Cape Heartache 2013

Cape Heartache by Imaginary Authors
Cape Heartache is a perfume by Imaginary Authors for women and men and was released in 2013. The scent is fruity-woody. The longevity is above-average. It is still in production.

Josh Meyer

Mist note, Douglas fir, Strawberry, Hemlock fir, Pine resin, Forest accord, Vanilla leaf

Submitted by Franfan20, last update on 29.11.2020.

Autumn bliss
Time for my favorite autumn fragrance to poke its head out. Cape Heartache is a beautiful fragrance that blends pine, fir, and strawberries to create the perfect isolated forest sanctuary most people dream of visiting some day. While it took me a bit to warm up to A City On Fire, this fragrance tickled my fancy immediately. Opening up with a strong blast of fir and pine needles, you’re immediately transported to a conifer woods. Shortly after that opening, strawberry enters the fray to sweeten up the experience before they balance out together with some woody notes to create a smooth blend that makes you feel like you’ve just woken up in a freshly oiled log cabin. The needle notes preventing the strawberry from becoming too cloying and sweet. There’s apparently a vanilla note present as well but strangely enough I don’t really pick it up at all. I would say that in my collection right now that this is the ying to Silver Mountain Water’s yang. I say this because while they both remind me of the experience of being deep in a forest, Cape Heartache is more like just walking through that forest while Silver Mountain Water would be like walking next to a river that passes through it. They still both accomplish their goals as fragrances, but to me I just get a similar vibe from the both of them even though they aren’t similar in scent or composition in the slightest. This fragrance really comes alive in the cold weather and I give it a hearty recommendation, but still try before you buy.
Angelina1958
The magic of the forest on a summer evening....
Woody warmth, birds chirping, owls calling, squirrels cheekily jumping around - the air is still warm and the soft and sweet scent of wild strawberries sparkles out between all the green and earthy.
I am in the forest of the hermitage "Frauenbründl" which is also listed in the list of magical places in Germany and I am happy that I only have to drive a few kilometers to dive into this beautiful other world.
The tall old trees murmur softly in the light evening breeze. The warm fullness of the day fades, the green of the forest and the scent of the earth accompany the wild flowers and bushes, the elderberry bushes and the tendrils of the berries gently into the evening magic of silence.
The branches and leaves rustle softly and sway in the wind, the yellow walls of the hermitage shine through the green and here you can feel life and also the transience.
My soul is light and free and the toils of the day and the sorrows of the past fade away in the soft green of dusk. Tender haze rises from the small meadows in the forest and I feel this very special atmosphere, this magic that is only here for me.
The smell of old wood, incense and candles comes from the mostly open door of the ancient chapel.
It is enchanting here in spring, summer and autumn - but even in winter the atmosphere and fragrances are incomparable. Many birds live here, you can see lizards and sometimes the hermit's old white cat.
I associate all this with the fragrance "Cape Heartache", where I knew after the first spray that I could now have "my" magical forest in Frauenbründl with me anytime and anywhere...
This fragrance gives me warmth, peace and quiet in the times when I cannot be in this beautiful forest...
Of the few forest scents I know, only this one has touched my soul. The combination with the sweet wild strawberry as a shining spot in the woody green is simply wonderful and I can't smell anything chemical in it - for me this fragrance is pure nature...
Sweet strawberry youth
Philip Sava was just 14 years old when he was hired as cartographer by Joseph Hutchins Colton. The first trip went to Hobsonville, Oregon. At that time it was just a few makeshift houses and Indian tents between a dense forest and a bay. Hobsonville was home to a lot of Tillamook Indians in those days. They worked in the local lumber mill. Later there were other businesses, but in 1881 there was not so much going on in Hobsonville. Sava found it exciting to live in a tent. He was a teenager, even though he felt like a man. So it happened that he fell in love with one of the Tillamook girls. An impossible love. He was too young, she was too young. They both belonged to different social classes and cultures. He was only allowed to stay in Hobsonville for a short time until the project was completed. Despite the difficulties, it was the most wonderful time in his life. It was like a dream of pine resin in dark green forests and in between sweet wild strawberries, as sweet and as colored as the mouth of his Tillamook lovers.

He had asked the other Tillamook about their customs and so one day Sava was waiting on the stump of a freshly felled pine tree in a clearing where many wild strawberries grew. As his sweetheart stepped through the trees to pick wild strawberries, he sang a traditional courting song that the Tillamook men sang to their beloved. He had largely invented the words of the song because he did not speak their language. Since he sang so beautifully, the girl could no longer resist him. They sat down together on the tree stump. He put wild strawberries in his sweetheart's mouth and whispered love vows into her ear.

