfumes, captures a moment of history and is both extremely feminine and a pleasure to wear.

The cheap-o spray nozzle on my bottle for some reason has a delayed effect, so that one ends up with twice the perfume on that one intended to spray, and my initial reaction upon applying this composition was that it smelled dirty. I definitely smelled the civet, no question about that. However, then the flowers arrived by the truckloads, eventually drowning out all of the animalic quality of the opening and somehow morphing into a very appealing soapiness by the drydown. This perfume is floral from start to finish but it changes from slightly indolic-skanky smelling to soapy and clean. The transformative effect of 15,000 flowers!

To put QUELQUES FLEURS in perspective, it reminds me also of Jean-Charles Brousseau L'OMBRE ROSE. Very vintage-feeling and unapologetically feminine. My bottle is of the eau de toilette, which I imagine is some specific reformulation from a specific time. In any case, it still smells good.

Vintage or nothing
There are actually over 300 floral essences in the original Quelques Fleurs, which means that Houbigant had a sense of humor when they named the fragrance "Some Fowers".

This is outdoors in the springtime, complete with the early sun barely touching the dew and warming fields and fields of flowers. Stand in the fields, down wind, face the sun and breathe deep: this is the smell of Quelques Fleurs, in the beginning.

On skin, however, this early 20th century masterpiece warms and expands, the musk and the civet play up your natural skin scent to provide the perfect anchor for oakmoss and sandalwood: The resulting scent is a deeply personal floral composition, one that will never be the same from person to person, typical of how the great classic perfumes used to be crafted.

There is a bit of woodsy greenery throughout, which allows the fragrance to retain its initial freshness throughout, carried through from top to base with a handful of subtle spices. Absolutely beautiful.
You will also find a hint of fleshy saltiness, evocative of sweaty skin, which would be the case if you'd been running through the fields of flowers on a sunny day... Or it could have more, um, private reasons for being so, the impression all about how all those notes will react on your skin.

I cannot stomach the reformulated stuff, though: it has a burnt edge to it that I find very unpleasant. If you find the vintage, don't pass up the chance to try it. Even floral haters have been seduced by this one.

by Heavenly85
by Hermessenz
by Neroli
by Neroli

Popular Houbigant

Fougère Royale (2010) (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Iris des Champs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Extrait) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Jardin Secret (Eau de Parfum Extreme) by Houbigant Orangers en Fleurs (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Cologne Intense (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Bois Mystique (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Essence Rare (2018) by Houbigant Mon Boudoir (2019) by Houbigant Chantilly (Perfume) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Raffinée (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs Royale (Extrait) by Houbigant Quelques Fleurs L'Original (Eau de Parfum Extreme) by Houbigant Lutèce (Eau de Toilette) by Houbigant Demi-Jour (Eau de Parfum) by Houbigant Duc de Vervins L'Extreme by Houbigant Iris des Champs (Extrait) by Houbigant Fougère Royale (2010) (Extrait) by Houbigant