Boss Bottled (1998) Eau de Toilette

Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss
Bottle Design: Original: Peter Schmidt, Redesign: Lutz Herrmann
Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette) (Hugo Boss)

Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette) is a perfume by Hugo Boss for men and was released in 1998. The scent is fruity-fresh. It is being marketed by Coty.

Annick Ménardo

Top Notes Top NotesApple, Bergamot, Plum, Lemon, Citruses
Heart Notes Heart NotesClove, Mahogany, Cinnamon, Geranium
Base Notes Base NotesOlive tree, Sandalwood, Vanilla, Vetiver, Cedar

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 16.02.2019

The fragrance was produced until 2016 by Procter & Gamble

Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Ups and downs
I gave this fragrance to my boyfriend 12 years ago.
(That was before I knew Parfumo). He was modern fresh and spicy masculine. Not pushy, long lasting and very important for me and my skinny purse, affordable.
And of course I knew that 3/4 of all men sprayed this scent on their necks. But it was wonderful Wurstegal for me. I liked to smell him on my husband. I could have sworn I could smell him among a thousand others.
And you know what? I'm still very fond of him. Even though my husband now wears other fragrances (thanks to parfumo), I still recognize the Boss Bottled immediately.

Fragrance:
It begins citrically fresh with slightly bitter sweetness. Please don't ask me what that is exactly. It's citrically bitterly sweet! Afterwards the smell changes quite fast, becomes warmly cinnamony and tingles fine in the nose.
a little later it becomes fruity, sweet and fresh and stays that way.
Yeah, you can only smell him on his neck. And yes, he's not changing much. Yes, he's mainstream. Yeah, he seems boring. BUT! I associate it with the best experiences ever.
The first contraction.
The cat who jumped into the bathtub while I was sitting in it.
Countless romantic evenings on rickety chairs sat around a bum barrel and talked forever.
The marriage proposal
Cried, laughed, argued and reconciled. All that this scent went through, too, and hey. It is what it is. Mainstream for most. A stage in my life.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
"Bottled", the James Bond among the classics
As a young, aspiring adult in my mid-twenties, I was looking for a masculine, discreet and feminine scent to accompany me through everyday life.
Well, I found it, it's the Boss Bottled.
I don't need to say much about the bottle, it's simply great. Combined with the appealing name ''Bottled'', the bottle's design reflects a handy and elegant shape that you like to hold and operate in your hand.
However the ''Bottled'' weakens beside the Sillage also at the durability very much in relation to other smells in its price segment.
The weak ''fragrance cloud'' I refer to the rather shy fragrance of this brand, because it is anything but dominant. It begins with an intense freshness, settles after a few minutes and begins to transform into an elegant, attractive and often women's ''tasty'' fragrance.
Since the ingredients have no concise properties, the shelf life is correspondingly cloudy. After just three hours, most of the fragrance's power is used up and you could spray it again to get the perfume's attention again.

Finally I praise the ''Bottled'' in the whole very much, since it gave me so far only positive compliments of women, it can be carried at each situation & at each season and the smell gives me again and again self-confidence and a smile, if I apply this perfume to me.
And its weak points with the Sillage and durability I forgive my ''Bottled'' again and again gladly.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
If I could save time in a bottle..
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
'Til Boss Bottled passes away
Just to spend this parfum with you
If I could make this scent last forever
If Hugo Boss could make wishes come true
I'd save every spray like a treasure and then,
Again, I would spend this parfum with you.

