Pyrola

Pyrola by Insel Borkum
8.0 / 10     1 RatingRatingsRatings
Pyrola is a perfume by Insel Borkum for women and men. The release year is unknown. The scent is green-fresh. It is still in production.

Winter green

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 15.11.2020.

Baeumchen
Let me set the record straight
Since I spent a few weeks in rehab on the East Frisian island of Borkum in autumn 2017, I have been drawn there again and again.

In 2019 I read about the island perfume Pyrola in the island shopping guide Kieken & Kopen in the short info about the North Sea pharmacy and bought a bottle. That is only available there and in a 10 ml bottle. I got a little info about the perfume. You can find it in my photo album and while reading the text I became suspicious. Well, there is a different time frame for the appearance than in Parfumos database. I wanted to submit a correction in the Research function, but I found that difficult because I didn't have any exact sources.
In October 2020 I was again on my place for body, mind and soul and went on historical traces of Pyrola.

The year of publication 1980 is definitely not correct, because Pyrola has been around for over 100 years. The year 1980 was noted/registered as a trademark by the former owner of the pharmacy.
The entry was recently updated: https://tmdb.eu/de/marke/DE-3020192056535-borkum-pyrola-parfum.html.

The pharmacist, the Nordsee Pharmacy, enlightened me and was surprised when I explained the side of Parfumo and to Pyrola to him and showed it on the mobile phone. He was very surprised, where the old bottle picture came from.

The information from the pharmacist and my research:

The first owner of the pharmacy, Johann Bakker, already had Pyrola in 1897 not only the Pyrola Cologne in his assortment, but also soaps, hair tonic, ...

Pyrola was already an export hit in the 1920s and was sprayed over the spa guests.
Some years ago the Borkum was full of the dune plant Pyrola. This plant is only rarely and sporadically found anymore and is under nature protection.
The Heimatverein, which also runs the Dykhus Museum, organized an exhibition in 2016 on the
Borkum plants:

In the museum you can follow the history of the bathing culture and the former Pyrola flacons, products are also exhibited.

I have probably been to that beautiful museum before, but I did not pay special attention to Pyrola. I will make up for that and maybe take some pictures, too.

The Nordseeapotheke no longer produces the perfume itself and there are no longer the other products as there were then.

I find Pyrola's flacon beautiful to the touch and also beautifully designed.
It is a pouring bottle with sweet, green, fresh and slightly herbaceous contents for both sexes.
Their fragrance is one of the "quieter" representatives, which simply smells pleasant and doesn't attract much attention when it does. My husband and I haven't tested it yet. But we both like this nice smelling souvenir. I don't notice a fragrance development.
Not only Pyrola smells good, but also the whole island and I love the autumn there.

Since 2019 the small natural cosmetics shop with soap factor green & valuable has the EdP Eiland in its assortment. I have submitted this to Parfumo and will test it soon

Moin von der Insel! Am Nordstrand
Borkumer Badekarren
by Baeumchen
Von der Insel Borkum mitgebracht. Nur erhältlich in der Nordseeapotheke.