Oud for Greatness 2018

Oud for Greatness by Initio
Top 68 in Unisex Perfume
Oud for Greatness is a popular perfume by Initio for women and men and was released in 2018. The scent is woody-spicy. Projection and longevity are above-average. It is still available to purchase. Pronunciation
Scent goes well with Ôud Bouquet

Top Notes Top NotesLavender, Saffron, Nutmeg
Heart Notes Heart NotesOud
Base Notes Base NotesPatchouli, Musk

Submitted by Taamii, last update on 22.04.2021.

Oud Yes/No
Much has already been written about the fragrance, many praise him about the sky me included. The "Oudexperts" here say there is no oud in it. Maybe, who knows for sure if and how much oud a manufacturer really uses. The name Oud for Greatness suggests it at least if slightly exaggerated but I at least perceive it slightly at the beginning with a nice smoky woody note. Then there's the saffron and a slight sweetness (yes, reminiscent of Baccarat Rouge) that becomes more and more dominant as it goes on, gorgeous. The smoky woody stays in the background until the end and so beautifully interwoven. This makes it so much better than Baccarat for me but of course that's a matter of taste. Hype or not but I buy or find a fragrance but not cool just because he is celebrated by so many Youtubern. I think I'm hyper resistant. That's the great thing about the souk, you order a small sample and either it fits or not.
I find Oud for Greatness just mega and a flacon will definitely move in with me
What should I say? Overhyped? definitely maybe
As a fragrance lover, you can not get around the OFG. The is always described so beautiful and great, that I have also purchased.

Thought wow there comes a Beast on me "excited huhu".... bought-unpacked-tried
Yes ok nice - comfortable to wear soft not annoying.
For my sensation always and everywhere wearable, find him not heavy. Also unisex with a touch more into the masculine.
No oppressive sweetness and also no dominating oud. Nice one and the bottle comes well in the collection!

A Beast it is not and also clear already smelled and namely Baccarat Rouge 540 mixed with Tom Ford Oud Wood.
Both scents are among my favorite fragrances I need a mixture of them, thought Yes but I actually always reach for BR540 or TF Oud Wood. If I want Oud Oud the Acqua di Parma Oud is my go to (but that's another story ;))

What should I say that hasn't already been described ....
In any case, a very hyped fragrance for me alone from the olfactory experience already overhyped
Well done - definitely
Unique for some - maybe

In the end it's all subjective but I can see why some celebrate it so much... just not me I sold it ... hihi
Scharlih82
Hey Oud, don't make it bad
You can't get around Initio OfG at the moment. So I had to test it once, to see what is to all the adulation. And if the expectation is great, we all know what happens.
So, best to keep expectations low. I sprayed myself a few puffs and thought at first, "yes, starts promising" Some spice, not too sweet and, after a bit of searching, I also discovered oud.
Then I thought, "Oops, but it's called Oud for Greatness" So of course I expect oud. And that in its greatest form.
"Okay", I thought "that will surely develop". And it did. But not as expected, that the oud comes out even more clearly, no on the contrary, it warps somewhere in the background.
Instead, a certain sweetness slowly emerges and takes over more and more. "Hmm, what's that? Ah, it reminds me of popcorn"
I keep smelling my wrist, looking for anything woody - oud. And sometimes I catch a little of it, but primarily sweet, caramelized popcorn remains.
The projection is okay the durability a tiny bit disappointing for the price. I think if a perfume costs over 200€ per 100ml, then the durability must be top.
So, all in all a good fragrance - albeit with a false title-, which is too expensive for me, for what you get in the end
A star in the spotlight
Now it has come in the last weeks and months so that this fragrance gets felt on every facet of the social media Screentime getsbzw has got. Be it the well known perfume-YouTouber, the esteemed fragrance blogger or even the best friend, who is as long as not yet in the world of fragrances, let alone deals with niche. Every sparrow in the village can say something about this fragrance, or has heard of it and so I made the decision to follow this -yet considerable- media presence and explore what's behind it all.

No sooner said than done, so I order a filling and as soon as I unpacked this and opened the cap of the atomizer (because some juice had leaked out and collected between cap and spray head), came to me a surge of fragrance against the me already times briefly pause let and I thought to myself: well Holla the Wood Fairy! Where does this lead now? And does he keep what he promises, he is really "Greatness"?
This I would like to answer later, we now come to the fragrance.