Boss Bottled - a faithful companion who always stays in the background but is not intrusive. He hugs you on days when everything else doesn't fit into life.
Timeless does not seem exaggerated with this fragrance.
He is not outstanding in his performance which is more due to the fact that he was castrated in the last years and therefore probably got an edP version. One must somehow counteract the price decline, there an edP fits nevertheless splendidly around such a beautiful smell to destroy in its durability and Sillage.
For me it still remains one of the best fragrances that always fit when everything else fails
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Watch out!
I used to have the scent more often, because I like it quite well.
It's a very pleasant fragrance that doesn't bother anyone (except every second person wears it, which is quite within the realm of possibility...) and that doesn't have anything particularly prominent or pungent about it.
However, in my opinion, caution is called for! Therefore a tip from me: Use up fast!!
I had a total of 3 vials. And with everyone the same happened: it tilted very fast (and I don't mean "toppling over" here)!
The first one I thought to myself: okay - maybe wrong!? Thereupon the 2nd bottle fetched and also here: after approx. 6 months "tilted". I gave myself one more try and stored everything perfectly. But even then after 6 - 9 months: another "tilting"!!!
What's going on?
I have a suspicion: even if it is not mentioned anywhere; I think there is also caraway with it!
I think you can smell it pretty strong too.
And after some time the caraway smell becomes stronger and stronger, so that you can't use the scent anymore - at least not I! The caraway becomes so penetrating and brutal that the rest is completely covered.
And for this reason he doesn't come into my house anymore - unfortunately!

Author's opinion:
Apparently caraway in a perfume is only relatively short "durable"!?
Because the same thing happens to me again and again with New West from ARAMIS.
And there's caraway in there...
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 9.0/10 Longevity 9.0/10 Scent 10.0/10
Less helpful Review
Spot landing, but expensive
The scent is exactly mine! But in view of the much cheaper alternative, far too expensive. Of course, this will also be reflected somewhere in the quality. Maybe it's a small, fine nouance that's different, or the dupe won't last that long. But for me the output is not necessary.
Still a bummer, for those who can afford it and want it.
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 8.0/10 Scent 8.5/10
"Man of Today" - fantastic all rounder
I have the "Man of Today" edition, but Parfumo won't allow reviews on that page.

I love Boss Bottled from the first time I tried it, it's a classic, pleasant and masculine scent which in my opinion deserves to be as successful as it is. The apple, plum, cinnamon, vanilla and sandalwood combine to make something truly amazing and very versatile. I've used this fragrance at work, suited up, casual dress and only avoided wearing this fragrance during the hotter months.

Fantastic work from Annick Ménardo
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
A faithful companion, through ups and downs - A greeting to BOSS Bottled
It is Monday, with tired eyes I get out of bed, the first coffee and the cool shower at least help my circulation to get going. Mentally, I'm going through the appointments that await me this week. The mood fluctuates between "please don't address" and "why is the weekend so damn fast over? Suit on, a matching tie overturned, the belt also sat better once. "Have I promised my boyfriend I'll stop by after work this week? I should definitely call the insurance company and talk about the last premium increase. While many thoughts shoot into my head at the same time and my brain slowly comes to operating temperature, I mechanically clatter off the morning care routine. The hair is quickly styled and a thin cream is applied. A look in the mirror, looks okay, the long Saturday evening and the even longer days in the office I can't deny today. My face is an open book that paints jaws, I quickly exhort myself to relax. One last reach into the mirror cabinet. My hand embraces the bottle I have grown fond of, the round glass feels familiar, the slight coolness emanating from the material paradoxically gives me a warm and pleasant feeling. I take the upright written lettering was conscious and spray. Once. A second time. Instinctively, I think back to the successful conclusion of the contract in the last quarter. To the compliment I received from my new colleague in the elevator. I'd look as light-hearted as I'd ever do. What about my suits, would they be tailor-made? Of course they're not, but hey. My thoughts wander even further into the past. My final exam. What was I nervous about beforehand. Hours of preparation just to be there at the crucial moment. My first date with my girlfriend? The thoughts I've been thinking about which scent best embodies me. What do I want to stand for? The new Dior Sauvage? To be wild and rebellious, like Johnny Depp? JPG Le Male? She certainly knows how to walk a thousand times along the eye-catching men's silhouette in the fragrance shelf. But would I like to smell like my father? Do I need Role Models to find the right fragrance for me? Do I need the commercials to tell me what I want to smell like? What was I supposed to smell like? In my position, in my age, in my skin?

No. A constant companion for many, many years (oh there it is again, the age, the time that runs mercilessly) who has accompanied me in all these moments. Even in bad times, hard times, failures. They're part of it. Good and bad experiences make us who we are. And they make me feel comfortable with my fragrance companion in every situation. Not because it says BOSS. Not because the bottle stands out from the crowd. Not because the advertising is loudest or the campaign faces are most desirable. Simply because the scent completely convinces me with its versatility, its warmth, its smell of apple strudel. And that for years.

