Oud for Greatness 2018

Oud for Greatness by Initio
Top 60 in Unisex Perfume
Oud for Greatness is a popular perfume by Initio for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still in production. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Baccarat Rouge 540 (Extrait de Parfum)

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Saffron, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Musk

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 26.11.2020.

wealthy devil takes time
Where do you start?
It all began when I entered a small but very well sorted niche perfumery in Florence, run by an elderly couple. Well, maybe you know this when you're in a perfumery and you immediately notice bottles that you've never seen before. It always makes you curious. But at this perfumery, everything except Creed, MFK and Amouage was foreign to me. Everything.
Where to start and where to stop sniffing around? I was into oud scents at the time (and as far as oud scents are concerned, I was quite green behind the ears), so it was to be this direction. The saleswoman sprayed 4 pieces on my wrist and back. MFK Oud -mow too medical / MFK Oud Silk Mood -rose, no thanks / Blend Oud's Gold Oud -joa, for sure in 30 years again / 2 splashes from a bottle that is not far from a satanic cult pattern -mhh has something, but no bull's eye. But later on, there's something special about this last fragrance; why does it smell so different after 8 hours than it did at the beginning, and yet with an intensity that some people don't like in the top note. Something reminds me now of freshly made popcorn, that dry sweetness that surrounds you permanently All these were thoughts of that day, but they didn't bother me and I lost sight of OfG. Shortly after that I registered in this nice forum here (greetings to everyone who reads this :)) and extinguished me samples after samples of all kinds of scents that let my nose mature. The more I smelled, the clearer it became: OfG was something special, damn, if only I had remembered the name. An eternal research and I saw at Google pictures this bottle again, which you just can't misjudge. Quick to Parfumo and entered in a sharing (greetings to Timsfrags). After a scarce week he was there, excited like nothing with Maxibrief stormed into the apartment, torn open, sprayed and ...... Ahhhhh. Yes. That's him Opening (now) earthy/medical/animal (no goat house), spicy, wonderful! Later the animal/dirty notes fade away and you get an absolute dream of a fragrance that inspires me like no other and creates a cloud of perfume in which I don't want to change a single nuance. Lovely spice with this note of fresh popcorn (which I really can't describe better)
The good thing is that you pull this cloud a long way behind you and it is big. After 12h I was asked about it. You can only get it out of your clothes by washing them.
Recently, the bottle has finally been drawn in.

A quick look at the packaging: Behind by Kilian the best thing I have bought so far at Parfums.
Flacon: It's just as high quality as I expected from the pictures; only the pattern cracks audibly whenever you press it a little.
The atomizer doses carefully, but this is good. 2 splashes are enough (for me) completely.

Conclusion: Favourite scent

Open sesame!
A fragrance from a thousand and one nights, not necessarily, but a very beautiful one. I would like to finally have an oud perfume that shines mainly with oud. "Oud for Greatness" does not. The oud is implied and very tame. There is nothing animalistic for me, not even musk. The spiciness of nutmeg comes out well in the beginning. The lavender is fortunately not too pushy, because I don't like that.

But why the strange title now? Well, after a while, this perfume mainly smells of - sesame, although this note isn't even included. At first I found it surprising and a bit strange. But in the meantime I like the scent very much. It is very powerful and lasts long.
SarahR
Is it also available in everyday use?
So wow ... what a smell, what can I say? I have become aware of this miraculous scent through YouTube, if we are honest with ourselves.
Everybody likes to get a little bit of inspiration every now and then, don't they?
And, if we are honest, everyone or really almost everyone has promoted this fragrance and praised it to the skies I don't think anybody who has been on social media, in the fragrance world lately, has gotten all the way around rum
All right, if so many people think he's so great then he's worth a test, isn't he?
So I booted into the nearest perfumery and looked for the good thing Again, the tester was expected to teach ... annoying.
Sniffed the cap and what do I smell in the top note?
Is this a resemblance to the notorious MFK Baccarat Rouge 540?
Yes definitely, but what exactly is it that the two have in common? If you ask me, it's definitely the saffron in the top note.

Well then a few weeks later again for testing and lo and behold, finally I was able to spray him properly.

Wow... just wow...
Fabulous
Dreamlike
Wonderful
Unique? No unique definitely not,
but craftsmanship
Great
a little masterpiece.

A few hours later, once strolled (and shopped) through the whole city
i can still smell it, and like, as strongly as if I had sprayed it just 5 minutes ago.

And what a projection, madness
Back in the perfumery again, and the good piece for a proud price with wrapped.