In the opening, one takes a complex, but wonderfully finely balanced combination of saffron, lavender and nutmeg was, whereby the nutmeg here but the first fiddle plays and the lavender and saffron rather content with second fiddle or viola. The nutmeg note is not pungent or acrid, but convincingly present with recognition value. Shortly after you feel like you're woven into an oriental bazaar, of spices and various colorful textures, the oud note emerges for the first time. Quite soft and gentle, no hint of animalism and medicinal bitterness or obtrusiveness, as you know them from other oud fragrances.
Then join soon also the patchouli-musk combination that give the whole a consolidated deep base tone or base level and make it another multilayered, but this complexity remains at no time intangible or inaccessible, because these different nuances were so finely interwoven that they remind me of the homogeneity (and yet simultaneous power and presence) and Gesamtkunstwerkscharakter of MFK fragrances (especially Oud Satin Mood). The longer it stays on the skin and develops, the spicy parts blur and evaporate more and more, the woody and especially the smoky undertone gets louder and louder with crescendo and now fully, with the patchouli, takes over. So it remains then also long until he slowly after some time, as he came with a veil wrapped, abbbt.

A few more words about the performance. I got two images with this scent.One day when I wore it, the first hour was marked by searching for the siliage and projection, where I almost felt a little lost and the performance lasted just 6-8 hours. Since it was the first time I tested it extensively on my skin and was even (prematurely) a bit disappointed in the sense of "That's it?", I thought to myself this can't be it, but the following two days I was taught better. Not even 5 minutes after applying it, an almost impenetrable veil of fragrance surrounded me, which almost suffocated my girlfriend during the following car ride. Also the longevity showed itself from another side, even after 10 hours, he was still well perceptible on the skin.

Now I would still like to talk about the price. Yes, you pay a lot of money for this fragrance. And yes, who wants animalic, powerful oud here is in the wrong place. But if you want to have a wonderfully fine and thoughtful fragrance concept that can impress fragrance novices as well as advanced, which is not stingy with performance, but this shakes casually from the flacon, which is here in my opinion arrived at a very correct address. The fragrance fits best for me in the cool autumn days, when it is already mid-single digits in the evening and you are no longer slain by the projection (which can happen here and there). The masculine tendency is not to deny him, but I can imagine this fragrance on others.

Is he now Great, or really Greatness? I would say both. For me, it was "only" Great at the beginning, but it has worked its way towards real Greatness. Is it "Oud" for Greatness? I'd say let's just leave it at Greatness.
Oud for... Mediocrity?
Quite so blatantly I would perhaps not express it but I must say that with a fragrance has never been so conflicted as with OFG.

The fact is: the fragrance is good. But "Great?" From my perspective, there are a few things that keep it from being truly "Great".

The opening definitely deserves the title! It really smells outrageously good. Lots of saffron, lots of wood, complexity! Oud? Rather less. But a tiny little impression into the world of the precious "black gold" you get anyway. So definitely suitable for beginners, as there is no trace of animalic or anything like that here. I have made in relation to my fellow men and colleagues really no negative experience with the fragrance.

I'm not really a big fan of linear scents but in the case of OFG, THAT would have been the quality that would have given the scent a 9 or even 10.

Why? Because I find that he, the more he goes into the drydown in character and complexity and thus unfortunately loses its appeal. After the really exceptionally good opening, it drifts relatively quickly in a mainly sweet, almost boring direction, which then has no recognition value for me. Alas. Where has the saffron gone? Where are the woods? And where did all the cotton candy come from all of a sudden? After a few hours, I'm mainly left with a rather indefinable sweetness on my skin that lacks the depth and darkness you'd expect from most oud scents, and which I think could come from a good but random designer scent.

Please don't get me wrong. The fragrance is by no means bad! Maybe I just expected too much from it because of the hype or the fragrance does not work on my skin. Because I would also describe the durability rather than "OK".

