Orca by House of Matriarch

Orca is a popular limited perfume by House of Matriarch for women and men and was released in 2015. The scent is spicy-resinous. It is still in production. Limited Edition

Christi Meshell

Clementine, Resins, Amber, Choya Nakh, Honey, Nard oil

Submitted by Estherica, last update on 21.05.2019

8.0 7.0 7.0 8.0/10

FFL
The gentle nature of a killer...
... describes this fragrance from House of Matriarch's limited "Vintage 2015" collection. The killer whale, a seal-eating predator of the oceans, does not really live up to its name with this fragrance. But is he really a killer just because whalers call him that? As the largest species of dolphins, it is very socially oriented, the mothers look after their children touchingly, and with their intelligence trained specimens perform tricks in dolphinariums. Almost friendly and gentle, this mammal seems to be...

This gentleness is also embodied in "Orca", a fragrance that recalls the depth and clarity of the oceans... Ambergris (an excretion of whales) gives the fragrance a balsamic animality. Choya Nakh, a distillate obtained from roasted mussel shells, adds smoky oceanic notes. The perfume smells like the ocean as you would imagine it if all the salt had evaporated in one fell swoop....

Honey gives the fragrance a subliminal sweetness. The Clementine probably reinforces it - but it is not perceptible to me. The fragrance is anything but citric or fruity. Resins enhance the smoky amber aroma of Choya Nakh. The oil of the Indian Nard finally complements a warm earthy aroma. As a medicinal plant from the Himalayas, this baldrian-like plant is said to have a calming effect.

According to the website, the fragrance is 100% natural, and I believe that after intensive testing - I haven't had such a smooth fragrance on my skin for a long time, which even releases some etheric when warm.

Orca is unique to me. There's no flowers in here, no woods. No oud that could sting, no jasmine that could be annoying... everything that's in here... is the pure deep ocean.

8.0 8.0 8.0 10.0/10

best by House of Matriarch
I ordered a total of 11 samples and I liked Orca best. Orca was also the first fragrance ever to remind me of a specific situation in life. The scent reminded me of the church consecration incense in my childhood.

I don't even have positive associations with the church. It used to be a must for me, which is what they did. Today I am an atheist.

That is why I believe that this association has not clouded my assessment and I find the fragrance just so hammering.

The fragrance is best for the cold seasons and rather chic dressed and for creative people who want something very special.

Coco Blanc and Devotion were my other favourites, by the way. Devotion is even more hardcore incense without the honey etc. and strangely hasn't caused this memory.

by FFL