At home the next day test a round one.
What does the environment say about it, the family and friends? Well well then, carefully apply 2 sprayers (which in my opinion is really sufficient) and ask carefully.
Phew the reactions were rather restrained, if not even negative.
One comment was
Well, if you want to reach into the toilet, you can wear something like that What was that I heard correctly?
Klostein pfff like impudent, but good tastes are known to be different.

So he was also allowed to go to the office, and asked the colleague carefully if she noticed anything Hm, I was wondering what it smells like here ... you noticed it when you came in, it's INTERRESANT"
Aaaaa, definitely not the reaction I was hoping for either.

If we are all honest with each other, we do not wear scents to smell, was taken, liked and leave a good impression. Even the fact that we can get to know each other can judge and evaluate us just by what we are wearing?
About our scent, what we can tell with it before we even exchange a word?

So from there probably only few can tell me that they carry fragrances only for themselves and exclusively for themselves.
Because everybody wants to be liked and I think that 98% of all people here have at least one Crowd Pleaser in their collection.
Obviously, for a job interview, you don't choose the strongest oud scent you can find in your collection, but rather choose songs that are clean and unobtrusive.

Therefore I must confess that this fragrance rarely comes out of my closet, only on days when I know I will not kill anyone or get on their nerves with it I can't say exactly what it is, but in comparison, the MFK 540 is definitely well received by my environment and I have already received great compliments for it
Therefore I must say, as well as this masterpiece (in my eyes)
also liked it is definitely nothing for the office or everyday use, so for me the more everyday version of the MFK 540.

The fragrance is definite, dark, mysterious, smoky, sweet and seductive
But he has to be liked
Therefore, it is questionable whether he is only a perfume for true lovers or also for the masses is suitable.
(YouTube wants us to believe that everyone loves him and gives compliments, my experience says otherwise)

Razvanyke
Don´t believe the hype! Very green weird perfume
I had so many expectations from this perfume, after seeing youtube reviews and all the good words here I was expecting to love this scent.

Yesterday I tried it in a perfumery, the opening was really nice, I liked it but once the drydown started .. I wanted to remove it from my skin as quick as possible.

It has a certain raw green note like in Kalan/Baccarat Rouge which it turns my stomach updside down .. not sure it is the lavender, because I really enjoy that smell by itself.

I needed to wash the shirt and use oil and soap (same as for Kalan) to remove it from my skin, bur the longevity is quite strong, even after this action was noticeable on my wrist.

Maybe it is my weird taste in perfumes or one of the notes in the drydown is not for me, but this is a strong no thank you. I do hope I have not offended any O F G fans. LG
The answer is yes
I really doubted whether I should buy this fragrance or not, as it is not exactly cheap for a blind purchase. I was afraid that it was too masculine, dark or powerful ... and the answer is yes, it is masculine, dark and powerful, but still or just because of that it captivated me.

It is a powerful, smoky oud that is nevertheless easy to carry. The scents are perfectly balanced. Unfortunately, I haven't found out who created this fragrance. But it must be a talented nose.

It is a mysterious, magnetic and sensual fragrance with a power and depth that makes me think of a magical elixir that makes everyone who wears it feel great. It is not called Oud for Greatness for nothing.

Sillage and durability are extraordinarily good. Definitely a fragrance for cold times and special occasions, and although masculine, it can very well be worn by a woman.

And yes, it's very hyped up, but rightly so!

The greatness
After reviewing other comments I can definitely conclude that we all have different noses. Oud for greatness is definitely not an overly sweet fragrance like a few of y’all are describing it. It does have a slight sweet touch but that’s it. It’s much more spicy , woody and smoky. Great for a night out and it can be worn by a woman too even though it leans more masculine.
NoFace69
Oud for Greatness and the unspoken promise
If you put yourself under the veil of perfume every morning, purely in an effort to receive compliments, you will often find your luck after just a few minutes in the drugstore. Someone who tries to make a statement on the level of smell is condemned in his empathy to use his previous knowledge to choose the scent that is most close to his statement from the underlying selection. Once you have set yourself the goal of finding a perfume that uncompromisingly reflects you, you are looking for a perfume that most likely has no chance of survival on the market. The realization that you are always just the buyer is sobering, because it is rarely the quality that makes you chase your money. It is much more likely that you catch yourself spending your money on a promise.
But what is really frightening is how precisely and accommodatingly the fragrance Oud for Greatness performs this tightrope act.

