Bull's Blood (2012)

Bull's Blood by Imaginary Authors

Bull's Blood is a perfume by Imaginary Authors for women and men and was released in 2012. The scent is animal-earthy. It is still in production.

Perfumer & Creative Guidance

Josh Meyer (Marken-Inhaber)

Costus root, Patchouli, Rose, Black musk, Bull's blood, Tobacco

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 14.12.2018

2.0/10

PBullFriend
Circus came to my house, and I chased it away!
Absolute, pure dung to my nose. I spent endless hours at a stable when I was a child, just to be around horses even when I couldn't afford one myself. So there is a bit of nostalgia here. But even then I did not go to the stable just to stand by the manure pile.

Dogs do have better senses of smell than we do, so I took this one to the experts. My beloved pit bull, who was rescued from the muck of Hurricane Katrina and probably ate rats to survive, was too refined for this one. I held my wrist out to him, and he sniffed lightly, then showed the whites of his eyes and backed away. My shepherd girl, who is, alas, a coprophage, moved closer to me and started to lick my wrist. So, there you have it! The most positive review so far comes from a shit-eater!

After nearly a half-hour, I found that this scent was entirely occupying my thoughts. I couldn't get any work done because I couldn't escape the thought, "I smell like a manure pile!" I scrubbed my wrist, hard, with a scented salt scrub, changed clothes, and it came right back at me. I killed it off with a generous spray of Kokorico, figuring its dense patchouli could penetrate the shitpile forcefield, and it did.

I bought this sample from Silverfire. So, now this sample has been through two people and is still more than half-full! This reminds me of the 1 ml sample of ELDO Secretions Magnifique I bought some years ago. I think that it was ultimately split five ways. As the Brylcreem ads used to say, "A little dab'll do ya!"
7.5 7.5 6.0/10

Coutureguru
The day that the circus left town ...
It seems that circuses and bullfights have the same thing in common ... THEY STINK! I applied this fragrance with some trepidation having read its rather macho/violent back story on the Imaginary Authors website ... I was hoping that it might be saved by the Rose and Patchouli.

I was wrong. Firstly, this fragrance immediately took my nose back to being an excited kid ... the circus used to set up in an open area not a kilometer from my house. Oh the excitement!! ... and the smell! Sawdust, hay and animals is what I immediately get on application of this fragrance. It actually reminds me of some virulent Ouds that I have encountered ... the kind I call 'barnyard-y'. It's mothball-y too ... quite unpleasant (I tip my cap at you Silverfire, you are spot on!) but thankfully this eases up after the first 10 minutes or so.
Bull's Blood turns a little creamy after that ... but weirdly so, like milk spilled on hot sand. A simpering little Rose tries to peep out at this stage but is thoroughly trampled by a heavy, root-like note which I assume is Costus, having never encountered it before. This wet, earthy smell is no doubt further exacerbated by a very raw Patchouli and what feels like wet, green Tobacco. I'm not sure what all of this has to do with Bulls, except for the fact that a 'cow-pat' effect comes through every now and then ... like a churned up field, or stables in serious need of mucking out. I have absolutely no idea why anyone would want to smell like this.
That said, I am also not denouncing this fragrance as rubbish, because it isn't. There is a very clear and well thought out development here ... I'm just not interested in going in the direction it suggests. Bull's Blood is for the adventuresome ... it reminds me a little of some of the more bizarre releases by Etat Libre d'Orange.

Sillage and longevity are both above average ... I'm afraid I'm going to have to scrub. High marks for bringing something different to the table Mr.Meyer ... unfortunately it may be a little too different. It certainly is for me.
5.0 7.5 2.0/10

Mr. Mothballs with a Urinal Puck in the Lounge
Bull's Blood goes on smelling like a low-class air freshener, the kind that you might find in a ghetto sled. (No, you can’t ask how I know that.) Within a few seconds, the unforgettable combination of mothballs and mint arrives. Actually, it’s mostly mothballs. The mint exists only as a mothball propellant, giving the scent a visceral punch. That’s the first ten-fifteen minutes.

Then the mint becomes menthol and amps up the mothball vibe, generating a sour smell like cleaning agent gone wrong. I’ve smelled something like it while shopping in a bargain grocery store once. By this time, I can imagine what Bull's Blood was supposed to be, which is a creamy, animalic, sweaty-fresh kind of deal, but it got lost along the way.

By two point five hours, it smells fresh and animalic, and it reminds me of urinal mints, rather distantly. This is a smell I could handle, but it’s not really gripping as an animalic nor really interesting or involving as something fresh. Three hours in, benzoin and a sweaty aroma join the party.

By hour six, it finally smells good – an animalic, spicy aroma, faintly urinal, sweet and musky. In this stage, it’s reminiscent of Cuir de’ Ottoman, however the silage is skin only, so it doesn’t have the lounge lizard vibe that cologne can give off. It’s more like you’re a lounge lizard on line, or only at home. By hour eight, Bull's Blood has begun its long kiss goodnight of a citrusy, urinal musk. Strangely enough, this is the best-smelling stage.

This is one for only thrill-seeking olfactionists. I can't imagine where or when you'd wear this, unless you have a little lounge lizard in you.