I'm also not a big fan of putting fragrances in relation to the price but in this case I just have to say that I just expected more in the price range. The fragrance DNA is super for "beginners" in the niche world. The related price DNA rather not. :D
Love at second sight
I am a rank beginner when it comes to perfume and especially niche fragrances as well as fragrance descriptions. I can not help but despite the lack of expertise to write a comment on this fragrance.
I ordered a bottling of Oud for Greatness full of expectations and was at first a little negatively surprised at the first spray. It smelled very medicinal in the first moment. So I had not imagined it. But instead of washing it off, I waited and what came out was something wonderfully spicy, incense-like that I totally fell in love with. As I said, I can't identify and name individual notes yet but the medicinal disappears in the first hour and gives way to a great spicy woody composition that reminds me of my travels in India. Since then I am addicted to the fragrance, although I actually classify it as a bit more masculine, I like to wear it, on my husband I like it almost even better. On the skin it easily survives the whole day, on clothes it is still noticeable even after a 30 degree wash. In addition, it fills the entire room with only two sprays, even the next day, so more than 24 hours. Sillage and durability are therefore incomparable in addition to the class fragrance and I urgently need to get me the bottle. I am very much in love and very happy to have found this fragrance. I wouldn't recommend blind buy though. Rather test before. :-)
Ischgelroi
Why don't I smell any oud here?
I received my bottling of Oud for greatness yesterday and was already very excited about it, since this perfume has experienced a lot of hype. I can not understand the hype unfortunately at all, because I had to determine unfortunately on my skin almost 85% similarity with Baccarat Rouge edp and Extrait. I can't detect any oud note here unfortunately, somehow I only smell a sweet saffron note and similarity to BR 540 and honestly I like BR 540 even better. I can't recommend Oud for greatness unfortunately and I won't buy a bottle of it. Oud for greatness was compared by my friend with the smell of cream sauce and came thus not at all well, unfortunately I must say here at the end of my comment that I am extremely disappointed by Oud for greatness, somehow I had hoped for much more and also a clear Oud note.

Ptsau
Best Commercial Oud Ever!
I heard it’s super good so I got a sample of it. OMG! It’s amazing and I had to get a full bottle immediately. It’s oud dominant scents but not smelling old because of the sweet touch to it although I know it doesn’t really contain much real oud in it but I don’t care. It is the best imitated oud accord scent ever. I’m so addicted to it. So unique and complex. It even smells better after the dry down. It is just a masterpiece and will get you addicted. It’s expensive but it has enormous performance. Last 12+ hours and project big. You need to go easy on trigger so a bottle will go a long way. I do think it worth the money.
IYI
Who would have thought that the antichrist is a nutmeg
This fragrance is like a conspiracy theory, sweet outside inside quite sinister more appearance than reality.
So pleasing so seductive so dangerous as a dystopia that nips any hope in the bud.
Nico202122
I know that smell from somewhere
If I had to say what that smell was? Baccarat Rouge 540 Extrait de Parfum combined with Oud Extrait de Parfum by Maison Francis Kurkdjian.
Well, one thing's for sure. If you love Baccarat Rouge, you'll love the smell of it. The saffron is clearly noticeable and in combination with the oud is really fantastic. Like Baccarat Rouge, the perfume reminds me of a delicious sweet

MrHonestMrHonest 2 months ago
Lock BR540 in a haunted house and wait 'till it DIES. Awful stuff. Some redeeming sweetness, but it's a chemistry experiment gone wrong imo.
BoBoChampBoBoChamp 3 months ago
A slightly leathery, yet rather linear, warm and smooth spicy/sweet oriental-woody Fall fragrance, balanced by a gentle musky-woody base.
NicSealNicSeal 4 months ago
An intoxicating, mysterious, and unique fragrance.
MariaSMariaS 5 months ago
If you could smell words, this is how the word “greatness”would smell. It’s more male perfume but I can’t just not recognise the perfection!
LasagneLasagne 6 months ago
Expected wonders, but... Strongly reminded of Swiss Arabian Casablanca, just a tad bit less sweet.
TRehfTRehf 9 months ago
Very pleasant Oud. Woody-spicy with 10h+ longevity. Best for autumn/winter. Comparisons with BR540 because of saffron note. They’re not same
Dan81Dan81 11 months ago
I really wanted to like it but it's not my taste. Opening is too medicinal. Pleasant sweetness does evolve but I don't enjoy wearing it
BejanoirBejanoir 12 months ago
The opening hits you in the face, and then the magic happens. This needs to be weared, to be fully understood, and not on paper or hand.

by Jomvaf
by AndreiSmd93
by Iluvdawid
by Iluvdawid

Popular Initio

Rehab by Initio Side Effect by Initio Absolute Aphrodisiac by Initio Psychedelic Love by Initio Blessed Baraka by Initio Atomic Rose by Initio Musk Therapy by Initio Mystic Experience by Initio Magnetic Blend 8 by Initio Divine Attraction by Initio High Frequency by Initio Magnetic Blend 7 by Initio Addictive Vibration by Initio Magnetic Blend 1 by Initio