I arrived in the day, in the week. I pull up the corners of my mouth and am ready for the challenges that await me. I feel good! I feel good!
Bottle 9.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 9.0/10
I like him!
As mentioned in Boss Bottled Intense EDP (I think), I've known Boss Bottled for some time and I'd lie if I said/wrote that I didn't like the fragrance.

When I first smelled the fragrance, I liked it pretty much right away. This mixture of apple, lemon, cinnamon, vanilla, plum, woody etc. smells for me personally simply extremely "delicious", if one may write "delicious"? But above all vanilla, which gives the fragrance something "soft" and "soft", I like very much. In my opinion Boss Bottled and Boss Bottled Intense EDP are the best perfumes from Hugo Boss, at least they like ME the best of all other Hugo Boss fragrances. In addition, I find that the fragrance also smells quite high-quality, pleasant and timeless and can be worn by every age group and even by women. Boss Bottled is also perfect for all seasons, times of day and occasions, no matter if job, going out, leisure or the like, because it simply smells soft and not too sweet/strong and has that touch of apple strudel. In my opinion, Boss Bottled goes ALWAYS! A 1 million or Stronger with You on the other hand, I wouldn't personally recommend on all occasions, especially when it comes to job/business.

Yes, I know, the scent is meanwhile already 20 years old, very popular, a bestseller, reformulated a thousand times and for one or the other also absolutely nothing special more but nevertheless I must honestly admit that I like the scent or one could almost call it love!

Boss Bottled is and will remain a true legend, as evidenced by the sales figure of more than 60 million.

What I and others would certainly be very happy about would be if Boss would give the good old classic more scented oil instead of alcohol and water, so that the scent lasts a little longer. Yes, there is the Intense version but the ingredients are a little different, not bad but still different. The whole thing could be called Boss Bottled Eau de Parfum (the normal Boss Bottled with a higher percentage of fragrance oil than EDT).

I can't understand why so many people always get upset or make fun of Boss Bottled. Surely the fragrance has no extreme sillage and maybe it doesn't last for days and some people are fed up with the smell, especially if you had to smell it every day for years, but that doesn't make it bad. A baker in a bakery certainly has his nose full of the smell of bread at some point, but that's why the bread itself is not bad.

This here reflects my own personal opinion about this fragrance. Everyone has different preferences and feels smells, for different reasons, differently and therefore may have a completely different opinion - and that's good.

A small remark: Those who really love a fragrance should stay true to it, no matter how popular or unpopular, mainstream or not and above all no matter what other people think about you! You should look ahead, enjoy life and not let yourself be ruined by nonsensical things and opinions.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 6.0/10 Scent 6.0/10
Hamburg, 8:30. Rain again. Perfect hold. Stopover Munich. It's pretty windy. Perfect fit. Flight on to Rome. The sun is burning. Perfect protection.
At the end of the last century, a well-known cosmetics manufacturer advertised its allegedly indestructible hair setting lotion. The indestructibility was illustrated by a tough career woman who - of course in a small private machine - is confronted with various weather conditions on the described route, and who nevertheless emerges from the machine at her destination without noticeable traces of decay. In fact, I remember that it was a very average product (which is still available today).

Originating at the end of the last century and still available to buy, Boss Bottled, who once established the note 'apple' for men's perfumes - which you can easily find or not. First advertised by the Swedish model Alex Lundqvist - who was later succeeded by Gerard Butler, Chris Hemsworth, Ryan Reynolds and Mats Hummels among others - he sells something similar to Schwarzkopf's supposedly unbreakable firming agent: self-confidence. Sophistication. Urbanity. The width compatibility of both products is also similar.

Boss Bottled is one of those undaunted evergreens of the 90s that has survived the twenty years since almost unscathed. This deserves recognition - whether it's due to the perfume itself or the timing (and annual rejuvenation) of his marketing campaign, there may be some arguing about it. Yet it is of seemingly timeless favor - characteristic top note fruit grafted onto a contemporary interpreted (from the perspective of the late 90s) fougère-like base that no one can actually dislike.