Only a few days later Sava had to return to New York. He never knew what happened to his beloved. He still thought about her often and sometimes, when he was mapping a forest, he would sing her song. Then he didn't care what the others thought about him.

Hobsonville is now a ghost town. In 1930, some older Tillamook women still lived there. One was certainly Sava's sweetheart. She waited for him but he never came back. Sava died, as we know, in 1923.

Cape Heartache is dominated by the scent of sweet strawberries. At the same time the scent of pine resin is very present. These are actually opposites. Cape Heartache smells dark green and red. But I think the contrasts go together quite well in this fragrance.

People can wear this fragrance almost all year round. In midsummer, it'll probably be too intense. The projection is neat. Outdoors the scent blows noticeably around you (7). I can't talk about the durability in hours but the scent lasts quite well. Nowadays you should be well over 14 years old when you wear this fragrance.

If you have a heart condition, you can sweeten it with this fragrance. If you long for the woods, you can roll around in the pine resin of this fragrance. Maybe when using Cape Heartache, you may also sing strange songs in foreign tongues, which is probably due to hormones
"Is it the fog?"
Douglas fir, pine resin, hemlock, vanilla leaf, strawberry, jungle, mountain fog - in the beginning.

First: "I have no idea what that smells like - is that the fog? Like a sweet mist." Later, realistic boiled strawberries, syrupy fruits.

The wife comes in and says, "Oh, too flowery!" I explain to her that there aren't even flowers in it, but there they are. Dry-down is mossy/woody, maybe a little pine-like.

I thought that was really nice, but I will wait a while before I try again.
3.5
No. 164 of the "I don't understand the hype" fragrances
The fairies in the forest whispered in my ear that this was one of THE autumn scents.
"Wonderful! Best thing you can spray on yourself in the fall. Try this one," said a good friend of mine.
Many a Youtuber, or the "influencers" known since 2018, literally get into orgasmic ecstasy when one pronounces the name "Cape Heartache" in the beginning.
"Absolutely gorgeous!"
"The best Fall scent out there!"
"This is the second bottle I've gone through."

Well, wait, wait Burli, I thought to myself, now pack your enthusiasm horses, which are stretched before the Hypetrain, immediately again. "Memoirs of a Trespasser" was a disappointment in itself. Skepticism was now the order of the day.
On the other hand, Robin Williams (may this genius rest in peace) meant 30 years ago - Carpe Diem. So what can go wrong?

Well. Many things, it seems to me.

If you spray on your colleagues, the promised strawberry note will immediately clap your face. But that's not a "Oh, I harvested my own strawberry plant - see how good the smell" strawberry note, but rather the "I just bought myself a bulk pack of cream strawberry candies for 0.80 euros" synthetic strawberry note The second major element of the fragrance is the imitation of a coniferous forest. This one is very well done and the real highlight here. Green, autumnal, a mixture of freshly crushed needles with a hint of forest soil.

But it becomes really problematic when these two components meet, because then it results in a cough syrup-esque structure. I once had an antibiotic when I was a kid that smelled the same. But when the wind blows from another direction and aerates the other nostril, it smells like bad strawberry yoghurt. This is the variety which is extended with wood chips and which contains the "real" strawberry pieces.

All in all, disappointment No. 2 is out of the house.
If you had put this strawberry boil back by 50% and concentrated more on the coniferous forest, yes, you would have created a wonderful creation. But like this? No, I'm good. Pfiat di and baba.

Tl;dr: Synthetic strawberry note as in strawberry sweets + cough syrup + bad strawberry yoghurt + a really good coniferous forest scent.
Kafumi
A really beautiful forest scent
I smelled "Enchanted Forest" by Vagabond Prince and this fragrance in comparison today and had to say that although I liked the former much better in the long run, I had to admit that the picture of a forest was only taken at Cape Heartache. The sticky sweetness of the perfume is what spoils my pleasure in the long run (just as too much candy makes me sick after a while).
At the beginning you get a large portion of fir forest, herbs and resin, a light freshness. I really feel like I'm breathing in the essence of a fresh breeze blowing out of a coniferous forest. Above all this a fruity-sweet strawberry floats big and loud, which fades into the background after a short time and makes room for the forest.
Then the needle character remains dominant for quite a while until the strawberry returns after 2-3 hours, but this time not fresh, but rather like jam. And it'll stick forever... That's where it ends with me. After the promising start, the fragrance gets something annoying and after 4-5 hours I don't like to smell it anymore, because it gets too sweet, too much.
Cape Heartache is a fragrance for me that I would like to spray on paper once in a while so that I can enjoy the first half hour. What happens after that has no place on my skin. But because I like the beginning so much, I can't give it less than 6 points.