Oud for Greatness is top notch! The fragrance is intoxicatingly opulent and has that certain something
The fragrance begins in the first second with a very abstract sweetness. One could say it is the smell of sugar in its pure form. It is as if every particle has been taken out of the sugar until only fibres can be recognised, which consist of nothing but messenger substances that create a feeling of happiness in us. There is little room for interpretation and associations are categorically rejected by the sensation. It is almost as if the reaction is the only indication that something can actually be smelled. It is this sweetness that gives the fragrance a beguiling character: It arouses curiosity, it fills; it is addictive. Immediately afterwards, the oud joins in with all the other scents that support the overall work.
The oud is woody and very fine, not a trace of animalistic and the smoky character it gets only in the later course. But there is always only one nuance and the smoky character never drowns out the woody part of the oud. There is a certain depth, or rather another layer, given to the fragrance by the oud, with the ostentatious sweetness providing the base note and the rest filling in the highs. The lavender provides a balanced freshness and nutmeg adds a bit of pep, so the fragrance finally becomes a bit more tangible, and they not only make the overall picture a bit more fruity in combination with the sweetness, but with the patchouli-musk base they also take responsibility for the masculine vein that is inherent in the fragrance. It should be mentioned that no note plays by itself, but all notes are well coordinated with each other. That makes all the notes individually recognizable, but if you concentrate on something else, even for a split second, the boundaries blur again and everything becomes one. After a few hours the oud gives way and becomes smokier and smokier, the patchouli takes up more space for itself and slowly comes to the fore, but without completely displacing the oud. As a result, the fragrance becomes increasingly velvety and grainy as time goes by, until it reaches the base note, which is surprisingly much more classic than the top note would have suggested. Once you get to the base note, the fragrance has shed its fruity character and appears somewhat drier and spicy, perhaps even a bit leathery. The oud no longer steams, the freshness fades away and it gets a bit cooler. One is left with a still image that doesn't change much in the picture, but only decreases in intensity.

The performance is strong and the fragrance is very dense and engaging. Although the sweetness is transparent and gives a transparent feeling, it is much more glassy than porous.

The fragrance cuts the best figure on special occasions and occasions. As soon as it begins to dawn, the cool night forms a beautiful contrast to the opulence and the full charm of the fragrance becomes apparent. The fragrance is unisex with a masculine tendency, without excluding the feminine.

At this point it should be said that the best advisor is and remains a sample or filling.
Oh my GOud
When I bought a perfume, the saleswoman kindly threw two samples of this fragrance into my bag.

When I sprayed the fragrance for the first time at home I was totally amazed, because I expected something much more "animalistic", rugged by this name. But I noticed a really round, slightly sweet, for me somehow "fruity", very pleasant smell, which is still perceptible for me even after several hours in the air. Every time I turn around I think to myself: "Now it will surely soon be no longer to be smelled". But to my enthusiasm this did not happen even after more than 7 hours.

Durability, Sillage and Durt really top. I can only warmly recommend it to everyone. Will be for me, except in summer during the day, a new permanent guest in the collection. Spring, autumn, winter and also in the office I could imagine everything well. In the office, however, max. 2 sprays.
Tauruscent
Its a long way to greatness...so they say
According to Initio, all their perfumes are mainly about two things. Traditional perfume craft & seduction.
Initio redefines quality. This is not just a saying, because if you really compare what you get for your money, the prices of some products from Creed, Bond no.9, Byredo, Clive Cristian, Jo Malone do not seem justified.
I will come back to the packaging later.

To the fragrance :

Oud stands for happiness, harmony and healing. In OFG (ouf for greatness), as the name says, everything revolves around oud.
Real Oud & natural agar wood oil. ( not listed here ).
Say the origin of the oud. Infected and non-infected eaglewood combined together if I understand it correctly.
Unfortunately I could not find out in the internet which oud it is exactly.
Against the claim that the oud cannot be smelled here at all... Surprise! But OFG also smells of oud.
But it is rather "fresh" as far as you can say that about oud.
light, woody, dry, slightly medicinal. Hardly resinous and not in the category "stable".
Anyone who has ever used essential oils, whether for cooking or in an aroma diffuser, will find that OFG essences are very natural and voluminous. The fragrance lasts very long. I can perceive my scent bumble myself all the time.
Until I take a shower. And even after that a short movement can make a little touch of OFG perceptible again.
Despite the strength of the fragrance, I fortunately don't get any headaches, no matter how deep I stick my nose into the crook of my arm. Quite different from some leather chords or molecules like cashmeran. This is always a very good sign for me.

Does it smell like baccarat? Yes. I understand that the spicy sweet saffron is now associated with it. I can see the similarity in the air as well as on the strip. But apart from the fact that both fragrances are beast mode performers, and contain saffron and musk components, the fragrances don't really have much in common. On my skin OFG at least goes its own way.