Conclusion: even though hairstyles in the 90s were fixed with quite different amounts of hairspray, I'm sure that the blonde-waved lady from the Three Weathers Taffeta commercial would have been quite tousled 'in real' when she got off the train in Rome. And Boss Bottled would be no longer smelled there at the latest. Nevertheless, classics are both.
Bottle 7.0/10 Sillage 7.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.0/10
All Around Player
To this date the best cologne from Boss. A real classic. A very successful and pleasant mix of apple, cinnamon, vanilla... Very versatile... job, free time, fall, spring, winter. It really somehow reminds me of cold and foggy mornings of the continental cities. Mornings that have that special brisk smell.
A great work by Annick Menardo. Level hard to achieve once again in Boss. Even niche company like Brecourt copied Bottled in Esprit Mondain.

Rating: 7/10
Bottle 8.0/10 Sillage 6.0/10 Longevity 7.0/10 Scent 7.5/10
Old faithful versatile partner
This is a real reliable fragrance. It's versatility converts it in a must for every perfume user. Well, at least it's a must for those who praise versatility or like to travel lite. Don't count with an expressive longevity or sillage because you just won't get it.
Its fresh opening (citrus and apple) do connect well with a dominating cinnamon in the heart notes and the vanilla rulling in the bottom notes. A bit gourmand but manly, as the mentioned sweet notes are always paired by very nice quality woodsy notes - mainly mahogany, sandalwood and cedar.
It does not smell cheap, it's not cloying, you can use it in the gym, and it's even good for dates if you are (or your date is) a conservative person. You will never be let down by this trustworthy buddy and in any type of situation. It will not attract other people attention but probably with a versatile king you just want to smell clean and fresh in many situations like the in office, in a plane, in a theather, watching a soccer game, entertaining your mother in law and so on.
You may use with any kind of weather as well, although it's not a shining star in terms of performance. Boss Bottled will not disapoint you in any circinstance. Well, as people use to say, if you are good at everything you cannot be the best at anything. Boss Bottled is a king of versatility and a mere minor prince in everything else. In what regards performance it's just a commoner.
I do like it, although it's not in my closet front row. In my opinion, and inside the Boss product line, it's only second to Boss Number One (a real number one since more that 30 years ago) and its flankers Boss Bottled Oud and Boss Bottled Intense. The Intense flanker and the recently released Eau de Parfum, are better buys.

My rates for Boss Bottled EDT:
Scent (opening): 7.0 (preety common)
Scent (dry down): 8.0 (more pleasant than opening stage)
Longevity: 7.0 (average)
Sillage: 6.0 (average sillage - one arm lenght - and poor projection at the sillage peak - one hour)
Uniqueness: 7.0 (there are similar and less expensive fragrances on the market like Scuderia Ferrari - Black)
Wearability: 10.0 (any season, any age, day or night)
Versatility: 10.0 (perfect for the office but very good everywhere else as well)
Quality: 8.0 (Hugo Boss knows how to design fragrances with better performance and more appealing combination of notes (but probably with less sales due to a lesser versatility. The only Boss Bottle flankers that made a shift in a more promising direction are B.B.Oud and B.B.Unlimited. B.B. Intense is just.... more intense and a bit more expensive.)
Compliments: 7.0 (A clean fresh and pleasant aroma, but not enough to convince the people around you to follow you with the eyes or to greet you. You will not disturb anybody.)
Presentation: 8.0 (simple bottle but very elegant and effective. Good sprayer!)
Price: 7.0 (You may buy similar scents of known designers, for a lesser price. I paid 45 Euros + taxes for my 200 ml tester and it's going to take a century for me to finish it. I should have bought an 100 ml tester Intense EDP.)