Balsamic, juicy,strawberry delight!
Sweet juicy strawberry entwined with the balasam of fir and pine meet hemlock and vanilla but not sickly so. Cedar creeps in giving it a woody base. It's very moreish, sweet but not toothachingly so. Dont overspray, longevity is excellent and silage is decent too.

Paul Bunyan loves Strawberry Shortcake
Philip Sava's second novel "Cape Heartache", as well, is even better than the first book "Memoirs of a Trespasser" in my opinion. Although both works here are well done, "Cape Heartache" is the more fascinating one for me because I absolutely don't love woody notes and everything too much resinous. But in this fragrance comes the resinous wood notes and a fruity strawberry note form a pleasant synergy. At first, it is still a bit too harsh for me, very green and resinous. As if you stand directly in a coniferous forest. But the fruity counterpart makes the scent much more pleasant and sweet. It compliments the woods well and I have never smelled woods in this kind of combination deliberately, so I'm pleasantly surprised that even I enjoy a woody fragrance this time around. The fruitiness gives the fragrance a pleasant warmth and makes it a bit brighter than the rather dark "Memoirs of a Trespasser".
The theme of the novel is again a love story. Sava's novels are based on his own travels and deals with his relationship to an Indian tribe woman with whom he lived for some time in a self-built log cabin in the woods to find new inspiration, separated from his common environment. You can also see it as a kind of therapy because his family probably did not agree with the relationship and so he was looking for a quiet retreat. He was also feeling very well, but when the love broke up, he was so deeply affected that he left behind a part of his heart in that cabin in the woods.

For me, "Cape Heartache" symbolizes the life of a woodcutter in the forest with the green scent of resinous trees. Due to the scenario I had to think of the American lumberjack legend Paul Bunyan, the symbol of the profession with a plaid shirt and dungarees, so to speak. In the summer he worked permanently in the forest to procure enough wood for the winter. And the strawberry shortcakes, which Paul ate with pleasure and shared with his ox, were brought to him by his lover almost every day into the forest, while she waited patiently for his return to spend the winter months with him together again.

LicoriceRain
Strawberries and pine, nothing special
Basically, as others have said, Cape Heartache is a simple fragrance of strawberries and pine. I think it might have been nicer with a little nutmeg, or something, added, to give it more of a base. But as it is, I must admit there’s nothing really bad about it, but it’s not anything special, either. Ironically, there’s nothing “heartache” about it because it seems like a happy scent to me. But I still feel like I’m wearing a paper pine tree air freshener (with strawberries), but, so far, no complaints from anybody around me. Cape Heartache leans more towards feminine than masculine.

BertolucciKBertolucciK 1 month ago
Very peculiar scent. Green (a nice balsamic fir and pine), fruity (strawberry) and smoky. Quite addictive.
KimJongKimJong 4 months ago
Perhaps the best work of Imaginary Authors. Could it be called balsamic berry? Very original and amusing.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 4 months ago
A slightly smoky, yet intense sweet fruity-woody fragrance, balanced by a gentle earthy-resinous base. Strawberry and fir; more feminine.
SamuelGustavSamuelGustav 4 months ago
Gorgeous blend of oak, pine, bit smoky and a touch of wild strawberries, the latest it's there to give a fruity backbone to the blend
CumhranfearCumhranfear 1 year ago
Beautiful sweet peat smoke in winter! No, turns out it's fir and strawberry. Still, squint with your nose and you're in the west of Ireland.
ItchynoseItchynose 2 years ago
Strawberries and mountain fog in a coniferous forest. Smokey, fruity, woody and sweet, a pleasantly artistic perfume.

Heartache dock
by Floyd
by Venomrock101
by Venomrock101

Popular Imaginary Authors

Memoirs Of A Trespasser by Imaginary Authors Saint Julep by Imaginary Authors Yesterday Haze by Imaginary Authors The Cobra & The Canary by Imaginary Authors Slow Explosions by Imaginary Authors Every Storm A Serenade by Imaginary Authors O, Unknown! by Imaginary Authors A City On Fire by Imaginary Authors The Soft Lawn by Imaginary Authors Sundrunk by Imaginary Authors Whispered Myths by Imaginary Authors Mosaic by Imaginary Authors Telegrama by Imaginary Authors Falling Into The Sea by Imaginary Authors Violet Disguise by Imaginary Authors Bull's Blood by Imaginary Authors An Air Of Despair by Imaginary Authors L'Orchidée Terrible by Imaginary Authors