The sweet opening is determined by saffron and nutmeg. Velvety floral lavender balances and soothes. Next to the light woody oud, comes a patchouli which gives OFG this mysterious aura. I first thought after a spray and because of the musk, the sillage and durability is a bit overrated, but after a few times of wearing OFG is the undisputed new beast on the shelf.
A lot of people online say he's sexy? I don't find the fragrance to be very inviting now, and I don't think it's something you want to snuggle up to directly.
This mystical aura reminds me of scents like black orchid. Of course it smells completely different, but they would have the same colour for me. Black, purple and gold. OFG is also not repellent, definitely the scent is extraordinary and interesting.
The sweet one gives the fragrance enough buoyancy and the patchouli is more supportive than dominant. The lavender grinds all edges of the freshly broken light wood sufficiently so that it does not look too sharp and obtrusive.
2-3 sprayers should really be enough.
By the way, the sprayer is a very economical one. It does not produce a wide, large mist, but rather atomizes in a targeted and remarkably low dose. Fits the content very well and I guess this is no coincidence.
The fragrance is fairly linear after the first 15 minutes, pushing for the next 5-6 hours.
With liquorice and mystical sound, a clean heart of oud and slightly human musk will take you to the next shower. Sufficient durability ! Very long. My bedroom still smelled after 14 hours. And my sweater in the laundry infected the whole wash load with OFG.
I would like to say that the bottle does not only look great on the photo. Just take a look at the example of Nasomatto Blamage !! :)
the haptically punched plastic badge that encases the fragrance cracks when picked up in the hand in some places. It's kind of weird and annoying.
The packaging is simply top from front to back. Probably the most aesthetic perfume I ever had the pleasure of unpacking.
I would like to get other Initios, but I would say that they would all be worn in the same situations.
There will probably be 2 more fragrances released in the Black Gold Project series. And even a Rehab in a white bottle will not remain alone forever.
This was already announced at the Atomic rose release in Cannes 2019.
I bought the fragrance in a perfumery. Incredible six ! not rehearsals were included + 2x skincare and a small molten brown shower gel. That tastes good !
But I think the great employee also liked our conversation very much. In any case, she said that she is really happy that I am using this fragrance and that it was a lot of fun. Me too.
I'm going to go back to more good perfumeries. Especially as I can really walk, because it's only a five-minute walk. :)
Well in my case : Its a short way to greatness and Initio was right... this perfume craft seduced me
Lennsen20
Medieval Spectacle at the push of a spray button
First and foremost, the bottle triggered me. This design alone was enough for a purchase I thought. I took all the reviews and comments on the fragrance, checked my emails first thing in the day, thought of how it could smell and made blind comparisons to possible similar perfumes. About 10 times I thought about buying it blind in a weak moment, because the delivery of the whole bottle is faster at ALzD; fortunately I stood firm :D about 250 Euro for a little liquid on blind would have been crazy.
I almost gave up hope when the mail came. On torn the whole and said scent applied to the wrist:
Well, I didn't expect that. It starts out as sweet heavy smoke, light zoo aroma. Mega disappointment. I pulled myself together inside and remembered that many niche fragrances need time to develop. And people like that unfolded. Mega simple.
After some time, sitting in the living room and playing with the console, I noticed a scent I knew. As a child, I loved to go to medieval markets. And there are usually stalls where soaps, incense sticks and other similarities are traded. This perfume smells the same to me. After smoke, sweet balsam, earth, resin and last but not least an extremely delicious spicy and almost fresh patchouli. The smell is awesome.
I have to buy it. For very special occasions. But it can wait a while ;)

MariaSMariaS 20 hours ago
If you could smell words, this is how the word “greatness”would smell. It’s more male perfume but I can’t just not recognise the perfection!
LasagneLasagne 1 month ago
Expected wonders, but... Strongly reminded of Swiss Arabian Casablanca, just a tad bit less sweet.
TRehfTRehf 4 months ago
Very pleasant Oud. Woody-spicy with 10h+ longevity. Best for autumn/winter. Comparisons with BR540 because of saffron note. They’re not same
Dan81Dan81 6 months ago
I really wanted to like it but it's not my taste. Opening is too medicinal. Pleasant sweetness does evolve but I don't enjoy wearing it
BejanoirBejanoir 7 months ago
The opening hits you in the face, and then the magic happens. This needs to be weared, to be fully understood, and not on paper or hand.

by Jomvaf
by AnjaTom
by Iluvdawid
by Iluvdawid

Popular Initio

Rehab by Initio Side Effect by Initio Absolute Aphrodisiac by Initio Psychedelic Love by Initio Blessed Baraka by Initio Atomic Rose by Initio Mystic Experience by Initio Magnetic Blend 8 by Initio Divine Attraction by Initio Magnetic Blend 7 by Initio High Frequency by Initio Addictive Vibration by Initio Magnetic Blend 1 by Initio