Overall rating: 7.73/10.0
between 7 and 8 => above average;
between 8 and 9 => recommended;
equal or bigger than 9 => don't miss it;

Opinion on "Boss Bottled EDT":
If sillage and projection were good this fragrance would be a smahing hit. Probably that's why Hugo Boss released an Intense EDT and EDP versions. Nevertheless it become confusing for buyers as the three bottles are identical and all the juices have almost the same colour.
Blind buy worthy? Yes if the price is Ok and you just want versatility out of the fragrance. If you are sure that it's Boss Bottled you like, and you may use it for dates or want to attract people's attention, you'd better buy the Intense EDP version.

Music: Carly Simon - "Coming Around Again"
Bottle 7.5/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 5.0/10 Scent 5.0/10
Best Boss
Sweet apple with cinnamon, in my opinon that's the best Hugo Boss release.

Very unique when released.

This is the inspiration of Ferrari Black.

It's soft but noticeable, suitable for all seasons.

Lasting power, sillage and projection are average. Worth it.

Updated January 2014
Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 7.5/10 Scent 7.0/10
Universally likable
Boss Bottled is quite often mentioned in forums as being an extremely sexy fragrance for men and adored by many women.

Of course I was very eager to try it. Boss Bottled is an extremely pleasant and likable fragrance. Even the sales assistant was quick to agree and state that this fragrance was by far her favourite men's cologne.

I won't go so far as to say it's my favourite, however I do like it, very much.

Although it is primarily spicy, citrusy and a little sweet, Boss Bottled smells very refreshing and clean to my nose. The scent is masculine, however I wouldn't rule out the possibility of a woman wearing this fragrance.

Although the notes listed as part of the composition look promisingly unique, I can't say that it's very different from anything else. Overall, Boss Bottled is a pleasantly wearable fragrance with only a subtle hint of sexiness.

The lasting strength is quite good, the sillage being rather intimate and inoffensive. Personally I enjoy this fragrance from afar and up close. The spicy-woodsy quality is truly enchanting in a sense and the muskiness of the drydown makes this fragrance quite natural smelling. In my opinion, this fragrance should be an essential part of any man's fragrance wardrobe. It's a great go-to scent.
Bottle 5.0/10 Sillage 5.0/10 Longevity 10.0/10 Scent 8.0/10
Boss Bottled – The Minute Man
I regard Boss Bottled as the "minute man" of fragrances, totally planned and trimmed to success. Because of this it is a fragrance, which successful men (or wannebees) like to use. To my opinion, it is THE office fragrance, quite pleasant and refreshing. The intensity is exactly to the point, enough to be recognized but not too much to be regarded as intrusive.
Bottled starts with a nice and in this combination rather unique fruity note and contains an inspiring apple note as the "trademark", which is wrapped into some citrus notes. I cannot really discern the citrus notes, but there is also at least a note of geranium as well as some prune. After some minutes, the prune appears to get stronger.
Later the fruitiness gets support by some more woody notes and cinnamon.
The basenote is smooth and sweet with woody notes and vanilla and reminds only remotely of fruits and apples.
On my skin Bottled lasts in this sequence for a complete office day.
As I am spending a lot of time at the office, I like to wear it to this purpose but almost never on other occasions.

Carlitos01 11 months ago
Fruity, fresh, moderatly sweet, spicy and woody! You will never be let down by this trustworthy buddy and in any type of situation.+2
Bottle 8.0
Sillage 6.0
Longevity 7.0
Scent 7.5
Fellini 17 months ago
I tested this fragrance in cold autumn. Sweet and warm scent, but geranium bothers me.

by Sunshine00
by Loopy38
by Thecombad
by Thecombad

Popular Hugo Boss

Boss Bottled (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Hugo (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Hugo Deep Red by Hugo Boss Boss Orange Man (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss The Scent (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Number One / Boss (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Orange (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Bottled Night (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss in Motion (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Nuit pour Femme by Hugo Boss Boss Ma Vie pour Femme by Hugo Boss Hugo Just Different (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss The Scent for Her (Eau de Parfum) by Hugo Boss Femme by Hugo Boss Hugo Dark Blue (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Hugo Woman (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Soul (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss Boss Jour pour Femme by Hugo Boss Boss Woman by Hugo Boss Hugo Red (Eau de Toilette) by Hugo Boss