A Scent Florale (2010)

A Scent Florale by Issey Miyake

A Scent Florale is a perfume by Issey Miyake for women and was released in 2010. The scent is floral-fresh. It was last marketed by Shiseido Group / Beauté Prestige International.

Galbanum, Hyacinth, Jasmine, Peony, Rose, Ylang-ylang

Submitted by DonVanVliet, last update on 20.04.2019

7.5 10.0 6.0/10

No plant life was sacrificed in the production of this perfume...
At the opposite end of the spectrum of clean musk skin scents lie creations such as Issey Miyake A SCENT FLORALE. Having never tried its namesake, I wasn't entirely sure what to expect from this, although I did read some of the fascinating and wildly conflicting reviews of A SCENT, which really piqued my interest in these perfumes. Our own beloved Miss K, see below, is apparently nauseated by the original, but others seem to like it.

Usually when anyone else is nauseated by a perfume, that's a big red flag to me, so I may have difficulties with A SCENT, but as far as A SCENT FLORALE is concerned, I have to say that I am very much reminded of Gucci ENVY. This is a powerful synthetic green floral composition, with an emphasis on the green. The responsible notes listed in the hierarchy are hyacinth and galbanum, but what I smell is that über-green synthetic undoubtedly present in most mainstream "green" perfumes. It's very strong and tends to have close to grating longevity.

I am a bit surprised, to be honest, at how green this creation is. My expectations may have been affected by the light pink box in which my sample vial came, and even the name suggests that the fragrance will be light: A SCENT. That kind of name usually means we're going to be journeying through anti-perfume perfume territory, in the land of laundry musk scents indistinguishable from fabric softener. Which I recently tried, by the way, because when our new washing machine arrived and the old one was taken away, we found a big bottle of fabric softener which had been left behind by a former resident. It turns out that fabric softener leaves clothes smelling very much like many mainstream designer fragrances being sold today! But I digress.

A SCENT FLORALE is not a weak and timid scent at all. It's a big fat floral green that will clobber you and everyone around you if you over apply. That must be why I've seen those tiny .8 ounce bottles around--the same size as the ones in which Thierry Mugler ANGEL is sold. Of course this composition is totally different in nearly every way, except for one: VOLUME.

The florals in this perfume smell mainly white to me, but I am also pretty sure that they are "abstract". I do not smell peony, so that's good news, since I have a serious problem with synthetic peony, but the jasmine might really be hedione, and I would not call this a rose or a ylang ylang perfume at all. This is "abstract" through and through.
2.5 7.5 5.0/10

Fresh, soapy floral
It's difficult knowing where to start when it comes to describing the way A Scent Florale makes me feel. Thankfully it doesn't repulse me like the original, acrid and green A Scent did, however this fragrance lacks something.

It's fresh, just like its predecessor, however it has lost all its greeness and become more 'pink' and soapy. I'm not really enjoying its girlish charm, and I think the trend of the 'pink' perfume is starting to bore me to tears.

It's very subtle on the skin, so much so that I don't see the point in wearing it. A friend of mine actually mistook this fragrance as the scent of my shampoo, so I can't say that it has a real 'perfumey' vibe. It's one of those pleasant, inoffensive type fragrances that aim to please those around you rather than yourself.

Honestly, the scent is not too bad, however when it comes to clean florals, I would much prefer to sniff a bar of jasmine and peony scented soap than spray it on myself. The idea of smelling clean is something that I personally cannot fathom. Clean fragrances leave me uninspired.

I must say that the lasting strength is pretty good, especially since Issey Miyake does attempt to state in big, bold writing that this is an EDP by stating it in the perfume's name. I find that on fabric A Scent Florale tends to radiate a lot stronger, however the skin does lap this stuff up, making it very quiet and subdued.

For the sake of creating a flanker that I can now stomach, since the original A Scent made me nauseous, I am glad that this was released. However, like I unfortunately expected, this was yet another bland and boring soapy floral for me.

by Grazia
by Grazia
by Schnuffi
by Schnuffi

Popular Issey Miyake

L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau Bleue d'Issey pour Homme by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Toilette) by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Sport by Issey Miyake A Scent by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau Majeure d'Issey by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Florale by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Intense by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Absolue by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme (Eau de Toilette Fraîche) by Issey Miyake Le Feu d'Issey Light by Issey Miyake Pleats Please (Eau de Parfum) (2013) by Issey Miyake Pleats Please L'Eau by Issey Miyake A Scent Florale by Issey Miyake Nuit d'Issey Parfum by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey pour Homme Noir Ambré by Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Pure (Eau de Parfum) by Issey Miyake